Greg Jennings released by Vikings

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you have to forgive him because Ted Thompson and the Packers "brainwashed" him into thinking Green Bay was the best team in the NFC North.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...ota-vikings-was-brainwashed-green-bay-packers

To think that an NFL team would actually try to convince its own players that they are a cut above all the other teams in the division!

Minnesota was definitely the right place for Greg, as that's most likely not an attitude or mindset that he had to deal with as a Viking.

Reaction score
The *only* way I'd bring Jennings back, is if TT and McCarthy talk to Rodgers first and get the OKAY from Rodgers.

But in reality, signing Jennings would stunt the growth of Adams. Lets not kid ourselves. Jennings knows our offense. If we signed him, he'd be the day 1 starter opposite Jordy. Which means Adams goes to the bench. I am extremely excited about Adams too and his potential. He showed me a few things last season that leads me to believe that hes going to be special for us in our system.

So I am on the fence.

I'm not sure about this. Jennings fits better at slot receiver; he'd be competing more with Cobb.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To his defense he couldn't have been in a worse situation this past year

3 qbs and essentially the #1 focal point of defensive coordinators as AP was gone and Patterson didn't feel like playing to his potential

Yeah, pretty lousy situation. If Cobb had moved on, I'd say bring him back for a few years while some younger guy develops. Now, there's no real need and TT doesn't ditch young guys for old guys assuming that they're of comparable talent.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, the Packers don't need him anymore. Second, his arrogance upon leaving, including his dissing of ARod make him persona non grata in GB. He's in decline so a perfect fit for the Bears.

H

HardRightEdge

As far as I understand it his release results in $6 million dead money (prorated portion for the three years remaining of the $10 million signing bonus he received in 2013) this season, saving the Vikings $5 million in cap space for 2015.
If rotoworld is correct, MIN designated him as a post-Jun 1 cut. That means only the 2015 signing bonus proration ($2 mil) is dead cap in 2015. The remaining $4 mil will be dead cap in 2016.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks to bringing this clown back. Yeah he got $18 mil for 2 years of average production (and I'm being generous), but he dissed ARod while hiding behind the skirt of his sister. If he had done the smart thing he would have stayed at a hometown discount, ala Cobb, and continue to put up big numbers and earn all the money in the contract. What a tool. He's perfect for the Bears.

H

HardRightEdge

To his defense he couldn't have been in a worse situation this past year

3 qbs and essentially the #1 focal point of defensive coordinators as AP was gone and Patterson didn't feel like playing to his potential
Jennings strength was always his route running. He's bound to fare better with a QB with whom he can find some chemistry. He'll land somewhere as somebody's #2 or #3 as a polished possession receiver, but he certainly won't be coming back to Green Bay. I don't know how anyone could even entertain the idea after he dissed the QB and the organization as a whole on the way out the door.

Since he preferred to be released rather than take a pay cut, he's probably looking for a decent payday. It could take a little while, he might have to give in on his demands, but he'll be getting something like 70 - 100 targets with somebody in 2015. Miami perhaps? I can't believe their entirely satisfied having Rashard Matthews as their #2 wideout.

Minnesota's starting WRs now look to be Wallace and Johnson, two vertical receivers. Wallace never learned much in the way of route running and Johnson is a raw speedster. Ironically, Jennings would have been a good complement to those guys.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get as worked up as others about players "disrespecting" the Packers. That's drama and football is a business. I'd be fine with TT signing Jennings for a 1-year minimum. It's not likely that all of our young receivers will pan out and that Adams will avoid a sophomore slump. There could be a spot on the roster. Jennings could serve a valuable role and help us to another SB. If people really hate him and so do the Packers, they could hope that he gets let go during the final roster cuts.

All of that said, I think that we are fine at WR. He could possibly make it better but I'd rather see us focus our attention on re-signing Williams or another free agent CB.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur. Who would you get rid of? Janis? Abby?
Boykin. He looked lost the 2-3 times he was on the field last season. GJ is at best a #4 WR with Green Bay. He'd have to take a big paycut. Not sure he can eat that much crow. Not saying he's needed either, but I don't think Boykin will stick this year so someone will have to take his place.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone could even entertain the idea after he dissed the QB and the organization as a whole on the way out the door.

I think this franchise is spending the next year honoring a guy that did the same thing

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a good TE more than we need a veteran WR. Sign a guy like Rob Housler who has been underutilized at Arizona and forget about Jennings. Plus, Jennings didn't want to renegotiate his contract with Minn; you think the Packers will be willing to pay him $10 mill?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boykin. He looked lost the 2-3 times he was on the field last season. GJ is at best a #4 WR with Green Bay. He'd have to take a big paycut. Not sure he can eat that much crow. Not saying he's needed either, but I don't think Boykin will stick this year so someone will have to take his place.
You want to carry 6 or 7 WRs? Yikes

