Greg Jennings released by Vikings

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
3 reasons Jennings will not be back in GB

1. We don't need him
  2. We don't want him
  3. We wouldn't pay him the $$ he wants if #1 and #2 weren't true.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take James Jones back as a 4th receiver every day of the week over Jennings. All discussion on bringing him back is ludacris.

Agreed. Ted let Greg go when his productivity started to decline.....Why bring in an older receiver who won't help you on special teams when you've got young guys on rookie contracts who will?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Ted let Greg go when his productivity started to decline.....Why bring in an older receiver who won't help you on special teams when you've got young guys on rookie contracts who will?

Jennings production declined after he signed with the Vikings because of Ponder, Cassel and Bridgewater throwing him the ball.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings production declined after he signed with the Vikings because of Ponder, Cassel and Bridgewater throwing him the ball.

No question, but he hasn't gotten younger in the interim.

The Packer receiving corps, on the other hand, has.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he burned his bridge for coming back to GB, but i'd have him back for dirt cheap. Think he could be pretty productive as a WR3 or 4.

We did land him that Old Spice deal after all, maybe he'd recognize he owes us one... :p

I've been to Minnesota several times since Jennings left and there are still several bridges standing. Besides, even if they were all burned he could always fly back to Green Bay.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds to me like Greg maybe putting feelers out there that he'd like to come back......

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol at this dude

This is why you don't burn bridges. Did he really think at 30 he was setting the world on fire going to the Vikings?

Is he really shocked by this?

Fade away Greg.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure he was a jerk when he left.....but i loved him when he was here. If it made sense roster-wise and cap-wise I would welcome him back. There are plenty of jerks around the league to hate.....why continue to hate a guy who we all cheered for for years.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings struggled with injuries during his last two seasons with the Packers. Those have hurt his production as well, especially in 2012. He has been healthy during his two years with the Vikings and he was actually quite productive considering the guys who were throwing balls to him.

I think he could still be quite productive in the Green Bay offense. He is still a good receiver, knows the offense and has chemistry with Rodgers. He could be an interesting addition for the right price (!). And keep in mind, Ted liked him, so I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happens (According to Rapoport the Packers are interested Wes Welker, so they might be looking at receivers).

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, we started using Cobb all over the field toward the end of last season. He lined up in the backfield a lot too. So toward the end, Cobb wasn't strictly just a slot WR. He was being used more as a Swiss army knife type of player.

So who knows? Maybe TT and McCarthy see something that we don't see and add another veteran WR to our roster and get even more creative using Cobb's overall utility.

But honestly, if we did sign a veteran WR, I'd rather go with Wes Welker than Jennings.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wes Welker needs to retire. I always liked him, but I don't think he needs to take any more hits

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of fans with jilted girlfriend syndrome. They same affliction Greg had when he left coincidently enough. Now he's a bit older, and yeah, he's probably looking to land with a good team, but I do think he's being genuine when he says he screwed up and handled it poorly.

I can accept that, in fact, guys like that usually want to prove something. I think a receiver of his skill set could benefit this team and I think he'd be making plays again and everything would be fine. I think he probably wants and will get more money than GB would give to him so it's pretty much a non-issue, but if the price was right, he could come back and play and cheer just like before.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

There are a lot of fans with jilted girlfriend syndrome. They same affliction Greg had when he left coincidently enough. Now he's a bit older, and yeah, he's probably looking to land with a good team, but I do think he's being genuine when he says he screwed up and handled it poorly.

I can accept that, in fact, guys like that usually want to prove something. I think a receiver of his skill set could benefit this team and I think he'd be making plays again and everything would be fine. I think he probably wants and will get more money than GB would give to him so it's pretty much a non-issue, but if the price was right, he could come back and play and cheer just like before.

The bottom line is that the Packers don´t need Jennings back. The team has to address the defense and not worry about bringing in a former player to be the #4 WR on the depth chart.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we have to address the defense, but of GJ was going to sign for a vet minimum contract, I think it's a no brainer. Sign him.

But yes, I would like to see a ILB and Big guy on the line signed before the draft and right now about the only guy I see is a run stopping ILB that's available. I think camp cuts and the draft are going to fill those spots.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't need a receiver! But an extra receiver would be a nice luxury toy for Rodgers. You can win more by scoring more or by conceding less.

I agree that defense is a much bigger need. However there aren't may decent defensive players still on the market and the guys that are left might be too expensive.

On the other hand, there are many solid free agent WR's on the market looking for a new team. There is also another strong receiver class coming up (which might also be an argument to not sign a receiver obviously). Their bargaining position is very weak and these guys might therefore be cheap. So I would sign a guy like Jennings only IF the price is right.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I know we have to address the defense, but of GJ was going to sign for a vet minimum contract, I think it's a no brainer. Sign him.

But yes, I would like to see a ILB and Big guy on the line signed before the draft and right now about the only guy I see is a run stopping ILB that's available. I think camp cuts and the draft are going to fill those spots.

Jennings said that he would like to play for a contender but that money is an important factor as well. He didn´t agree to restructure his contract with the Vikings so I don´t expect him to sign anywhere close to the veteran´s minimum.

Red Bryant would be a viable free agent option at NT still out there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which is why I said, GJ will want, and get more money from someone else, so it's really a non-issue. But skills wise and everything else? Just commenting on how so many act like jaded ex-lovers thinking he could never be a Packer because of what he said on the way out. Well, he could, i'm sure he'd be better than average. But he won't be, and not for any of the reasons the pissed off ex's think. It just comes down to money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts