Guion Slapped With 3 Games

Sky King

Reaction score
Michael Cohen article about Guion having faced drug, gun and domestic violence charges in the past:

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packer...c-violence-charges-b99595657z1-336695811.html
McCarthy called Cohen's article "garbage" in his news conference this morning. As of the moment that I type this the replay has not yet been posted on the packers.com website. Cohen may not have done himself any favors with the team as a whole through that curious attempt at an expose. It is old news. Maybe not to Cohen but to the team it is an unnecessary rehash of things they have known about and evaluated themselves. McCarthy certainly was not caught off-guard by Cohen's question about Guion's past troubles while he stood at the podium. Along with the comment from McCarthy Cohen got a look that would burn a hole in stainless steel.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy called Cohen's article "garbage" in his news conference this morning. As of the moment that I type this the replay has not yet been posted on the packers.com website. Cohen may not have done himself any favors with the team as a whole through that curious attempt at an expose. It is old news. Maybe not to Cohen but to the team it is an unnecessary rehash of things they have known about and evaluated themselves. McCarthy certainly was not caught off-guard by Cohen's question about Guion's past troubles while he stood at the podium. Along with the comment from McCarthy Cohen got a look that would burn a hole in stainless steel.

I was surprised that Cohen brought up that topic now. IMO there wasn't any reason doing it nearly nine months after Guion being arrested.

Sky King

Reaction score
I was surprised that Cohen brought up that topic now. IMO there wasn't any reason doing it nearly nine months after Guion being arrested.
A rookie mistake by Cohen. Personally, I found his article to be more like gossip than news. There did not seem to be a point to the article. Maybe if these mistakes had happened on the bye week it would have made sense. As it was, it did not.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, is MM saying the information in the article is all BS? Or is he upset with the timing of the article? I hadn't been aware of any of Guyon's other "brushes" with the law (has anyone?), and I think the information in this article-if true-sheds a lot of light on Guyon's character, which I think you could accurately file as "garbage". If true, I'm more disappointed with MM and TT signing the guy, regardless of his football abilities. I thought they had higher standards. That's the point of the article, I would think.

Sky King

Reaction score
So, is MM saying the information in the article is all BS? Or is he upset with the timing of the article? I hadn't been aware of any of Guyon's other "brushes" with the law (has anyone?), and I think the information in this article-if true-sheds a lot of light on Guyon's character, which I think you could accurately file as "garbage". If true, I'm more disappointed with MM and TT signing the guy, regardless of his football abilities. I thought they had higher standards. That's the point of the article, I would think.
Here's the article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...c-violence-charges-b99595657z1-336695811.html

And here's the press conference: http://www.packers.com/media-center...amentals/cce5d402-4a28-4d2d-851b-70b245977409

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well his response was pretty much to the point :) I don't think MM left much too for interpretation as to what he thought of the article.

And I'm not going to bother reading the article. No need to give the "author" more clicks

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did read the article and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it all turned out to be true. On the other hand we don't know and as far as I know the matter is closed. I'm not going to come down on a man just because I think he could be guilty of certain wrongdoings. I'll reserve any further judgement for such a time if further charges are brought and proven.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd already read the article. Thanks for the link to the presser. So, MM dismissed it as "garbage". I'd like to know if the article is factual. If it is, it would appear Guyon has been given much more than the "second chance" that MM says is part of the program, and I think it was a valid question posed to a coach who is proud of his team. Ignoring repeated transgressions on the basis of a Lincoln Lawyer's ability to keep his client out of jail doesn't help the individual who sees the lack of punishment as reason to continue his behavior. Just my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd already read the article. Thanks for the link to the presser. So, MM dismissed it as "garbage". I'd like to know if the article is factual. If it is, it would appear Guyon has been given much more than the "second chance" that MM says is part of the program, and I think it was a valid question posed to a coach who is proud of his team. Ignoring repeated transgressions on the basis of a Lincoln Lawyer's ability to keep his client out of jail doesn't help the individual who sees the lack of punishment as reason to continue his behavior. Just my opinion.
I don't think this was a case of a lincoln lawyer getting his client off. Maybe, I don't know, but I think MM's comments are more reflective that people do make mistakes, they do their job as a staff to find people they think are willing to invest time and money in. I'm absolutely confident that this staff did their homework concerning Guion before they ever offered him a contract 2 seasons ago. I don't think we have a cases of the Jones's running the show here by any means, where the talent on the field trumps all else.

