Guion Slapped With 3 Games

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers is for sure not the most athletic gifted tight end in the league but he has sure hands. He got enough separation on all the plays in the video above and was able to hold on to the ball, not sure why there´s a need to criticize him when making plays.
Neither was Chmura and a host of other very successful TE's. I thought R. Rodgers had a very successful rookie year and expect him to be even better this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe completely that Richard Rodgers can be, and is exactly they type of TE we need. The finer points of his game improved quite a bit in a rookie season, footwork, blocking, etc. But we don't need a TE that can run a 4.5 and move like a WR to stretch the field. We easily have 4 guys we can put on the field to "stretch the field". If we have a TE that can run to the chains, turn around and catch the ball for a 1st down consistently our offense will be unstoppable. No flash, no gimmick, no nothing. Just a good old fashioned turn around and catch it guy that can block in the run game, and that is everything we need from a TE. I'd say it's exactly what this offense needs.

He's not slow, he's fairly athletic and has good hands. His blocking has improved, and I expect that trend to continue. The only concern I have at TE is the depth, we have none.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji is pencilled in as the team´s nose tackle with Guion most likely the starter at defensive end in the base defense. With Letroy being suspended the Packers lack another DE best suited to defend the run.

I figure Mike Daniels will start next to Raji, and Datone Jones probably also once he completes his one-game suspension. In the meantime, someone else will be getting Guion's snaps (Pennel? Ringo? Boyd?), which means, of course, a chance to lay claim to more playing time should they rise to the occasion. Guion needs to have a good camp, because he won't impress anyone when he's sitting out his suspension.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Logic would dictate that both Raji and Guion (and any other player in their contract year) are going to put it all out there in hopes of a new bigger contract, so I am hoping for some outstanding effort from both.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Le'Veon Bell's suspension reduced from 3 to 2 games, this may bode well for Guion if he appeals his.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except we've seen Raji in a contract year, and it wasn't even adequate. I'm hoping for a complete surprise from him this year, but i'm not holding my breath. Past behavior is the best predictor for future performance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True and false for Raji (on behaviour in contract year), last year he came into camp ready to play and was having a great camp until he got hurt. It sounds like he is in the same frame of mind this year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True and false for Raji (on behaviour in contract year), last year he came into camp ready to play and was having a great camp until he got hurt. It sounds like he is in the same frame of mind this year.

He was having an ok, not great 2013 season too until Rodgers went down. I'll tend to put more weight into the body of an entire season than a couple fluff pieces on him last training camp and 1 tackle made in 3 preseason games last year.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I figure Mike Daniels will start next to Raji, and Datone Jones probably also once he completes his one-game suspension. In the meantime, someone else will be getting Guion's snaps (Pennel? Ringo? Boyd?), which means, of course, a chance to lay claim to more playing time should they rise to the occasion. Guion needs to have a good camp, because he won't impress anyone when he's sitting out his suspension.

Boyd is the only option for taking Guion's snaps at defensive end in the base. Jones and Ringo aren't stout enough to defend the run and Pennel is purely a nose tackle.

Another option that hasn't been discussed so far is playing Pennel at NT and moving Raji to DE in the base as long as Guion is suspended.

I'm sorry but Raji having a great camp doesn't cut it for me. I don't trust him until he shows a vastly improved performance during the regular season.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji was absolutely terrible in 2013 during a contract season.

Yes, I agree. My point was he was somewhat less terrible in the first half of the season while being mind-boggling atrocious in the 2nd half. Maybe an okay first half was too generous of a statement. I'll look it up later.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, I agree. My point was he was somewhat less terrible in the first half of the season while being mind-boggling atrocious in the 2nd half. Maybe an okay first half was too generous of a statement. I'll look it up later.

You´re right that Raji was even worse in the second half of 2013.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't understand the notion that Raji was having a 'dominant' training camp in 2014. Based on what? Was he dominating 1 on 1s? I don't really recall but I don't remember hearing that. His stat line? No, he was still doing nothing in preseason games. He had 1 assisted tackle in 3 games. So again, based on what? A couple fluff comments from coaches saying he's been spending more time in the weight room? That's our evidence to assume Raji was going to have a big comeback year in 2014 before he got hurt?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think everyone is getting "effort" confused with "results". All I said above was that Raji's efforts are there now as they were reported to be last year in training camp...... I never said anything about results. If he doesn't have the skill set and doesn't get the results, which most here seem to think is and will be the case, this will most likely be his final year in GB.

Missed the term "dominant" being used to describe Raji.....must have been another poster earlier on?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think everyone is getting "effort" confused with "results". All I said above was that Raji's efforts are there now as they were reported to be last year in training camp...... I never said anything about results. If he doesn't have the skill set and doesn't get the results, which most here seem to think is and will be the case, this will most likely be his final year in GB.

