Guion Slapped With 3 Games

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Demovsky Letroy Guion will be on the pine the first 3 games of the upcoming season. I figured he would get one possibly two games but it appears I was wrong in that assumption. Tough break and we will need some of the youngsters to step up and bring their A game while he is away. For the life of me I will never understand how guys making the kind of money they do can still be involved in such off-field activities? I am sure the length will be appealed but at this point one would think the Pack is planning on being without his services for the first 3 games. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Rob Demovsky the NFL has suspended the Packers drfensive lineman for the first three games of the 2015. He will appeal it though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it were QB1 I'd be alot more concerned lol. No, look Guion is a fine player and I'm glad we ended up re-signing him but if missing him for 3 games is going to determine the outcome of our season we never had a chance to begin with. Absolutely I'd love to see it get reduced because the D-Line is relatively thin as it is but I think we'll be okay, and all the more better when he returns.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't saying the season is doomed in any way with this suspension. I am saying this will hurt the defense and I don't think that's arguable. LT was one of our more consistent players on the line last year and made his presence felt in many-a-game. More than anything this highlights the importance of BJ bringing his game back to a 2010 type level. Will this doom the season? NO. Could this have an impact on the outcome of one of these games in turn affecting possible seeding/HFA scenarios come playoff time? I say YES. I think we have the talent to overcome this but guys like LT don't exactly grow on trees. He isn't a pro bowl caliber guy by any means but he is a middle of the road guy with the ability to help in both run and pass situations. The sky isn't falling but the clouds did just turn a touch grey...

G P G!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't saying the season is doomed in any way with this suspension. I am saying this will hurt the defense and I don't think that's arguable. LT was one of our more consistent players on the line last year and made his presence felt in many-a-game. More than anything this highlights the importance of BJ bringing his game back to a 2010 type level. Will this doom the season? NO. Could this have an impact on the outcome of one of these games in turn affecting possible seeding/HFA scenarios come playoff time? I say YES. I think we have the talent to overcome this but guys like LT don't exactly grow on trees. He isn't a pro bowl caliber guy by any means but he is a middle of the road guy with the ability to help in both run and pass situations. The sky isn't falling but the clouds did just turn a touch grey...

G P G!

I know, and I wasn't implying you were so I apologize if that's how it came off. I agree with this entire post

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 games seems about right (by NFL standards). Maybe it'll get bumped down to 2 on appeal. Given that all these guys have friends, and most of their friends don't make $100k a week during the season, why not let their friends drive and/or hold the weed?

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 games seems about right (by NFL standards). Maybe it'll get bumped down to 2 on appeal. Given that all these guys have friends, and most of their friends don't make $100k a week during the season, why not let their friends drive and/or hold the weed?
Exactly. To have that much green on you plus the cash is flat out stupid.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn’t know if he’d get a 2- or 4-game suspension – it turns out they split the difference. They certainly should be OK at the Bears to start the season and at home vs. the Chiefs in game three, but it would obviously be nice to have all hands on deck vs. the Seahawks. But that wasn’t going to happen anyway. I hope they don’t appeal it. He did it and I’d rather get it out of the way at the beginning of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a hard time seeing a basis for appeal. It's just delaying the inevitable.

Clearly this is not a Pro Bowl-caliber player, but he is the second best player in a weak position group. Guion's loss to the Packers is at least as detrimental as a more accomplished player's loss in a strong position group, e.g., if the Bills were to lose Dareus or Kyle Williams. Dareus is in fact suspended for one game; I doubt the absence will be especially noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, hes just an average to good DL for us is all. When he comes back, he just helps us with depth even more. He better hope that someone doesn't step up and outshines him and takes his playing time all away......which could happen.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, hes just an average to good DL for us is all. When he comes back, he just helps us with depth even more. He better hope that someone doesn't step up and outshines him and takes his playing time all away......which could happen.
Many, many things could happen. What's likely to happen is something else.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all knew they'd likely suspend him for some length of time. Now we know. Taking all of his time away probably won't happen, but hopefully one of the young guys gets some valuable experience in his absence.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is that I REALLY hope some are right in their belief that Raji is a changed man because the Packers will be playing the Bears, Seahawks and Chiefs in weeks 1-3 and if the Packer's NT is as terrible against the run as Raji was in 2011, 2012 and 2103 (slight exaggeration there, he was just average against the run in 2012) then Lynch and Charles will be in for HUGE days running the ball and Forte might allow the Bears to keep Cutler from throwing the ball more than zero times which would actually give the Bears a chance. Pairing a bad NT with a rookie ILB isn't what anyone might consider ideal against Forte, Lynch and Charles...but if Raji can play well then it would make a huge difference because the passing games in Chicago and KC aren't exactly scary.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as he keeps his conditioning up while suspended, im not that concerned

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's just hope BJ is ready and if nothing else, look for Guion to come back VERY HUNGRY and fresh, to prove himself for game 4 (at San Fran) and beyond.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t think Guion´s suspension will doom the season either but there´s reason for concern entering the first three games. It´s probable that Daniels, Raji and Boyd will play in the base defense during that period with Mike Pennel being the only other guy who has played in an NFL game available for the Bears game. Datone Jones will return for the Seahawks and Chiefs game but as long as he hasn´t improved considerably against the run he won´t be a huge asset in stopping Lynch and Charles.

In addition I still have a hard time trusting Raji as long as I don´t see him play at a level close to the 2010 season during the regular season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Losing Guion or anyone to a suspension really is no different (and maybe better) then loosing them to an injury, next man up better be ready. IMO Packers have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL and barring an injury to AR or several key starters, they are in pretty good shape to not skip a beat from game to game as players go down for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Losing Guion or anyone to a suspension really is no different (and maybe better) then loosing them to an injury, next man up better be ready. IMO Packers have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL and barring an injury to AR or several key starters, they are in pretty good shape to not skip a beat from game to game as players go down for whatever reason.

While you´re right that the Packers have one of the deepest rosters in the entire league that´s unfortunately not true for the defensive line, where Datone Jones is already suspended for the opener as well.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While you´re right that the Packers have one of the deepest rosters in the entire league that´s unfortunately not true for the defensive line, where Datone Jones is already suspended for the opener as well.

That's a good point that I didn't think about... Good thing it's the Bears :tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree Captain, the Jones suspension definitely doesn't help but that was a given, as was some sort of suspension for Guion. While our D line isn't loaded with high level talent, there are enough guys that can play at a level adequate enough to cover the losses. The other "bright side" , if my memory is correct, neither Jones or Guion count against the 53 man roster during their suspensions, so at least we can carry a few extra players into the start of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

While our D line isn't loaded with high level talent, there are enough guys that can play at a level adequate enough to cover the losses. The other "bright side" , if my memory is correct, neither Jones or Guion count against the 53 man roster during their suspensions, so at least we can carry a few extra players into the start of the season.

Daniels, Raji and Boyd (a line I don't feel comfortable with) will most likely play a ton of snaps in the base defense during the first three games. Aside of them Pennel is the only other guy who has ever taken an NFL snap. Everyone else is a big question mark.

You're right that neither Guion nor Jones will count against the 53 during their suspensions.

Staff online

Latest posts