Grade this draft

What grade do you give this draft?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

There are no dire needs on this team. We need depth and a starter or two, but nothing "dire"

Entering this year´s draft the defensive line and inside linebacker were in dire need of an upgrade. With Thompson passing on Myles Jack and Reggie Ragland I´m not convinced the position has been addressed adequately.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers was a pure example of picking BPA. Jason Spriggs was a pure example of moving up to grab a position of need with a player that TT felt was by far BPA at the time.
Exactly. Some think if the player is BPA and fills a need, he is suddenly isnt a BPA.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Entering this year´s draft the defensive line and inside linebacker were in dire need of an upgrade. With Thompson passing on Myles Jack and Reggie Ragland I´m not convinced the position has been addressed adequately.
So if TT drafts for need then why didnt he take either of those ILBs?

We had needs at NT, OL depth, speed at WR, ILB and OLB. This represents 75% of positions. When the Packers pick in the first there were probably 5 or 6 players that represented BPA. By the later rounds there are a few dozen. It would be very unlikely that there would NOT be a BPA at a position of need when the packers draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

We had needs at NT, OL, speed at WR, ILB and OLB. This represents 75% of positions. When the Packers pick in the first there were probably 5 or 6 players that represented BPA. By the later rounds there are a few dozen. It would be very unlikely that there would NOT be a BPA at a position of need when the packers draft.

There´s absolutely no doubt that Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith were by far the best player available at #27. Thompson didn´t pull the trigger on any of them because of concerns about their knee injuries. At least one beat writer thinks that was a mistake.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...kers-should-have-gambled-myles-jack/83968292/

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My take on BPA and Position of need........for the most part, we are all going to differ on how we rate each guy in both of those categories. So TT's BPA and PON may line up (for him) 9 times out of 10, but in our eyes, that particular player might not fill one or both of those categories.

For example, I am convinced ILB was a high PON, I'm not so convinced TT thought that.

In the example of ILB, on a scale of 1-10, this scores a 9-10 as a PON for me. TT's actions in the FA market and in the draft makes me believe its a 5 for him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

In the example of ILB, on a scale of 1-10, this scores a 9-10 as a PON for me. TT's actions in the FA market and in the draft makes me believe its a 5 for him.

I agree that Thompson's actions suggest he doesn't value the inside linebacker position as much as a lot of fans. That's kind of mind-boggling though considering two players at that position are on the field for nearly every single defensive snap.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s absolutely no doubt that Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith were by far the best player available at #27. Thompson didn´t pull the trigger on any of them because of concerns about their knee injuries. At least one beat writer thinks that was a mistake.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...kers-should-have-gambled-myles-jack/83968292/
Lol! How do you define BPA? Ability to play due to health is a big part of evaluating a player.

And I thought you didnt care what experts think?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take on BPA and Position of need........for the most part, we are all going to differ on how we rate each guy in both of those categories. So TT's BPA and PON may line up (for him) 9 times out of 10, but in our eyes, that particular player might not fill one or both of those categories.

For example, I am convinced ILB was a high PON, I'm not so convinced TT thought that.
We are returning two starters still on the upswing of their careers. Both I would tern as at least adequate. No need to for TT to panic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We are returning two starters still on the upswing of their careers. Both I would tern as at least adequate. No need to for TT to panic.
While I agree with your statement, my issue is "adequate" hasn't been good enough, at least for me. I would prefer above average to great ILB's. Not to even mention how thin we have been in adequate talent at ILB over the last 2 years, that we took our best OLB and moved him inside where he also played just adequate.

I'm fine with trying to develop guys, but trying to develop two starting ILB's has gotten painfully exhausting and negating the effectiveness of one of the games best OLB in the process takes it beyond too long.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers was a pure example of picking BPA. Jason Spriggs was a pure example of moving up to grab a position of need with a player that TT felt was by far BPA at the time.

Not really on Rodgers. They knew they would need to replace Favre soon. If they would have drafted Rodgers 5 years earlier than it would have been pure BPA regardless of need.

Actually I think I agree with you. Both were likely BPA available but they also filled a need. Does TT make those moves if Favre is younger or our tackles are more long-term solutions?

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol! How do you define BPA? Ability to play due to health is a big part of evaluating a player.

And I thought you didnt care what experts think?

Take a look at the tape of either Jack or Smith. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that both of them would have been long gone at #27 if they had stayed healthy and no other player still on the board was even close to them talent wise.

I agree that a player's durability is an important factor but sometimes Thompson should take a risk, especially with Jack who's most likely healthy to play in 2016.

Have you ever taken a look at the depth chart at the position??? Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford were the only backuos at the position before the draft. None of them should be one injury away from playing every single snap.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think once Raji retired (and then Pennel got suspended) NT/DE became the greatest position of need. I think a coverage ILB was second. I also think the staff is a lot higher on Barrington and Ryan than most on this board, especially Ryan. Now I am not sure I agree with them but it seems apparent they (TT, Wolf, Capers, etc) are ok with the ILB position

D

Deleted member 6794

I think a coverage ILB was second. I also think the staff is a lot higher on Barrington and Ryan than most on this board, especially Ryan. Now I am not sure I agree with them but it seems apparent they (TT, Wolf, Capers, etc) are ok with the ILB position

Once again, I can understand although I don't agree with being confident about Barrington and Ryan being the starters but there's no way Thomas and Bradford should even make the team.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="captainWIMM, post: 664555, member: 6794"
I agree that a player's durability is an important factor but sometimes Thompson should take a risk, especially with Jack who's most likely healthy to play in 2016.
[/QUOTE]

You keep acting like this was TT alone. What if the Packer's medical staff didnt feel comfortable with Jack? You can take a risk but if there are people in that room who know a lot more about medical stuff than you arent you obligated to listen to them?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I can understand although I don't agree with being confident about Barrington and Ryan being the starters but there's no way Thomas and Bradford should even make the team.

And on that I definitely agree. After the draft they need one more ILB for sure. Maybe one of the UDFA can flash

D

Deleted member 6794

You keep acting like this was TT alone. What if the Packer's medical staff didnt feel comfortable with Jack? You can take a risk but if there are people in that room who know a lot more about medical stuff than you arent you obligated to listen to them?

At the end of the day Thompson is the one making the final decision. With Jack currently being healthy I would have liked him to take the risk.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I brought this up a week before the draft and Captain mentioned it again right after the draft, I still think the whole Myles Jack injury was probably a little over blown and over hyped to scare enough teams away. However, I don't really blame TT and the other 30 teams who passed on him based on the info, or lack of, that they all had through the first round. But..... oh look, the team that steals him in the draft are the Cowboys and their team doctor just happens to be the one who performed the surgery on Jack, coincidence? Makes you wonder who had the best and most accurate medical information?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of the day Thompson is the one making the final decision. With Jack currently being healthy I would have liked him to take the risk.

Yeah it will be interesting to watch. I wanted Jack or a DT. The more I read about Clark the more I like him and I think he has good upside as well. Jack has such a high upside and such a low floor. It will be interesting to see how their careers progress. I agree with you about ILB to a large extent. It is why I have said Martinez could make this draft. He really can cover and push Barrington this draft could be a home run. I really like the long term potential of this draft. Murphy and Spriggs look like guys who could play on the O-line for a while. I am still not sure about Fackrell or Lowry

D

Deleted member 6794

I brought this up a week before the draft and Captain mentioned it again right after the draft, I still think the whole Myles Jack injury was probably a little over blown and over hyped to scare enough teams away. However, I don't really blame TT and the other 30 teams who passed on him based on the info, or lack of, that they all had through the first round. But..... oh look, the team that steals him in the draft are the Cowboys and their team doctor just happens to be the one who performed the surgery on Jack, coincidence? Makes you wonder who had the best and most accurate medical information?

You're confusing Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith.

Yeah it will be interesting to watch. I wanted Jack or a DT. The more I read about Clark the more I like him and I think he has good upside as well. Jack has such a high upside and such a low floor. It will be interesting to see how their careers progress. I agree with you about ILB to a large extent. It is why I have said Martinez could make this draft. He really can cover and push Barrington this draft could be a home run. I really like the long term potential of this draft. Murphy and Spriggs look like guys who could play on the O-line for a while. I am still not sure about Fackrell or Lowry

Overall I like the Packers draft picks as well but regret passing on a special talent in Jack.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at the tape of either Jack or Smith. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that both of them would have been long gone at #27 if they had stayed healthy and no other player still on the board was even close to them talent wise.

Have you ever taken a look at the depth chart at the position??? Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford were the only backuos at the position before the draft. None of them should be one injury away from playing every single snap.
Of xourse Smith and jack were very good. But you cant say they were far and away BPA when you have zero information on their medical situation. Jack has a degenerative condition and will likely only play a few years. One small injury and he xould be done immediately. He may play 4 years and win an MVP or tweek his knee in preseason and never take a pro snap.

Smith is the opposite. He is counting on his nerve regenerating. If it doesnt, he will play at a fraction of the level of his former self. I know teams were concerned and its a bad sign that it hasnt already regenerated.

What the level of risk is for either of these guys is just wil speculation on the part of fans.

As far as depth chart, I have bigger concerns for our OL. We could lose 3 starters and a primary back up next season. We need depth at olb with peppers likely in his final year. We also need speed at WR. We have lots of needs. None of them are critical to our success this coming season.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as depth chart, I have bigger concerns for our OL. We could lose 3 starters and a primary back up next season. We need depth at olb with peppers likely in his final year. We also need speed at WR. We have lots of needs. None of them are critical to our success this coming season.

Well, if the Packers lose one inside linebacker to an injury this season it could become critical to the team's success this season in a heartbeat.