Missed the term "dominant" being used to describe Raji.....must have been another poster earlier on?

Raji has all the athletic tools necessary to be an impact defensive lineman. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to show the needed effort for quite some time. As long as he doesn't prove me wrong during the regular season I don't trust him to have changed in that regard.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McGinn gave Raji a C-minus and had this to say about him in his report card column after the 2013 season:
The extension averaging $8 million per year that was on the table for some time is off the table now. The Packers still want Raji back, but given his dreadful production it's possible now that he'll return at a much lower rate. What worries some scouts is they say Raji's motor ran so hot and cold even in a contract year. They wonder what will happen after he gets paid. Raji insists he was only following orders to two-gap and protect the ILBs. In 2013, he functioned almost like a sumo wrestler. Raji ranked last on the D-line in tackles per snap (one every 16.4) and was fourth in pressures per snap (one every 87.3). In 2010, his best year, he registered a pressure every 32.4 snaps. Still, at 27, some teams might be extremely interested in him on the unrestricted market because 338-pounders with his athleticism are few and far between.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/defense12-b99180643z1-239782291.html

McCarthy did talk up Raji’s effort and from what we’ve read Raji has taken this offseason more seriously than he has other offseasons. That’s good because the Packers are depending upon him – even more so with the Guion suspension. I sincerely hope Raji finally sees the light and plays the entire season like his career depends on it. But those who say we’ve seen Raji’s lack of motivation in a prove-it/contract year before are correct. So I’m hopeful but Raji has to prove it on the field IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ohh the "contract year" and the years that follow a juicy contract . How nice would it be to see players all receive a minimum base salary and everything beyond that is earned through performance incentives?

*steps back and waits for the bombs to fall*

D

Deleted member 6794

Ohh the "contract year" and the years that follow a juicy contract . How nice would it be to see players all receive a minimum base salary and everything beyond that is earned through performance incentives?

Well, Raji's contract for this season includes $1.75 million in incentives which he would earn by playing in all 16 games. Because he missed all of last season the league considers these incentives not likely to be earned, meaning it doesn't count against the cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't ever expect the NFL to ever fully switch to a system that has every player earning a "small" base salary and the rest on contract incentives, but it sure would provide for players really giving it their all and in my mind, earning what they should. I think one of the biggest hurdles to such a system would be the salary cap. Successful teams would end the year owing successful players a lot more money and in the process outspend the lower performing teams.

Edit: My definition of "contract incentives" in this case would be money earned based on games played, plays on the field, receptions, yards, completions, tackles, etc. Basically anything that statistically can be determined for each position. Yes complicated.....but earned IMO

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't ever expect the NFL to ever fully switch to a system that has every player earning a "small" base salary and the rest on contract incentives, but it sure would provide for players really giving it their all and in my mind, earning what they should. I think one of the biggest hurdles to such a system would be the salary cap. Successful teams would end the year owing successful players a lot more money and in the process outspend the lower performing teams.

First and foremost the Players Association would never allow that to happen. And as you already mentioned it wouldn't work with the cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First and foremost the Players Association would never allow that to happen. And as you already mentioned it wouldn't work with the cap.

Oh I totally agree with you Captain on both hurdles. As a fan of the game, its just a pipe dream on my part to think guys could actually be paid for what they actually earn/contribute. Have to wonder what Cutler would have made the past few years with such a system? :coffee:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I totally agree with you Captain on both hurdles. As a fan of the game, its just a pipe dream on my part to think guys could actually be paid for what they actually earn/contribute. Have to wonder what Cutler would have made the past few years with such a system? :coffee:

Most likely the Packers would owe him a ton of money. ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I certainly understand the desire and advantages of heavily incentive laden contracts, even though it won't happen because of the NFLPA. But because of the health hazards and relatively short careers - compared to "normal" careers - I don't have a problem with guarantees for NFL players. And I like that the last CBA reduced the amount going to the top draftees, leaving more for vets who earn a big raise on their second - and later - contracts. I would like to see that trend continue.

Also, the NFL does have a performance based pay program. Here's a link to how it increased Corey Linsley's compensation last season. He got an extra $339.5K which was about a 56% increase over his comp last season, including his signing bonus. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ice-bonus-from-nfl-b99461597z1-296294331.html

I'm not sure how they decide the bonuses, but I don't think it makes sense for Aaron Rodgers and Clay to get the (relatively paultry) amounts they received. Rodgers' $8K is almost a rounding error... And why did Sherrod get more than $12K? Anyway, I'd like to see them clean up those kinds of things and use that money to better benefit the deserving underpaid.

Members online

Latest posts