Getting Cobb Involved

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think we saw what happened last year with the offense when everyone rightfully declared "we don't have any deep threats". So throwing up our hands this year and saying the same thing, won't change the fact that we currently have 7 WR's on the 53 man roster, if everyone is convinced that a deep threat is needed and Jordy can't get it done, then who? Davis is the only new member of the group, unless Allison is ready.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If RR catches a perfect pass in the endzone, our performance looks better. If Jordy doesn't have a case of the drops after starting out with some nice catches, our offense looks better. The one for and INT looked bad from all ways. If Rodgers doesn't throw a couple short passes in the dirt, or Starks catches a screen for what would have been a big gainer, our offense looks better.

We need to execute. Period. It's not like we're asking guys to do things they aren't capable of. I think it's slowly coming together again. but you can't drop perfect passes in the endzone. You can't have them go off your hands in scoring position and turn the ball over. You can't drop a perfectly set up screen. Those things are offensive killers and they have to stop and our offense is more than capable. Speed and deep threat are just something to talk about to pass the time.

D

Deleted member 6794

If RR catches a perfect pass in the endzone, our performance looks better. If Jordy doesn't have a case of the drops after starting out with some nice catches, our offense looks better. The one for and INT looked bad from all ways. If Rodgers doesn't throw a couple short passes in the dirt, or Starks catches a screen for what would have been a big gainer, our offense looks better.

We need to execute. Period. It's not like we're asking guys to do things they aren't capable of. I think it's slowly coming together again. but you can't drop perfect passes in the endzone. You can't have them go off your hands in scoring position and turn the ball over. You can't drop a perfectly set up screen. Those things are offensive killers and they have to stop and our offense is more than capable. Speed and deep threat are just something to talk about to pass the time.

I agree that a lack of execution is currently the main problem of the Packers offense. There's no doubt that a legitimate deep threat would help the unit though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would help, my point is only that this offense can be plenty potent enough if they just make the plays that are there to be made. there were a minimum of 10 points that would have been scored had someone just made the play that was right there to be made. anytime we put up 33 with this defense, i'm going to feel pretty good predicting wins and losses.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would disagree, any drive that ends in 7 points is a success, I'd rather they took 9 minutes than 2. Your offense is still on the field, finding rhythm, running plays and keeping the ball away from the other offense and giving them zero opportunities to score points. or was there sarcasm in that post? I think there may have been, but we're 1 month in with a newborn, sleep is still at a premium and I haven't had much.

I was being a bit facetious. I meant it as a problem to MM, not to me, I loved it. I know I didn't give much hint but you did catch it.

Congrats on the new baby. You will have time to sleep between the ages of say 3 and 13

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not convinced the Packers currently have a legitimate deep threat on the roster.

With young guys that's not uncommon. More telling is are you convinced they do not. That's when the frustration really creeps in. When they keep trotting out guys you honestly don't think can get the job done. There is always hope but sometimes even that just flies in the face of logic. There is a huge difference in feeling "when is he going to get it" and "he's never going to get it"

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

By my conservative estimation the dropped catches on both sides of the ball are costing us 7 points a game even if only half the drops are caught. That would put us #2 in the league in scoring. Guys on both sides need to start making more catches.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"If".... Every team can say that. They're not getting it done, period. This isn't week one with a new bunch of guys and unknowns who haven't worked together or are just learning the system.
And I'd like to add my own congratulations on your new baby, Mondio! Best of luck , health and happiness to you and your family.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
By my conservative estimation the dropped catches on both sides of the ball are costing us 7 points a game even if only half the drops are caught. That would put us #2 in the league in scoring. Guys on both sides need to start making more catches.
Remember to take into consideration the dropped balls for the other team as well, because there have been some. ;)

But I agree with you, while you will never have perfection and there will be a dropped ball here and there, the Packers have to improve on their side and just hope the other teams have the normal share of drops.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, not a big fan of "if's" but they are noticeable. RR, for all his shortcomings, has always had very, very good hands. He dropped one he normally catches. They do have to perform, but we start every year slow on offense. I see pieces and flashes of what this will be when it comes together. Maybe they won't. I've been wrong plenty, but I hope I'm not

and thanks, everyone is great and he's growing fast like they all do.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we are talking about WRs one play in the Giants game I haven't seen anyone mention is the pass that went over Adams' head where he pulled his arms down. It looked like he could have made a decent attempt at it and if I am not mistaken the pass was meant clearly for him (no one else was behind him) but as Chris Collinsworth said you don't expect a ball to be that poorly thrown by Rodgers so it was as if Adams thought it must have been meant for someone else further down the field. I have no idea what Adams was thinking but what is the convention here. if you have a shot at it do you go for it. I mean you don't always know whats behind you It could have been Janoris Jenkins again for all he knew. Of course there is the thought that he may be messing up a perfect throw to another wide open guy and it would have been a tough catch with the risk of another tipped ball. I've never played WR so what are players coached to do in situations like that.

I do remember thinking this is going to bring the Adams haters out in full force. Its like a WR going alligator arms over the middle. Apparently it wan't a big deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have no idea what Adams was thinking but what is the convention here. if you have a shot at it do you go for it. I mean you don't always know whats behind you

If there is a teammate directly behind you, one of you has probably run the wrong route on that play, or it was a severely underthrown ball if you ran the right route and it was meant for a guy who also ran the right route. Guess my reaction would be, if it's in your general area and catchable, you go up for it. When you have a guy like AR throwing to you, you are most likely use to accurate throws and I could understand Adams confusion and the reaction to pull his arms away. Unless in that brief second he goes through all the scenarios and decides to go up and does come down with it, otherwise, it's kind of a no win situation Adams is in. If he goes for it and only tips it and it's intercepted he looks bad. If he pulls his arms back and it's intercepted, he looks bad.

