Green Bay Packers and Defending the Read Option

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lattimore at least has 30 total tackles (17 solo) while Hayward only has 15 (10 solo). I don´t even want to talk about Jones who has only 6 tackles (3 solo).

Brad Jones at time looks like a child playing among men. I used to think people were too ******* him but that's not the case. He has the football instincts of a crippled toad.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article regarding CM3 not being able to rush with unbridled fury because of read-option responsibilities is interesting. If the read-option is meant to capitalize on UNdisciplined rushers who lose contain then why is CM3 being tasked with the responsibility of "contain or crash the rushing RB"?

Put Matthews at ILB opposite Hawk and give him the responsibility of crashing the RB in one of the interior gaps OR rushing the QB up the middle through one of the gaps. There would be numerous benefits: Neal or Perry in the OLB slot are tasked with keeping contain and forcing the QB to hand the ball off. CM3 gets to crash the RB and/or rush the QB from virtually anywhere between the tackles with Hawk responsible for his normal read/react tackles in the other gap(s). The only drawback is there might not be as much pocket-squeezing that CM3 normally does, but there will also be MORE pressure up the middle.

We would also lose some flat-coverage with Neal or Perry, but over the last few games that has fallen on the Safeties more, anyway. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

The article regarding CM3 not being able to rush with unbridled fury because of read-option responsibilities is interesting. If the read-option is meant to capitalize on UNdisciplined rushers who lose contain then why is CM3 being tasked with the responsibility of "contain or crash the rushing RB"?

Put Matthews at ILB opposite Hawk and give him the responsibility of crashing the RB in one of the interior gaps OR rushing the QB up the middle through one of the gaps. There would be numerous benefits: Neal or Perry in the OLB slot are tasked with keeping contain and forcing the QB to hand the ball off. CM3 gets to crash the RB and/or rush the QB from virtually anywhere between the tackles with Hawk responsible for his normal read/react tackles in the other gap(s). The only drawback is there might not be as much pocket-squeezing that CM3 normally does, but there will also be MORE pressure up the middle.

We would also lose some flat-coverage with Neal or Perry, but over the last few games that has fallen on the Safeties more, anyway. Thoughts?

I don´t like the idea of playing Matthews inside as it takes away a lot of his pass rush ability. He just has to learn to stay more disciplined and needs all other defenders to contain their gap to help him out.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Miami only ran the read-option to the left, but once Capers swapped Matthews for Peppers on the right side of the defense it pretty much nullified the read-option. If Carolina runs it the same way to one side (unlikely) then hopefully just putting Peppers there will fix the problem.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaching strategies are great. And you all seem to know what you are talking about. But the other half is player execution. We have another very young team. Important players out like Jones and Boyd. Not to mention Raji.... Which brings me to Pennel. He seems to be doing great. Not that he's playing great now. But he is holding his own in the middle of the trenches, And even getting a little push.

Just as I suspected, he seems to have become a catalyst. Directly, I have seen Guion step it up. The two of them are really getting in the mix. Daniels is a stud, but not great yet. Solid contributor though. Now getting other contributors back soon, Boyd and Jones. I am optimistic our problems against the run are slowing becoming less...

At LB, I see Clay almost getting there alot of times. But he still gets more than his share of our pressure. Peppers is really starting to look comfortable out there. That wingspan of his... He has been reaping the rewards of having Clay roaming around. Hawk has been playing above his average I would say. Lattimore is another good contributor that we will be getting back soon. All in all, our LBs are on a up-trend.

The secondary is begining it trials. Losing Sheilds or Williams always hurts. But losing them both back to back? Ugh. Our young CBs will be tested. Cam can drop 400yds, and Brees can hit 500. We will have to play well on the front 7 to help them... I hope to see some 3 safety sets. Olsen and Franklin are monsters. We need the beef. And Clinton-Dix, Micah Hyde are both playing great. The best development out of anything listed above (other than Peppers coming into his own at OLB) Is that Burnett seems to be playing with a passion now........ Like Butler, Sharper, and Collins before him, it took half a decade to become the hall of fame calliber safetys they were. "Potential" I kept hearing (like with Bush) Potential didnt help when Collins was a rookie laying eggs all over the field... I admit I was wrong on the previous safetys. But with Burnett I have been optimistic the whole time. Wouldve loved to see him and Collins playing together right now,,, but still, I think Burnett, has lit the fire. And he will burn bright for us IMO.

All in all I think our front 7 WILL get better and better every week as they continue tocome together. Williams and Sheilds sitting a week would be a great test for our developing young secondary. And neither starters seem to be hurt long term.... We could be in position to really hit stride after the week 9 bye... Everyone healthy, and everyone playing at a high level. This will make our coaches look great:)

And I am looking forward to seeing how this up and coming defense handles a up and coming Newton.....Coming off an ankle injury. 17 rushes last week marks his full return as superman I assume? We will see:)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of things about Cam Newton that I've noticed the past few weeks. Against the Bears he had A LOT of balls tipped at the line ~ don't know if his delivery is low or he doesn't see "passing windows" too well.

Our DL's need to get their hands up if they're not planting their facemasks in his chest.

Also, it appears that Newton is equally comfortable running his read-option to the right or left side, and between the tackles or outside. Matthews AND Peppers need to stay disciplined and cut-off the outside run ~ there's more help inside than outside.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have Matthews overly aggressive than tentative. One of the reasons he's crashing to the middle is the absence of any linebackers making plays there. As it is, seems to me our safeties come up and are making the majority of our tackles, but if the play goes outside there's nobody there. Matthews should be disciplined enough to stay at home, but I can't blame him for wanting to make plays. There's a fine line between being disciplined and being tentative. Tentative players are best off in another line of work.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Another thing I don't understand is why none of our players hits the QB when he's acting as a runner although handing the ball off to the RB.

