2022 Draft Grades

Grade the draft

• Total voters
Reaction score
Based on Dator's rating I can now with full confidence ignore that moran for the rest of this lifetime.
Plus just think about it. The teams that had the most draft capital statistically have an advantage in each draft. As an dramatic example, if we have:

Team A. Has 6 selections with zero top 40 selections and 4 of their 6 are Day3 selections across all rounds

Vs.

Team B. Has 10 selections, including 3 guys before pick #35 overall. Plus 7 more additional selections over Day 2-3.

How bad would you have to draft to earn a substantially lower group rating Team B?
I mean is Dator just a complete idiot .. or would it be far more likely that the draft class as a whole will be far more productive with more selections AND substantially earlier selections?

Dator has to be focused on several particular selections and not grading the group as a whole. That’s the only viable Defense and it’s not a good one. This Draft rating is an overall GROUP exercise, not individual drill. So he might just not be the sharpest in the shed ;) or he is disgusted with the Packers because he’s a Bears fan.:cry:

Last edited:

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup most likely a bitter Bear fan.
And can't say I would blame for for being bitter.
I hate the 49rs for similar reasons.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus just think about it. The teams that had the most draft capital statistically have an advantage in each draft. As an dramatic example, if we have:

Team A. Has 6 selections with zero top 40 selections and 4 of their 6 are Day3 selections across all rounds

Vs.

Team B. Has 10 selections, including 3 guys before pick #35 overall. Plus 7 more additional selections over Day 2-3.

How bad would you have to draft to earn a substantially lower group rating Team B?
I mean is Dator just a complete idiot .. or would it be far more likely that the draft class as a whole will be far more productive with more selections AND substantially earlier selections?

Dator has to be focused on several particular selections and not grading the group as a whole. That’s the only viable Defense and it’s not a good one. This Draft rating is an overall GROUP exercise, not individual drill. So he might just not be the sharpest in the shed ;) or he is disgusted with the Packers because he’s a Bears fan.:cry:

This is James Dator's evaluation of the Packers 2022 draft leading to the D grade.

Thank god the Vikings allowed Green Bay to trade up and bail them out, because this class was ugly otherwise. Christian Watson has huge potential to become a stud, but both Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt will turn into mediocre, wasted picks. There was some nice depth in the later rounds, but this draft was largely a failure in terms of making this team better, which is terrible when you enter with two first round picks.

I just don't know what he see's or more accurately doesn't see in this draft. He is one of the few who had the grade on the low side to not specify not getting a WR in round 1 so he must think that Q. Walker and D. Wyatt were incredible reaches. Sure everyone has their own opinions on where players rank and that is going to have a huge impact on their grade but I think pretty much everyone had Walker as at least a 2nd rounder and many people had Wyatt as a first rounder so I don't think that would indicate a huge reach. Certainly not enough to warrant a D. He does mention nice depth and likes Watson's potential so it had to hinge on those two picks.

As far as you first comments I was thinking the same thing. If you have three first round picks You had better get a good grade.

One comment I liked was that of Warren Sharp who say R. walker and K. Engabare were two of the three best value picks in teh entire draft while the Packers as a whole were second in value picks.

Reaction score
This is James Dator's evaluation of the Packers 2022 draft leading to the D grade.

Thank god the Vikings allowed Green Bay to trade up and bail them out, because this class was ugly otherwise. Christian Watson has huge potential to become a stud, but both Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt will turn into mediocre, wasted picks. There was some nice depth in the later rounds, but this draft was largely a failure in terms of making this team better, which is terrible when you enter with two first round picks.

I just don't know what he see's or more accurately doesn't see in this draft. He is one of the few who had the grade on the low side to not specify not getting a WR in round 1 so he must think that Q. Walker and D. Wyatt were incredible reaches. Sure everyone has their own opinions on where players rank and that is going to have a huge impact on their grade but I think pretty much everyone had Walker as at least a 2nd rounder and many people had Wyatt as a first rounder so I don't think that would indicate a huge reach. Certainly not enough to warrant a D. He does mention nice depth and likes Watson's potential so it had to hinge on those two picks.

Thank you! It’s insight into the mind of the disturbed ;)

I think we looked at pick #22 more than any other than WR. After rereading several analysis on him, he tends to be that ILB that is most NFL ready. He doesn’t have the high grade pass rushing grade you’d like in a #22. However he makes up for that with NFL size and pure athleticism. Meaning his immediate impact rivals any ILB in the draft AND he’s going to win a starting role year 1. That means instant production as far as our system specifically. Also he’s paired with an All-Pro and a LB whisperer in Barry.

He’s probably going to be in the top 2-3 production ranking (or better) compared with the group of 10 Rookies. In a “Win Now” mentality he was clearly the safest pick of the LB position group. He’s a scheme fit with a high floor, which is perfect for GB.