In any case, that one was on AR.

D

Deleted member 6794

Since we are talking about WRs one play in the Giants game I haven't seen anyone mention is the pass that went over Adams' head where he pulled his arms down. It looked like he could have made a decent attempt at it and if I am not mistaken the pass was meant clearly for him (no one else was behind him) but as Chris Collinsworth said you don't expect a ball to be that poorly thrown by Rodgers so it was as if Adams thought it must have been meant for someone else further down the field. I have no idea what Adams was thinking but what is the convention here. if you have a shot at it do you go for it. I mean you don't always know whats behind you It could have been Janoris Jenkins again for all he knew. Of course there is the thought that he may be messing up a perfect throw to another wide open guy and it would have been a tough catch with the risk of another tipped ball. I've never played WR so what are players coached to do in situations like that.

I do remember thinking this is going to bring the Adams haters out in full force. Its like a WR going alligator arms over the middle. Apparently it wan't a big deal.

I think it's pretty obvious that Adams expected another Packers receiver to be the intended target and therefore he didn't attempt to catch the ball. While Rodgers ball was terribly off Adams would have been partly to blame if it had been intercepted.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a horribly thrown ball and to me Adams pulled down and reacted like someone else was the intended target. If I remember correctly that ball came out pretty quickly and I think in that situation Adams should know he's the intended target because nobody else could be back there that fast. I don't think it mattered how hard he tried to catch that ball thinking it was for him or someone else, I don't think he was catching it anyway

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious but when people suggest that Jordy needs to play less or that other receivers need to play more (e.g., Janis, Davis, Montgomery), are you aware that you're basically saying that MM doesn't know any more than you about what those players are capable of? I mean, if those players were actually the better options then either MM is a bad coach or he doesn't want to win and is only interested in being really good friends with Cobb, Nelson and Adams.

Janis has very real limitations in his game. He had two very memorable, very lucky plays last year. Those two plays don't outweigh all the plays during practice that the public doesn't get to see. Additionally, the issues on offense are somewhat on the receivers but only because McCarthy's system doesn't do much to help them out, McCarthy's offense relies on guys beating their defender; something that won't be fixed with younger, less experienced receivers. I would rather see McCarthy start to get out of his comfort zone and start helping the receivers a little more in getting open or changing up the personnel groupings (like the first half against the Giants).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Judging from results, maybe a lot of people's competence needs to be questioned.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just curious but when people suggest that Jordy needs to play less or that other receivers need to play more (e.g., Janis, Davis, Montgomery), are you aware that you're basically saying that MM doesn't know any more than you about what those players are capable of? I mean, if those players were actually the better options then either MM is a bad coach or he doesn't want to win and is only interested in being really good friends with Cobb, Nelson and Adams.

The Packers offense looked at its best against the Giants during the first drive when McCarthy used various different formations as well as Montgomery, Davis and Janis. There's no doubt that Nelson, Cobb and Adams are the team's best receivers but that doesn't mean the other WRs on the roster shouldn't get on the field.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense looked at its best against the Giants during the first drive when McCarthy used various different formations as well as Montgomery, Davis and Janis. There's no doubt that Nelson, Cobb and Adams are the team's best receivers but that doesn't mean the other WRs on the roster shouldn't get on the field.

As I said, I think those other receivers can do well but McCarthy needs to deviate from his stubborn insistence on the 1/1 personnel groups.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Janis has very real limitations in his game. He had two very memorable, very lucky plays last year. Those two plays don't outweigh all the plays during practice that the public doesn't get to see. Additionally, the issues on offense are somewhat on the receivers but only because McCarthy's system doesn't do much to help them out, McCarthy's offense relies on guys beating their defender; something that won't be fixed with younger, less experienced receivers. I would rather see McCarthy start to get out of his comfort zone and start helping the receivers a little more in getting open or changing up the personnel groupings (like the first half against the Giants).

IMO, for over a year now, MM and the Packers have been scratching their heads and looking for answers as to what is wrong with the passing game, is it the the players, the scheme, AR or a combination of all 3? I don't think its a matter of not playing your best 3 (Jordy, Cobb, Adams) but more of a "what else can we further do to get better and more consistent with the guys we have" and mixing in one of the other 4 WR's on occasion. I don't expect Jordy to have another game like he did against the Giants. Cobb once again showed why he became one of the highest paid slot receivers when we resigned him. Adams is kind of the mystery man of the 3. Never really know who is going to show up on any given Sunday or any given play. Factor Aaron Rodgers and his year of inconsistent play and its kind of a fuzzy picture for the coaches and players. Also, the other 4 WR's all have their pluses and minuses, but really don't add much at this point but hope for what they could possibly become for the Packers.

At this point, you grind it out with your top 3, get Cook healthy and hope the problems work themselves behind a pretty decent OL.

D

Deleted member 6794

At this point, you grind it out with your top 3, get Cook healthy and hope the problems work themselves behind a pretty decent OL.

Well, if the Packers planned on mostly using their top three receivers only one has to question the reason for keeping seven on the active roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, if the Packers planned on mostly using their top three receivers only one has to question the reason for keeping seven on the active roster.

LOL....a question I ask myself all the time. My only guess is that TT didn't want to part with any of the guys he drafted? :coffee: You can break down why each of those guys made the team, but wasting away on the bench probably isn't one of them. I think you brought it up in another thread and I have read articles alluding to the fact that maybe Sunday's game that saw Abby get no offensive snaps is an indication that his time in GB might be up. Same probably could be said about Janis, if he doesn't get back to contributing on Special Teams. Davis and Monty are safe for now.

Members online

Latest posts