Grade this draft

What grade do you give this draft?

• Total voters

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C/C-. Felt like we waited too long again to take an ILB, especially passing on Jack in the first, injury concerns aside. Clark's a good player and has pass rushing abilities, but I would have been okay waiting on DT and just getting one of those run stuff only guys that slipped. I kind of see Clark being better off at a DE spot in the 3-4 but we're going to have to force him into the nose. The O-line men are good depth and developmental. Murphy is probably my favorite selection of this draft from a value pov.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see how it pans out. I think we got good players and am generally happy, but I can't help but feel like we missed out on some unique opportunities to take special players. Oh right, grade... B-

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should be doing this thread a year from now, but if I had to pick, a C+

No glamorous picks, but we filled some holes. We'll see how these guys do.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical of a draft and build strategy. Nothing to get really excited about this year.

Voted C- as not sure we fixed the ILB problem.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B-; I feel like we missed a lot of talent on D-line. We addressed some needs but like what others said, it feels like we missed something...

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B-; I feel like we missed a lot of talent on D-line. We addressed some needs but like what others said, it feels like we missed something...
Typical TT. Guess he wanted the Indiana T. Draft and develop while Rodgers gets a year older. No playmakers.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a year of experience under his belt, pretty sure the Indiana tackle will be very important to us (and Rodgers) next year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have no idea who any of these guys are so I give it an A. The only two names I had heard before were Clark and Spriggs. Saw a couple of mocks that had us taking Clark so that's why I heard of him and I heard that Spriggs was projected as a high 2nd round talent.

I like it this way because I have no preconceived notions about any of them. When you know a lot about the guys its easy to get caught up in the "my guy was better" mentality and be disappointed about the picks. I honestly don't care where the experts and that includes all the ones on this board and others, had these guys rated. To me no one is a reach because the only opinion that matters is Ted's.

This draft, more than any other I can recall, has made it clear that no one, and that includes the GMs, really knows anything. They make their best guess and take the guys they think are the right choices and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have this feeling that even had the Packers not taken him Clark would have gone before Billings and that makes me very happy the Packers didn't take him (Billings) at #1. At the time I would have been very happy with that pick based on what so many of those experts were saying. Apparently 32 GMs knew something a lot of fans and experts didn't know.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have only looked at a couple sites but they seem to giving the Packers B's. It continues an interesting trend where analysts like draft more than Packer fans. No green and gold glasses here

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This will be a biased poll...

Those that hate Ted can not take off the blinders to give a true assessment

Those that love Ted cant not take off the blinders to give a true assessment

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be a biased poll...

Those that hate Ted can not take off the blinders to give a true assessment

Those that love Ted cant not take off the blinders to give a true assessment

Until they've played you can't give a true assessment. Better to grade the 2014 and '15 drafts at this point.

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-Grading-The-2014-Draft-Class-34600635
http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap3000000490713/2015-Draft-Grade-Packers

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to evaluate this early, but I'd give it a C.

I'm extremely disappointed that we passed on Jack. He was the only guy available at that position that has a chance to be an impact defensive player, something sorely lacking on our D. Jack has the chance to be one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Clark, if we're fortunate, will be another Raji. This draft was loaded with quality DT/NT talent and we could have easily added depth there in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

We constantly complain that we don't have a chance to add real impact players in the draft because we're always picking at the back. Well, when you're picking at the back, if you want to add that impact player, sometimes you need to step outside your comfort zone and take a chance on a player who might come with a little more risk but has the upside to take our defense to the next level.

We passed on that chance. Certainly I'll give our guys a chance, but the way the roster has shaken out I don't see any reason to believe that we won't simply see more of the same on D this year - average, okay, but not good enough to win a championship without a top offense to complement it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you can never tell for sure where guys are going to end up, but the last couple times that Ted has made picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds that looked like major reaches, he wound up with Khyri Thornton and Jerron McMillian.

That's not exactly coming out smelling like roses with your 'smartest man in the room' picks. Lowry looks like this year's version.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A sensible way to rate a new draft is to see if it picked players that can overcome team weaknesses. Before the draft the Packers desperately needed an upgrade at ILB, a DT, OT depth, a second string TE, a quick RB and a big WR who can run.
Martinez looks like an upgrade but may have trouble covering the pass. Grade B-
Clark is more of a NT than a DT and Lowry has shown little ability in college to get to the QB. GRADE C+
Solid picks at OT with two guys that have good potential. Grade A
No TE drafted. If Jared Cook gets hurt it's big trouble again.Grade F
No RB drafted but somebody might be available as an UFA so it's an incomplete at this point.
WR Davis is fast has good hands. GRade B+
Overall Grade of B-

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you can never tell for sure where guys are going to end up, but the last couple times that Ted has made picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds that looked like major reaches, he wound up with Khyri Thornton and Jerron McMillian.

That's not exactly coming out smelling like roses with your 'smartest man in the room' picks. Lowry looks like this year's version.

Lowry was ranked 97 in PFF draft rankings. So accoriding to them he wasn't a reach at all. There are enough rankings to find a guy to be a steal or a reach I gurss

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry was ranked 97 in PFF draft rankings. So accoriding to them he wasn't a reach at all. There are enough rankings to find a guy to be a steal or a reach I gurss

True, it does depend who's rankings you go by. It just felt like a reach to me, as did McMillian and Thornton.

In fairness, so did Nick Collins. So I'm not going to say he's struck out every time, it just seems like TT has been in a bit of a draft slump since the Super Bowl. Last year's class looks pretty good so far, though. 2013 too.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What PFF draft rankings fail to take into account are team-specific schemes and the supporting cast of those teams. A player ranked #1 in PFF rankings might be ranked #200 for the Packers, and vice versa.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this was one of many TT drafs that will garner a bunch of special teams player and guys that stick around here longer than they should because they were drafted here. I could only imagine what this team would be like without Aaron Rodgers.

Members online

Latest posts