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You want to carry 6 or 7 WRs? Yikes
Don't read something into my statement that isn't there. I only replied I would replace Boykin with Jennings. And it was pretty clear from my statement I am less than enthusiastic about that scenario. Just answering poppa's question, who would you replace? Boykin clearly is the weakest link in the WR tree, and I predict he won't be a Packer in Sept.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a good TE more than we need a veteran WR. Sign a guy like Rob Housler who has been underutilized at Arizona and forget about Jennings. Plus, Jennings didn't want to renegotiate his contract with Minn; you think the Packers will be willing to pay him $10 mill?
If Jennings found TT's office door open he'd have to take $1-2 mil. I don't think it will happen. It's not Ted's MO. The one thing Ted has excelled at is finding WRs in the draft.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is what he is ..... a 31 year old man in a game often dominated, at least in some areas, like WR, for instance, by younger men. When Favre left, he dissed him. When he left he dissed AR. He's not a rocket scientist or a diplomat. He's not a Nobel Prize winner. He just plays football. Who cares what he "thinks?" At Minn, he just got unwanted. It's life. If he could help....why not? Never say never. But there are too many other options to explore that are fresh. ONLY IF ALL ELSE FAILS .... then, maybe ...."Hi Greg!"....lolol...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't read something into my statement that isn't there. I only replied I would replace Boykin with Jennings. And it was pretty clear from my statement I am less than enthusiastic about that scenario. Just answering poppa's question, who would you replace? Boykin clearly is the weakest link in the WR tree, and I predict he won't be a Packer in Sept.
He isn't a packer now, so that's not really much of a prediction.

I wasn't reading into it. White, Janis, Abby are the last 3 WRs. If you "replace" boykins with him it leaves you with 7 WRs.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure about this. Jennings fits better at slot receiver; he'd be competing more with Cobb.

Jennings mistly played outside during his tenure with the Packers. Still there's no reason to bring him back.

If rotoworld is correct, MIN designated him as a post-Jun 1 cut. That means only the 2015 signing bonus proration ($2 mil) is dead cap in 2015. The remaining $4 mil will be dead cap in 2016.

I didn't know that the league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. Well, while it makes a difference for this year's cap the move will still result in $6 million dead money counting against the Vikings cap in the long haul.

Boykin. He looked lost the 2-3 times he was on the field last season. But I don't think Boykin will stick this year so someone will have to take his place.

I only replied I would replace Boykin with Jennings. Boykin clearly is the weakest link in the WR tree, and I predict he won't be a Packer in Sept.

The Packers didn't tender Boykin, he's an unrestricted free agent as of now.

Clev44

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Really wanted Cameron, but now that he is gone I like that rob houser idea. Super athletic, stretch the field TE. He had one year in Arizona just before Arians got there where he was semi productive with terrible QB play. But then Arians came in and he doesn't utilize the TE much and housler kinda dissapeared. Not a bad flyer type prospect, deffinetly need a TE more then a WR at this point.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a receiver of GJs ability at the back end of his career as a #4 (actually I'd prefer one at the front of his career but that's a different story) El Guapo mentioned a sophomore slump for Adams and that is a possibility and like he said it no guarantee that all or any of the other three will pan out. I'm OK with our receivers as they are but a proven talent at #4 (or number 3 should Adams regress) or even a #2 if injuries occur would not be a bad thing. We are loaded at#1 and #2 but #3 is young and raw and the rest are nothing but potential at this point. I look for TT to draft another WR and bring in a couple of UDFA for camp battles. That doesn't change the makeup of our talent but it gives more stuff to throw at the wall if you will. I don't think GJ would come cheap enough for this to be an option but we are still not as stacked as we were a few years ago at the WR position.

The other thing to consider is that we don't really want to bring in anyone who takes time away from Adams if he is producing as a few have mentioned.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Jennings signing with a playoff team who needs him to be a solid #2 or #3 option. He'd probably fare really well in New England. Brady seems to thrive with route runners and the price might be right for New England to sign him.

My top landing destinations for him would be:
1) New England
2) Cincinnati
3) Pittsburgh
4) Seattle
5) Indianapolis

footballtalks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Norv Turner's offense will be interesting to watch. He's finally got a guy in there with good straight line speed and Bridgewater is no joke.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GJ came back to Green Bay he wouldn't be the 4th WR It would be more like 3 #1 WRs. I wont let the way GJ left blind me to how good he is. He never had a qb in Minny. With that said no way he comes back to Green Bay.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I don't get as worked up as others about players "disrespecting" the Packers. That's drama and football is a business. I'd be fine with TT signing Jennings for a 1-year minimum. It's not likely that all of our young receivers will pan out and that Adams will avoid a sophomore slump. There could be a spot on the roster. Jennings could serve a valuable role and help us to another SB. If people really hate him and so do the Packers, they could hope that he gets let go during the final roster cuts.

All of that said, I think that we are fine at WR. He could possibly make it better but I'd rather see us focus our attention on re-signing Williams or another free agent CB.

You said exactly what I meant to say on the first page. I get people don't like what he said about Rodgers and GB...he was one of my favorite players, and now I could care less about him really... but it's aggravating when fans think players are disloyal when they don't take a home-team discount.

I don't put huge value into a position like WR because lets face it you can win Super Bowls without all star receivers(look at the Patriots)..but I feel like I'm the only one still slightly concerned that our receivers simply can't get open sometimes, and seem to disappear against certain defenses. (I'm looking at you Jordy) I think Davante will be a stud but you never know when a player will regress.

Members online

Latest posts