Great post by Bruce..

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(on another forum...)

QUOTE(The GM @ Jan 27 2008, 09:37 PM)

Agree being a writer doesnt qualify him for anything, for that matter being a scout doesnt qualify you as being a good evaluator of talent either. Somebody thought Ahmad Carroll was worth a first rd pick. Do we automatically annoint that person as GOD because they are a scout, or GM? Scouts Coaches and GM's arent worth a dime if they cant evaluate talent regardless of their title. McGinn usually has a pretty good insight in the Packers and what they need to do.

Bruce's reply:

Who, when and where did I ever anoint any one with GOD like evaluation skill? I didn't because I know it is an inexact science. It was you who was anointing McGinn with such status and more evaluation skill than he probably deserves because he took a stand that you work tirelessly to promote.

As for Scouts, Coaches and GM's who can or can not evaluate, I think the Packers being the winningest franchise since 1992 and their 14-4 season ending with a close loss in the Championship game might qualify them at a little higher status than McGinn or you (who calls himself GM).

As for the ugly baby, the team has unpopular moves that probably need to be made. Overall the season was pretty good. You have to be happy with it, but you have to look at ways to improve.

I always think teams need to be looking to improve - even if they win the Super Bowl. "You grow until you die is one of my favorite quotes, and it certainly applies to the development of a team of any kind.

Now what that has to do with you calling the "baby ugly" remains unclear. Teams always have difficult decisions to make, and TT has never seemed concerned with popularity contests.

You are pushing an agenda that you have been pushing for a long time. It is OK to have an agenda, I just think it has more integrity to own it when one does.

The GM said:

Agree with McGinns analysis, Favre had a good year and Ive stated so. I just wouldnt bet a dime on him performing well in 3 post season games in a row. Great season, post season choker, time and time and time again, and if the Packers make the playoffs next year you too can set your watch by it.

and Bruce said...

What a bunch of crap.

I am not a Favre apologist. I do not hesitate to call him out on bad play or bad decisions. He made a bad throw in overtime, but the revisionist bend on the read on this play and his whole game performance is laughable.

The facts remain:

~~ Brett Favre was not responsible for the team not being able to run the ball. 28 yards rushing will NOT get the job done in the weather this championship game was played in;
~~ had Spitz thrown a decent block Jackson walks into the endzone with Brett's third TD pass of the game;
~~ on the same play, if Brandon Jackson makes an inside cut or a spin move he likely scores with Favre's third TD of the game, and at worst gets a first down inside the 5;
~~ if Ruvell Martin, who demonstrated good hands all season, catches a perfect pass right in both of his hands, Favre adds another TD or first down on the goal line at worst;
~~ nor was Brett responsible for two shaky interference calls (one wiping out an interception, and both converting HUGE third down failures into first downs) on the Giants 3rd quarter TD drive:
~~ just as Favre was not responsible for Kampman's failure to cover a fumble on the same drive or the Packers failure to secure any of the Giants 5 fumbles during this championship game;
~~ those are just a few examples of many that place this so called "choke" and your and some others attempted lynching in context...

BTW how many TD's did Manning throw??? Oh yeah, none.

Now I will be the first to give Eli props for a solid game. But he did have a running game supporting him, and a receiving corp who laid out for the ball and made some unbelievable catches all throughout the game.

Like I said, any one who would try to scape goat a single player, and Brett Favre inparticular for this 3 point overtime loss understands very little about this team sport called football.

Further, trying to put the "choker" label on Favre shows great ignorance and tunnel vision IMO

The title of this thread is "Should we really be optimistic for next year?"

My answer is similar to Vinnie's below. Why the Hell would one not be optimistic?

Feel free to assume a Chicken Little stance if you must. Run around clucking "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" if you so desire.

But your endless campaign to denigrate Brett Favre gets very old and tiresome IMO.

Reaction score
Nicely said by Bruce, I agree.

But trom's words are true still IMO: the team has to play better to overcome the mistakes that Brett will make (nothing wrong with that).

The Pats as a team played good enough to overcome the 3 INTs Brady made, the Packers AS A TEAM couldn't play good enough to overcome the 2 INTs Brett made (that is NOT to say Brett's INTs were a mistake).

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce has always been one of my favorite posters. He seems to know more about the game than a lot of these so-called "experts."

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is Bruce? I do agree with what he said, made perfect sense!

He's a hard-core Packer fan who doesn't post very often, but when he does, everyone reads it. He writes up reviews and knows the Packers pretty much as well as professional scouts.

His position reviews, everyone reads.

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post, as usual. Bruce always presents a fair and balanced view, informed by his tremendous understanding of what it takes to play, and win football games.

Latest posts