We all knew Devonte Wyatt had some minor ?? But playing tough was never one of them. I saw him advertised as low as mid-Day1 and as high as #50 overall with rare exception. At #28 overall, Wyatt is right smack dab in that consensus area. In nearly every interactive Mock he came up late Day 1 or early Day 2. While Dator might end up being spot on prophetic, it’s highly unlikely he’s a poor player that grades below so poorly as to bring a group of 10 separate draftees to a D “average” grade. That means he’s an F grade, maybe F- according to Dator

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you! It’s insight into the mind of the disturbed ;)

I think we looked at pick #22 more than any other than WR. After rereading several analysis on him, he tends to be that ILB that is most NFL ready. He doesn’t have the high grade pass rushing grade you’d like in a #22. However he makes up for that with NFL size and pure athleticism. Meaning his immediate impact rivals any ILB in the draft AND he’s going to win a starting role year 1. That means instant production as far as our system specifically. Also he’s paired with an All-Pro and a LB whisperer in Barry.

He’s probably going to be in the top 2-3 production ranking (or better) compared with the group of 10 Rookies. In a “Win Now” mentality he was clearly the safest pick of the LB position group. He’s a scheme fit with a high floor, which is perfect for GB.

We all knew Devonte Wyatt had some minor ?? But playing tough was never one of them. I saw him advertised as low as mid-Day1 and as high as #50 overall with rare exception. At #28 overall, Wyatt is right smack dab in that consensus area. In nearly every interactive Mock he came up late Day 1 or early Day 2. While Dator might end up being spot on prophetic, it’s highly unlikely he’s a poor player that grades below so poorly as to bring a group of 10 separate draftees to a D “average” grade. That means he’s an F grade, maybe F- according to Dator
Its comments like this that make me shake my head

both Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt will turn into mediocre, wasted picks.

Its possible that he gave his opinion on these guys before the draft as to why he had them rated so low and he expects that everybody will have read them but that's an assumption that just makes him look like an idiot. OK, that's your opinion but why? He has to have a reason why he thinks they will turn out to be wasted picks. Does he think Wyatt has character issues and off the field problems? Does he think Walker was carried by the rest of the Georgia defense? Those are opinions as well but at least there is some reasoning behind them. At least he gave it some thought before he just dismissed them.

Anyone can write an evaluation like this. I could write an evaluation like this. In fact I think every one of the Ravens picks will will turn into mediocre wasted picks. I give them an F for the draft because they had so many picks and didn't get a single one right. I don't need to say why I think they will be be wasted picks I just have to say it and people will have to respect it because its my opinion.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/ If you haven't checked this out yet its a great site. I could spend hours comparing just one thing I noticed, I just gave a quick once over of maybe 30 other mocks and every one had Wyatt going in round 1

Reaction score
pete priscoe says:

Green Bay Packers: B+​

Best Pick: First-round linebacker Quay Walker is a playmaker who will really add speed to their defense. I know fans probably wanted a receiver, but Walker is a heck of a player who pay off in a big way.

Worst Pick: I didn't like the trade up for receiver Christian Watson. I know they need help, but I think there were better options.

The Skinny: They hit big with their first two picks in Walker and defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt. Most wanted at least one receiver there, but they held true to their board. They traded up to get Watson, but I think there were better options. I love fourth-round tackle Zach Tom.
There were several other WR I liked after Day 1 was over. But a still and small voice kept reminding me of Christian Watson. I totally get the small school Arguments and his modest production.
There’s something inside me that speaks to his ceiling. I think Watson’s floor is just medium compared to several other WR medium-high or high. Yet he’s easily top 3 in “dynamic ability”. He’s kinda a dark horse risk, but he’s given glimpses of possible greatness. He’s already NFL sized, NFL speed and yet he’s got lots of room to grow. I don’t think I’m close to being alone in seeing he’s got thrusters that look somewhat effortless.

jdizz81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker and Wyatt filled needs we need to be elite on defense. I drafted Wyatt at 22 in my mocks several times, I do admit I didn’t see ILB in round one but it was and has been a weak link for years. It will be nice to have two high end ILB and finally a partner with Kenny.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess the old saying of "you can't fix stupid" really is the only way to describe this "Marilyn, a longtime Packer fan and shareholder".

Reaction score
The more I read up on Zach Tom the more I think he will become early competitor at starter at an interior OL spot. The fact we took 3 OL, with 2 Top-140 selections speaks to us wanting to see improvement at OL. Also I have top 50-150 players going around a 1/2 Round later than they would in a typical draft due to Covid talent surge. 150+ selections going a Round later than we’d normally see.
Zach Tom gets a A- grade in RD4

Man. We have a ton at stake with at minimum 2 formidable RB’s and a HOF, but aging QB. I think our Running game sparks significantly this year. That should open our passing attack as teams figure out that the Packers are getting it done by gashing them on the ground.

