Getting Cobb Involved

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers was definitely forcing the ball to Jordy at times, to the detriment of the offence.
Jordy took a step back in this game, but he's still ahead of where I thought he'd be at this time.
Me too. This why I think Jordy should be running more TE type routes in the middle of the field until his speed returns. He is good at getting the ball in traffic and has the size to hold up. Until Cook returns Jordy can be our stretch the field TE. We ain't got no one else on the roster for that job. That leaves an outside slot available for someone really fast.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too. This why I think Jordy should be running more TE type routes in the middle of the field until his speed returns. He is good at getting the ball in traffic and has the size to hold up. Until Cook returns Jordy can be our stretch the field TE. We ain't got no one else on the roster for that job.

Interesting concept.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm a little worried about Jordy's ability to get open deep. Defenders aren't biting on his patented double move anymore until he shows he can beat them deep and another time I remember we did look deep to him for some reason Janis was within five yards as well bringing defenders into the mix. I haven't seen anything from Davis yet, but I think we all recognize what Janis is capable of down the field.

If all that was needed to stretch the field was the ability to run down it very fast we would be set. There is more to it than that however.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is capable of being lucky occasionally (I tend to believe the coaches want to win games and therefore know more about players we see for 17 plays a week).

The issue is that the Packers offense has been fairly predictable. For the first half against the Giants the Packers actually broke out of that mold and tried some new things, kind of like a prairie dog coming out of its hole...unfortunately, much like the prairie dog diving back into his hole, McCarthy got a little scared with the newness and retreated back to the comfort of the 1/1 personnel group and its attendant staleness.

The problem with the first drive is it took too long. In 9 minutes of possession MM wants the ball at least 3 times so he can go long and have the possibility of 3 TDs, or 3 three and outs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with the first drive is it took too long. In 9 minutes of possession MM wants the ball at least 3 times so he can go long and have the possibility of 3 TDs, or 3 three and outs.
I would disagree, any drive that ends in 7 points is a success, I'd rather they took 9 minutes than 2. Your offense is still on the field, finding rhythm, running plays and keeping the ball away from the other offense and giving them zero opportunities to score points. or was there sarcasm in that post? I think there may have been, but we're 1 month in with a newborn, sleep is still at a premium and I haven't had much.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would disagree, any drive that ends in 7 points is a success, I'd rather they took 9 minutes than 2. Your offense is still on the field, finding rhythm, running plays and keeping the ball away from the other offense and giving them zero opportunities to score points. or was there sarcasm in that post? I think there may have been, but we're 1 month in with a newborn, sleep is still at a premium and I haven't had much.

I might be wrong here but I think Sschind was being a little tongue-in-cheek in his response by saying that MM wants to go fast so he can either throw a deep ball for a quick TD or just get to punt faster; i.e., McCarthy just has ADD on offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only half kidding. Janis showed what he's capable of down the field late last year most notably against the Cardinals with that 7/145/2 line and I look for him to get more opportunities now with the club off while Nelson is still looking to regain explosiveness and rhythm like when he tried that failed double move against the Giants or letting the ball bounce right off his hands for a costly interception in the red zone.

While I agree with some other posters that it seems Nelson has lost a step and therefore has troubles getting open deep there's no reason to replace him with Janis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jordy will be 32 next year and is coming off a major knee injury. While he may have lost a step since 2014, he still has the hands (remove Giants game) and savvy to be a very productive dangerous WR for the Packers. However, this isn't the time to panic, but a time where MM needs to figure out other ways to use Jordy more effectively. Run him out of the slot if you have to, mix things up, eventually defenses will have to respect the entire field when it comes to Jordy and that may reopen up the deep stuff for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jordy will be 32 next year and is coming off a major knee injury. While he may have lost a step since 2014, he still has the hands (remove Giants game) and savvy to be a very productive dangerous WR for the Packers. However, this isn't the time to panic, but a time where MM needs to figure out other ways to use Jordy more effectively. Run him out of the slot if you have to, mix things up, eventually defenses will have to respect the entire field when it comes to Jordy and that may reopen up the deep stuff for him.

There's no doubt that Nelson is still capable of being a productive receiver for the Packers but the team might need another deep threat to stretch a defense though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might be wrong here but I think Sschind was being a little tongue-in-cheek in his response by saying that MM wants to go fast so he can either throw a deep ball for a quick TD or just get to punt faster; i.e., McCarthy just has ADD on offense.
I think so too, but didn't think about it till after I was responding. So I just covered my bases :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would expect to see more of Davis to fill that role.

There's no indication yet that Davis will amount to anything more than a return guy or scrub.
Maybe going after better more proven talent, instead of just hoping 7th round picks or UDFA's become something might help.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He dropped one ball. You can't teach speed. Give him some chances. Abredaris and Montgomery too.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would expect to see more of Davis to fill that role.

Davis has only played a total of 24 snaps on offense without having a reception. Therefore I think it's way too early to expect him to fill that role successfully.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis has only played a total of 24 snaps on offense without having a reception. Therefore I think it's way too early to expect him to fill that role successfully.

That may be true...but when you have a burner in the game? trust me, when I say the safeties are well aware.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

*swallows hard* but but......are you saying...."Janis" then? :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no indication yet that Davis will amount to anything more than a return guy or scrub.
Maybe going after better more proven talent, instead of just hoping 7th round picks or UDFA's become something might help.

Davis was a 5th round pick and was drafted for his speed. If you can't get that from Jordy, then next man up. I would be in favor of using higher draft picks to improve what I have been saying for quite awhile now is an average WR group, but as of today, we have 7 guys, so pick which one you want running the long routes.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis was a 5th round pick and was drafted for his speed. If you can't get that from Jordy, then next man up. I would be in favor of using higher draft picks to improve what I have been saying for quite a while now is an average WR group, but as of today, we have 7 guys, so pick which one you want running the long routes.

We don't have anyone. Pick all seven to take turns, it won't matter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, we need four 1st round draft picks every year so that we can have the best of everything at every position.

Members online

Latest posts