Guion Slapped With 3 Games

H

HardRightEdge

Sadly, some kids don't have good parental role models and those kids view successful high profile athletes as "role models", someone they want to be just like. Their life guides are coaches, some who may only be focussed on winning at any cost. Few even make it to the college level, yet alone the pro level. Bottom line, for me, some of these clowns that have made it to the NFL and don't think that the rules of society apply to them, need a wake up call and a message to all "We don't care how talented you are, your act isn't acceptable in the NFL."
That's certainly a valid viewpoint, but one evidently not shared by the viewing public, otherwise they would turn off the TV. I'm not sure what you expect from the owners of the NFL, men who have recently entered into the gambling business as a source of revenue...they're going the other way.

It is unfortunate if a child has no responsible adult to tell them that athletes are just guys doing a job for our entertainment. The words "hero" and "role model" were tossed around with great frequency when I was a kid; you don't hear those words much anymore, for good reason. And not because today's athletes are any different than the ones around when I was a kid. The world is better informed.

Reaction score
This conversation had reached far above my pay grade. Pardon me while I call my social worker

NCcheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of good thoughts. It still amazes me that anyone that makes it to the NFL has not been pre-schooled or listened to advice about when and where to do those types of activities. Or better yet, not to do those things and find other more productive outlets.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He's lucky to have had the resources to hire a guy who appears to be a good attorney. A destitute individual relying on a public defender would likely have pleaded to some jail time. Explain that inequity to a child.

That is my point HRE.....a child hears about their idol doing all of these bad things, yet that player is able to keep playing. Fines and lost revenue doesn't mean a lot to a child, especially when that player is still wearing the colors on Sunday. The message that the child receives is "wow, I can get away with some bad things, yet still play football in the NFL". Chances are that child my end up being the "destitute individual relying on a public defender" you spoke of, because he wasn't taught to see reality clearly.

As far as what can the NFL and Owners do to help change this? First, it starts younger then that, maybe college. But all those involved with these "children" have to focus on teaching the way the world works off the field. How many times do we see athletes get in trouble during their college days and that pattern of behavior continues into their NFL careers. The NFL and owners themselves have to invest in off field education as well as have a hard stance on personal conduct that is acceptable to be a player in the NFL.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think the Coaches and Owners *can* do more to help. If I recall, there was someone on the Packers staff at one time whose sole responsibility was to help the team members learn how to control their money and their lives.

But money and fame mixed together is a heady elixir. I'm not sure even the strictest of Coaches can keep all these young men on the straight and narrow when such an intoxicant is ever present. Think about our hallowed coach of the 60's. He harped on character, fined guys out the *****, and even cracked down on them for not wearing a hat when they were on the street in public. (Remember it was the 60's) Yet some of our heroes of that decade till got in trouble. One was even suspended for a year if I recall.

By the time a young person is old enough to play professional football, the biggest portion of their personality development has already taken place. As you guys have been saying, the work needs to be done when the athletes are little. I'm reminded that 6th, 7th, and 8th grade are the most formative years of a child's life. If they don't get the teaching at that time, it may be a tall task for a Coach or organization to correct it. However, enforcement is often a good deterrent for adults in an employer/employee setting. If players start getting booted from the league on a consistent basis for criminal behavior, perhaps fewer players would engage in it. I don't know what the CBA would have to say on that though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the mid 80's our own Packers had quite a few run ins, Martin, Cade, Lofton. I was not quite a teenager yet and I was able to recognize what these guys did was wrong. Lofton was one of the best receivers in the league and certainly a guy almost every kid that was a fan of the GB Packers looked up to. I remember going to a taping of the James Lofton show and getting like 10 autographed pictures of him when I was in cub scouts. I also never looked at him the same since he had some fun in a stairwell that he shouldn't have been having. I didn't understand everything that happened, but i did understand that he was wrong.

I think kids are capable of a lot more than adults give them credit for. i think they're capable of a lot more than most expect from their kids too, which is how we get what we have.

my sports heroes growing up never made me want to break the law, strike women, or men for that matter, take drugs, inject steroids, lie, steal, or cheat. I had plenty of heroes back then too. as i grew up i realized they are just people too, and there are all sorts of people.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope they returned the money with interest as well as a freshly washed and waxed truck with one of these hanging from the rear view mirror:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion says "All the smoke is starting to clear". So they must have used air freshener in the truck before returning it.
Nice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if Guion is a Packer next year. I'm sure some of it will have to do with what the Packers do with BJ and other personnel. Haven't seen or heard much of anything on the field though during the 9 games Guion has played in. Of course the same could be said about Raji as far as stats go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Will be interesting to see if Guion is a Packer next year. I'm sure some of it will have to do with what the Packers do with BJ and other personnel. Haven't seen or heard much of anything on the field though during the 9 games Guion has played in. Of course the same could be said about Raji as far as stats go.

Raji has been a way better player than Guion this season though who seemingly has fallen behind Pennel on the depth chart by now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As unrealistic as it sounds, I bet that we see a little more out of Guion this week. He's got money to make it rain

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wish they would have waited until the end of the season to return the money to him. Guion certainly hasn't been playing as well as he did last season. Maybe it was his time away from the team or maybe his quickness was more of an asset inside than at DE. As far as re-signing him, a jsonline story on him in October included something that would concern me if I were Thompson:
In the hours after Letroy Guion was taken to a Florida jail on Feb. 3 … Guion's father stood outside the Starke Police Department. Letroy Guion Sr. was greeted by two of the officers, who recognized him based on past dealings with the department. That included a string of seven cocaine convictions, most of them for dealing. He asked the officers about the charges being brought against his son, a defensive lineman for the Green Bay Packers. They explained that Guion, 28, was facing two felonies for marijuana possession and a gun charge. Guion Sr. laughed and, according to an arrest report, said: "Well, I'll be honest, every time he comes down he always brings the best weed you ever smoked in your life."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...c-violence-charges-b99595657z1-336695811.html

Aside that endorsement of the quality of Letroy's weed (nice that he has high standards :rolleyes:), the source of the comment is a problem. A player can change the "friends" his hangs around with, but not associating with his father could be another matter.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a jsonline story on him in October
Careful about quoting "garbage" TJV. MM doesn't like it. But without knowing a thing about Guion outside of that article, I'd say the subject of the article, not the article itself, is the garbage.

Members online

Latest posts