Guion Slapped With 3 Games

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just imagine if he had also had a couple of fighting dogs and underinflated balls in his car :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

Guion's appeal to be heard on August 24th. Hopefully the appeal takes a few weeks so
He is available for the Seahawks game.

I expect the NFL to make a quick decision. I'd rather have Guion being suspended for the start of the season than to drag this thing well into the year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No matter what happens with Guion's appeal, in a way the whole thing was a win for the Packers. They were able to sign him for less money in yet another "prove it" one year contract, one in which Guion should be highly motivated to show what he can do.

D

Deleted member 6794

No matter what happens with Guion's appeal, in a way the whole thing was a win for the Packers. They were able to sign him for less money in yet another "prove it" one year contract, one in which Guion should be highly motivated to show what he can do.

It´s true the Packers were able to sign Guion for less money because of his arrest. The defense will direly miss him defending the run facing Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles over the first three games though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is from Packers Notes, Defense will miss Guion:
The soon-to-be suspended end has been extremely impressive at his new position. Last season’s mediocre starting nose tackle is much better suited to play outside in a 3-4 scheme. His length, strength and ability to make plays down the line of scrimmage gives him a chance to be a worthy bookend to budding star Mike Daniels – something the D hasn’t had the past couple of years.

http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/defense-will-miss-guion/

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Considering the circumstances in which he found himself, I still think he got off lucky. No jail time and he'll receive about 80% of what his contract calls for which I think will be about $2M. (Plus playoff money!)

I've been encouraged by Mike Pennel's play so far and expect he'll take Guion's spot. I hope he can keep it up and be in the rotation after Guion gets back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Considering the circumstances in which he found himself, I still think he got off lucky. No jail time and he'll receive about 80% of what his contract calls for which I think will be about $2M. (Plus playoff money!)

I agree and I am just really glad that his tires were properly inflated or he might have gotten 4 games. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

Guion will make close to $2.3 million this season when playing in every game after his suspension ends. He'll make another $200K in the playoffs with the Packers winning the Super Bowl.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cops let him off easy but the NFL is reaffirming it's message that this type of behavior is not tolerated. I have no problem with it from a football fan perspective. I'm sad as a Packers fan, but more like a parent disappointed in the bad choice of a child. My biggest hope is that he learned something.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The cops let him off easy but the NFL is reaffirming it's message that this type of behavior is not tolerated. I have no problem with it from a football fan perspective. I'm sad as a Packers fan, but more like a parent disappointed in the bad choice of a child. My biggest hope is that he learned something.
I also hope that his replacements use this opportunity to turn him into a full time backup after he returns. That would be really sweet music. It's a big opportunity for a few guys.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I think he'll be a tremendous help stopping the run. This team is a convincing 3-0 without him, can only get better with him.

Take us back to the promised land fellas. :)

H

HardRightEdge

and don't all 3 contracts expire next year? ted's gonna have his hands full.
Pennel is also a restricted FA for 2016 2017, so that's the entire base rotation over the next 2 years.

James Jones is on a one year deal, Neal and Perry are FAs, Barclay too. Crosby is looking like he's having a career year. Add Hayward to the list. JJ, Perry and Hayward are probably gone unless in the off chance they agree to very modest deals. Barclay has been handy, if merely serviceable, and with most of the O-Line hitting free agency in 2017 you'd think he'd be kept around. Neal is solid and versatile.

The Packers currently have $123 mil in current cap commitments for 2016.

Projections for the 2016 cap are frequently reported in the $150 - $160 mil range. Let's split the difference and call it $155 mil. Using that assumption, along with the $11 mil in current cap space that can be carried over (assuming no further IR assignments/FA signings/PS promotions), Thompson/Ball will have $44 mil to work with. Of course subtractions need to made for the 2016 draft class and perhaps some injury replacement signings this season and next, with a minimum $5 mil held in emergency reserve at the start of 2016. Let's call it $38 mil to work with.

So, on the surface, that $38 mil should be adequate to get done what needs to be done for 2016. But what about the cap that will need to be carried over to 2017, where the following players will be FAs:

Sitton
Lang
Bakhtiari
Tretter (as a possible replacement for one of the above)
Lacy
Peppers (likely finished by then, but replacing that production will be quite difficult)
Hyde
Datone Jones (can he become a player worth keeping?)
Barrington / Palmer
Elliott (restricted; if he's a productive/high snap count guy in 2016 with Neal and/or Perry departing, he might draw a second round tender, maybe as high as first round tender if he proves up)
Pennel (restricted; see comments on Elliott above)

Taking a 2 year view, Thompson and Ball will have more than their hands full.

We explored this issue at some length in the off season. My conclusion then, as it is now, is that 2015 and 2016 are a prime window before an apparent wall in 2017. Outstanding drafts in 2016 and 2017 could neutralize the affect; mediocre drafts will likely prove problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
and don't all 3 contracts expire next year? ted's gonna have his hands full.
Yes, same as every year. Difficult decisions to make, sometimes made by other teams willing to spend more than we can. Ted has a difficult job but does it better than almost all of his peers.

Staff online

Latest posts