Also I finally got to listen to post draft interviews with Ford and watch his film. That Jonathan Ford was a nice find there. Interesting that He went to grade school with T Slaton and he said he’s actually floating closer to 340, but he’s really in good shape at 6’5+ He looks more like 315 and he reminds me a lot of
N Suh from his look, broad shoulders, muscular base and his body moves similar. He’d just a big man and I noticed he’s really hard to move off his spot and he regularly wins his matchups, with a good He’s our Mike Pennel type pick. Good value and solid rotational and he’s another one that went on a full round skid. He needs refining at finishing, it’s like he has the hard part down as far as disruption through power and quickness all up in the backfield but needs turn that positive momentum into results. Medium-low Floor, medium-High ceiling.
Jon Ford DT gets a B grade

Last edited:
Reaction score
Devonte Wyatt B+

The guy shouldn’t have been there at #28 and if he matures and gets over some minor domestic altercations he’s going to stay at B+ or move up to A to A- level by year 2.

I see him as Kenny’s Co Pilot inside 1 season. Luckily he has Reed who can take some pressure off having to be compared to Kenny. This is as strong a D front as I can remember.

Quay Walker A-
Interesting that in Pre-draft film it was said that “if Quay Walker played in a D where there was an established Veteran starter entrenched? He would be the Batman to his Robin”.
Very instinctive Football smarts. His film proved that He just understands the game and disguises his movements well. The Packers have the absolute perfect LB setup for Walker to mop up big production #’s earlier in his career. Much will depend on how quickly he gets acclimated, but it’s going to be really intriguing to see him paired with an All Pro LB.
Also. If Walker plays initially on ST, watch out he’s going to absolutely crush people.Had Walker been snagged later Day1 or early Day2? he’d be an A grade

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the best draft they've had since I started following the team. It's obviously too early to grade, but I don't think they could have done any better than they did.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the best draft they've had since I started following the team. It's obviously too early to grade, but I don't think they could have done any better than they did.

Honestly the only pick I’m critical of where we picked is Ford. To be in the seventh round and second one at that to be picky is awesome.

Reaction score
Honestly the only pick I’m critical of where we picked is Ford. To be in the seventh round and second one at that to be picky is awesome.
I’d love to know where Brian had our 7th Rounders on his board. I’d really like to just see his draft board altogether but I don’t want to get too greedy. :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d love to know where Brian had our 7th Rounders on his board. I’d really like to just see his draft board altogether but I don’t want to get too greedy. :)

IF memory serves it was discussed that Kylin Hill they had quite high on their board but need and others led them to go SJC then VanLanen, McDuffie before finally taking him.

Reaction score
IF memory serves it was discussed that Kylin Hill they had quite high on their board but need and others led them to go SJC then VanLanen, McDuffie before finally taking him.
It’s my belief that had Khylin stayed under the radar there in Miss St,
he would’ve had back to back 1,300+ seasons or thereabouts. The missing 2020 production hurt his draft stock. Also some character concerns with the multi games suspension.

If we had went back in time and cleaned up a few of those details, he was en easy 4th Rounder. I still see him in the mold of a Jamaal Williams type producer, if he makes full recovery and gets a full season under his belt.

His translation into pads was remarkable. He might run a 4.57, but he’s probably close to that suited up and he’s got a built in auto-Endzone sniffer

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s my belief that had Khylin stayed under the radar there in Miss St,
he would’ve had back to back 1,300+ seasons or thereabouts. The missing 2020 production hurt his draft stock. Also some character concerns with the multi games suspension.

If we had went back in time and cleaned up a few of those details, he was en easy 4th Rounder. I still see him in the mold of a Jamaal Williams type producer, if he makes full recovery and gets a full season under his belt.

His translation into pads was remarkable. He might run a 4.57, but he’s probably close to that suited up and he’s got a built in auto-Endzone sniffer

The thing with Hill is I feel he gets to his top speed VERY fast. Acceleration like that creates terrible angles by defenders and causes missed tackles.

Reaction score
The thing with Hill is I feel he gets to his top speed VERY fast. Acceleration like that creates terrible angles by defenders and causes missed tackles.
That agility. Add a low center of gravity with his thicker short muscular build. There’s a reason why guys like Barry Sanders were effective against much bigger players. You take that measurable and add some attitude and it becomes a formidable concoction.

It’s actually his pass catching prowess that gives him added upside. When he gets the ball in space he’s crafty with fighting for extra yards. Healthy, he’s easily our #3 RB. In a year or two maybe a #2

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts