Greg Jennings released by Vikings

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I'd take him back with open arms... If he's ready to take on a mentor type role for the young WR's and get paid like a 4th reveiver.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The heck are the Vikes doing anyways... smh. Trade for Mike Wallace and release Jennings? I guess it's something of an upgrade, but I don't exactly see the point.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether you think the bridges are burned or not, it doesn't change the fact that we have absolutely no need for a veteran WR.

I'd like to thank Greg Jennings for serving as a warning to Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb with the last 2 years of his career. We'll never know if that had anything to do with their decisions to take less to stay in town, but it couldn't have hurt.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'd take him back with open arms... If he's ready to take on a mentor type role for the young WR's and get paid like a 4th reveiver.

I don't think Aaron would be very supportive of bringing Jennings back.

And more importantly what would Valyncia think about such a move???

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!Got what he deserved. Good luck with the next bottom feeder you sign with for a dollar more.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Whether you think the bridges are burned or not, it doesn't change the fact that we have absolutely no need for a veteran WR.

I'd like to thank Greg Jennings for serving as a warning to Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb with the last 2 years of his career. We'll never know if that had anything to do with their decisions to take less to stay in town, but it couldn't have hurt.
I concur. Who would you get rid of? Janis? Abby?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have zero interest in bringing him back as it would hamper the development of the younger guys.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

According to a league source the Vikings asked Jennings to restructure his contract but he didn't agree to it.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to a league source the Vikings asked Jennings to restructure his contract but he didn't agree to it.

Ah, was thinking it must have been something like that. Watch the Seahawks pick him up :roflmao: Guess Raiders would make more sense though. JJ and Greg and CWood reliving their Packer glory days.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
From rotoworld:
Jennings was scheduled to count $11 million against the cap and became expendable when the Vikings traded for Mike Wallace. His release saves Minnesota $9 million in cap space as a post-June 1 cut, but leaves $2M in dead money. Coming off a 59/742/6 line, 31-year-old Jennings should draw interest as a veteran No. 3 receiver. Jennings joins Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, and Cecil Shorts as the top available free-agent wideouts. The Vikings will move forward with Charles Johnson and Wallace as their starters on the outside. Jarius Wright figures to man the slot.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3652/greg-jennings

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

From rotoworld:

His release saves Minnesota $9 million in cap space as a post-June 1 cut, but leaves $2M in dead money.

As far as I understand it his release results in $6 million dead money (prorated portion for the three years remaining of the $10 million signing bonus he received in 2013) this season, saving the Vikings $5 million in cap space for 2015.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing is I bet if he had taken our 8M a year offer he would still be catching 80 balls a year here and there would be no talk of cutting him, he'd probably serve out his whole contract. Instead he essentially took a 2 year, 17.8M contract from the Vikings and now he'll have to settle for whatever he can get to keep playing . Well played, Greg. This article is very prophetic.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...red-greg-jennings-8-million-a-season?v=1&vc=4

Apparently we even offered Jennings 11M a year at one point. Maybe our players are starting to notice. Guys who 'settle' for a very fair multi year offer from TT typically prosper for it. Guys who shun it (Raji, Jennings) hoping to eek out that extra million elsewhere typically end up paying for it many times over.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To his defense he couldn't have been in a worse situation this past year

3 qbs and essentially the #1 focal point of defensive coordinators as AP was gone and Patterson didn't feel like playing to his potential

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The *only* way I'd bring Jennings back, is if TT and McCarthy talk to Rodgers first and get the OKAY from Rodgers.

But in reality, signing Jennings would stunt the growth of Adams. Lets not kid ourselves. Jennings knows our offense. If we signed him, he'd be the day 1 starter opposite Jordy. Which means Adams goes to the bench. I am extremely excited about Adams too and his potential. He showed me a few things last season that leads me to believe that hes going to be special for us in our system.

So I am on the fence.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To his defense he couldn't have been in a worse situation this past year

3 qbs and essentially the #1 focal point of defensive coordinators as AP was gone and Patterson didn't feel like playing to his potential

Certainly true, but Jennings all along had the power to avoid that situation. We certainly did want to keep him, we made him multiple fair, competitive offers, and he told us to get bent.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly true, but Jennings all along had the power to avoid that situation. We certainly did want to keep him, we made him multiple fair, competitive offers, and he told us to get bent.
It's how these things work. It's more or less he burned a bridge on his way out hurting his chances of making money after he retires by being associated with the team.

I took favre personally but I felt Jennings just went with what paid the most at the time he signed. His sister on the other hand is a complete c u next Tuesday

Members online

Latest posts