I think MM is offended for one, because this guy writes an article that could have been written over 2 years ago if it was to be written when he was signed, as this stuff allegedly happened years ago and with a different team. I'd be surprised if he did the homework like this staff did, but for the sake of this post, I'll just assume the author did in fact do more homework.

If' that's so, write it when he's signed as a FA 2 years ago. Write it after his arrest almost a year ago. Maybe, if he's so confident in his piece of writing and the claims in it, at the beginning of training camp and raise the question of, "should he be back"?

But I don't think he did more homework. I think he's just trying to build a story to be more interesting than the story the Packers are building as the season goes on. Why this article about this player at this time? If nothing else, I find the timing to be very much garbage. I haven't read it to know if anything else is. I do know I trust MM and this staff to be good judges of character overall, and that's enough for me.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Curious to see why you are so fired up about this? Almost sounds like you would fire Guion right now if you had the chance.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM was pissed that this guy was digging through old trash to write this story. If this was breaking news it would be one thing but this seems to be from when he was a Viking or maybe even before that.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get both sides on this one. I get why MM would be mad about JSOnline bringing up Guion's dirty laundry, and I get why people would not even want someone with Guion's background associated with this team.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
urious to see why you are so fired up about this
I've thought McCarthy and Thompson have made good choices about troubled players, for the most part. But here's a guy well known to local police for multiple problems who gets pulled over with a "stolen" gun, bag of marijuana, and a hundred and some thousand dollars in an area known for drug deals at 2 in the morning. Why would anyone think he might be interested in buying drugs? He gets off, which is the most important thing he learns. It would appear he needs help, not an NFL contract. It's upsetting to me it involves the Packers, but even more upsetting that it's the reporting that is labelled garbage, not the activities.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't fire him now. I wouldn't have hired him this off season, assuming the reporting is accurate.

H

HardRightEdge

I get both sides on this one. I get why MM would be mad about JSOnline bringing up Guion's dirty laundry, and I get why people would not even want someone with Guion's background associated with this team.
There is a middle ground between those two positions.

It's not a little hypocritical to think everybody on the roster is going to be a choir boy. Whether all, some or none of the allegations of domestic abuse are true as opposed to certain parties trying to reach into a relatively deep pocket, or whether Guion's money and dope are evidence of dealing or are simply walking around money and an "off season stash", the Cohen piece does not state a conclusion.

Regardless, you're going to have guys on the roster at one time or another who are guilty as charged, pay their fines and do their suspensions, or end up in jail and then out of the league. Or maybe they're clever enough not to get caught.

It's rarely been the case that the Packers are entirely squeaky clean. The point is that the Packers are cleaner than most nearly all of the time. Certainly a roster loaded with thugs is problematic, from a PR standpoint, in the locker room, and on the field. The Packers work to not be that team.

I don't have any issues with Cohen's piece. He cites the 300 pages of court and police documents and quotes his sources by name. You have quotes from police and judges that are somewhat damning; you have his lawyer's statements in counterpoint. We've had bits and pieces of the story told here and there; this is the first attempt at a complete picture. The reader can judge for himself...or suspend judgment.

I don't see any basis in McCarthy's claim that the piece is "garbage" from a factual standpoint. That would appear to be a reaction to the timing of the piece and the desire to put the matter in the past as Guion pursues his "second chance" with the organization. That's understandable. Perhaps in due time he'll come to understand Cohen is doing his job just as McCarthy is doing his.

To think that this was a Cohen hit job timed for a point in the season to get the most attention is as questionable as assuming Guion is guilty on all counts. This looks to be a piece that took some considerable research with some of the material only released in the last few months. I'm sure he realized it would not be well received in the organization and that he might be compromising his "access" in the future. He gets credit for taking risks in presenting a relevant story.

The piece could have a positive affect in that it might go some little ways in holding Guion's feet to the fire; at the least we know him to be a drug suspension risk as he is surely in the NFL "program". He should thank his lucky stars that Starke County is more interested in civil forfeiture of $260,000 in cash and property on the "preponderance of the evidence" than pursuing a long and costly criminal prosecution.

My takeaway is simply that I hope Guion has learned something. And for gosh sakes, whether his side of the story is true or not, he needs to get a financial advisor and stop playing Santa Clause in February if that's what he was doing, so he doesn't end up broke on his a** 3 years after leaving the game like 2/3 of NFL players.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Highly paid, High profiled athletes that may be on a poster in some young kids bedroom who is dreaming of being just like that player someday. That is the part I am pretty well sick of. I get the whole evolution of certain athletes, growing up too fast, colleges using them for their athletic talents, having way to much money, wanting to live the high life, getting bad or no advice from agents, friends, family, etc. But I'm sorry, if these guys haven't figured it out by the age of 20 and drugs, domestic violence, guns, etc. is what they do to prove their manhood, get them the h*** out of the spotlight and away from the eyes of kids who think they are the person they want to be someday. Football is a violent game, but that doesn't mean the players can be thugs off the field.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It prob took him weeks to go thru the ton of paper work... Im not sure when he started to work on it.

It's the bye week and I'm positive they waited just for this week.

But I'm also pretty sure the team knew of those issue

H

HardRightEdge

Highly paid, High profiled athletes that may be on a poster in some young kids bedroom who is dreaming of being just like that player someday. That is the part I am pretty well sick of. I get the whole evolution of certain athletes, growing up too fast, colleges using them for their athletic talents, having way to much money, wanting to live the high life, getting bad or no advice from agents, friends, family, etc. But I'm sorry, if these guys haven't figured it out by the age of 20 and drugs, domestic violence, guns, etc. is what they do to prove their manhood, get them the h*** out of the spotlight and away from the eyes of kids who think they are the person they want to be someday. Football is a violent game, but that doesn't mean the players can be thugs off the field.
It's certainly difficult explaining adult matters to children.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's certainly difficult explaining adult matters to children.

I don't think the behaviors are difficult to explain to children, its the consequences, or lack there of, for such behaviors that is difficult to explain to children.

Paul Reubens AKA Pee Wee Herman gets caught in an adult **** theatre and his career is basically trashed. But an NFL player can play with guns, assault people, possess drugs,etc. and for some reason, a lot of people tolerate it or turn a blind eye AND they keep working in a high paying high profile job. I'm not wanting to watch choir boys play football every Sunday, but the NFL and Owners really need to get serious on what message they are sending kids about adults who can't behave themselves.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who are the children to whom you are referring? I'm a little confused here. Are we saying that young adult athletes are children?

Don't mean to speak for HRE, but it seems clear that the children he refers to are indeed children - those kids who look up to the athletes.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Don't mean to speak for HRE, but it seems clear that the children he refers to are indeed children - those kids who look up to the athletes.

Ah, I see. Having reared six children who are all upstanding citizens, though, I never had a hard time teaching them values and integrity, even regarding "adult issues". But my frame of reference isn't inner city U.S.A.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sadly, some kids don't have good parental role models and those kids view successful high profile athletes as "role models", someone they want to be just like. Their life guides are coaches, some who may only be focussed on winning at any cost. Few even make it to the college level, yet alone the pro level. Bottom line, for me, some of these clowns that have made it to the NFL and don't think that the rules of society apply to them, need a wake up call and a message to all "We don't care how talented you are, your act isn't acceptable in the NFL."

H

HardRightEdge

Ah, I see. Having reared six children who are all upstanding citizens, though, I never had a hard time teaching them values and integrity, even regarding "adult issues". But my frame of reference isn't inner city U.S.A.
Then you have no issue with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I don't think the behaviors are difficult to explain to children, its the consequences, or lack there of, for such behaviors that is difficult to explain to children.
But there were consequences. $250,000 in confiscated cash and property; millions of dollars foregone in a long term contract that never happened; 3 forfeited paychecks in sharply reduced deal.

He's lucky to have had the resources to hire a guy who appears to be a good attorney. A destitute individual relying on a public defender would likely have pleaded to some jail time. Explain that inequity to a child.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts