1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Grant might be cut and took a pay cut

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,920
    Packers face tough choice at halfback - JSOnline

2. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    If Grant had a good chance of getting cut then why is he even on the first string offense. No offense, but I think Dimitri Nance is the odd man out.

Would the Packers really cut Ryan Grant? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Kevin seems to agree.. No matter how good Nance has looked in the offseason, sometimes you go by what you have and not what you hope to have.

3. TCHickman24

TCHickman24 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    Are the writers bored these days?? Grant is a no brainer.. I hate when I see junk like this

• Like Like x 3
  4. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,920
    Someone here a few weeks back said that Grant would be cap casualty...I said no because he wasnt cut yet and probably wouldnt be cut..

Maybe he knew something we didnt?

Anyways, I think it would depend on how those other backs pass block...I think I read that holding onto the ball is #1 priority, and #2 is pass blocking

5. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    I'm confused...
    There are 3 names as certainties, two possibles and Ted keeps three?
    Was that a misprint?
    Do they mean that Ted keeps four halfbacks?
    Because it looks like that would be the total number.

6. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,920
    Kuhn is considered a full back

I think it was an error on his part...Maybe shouldnt have listed Kuhn

7. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,703
    I heard on the radio this morning that there is a rumor of a surprise cut. Grant would qualify as a surprise but would it make any sense to waive Grant after paying him a bonus of $1.75M about a month ago? Not to me, and particularly not in order to play Nance, who showed little to nothing IMO last season.

8. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    It would be stupid to cut grant this year. He ran for a 1200 yards back to back while not fumbling the ball a lot. As soon as he misses a year because of injury he would be cut. If the packers did this it would hurt the team. I love James Starks but we wouldn't know how he would take the full load considering he is not that big of a running back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +484
    If it is about pass blocking we should have gotten rid of B Jack... If they cut Grant that would really disappoint me.

10. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Silverstein should be writing for The Onion. He also doesn't have DD as a lock to make the team.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    I highly doubt the Packers would cut Grant. Sure he may of gotten injured but as someone mentioned he doesn't drop the ball. Though I don't think our RB's had more than 3 fumbles last year, and that is an impressive stat. Let Nance and Starks develop another year before cutting Grant.

12. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    I wouldn't take anything this writer says as serious. Grant getting the ax? Is he mad?

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,966
    The logic is valid. Would it surprise if TT cut or traded Grant? No. They could do several things with that kind of added cap room. I think unless nance shows something above and beyond what he showed last year, reguardless of how close it is, you go with grant.

14. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    I heard since the Packers were deep at quarterback, instead of cutting a future hall of gamer in Graham Harrell, they will cut Rodgers. It makes sense since he costs more money per year and Matt Flynn looked good in camp and the preseason.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Bloody freakin hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :box:

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,966
    Silverstein is one of the most respected beat writers in the country. Not really sure where all the hate is coming from. Do people read the article? because its well writen with a logic behind the statement. Just because he says something that doesnt flow with the common approach doesnt make it wrong. Its not "hey they might cut grant", its we only have room for so many RBs and the numbers dont add up, with one guy playing great in the preseason and several million cheaper than Grant who has been average in the preseason.

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    DITTO !
    Thank goodness Grant is one of Teddy's "finds" so I would think & hope he's more inclined to keep him.

Grant is very underrated. He's perfect for our offense.

18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,920
    This is great...

Last year people demanded Ted to get a better running back now people dont want Grant cut..

Not saying people in this thread felt that way, but it an odd twist

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

I agree with you.

I think the idea is to utilize both Grant and Starks to make a double running threat. Once the pressure's off Rodgers with a running game for the season, things will be easier on our offense.

BTW I love your signature!

• Like Like x 1
  20. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +45
    Ryan Grant took $1 million pay cut earlier this month

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

21. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    Ya.. I can't speak for anybody else, but personally, I have always loved Grant ever since he took over as starter. I believe he still has a couple 1000 yard seasons left in him.

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,920
    So this doesnt get lost...

Think he got the not a lock from Silverstein

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

23. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +964
    Ted always has four or five backs on the roster. Unless they are seeing something in practice that makes them think he is not what he was before the injury why would you cut him. He is a proven 1200 yard a season back. Starks has shown alot of promise but I wouldn't bet the farm on him.

Last I heard the Pack didn't have an Salary cap issues.

24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,920
    So with taking a million $ pay cut, does that guarantee he isn't cut?

25. Jebsta16

Jebsta16 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

He has been my favorite Packer since he took over. This would be very disappointing to see. I think Starks is going to be a better back than Grant but he needs some more time to develop. I would give Grant the chance to prove himself this year and probably let him go next year. I think he is going to be 30 this year or 31?

I think what is going on here is we missed training camp and the other backs are getting more time to get work in. I don't think there is a chance Grant gets cut or is #2 on the depth chart but I think they want to see what they have in the other guys because one is the odd man out. They will not go in with 4 rb's. I like the direction our depth at running back is going though. Green looks like he lacks explosion after the hand off but he looked amazing on that screen pass. Starks is a beast and is going to be talked about amongst the best in the league when he finally takes over, make my words.

• Like Like x 1