Grade this draft

What grade do you give this draft?

• Total voters
H

HardRightEdge

I did love the focus on D we saw this year, just surprised we didnt grab a flyer on a S....I fully expect at some point next year we grab on in the draft.
I misspoke earlier. The Packers signed 2 UDFA safeties, not 1:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=122171&draftyear=2016&genpos=SS

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113911&draftyear=2016&genpos=SS

4 UDFA CBs were signed:

• CB Makinton Dorleant, Northern Iowa
  • CB Josh Hawkins, East Carolina
  • CB Warren Gatewood, Alcorn State
  • CB Randall Jette, UMass

Maybe one of those guys will show something in the way of conversion. From a quick glance, they're either small and fast or a little bigger and slow.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand a concern about a repeat of having 2, 3, 4 guys at a position group being out with injuries or underperforming. But is it more likely this will be repeated in 2016 than having a similar issue at another position group? No.
I submit for consideration the following which should be of greater concern:

- Safety/Nickel: ... If 2 of those 4 went down, who graduates to safety/nickel starter? ...

- ILB: ... What if 2 of those guys go down? ...

So while your concerns are not entirely unjustified, there are more acute issues to worry about, if you're inclined to worry at all at this juncture, but in the end you cannot cover all possible unknown contingencies.

If one really needs to worry about something, then worry about the Vikings.
I fail to understand really what you are debating. The fact that we are not 6 starters deep at every defensive position? BTW you forgot having an experienced backup starting caliber QB or two.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fail to understand really what you are debating. The fact that we are not 6 starters deep at every defensive position? BTW you forgot having an experienced backup starting caliber QB or two.
I don't think he's arguing that, just pointing out that worrying so much about a position in which we do have depth and talent, when we have other just as important positions that are much thinner is misplaced. I don't think our WR's will perform like last year, no position can withstand all those injuries and I don't expect that same scenario to happen for a long time in this city. Not for the WR"s anyway.

H

HardRightEdge

Ask the guys who think we need Jones to be 6 deep at WR. That's what the debate was about.

Good point about the QB. It goes without saying that the vet backups in this league are not going to get it done, so why would I even mention it? We all know it's Rodgers or bust.

D

Deleted member 6794

But if it doesn't happen, or injuries take their toll, there are worse options out there then James Jones for your insurance policy.

I agree there are worse options than James Jones out there but as long as the Packers receiving corps stays healthy there's no need to sign him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree there are worse options than James Jones out there but as long as the Packers receiving corps stays healthy there's no need to sign him.

I admit, there is always that chance that there is a better FA WR out there if the need arises (injury/poor play) and always that chance that Jones is still available and becomes that guy. Let's just hope if we do have a major injury at WR again, it is not #87. I seriously would not be ready to go through a whole season, solely with the guys left after that. From the start of the FA signings until the draft ended, I half expected the Packers to address the poor wide WR play from last year. But they must have a lot more confidence then me, that Jordy was the missing link and that he will stay healthy, not to resign their leading receiver from last year at what most likely would have been a very low cost.

D

Deleted member 6794

I admit, there is always that chance that there is a better FA WR out there if the need arises (injury/poor play) and always that chance that Jones is still available and becomes that guy. Let's just hope if we do have a major injury at WR again, it is not #87. I seriously would not be ready to go through a whole season, solely with the guys left after that. From the start of the FA signings until the draft ended, I half expected the Packers to address the poor wide WR play from last year. But they must have a lot more confidence then me, that Jordy was the missing link and that he will stay healthy, not to resign their leading receiver from last year at what most likely would have been a very low cost.

One thing that has been mostly ignored in this discussion is that the unit hopefully benefits from having a designated position coach again this season. I still have a hard time understanding why McCarthy thought it was a good idea to have Van Pelt coach both QBs and receivers but it obviously didn´t work out as planned.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thing that has been mostly ignored in this discussion is that the unit hopefully benefits from having a designated position coach again this season. I still have a hard time understanding why McCarthy thought it was a good idea to have Van Pelt coach both QBs and receivers but it obviously didn´t work out as planned.

Thanks for reminding me of that piece. I know you and I discussed that issue during the season. Something else to hang our hats on for hopeful improved play at the position.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a reach in the bunch as far as I can tell. With no dire needs, the Packers were able to pick BPA with every selection. I think the common thread in all of these players is they all are very dedicated and love to play the game. They all have significant upsides yet to realize. We should see a few starters and a stud or two from this lot. Nice work TT and staff. B+

Clark – I would have gone with another run stuffer – Reed. TT will probably be correct here. I was surprised that some scouts actually think Clark is a better run stuffer. This was our biggest need in my eyes going into the draft. And to our luck, the deepest position available. The biggest note that makes me think Clark is a better pick than my guy, is Clark is only 20 and appears to be still on the upswing. He should be good from the get go, and could very well develop into something special.