First off, I have learned a lot about the read-option from this thread. Thanks to all contributors.

The Captain's quote above is a question I would like to repeat. Why, as a coach teaching players, would one not instruct the unblocked player to hit the QB? It's a free unfettered hit on the opposing team's most important (usually) asset. If he looks like a runner, tackle him without hesitation.

Would likely remove the read-option fairly quickly from the play-call book, no? Or, at least reduce it's effectiveness while increasing the risk of a key injury.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers is really starting to look comfortable out there. That wingspan of his... He has been reaping the rewards of having Clay roaming around.
What's interesting about this statement is the unintended benefit of signing Peppers. For years we've been looking for a counterpart to Matthews that would allow Clay to really make plays. It might be just the opposite, that Matthews is drawing the attention that is allowing Peppers to really open it up. Either way it's a good thing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would likely remove the read-option fairly quickly from the play-call book, no? Or, at least reduce it's effectiveness while increasing the risk of a key injury.
That was the main way teams talked about combating the read-option after the 2012 season. The Ravens hit Kaepernick consistently to end that nonsense. We don't do that. Why is the big question.

Reaction score
There are most certainly better minds than mine to devise a strategy to fix our ineptness against the "read option" or Jet sweep" or any QB run option
results we are experiencing. Frankly, after that initially ground mauling a few years ago against Kaeparnucklehead for the Conference status.. I'm surprised that we still are having this conversation at all.
IMO this issue should have been resolved or at the very least the damages mitigated to where it became on a non concernable factor at most.
So, by fundamental deduction my Dear Watson, we are either ill equipped to handle this due to coaching, player personnel or our apathetic desire to
prioritize the matter. It is imperative to the cause to rectify this matter and do this in an expeditious manner.
Whew! I feel like Abe Lincoln dealing with his field General 'Little Mac' and his lack of desire and intestinal fortitude to finish off an opponent when confronted with less formidable resources.
That Civil war between the states should've been over in 2 years and instead went on to become a 4 year event costing the cause with non-enumerable losses. Not to mention the loss of a commander in Chief.
It is MM's responsibility as a whole to make sure it never gets to that... Even if he himself has to inappropriately terminate a dear friend on a plane back from a game.
We need to set the standard by which future dilemmas are processed and put to rest or this will turn into a decade long contest
General S. Jackson.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The original poster alluded to the "normal" 11D on 10O advantage that the read-option now turns into 11D on 11O advantage for the offense.

If the Packers dedicate Peppers or CM3 to Cam Newton then it's effectively Carolina's 10 vs. Green Bay's 10. THAT is why I suggested moving CM3 inside to ILB and putting Neal or Perry at OLB, dedicated to containing Newton and forcing the run inside. CM3 could unleash his fury on the RB or rush from the inside.

Letting Newton run wild is NOT an option, but choosing which of GB's player(s) will keep that from happening IS an option for Capers. I'd rather have CM3 at ILB being part of EVERY play than keeping him at OLB while Brad Jones wiffs on his responsibilities inside.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Miami only ran the read-option to the left, but once Capers swapped Matthews for Peppers on the right side of the defense it pretty much nullified the read-option. If Carolina runs it the same way to one side (unlikely) then hopefully just putting Peppers there will fix the problem.

I've been watching a bunch of NFL shows all week and I've heard a bunch of times guys mention how Newton is not very mobile right now. They said he's nicked up and clearly not the threat he was out of school. I have not watched them play so I have no idea. ...but it sounds like the prognosticators are not worried about him beating anyone with his legs. ...?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You disagree that I couldn't find a stat and then asked about the rest of the league? Okay man...

LOL .... it's now getting amusing. Like, really funny.

Hey, anyone know who has the cheapest gas in town?

oski: I disagree!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching a bunch of NFL shows all week and I've heard a bunch of times guys mention how Newton is not very mobile right now. They said he's nicked up and clearly not the threat he was out of school. I have not watched them play so I have no idea. ...but it sounds like the prognosticators are not worried about him beating anyone with his legs. ...?

He sure ran around fine last week.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sure ran around fine last week.

They said he got hurt and looked slow at the end of the game. ? Again... this is just what they were saying on sportscenter last night. I heard something similar on espn fantasy football report. I have no clue about that... like I said...I have not watched them play.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha. Oski finally found someone who agrees with him then! :) That's gotta be a first.

I disagree again!

Now if you come full circle with me and you dispute what I said, I will do the same and we'll actually agree. (I think I have oskitalk figured out. I should run for congress!)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree again!

Now if you come full circle with me and you dispute what I said, I will do the same and we'll actually agree. (I think I have oskitalk figured out. I should run for congress!)

Also, I will try to make a very specific point, but be completely wrong.

Then you have to call me out.

I will respond by changing my stance and claim you're taking me out of context. Attempts of quoting my exact words and explaining how there is no other possible context will be futile.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, I will try to make a very specific point, but be completely wrong.

Then you have to call me out.

I will respond by changing my stance and claim you're taking me out of context. Attempts of quoting my exact words and explaining how there is no other possible context will be futile.

OK. No you didn't. I agree! That's not what I said at all. Here is proof: "Apples are red". I disagree.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. No you didn't. I agree! That's not what I said at all. Here is proof: "Apples are red". I disagree.

-"I assure you all apples are red."

-"Actually, there are green and yellow apples. Not just red."

-"Who's saying that all apples are red??"

-"You. You said that exactly..."

-"I meant some are maybe not red sometimes. Taking me out of context."

-"O....I got it. So I should magically know the hiding meaning of your words."

-"Yup, basically. That will help."

"Gotcha. Thanks for making sense!"

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-"I assure you all apples are red."