Getting Cobb Involved

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhere in the fourth quarter, I finally understood why MM seems to work so hard early in games to get Cobb's hands on the ball and involved. You mean there's a point to the sometimes almost cringe-worthy Cobb handoffs and WR screens?

Yup.

When Cobb is properly involved in the offense he's a match up nightmare, problem in the middle of the field, and threat for YAC. IMO he looked down-right mean down the stetch hauling in contested catches, pushing up the field and barking and flexing after huge first down catches bringing energy to the offense. Not to mention getting that TD catch before it got called back.

Welcome back, Randall:ninja::tup:

Last edited:

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't say welcome back after that last shot he took. He's going to go through the concussion protocol just you watch.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
He played great. Hopefully he is ok cause that's all we need is Cobb to not play after his best game this season. Also still waiting for that game where Nelson and Cobb can be effective in the same game.

Cobb has to get the ball more crossing in the middle of the field. We saw how great he was today in that situation. That third down conversion (the one where he broke a couple tackles) was great. Great day all around for Cobb.

Reaction score
Cobb saved the day. That was a downright ugly shot to the head/neck. Those kinda hits to the head and neck are often career ending and that should've been an ejection.
I've seen much lesser hits to a receiver that were spot fouls and player fines
Im hoping he didn't suffer permanent damage

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb had a huge game. I love this guy, plays his *** off every game. Loved seeing him bounce back up after that big hit too, kid is a warrior.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb saved the day. That was a downright ugly shot to the head/neck. Those kinda hits to the head and neck are often career ending and that should've been an ejection.
I've seen much lesser hits to a receiver that were spot fouls and player fines
Im hoping he didn't suffer permanent damage

I've just tried searching online and for some reason it's surprisingly difficult for me to find the NFL helmet to helmet rule.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that helmet to helmet hits are not illegal on players who have become established runners.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I wish we had more running backs like Randall to spell Lacy when he is on the side lines, Randall just adds a shifty type of running to keep defenses n their heels

D

Deleted member 6794

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that helmet to helmet hits are not illegal on players who have become established runners.

It's true that the league only penalizes helmet to helmet hits on defenseless players. In addition a tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent as well as any player using the top of his helmet unnecessarily results in a 15-yard penalty.

I'm not sure Collins helmet even made contact with Cobb's on the play though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was a shoulder to the head. I would have to look at it again to see if it was done purposefully. It reminded me of the way Trent Green was hit. Hunting for the head should definitely be a foul and ejection and fine. Maybe a suspension. imho

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine how much more productive he would be if we truly had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field. They need to use Trevor Davis or Janis way more. The run game was good enough to where Rodgers could've hit on some of those long play action passes. Jordy was covered up pretty good on a couple of those and Rodgers forced it to him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hunting for the head should definitely be a foul and ejection and fine. Maybe a suspension. imho

Absolutely agree with that and taking a look at Collins' tackle it might have been on purpose.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't say welcome back after that last shot he took. He's going to go through the concussion protocol just you watch.

According to Rob Demovsky the Packers checked out Cobb for a concussion after the game and he passed the tests. The receiver said the hit was to his neck, not the head.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way his neck twisted back ... you have to hit the head to do that. At least that is what I saw.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was more likely to be neck or ribs than a concussion seeing the play

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I've just tried searching online and for some reason it's surprisingly difficult for me to find the NFL helmet to helmet rule.

There was no helmet-to-helmet contact on this play. Collins led with his forearm and shoulder, which impacted Cobb's head and neck area.

Though I think it was a dangerous hit that I wish had been avoided, I can accept that the defender was probably trying to both stop Cobb's forward motion as well as possibly trying to jar the ball loose.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was trying to say that "head hunting" should be very illegal. Doesn't matter if you hit with the helmet or your body if you are going for the head. There is a difference between hitting someone in the head while in the process of tackling and just going for the head in order to make a tackle/fumble. It is really dangerous.

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine how much more productive he would be if we truly had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field. They need to use Trevor Davis or Janis way more. The run game was good enough to where Rodgers could've hit on some of those long play action passes. Jordy was covered up pretty good on a couple of those and Rodgers forced it to him.
Agreed. I'm a little worried about Jordy's ability to get open deep. Defenders aren't biting on his patented double move anymore until he shows he can beat them deep and another time I remember we did look deep to him for some reason Janis was within five yards as well bringing defenders into the mix. I haven't seen anything from Davis yet, but I think we all recognize what Janis is capable of down the field.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe this is the rule you're thinking of: "A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul"

It is illegal to lead with the helmet outside the tackle box, the change was that now runners are not allowed to lower their heads (something that I still have never seen called). Incidental helmet hits are still ok so long as the guy being hit isn't Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm a little worried about Jordy's ability to get open deep. Defenders aren't biting on his patented double move anymore until he shows he can beat them deep and another time I remember we did look deep to him for some reason Janis was within five yards as well bringing defenders into the mix. I haven't seen anything from Davis yet, but I think we all recognize what Janis is capable of down the field.

Janis is capable of being lucky occasionally (I tend to believe the coaches want to win games and therefore know more about players we see for 17 plays a week).

The issue is that the Packers offense has been fairly predictable. For the first half against the Giants the Packers actually broke out of that mold and tried some new things, kind of like a prairie dog coming out of its hole...unfortunately, much like the prairie dog diving back into his hole, McCarthy got a little scared with the newness and retreated back to the comfort of the 1/1 personnel group and its attendant staleness.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the playcalling/game planning was just odd. MM just flat out stopped doing the things that were working. I don't understand it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't seen anything from Davis yet, but I think we all recognize what Janis is capable of down the field.

Yeah, like getting way too far inside on his route on a deep play designed for Nelson dragging additional defenders with him into Jordy's vicinity.

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, like getting way too far inside on his route on a deep play designed for Nelson dragging additional defenders with him into Jordy's vicinity.
Maybe that's the key. Get Jordy off the field:cool:

Only half kidding. Janis showed what he's capable of down the field late last year most notably against the Cardinals with that 7/145/2 line and I look for him to get more opportunities now with the club off while Nelson is still looking to regain explosiveness and rhythm like when he tried that failed double move against the Giants or letting the ball bounce right off his hands for a costly interception in the red zone.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not really disagreeing with you, however while Janis was in the vicinity, he was behind the play. I have only seen the play once, but I remember thinking when I saw it live that Jordy had gone deep, had not been able to outrun the cornerback and yet somehow Janis was further downfield than anybody else. I am not really defending Janis, because you are probably right about where he should have been (or not been). I am concerned about Jordy's deep speed though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not really disagreeing with you, however while Janis was in the vicinity, he was behind the play. I have only seen the play once, but I remember thinking when I saw it live that Jordy had gone deep, had not been able to outrun the cornerback and yet somehow Janis was further downfield than anybody else. I am not really defending Janis, because you are probably right about where he should have been (or not been). I am concerned about Jordy's deep speed though.
I saw this too. I think Rodgers should have gone over the top to Janis with Jordy running a slightly shorter route. ISTM that Aaron is making up his mind to go to Jordy at the snap and that is what is throwing the Off out of kilter. Jordy's body is not letting him deliver on many of those routes and pedestrian CBs can cover him. On a sideline pass that Jordy "dropped", on the replay from behind the QB, Davis was wide open 40 yds downfield. The radio announcers mentioned it in their post game show. To them it looked like Jordy was getting the ball before it was snapped based on the single coverage. Rodgers never looked elsewhere.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was definitely forcing the ball to Jordy at times, to the detriment of the offence.
Jordy took a step back in this game, but he's still ahead of where I thought he'd be at this time.

Members online

Latest posts