Spriggs – I can’t figure out why he went as late as he did. He was very successful in college and tested extremely well. I had him in my contest in the 2nd, but wanted to delete him because I thought for sure he would be gone by our 1st round pick. Therefore, I am very pleased TT was able to get him. I had OL as our 2nd biggest need in the draft, so this worked out perfectly.

Fackrell – I’m not sure what to expect from him. I think he will be good, although has a ceiling south of pro bowl level. He has a year of spelling Peppers and then can be expected to compete for the starting spot. I do love that he is try hard guy with a non-stop motor.

Martinez – Cautious with this one. I don’t think he will be cracking the starting line up this season. Maybe if his superior coverage skills are as advertised, he can play in some of the passing situation formations. Was hoping we would go for more of the fast-angry-leader kind of ILB

Lowry – The one pick I am not excited about. Not sure why, just don’t know that he will be more than average at best. This probably means he will blossom into a perennial pro bowler.

Trevor – curious to see what he brings to the table. I read one review said he was extremely fast and quick, had some of the best hands in college football, and ran very good routes. Which leaves me scratching my head, why didn’t he have better stats? Can’t blame it on a bad QB, Goff went #1 overall. He was rated highly on some lists and not even listed in the top 50 on others. That makes him a good pick for late in the draft, gamble on greatness. A ‘safe’ pick at this point in the draft is probably a marginal NFL level player.

Murphy – Great pick for late in the draft. Most had him listed much higher than where we got him. The game isn’t too big for him and I think he will be great insurance next year and likely primary backup at multiple positions.

Noted UDFAs

Brown – I am thinking he has a better shot than most to stick around. Has a very wide range of reviews.

Some general observations:

German WR was a good move by Minny. Not that he is a good player, but the Vikings pick up a few million fans in Germany. Watching the clips of the Kraut was not impressive. The level of competition appeared to be Div 3 level. Janis was further along coming out and look how long it is taking him to get his feet under him despite amazing physical skills.

Jaylon Smith - Ordinarily if Jerry Jones does something I don't bat an eye thinking we should have done that. But in this case, the Cowboys surgeon is the one who performed the surgery. They should have the best information on him. However, Jerry was coveting QB Lynch so you know Smith is not a sure thing. Ordinarily I would root for Jaylon as a nice story, but now that he is a Cowboy, I won't be able to root for him.

Wentz will have a better pro career than Goff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

With no dire needs, the Packers were able to pick BPA with every selection.

It´s astounding to me that after Thompson spend five of seven draft picks on the three positions in most dire need of an upgrade that someone would claim position of need didn´t factor into the selections.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s astounding to me that after Thompson spend five of seven draft picks on the three positions in most dire need of an upgrade that someone would claim position of need didn´t factor into the selections.
As TT and others in the know have stated - they are adamant to adhere to BPA, never taking a lesser player just because of need.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing as you and Amish.....even up to the last pick of this years draft.....all I saw was picking for position of need. But also like you have said Captain, I think TT has levels of BPA and as long as a position of need is in that level at that pick, he opts for that guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
BPA.....have to think the Cowboys and Seahawks followed this rule a bit too closely with their selections of RB's?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've blistered Ted Thompson in the past largely for lack of free agency moves while sitting on cap space. But I have zero complaints about this draft. Here's the first thing to consider: no one knows how any of these picks will work out. Remember Ryan Leaf vs. Payton Manning? All the draft hypesters don't know anymore than you or I do.
Clark is the starter day one. Your first round pick should be that. Spriggs will eventually start and be a good backup this year. Thompson didn't go for the splashy names, but picked large, smart players. Stanford, Northwestern, guys that play for the love of the game. This was a restocking draft, and TT did that.
Martinez will be the gem of the draft. Won't cost big money but will be a starter by the end of the year.

D

Deleted member 6794

As TT and others in the know have stated - they are adamant to adhere to BPA, never taking a lesser player just because of need.

But just like in years past Thompson´s moves give a way different picture as those prospects mostly happen to play at obvious positions of need.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But just like in years past Thompson´s moves give a way different picture as those prospects mostly happen to play at obvious positions of need.
It is rare that there is only one BPA at the Packers pick. I never said that need didnt factor in, only that quality is not compromised.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is there really a team that does straight up BPA? Even if Paxton Lynch was the best player on the Packers board they were not drafting him in round 1 and they would have been foolish to do that. I do think the Packers go into the draft with numerous positions to address and they draft the BPA among these positions. I highly doubt if the Packers had a highly rated cb or s on the board in round that they would have made that selection either. Now the Packer's BPA is different than analysts and I think that throws fans for a loop. They see Clark rated in the 40s by some services and assume TT reach for a position of need when it was highly probably that they just liked Clark more than other dlineman, and ilbs that were on the board

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers was a pure example of picking BPA. Jason Spriggs was a pure example of moving up to grab a position of need with a player that TT felt was by far BPA at the time.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dl, ol, wr, LB comprises 14 of 22 starting positions. Odds are good there will be players available in the top rated tier at our pick. Simple math.

There are no dire needs on this team. We need depth and a starter or two, but nothing "dire"