Getting Cobb Involved

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you brought it up in another thread and I have read articles alluding to the fact that maybe Sunday's game that saw Abby get no offensive snaps is an indication that his time in GB might be up. Same probably could be said about Janis, if he doesn't get back to contributing on Special Teams. Davis and Monty are safe for now.

Janis actually received the most playing time of any receiver aside of the top three vs. the Giants with 13 snaps compared to Davis with seven and Montgomery with two.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense looked at its best against the Giants during the first drive when McCarthy used various different formations as well as Montgomery, Davis and Janis. There's no doubt that Nelson, Cobb and Adams are the team's best receivers but that doesn't mean the other WRs on the roster shouldn't get on the field.
And to take it a step farther, Rodgers needs to look for the actual open receiver and pull the trigger. I really think Rodgers has been deciding who he is going to throw to before the ball is snapped. When that player is covered he often has missed an open receiver elsewhere.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Janis actually received the most playing time of any receiver aside of the top three vs. the Giants with 13 snaps compared to Davis with seven and Montgomery with two.

How many targets? I had seen the snap counts a few days ago and the funny thing is, I hardly remember any of those 3 guys even being on the field. At least against Detroit the Packers ran Davis deep and Rodgers through up an incredible pass to him, no catch but a 60+ yard PI call.

AR definitely has an order of who he wants to throw the ball to and that seems like #87, #18, #17 and #82

D

Deleted member 6794

How many targets? I had seen the snap counts a few days ago and the funny thing is, I hardly remember any of those 3 guys even being on the field. At least against Detroit the Packers ran Davis deep and Rodgers through up an incredible pass to him, no catch but a 60+ yard PI call.

AR definitely has an order of who he wants to throw the ball to and that seems like #87, #18, #17 and #82

True, Rodgers didn't target any other wide receiver than Nelson, Cobb and Adams.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, for over a year now, MM and the Packers have been scratching their heads and looking for answers as to what is wrong with the passing game, is it the the players, the scheme, AR or a combination of all 3? I don't think its a matter of not playing your best 3 (Jordy, Cobb, Adams) but more of a "what else can we further do to get better and more consistent with the guys we have" and mixing in one of the other 4 WR's on occasion. I don't expect Jordy to have another game like he did against the Giants. Cobb once again showed why he became one of the highest paid slot receivers when we resigned him. Adams is kind of the mystery man of the 3. Never really know who is going to show up on any given Sunday or any given play. Factor Aaron Rodgers and his year of inconsistent play and its kind of a fuzzy picture for the coaches and players. Also, the other 4 WR's all have their pluses and minuses, but really don't add much at this point but hope for what they could possibly become for the Packers.

At this point, you grind it out with your top 3, get Cook healthy and hope the problems work themselves behind a pretty decent OL.

The scheme of the offense needs to change. Use other receivers but perhaps give them some help and stop relying them to beat their guys with no help. I don't think Rodgers is the first QB in history to go from "best in the NFL" to just "good" with attendant injury, I think Rodgers looks worse because so much of this offense has always relied on his magnificence to make the offense great and, with age robbing Nelson of some athleticism and Rodgers getting a little worse as he gets older, suddenly Rodgers isn't capable of single-handedly making this offensive scheme look terrific. It's weird that people complain about Capers and yet McCarthy is the coach that has managed to do far less with what he's been given while in Green Bay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't bookmark the article, but I remember reading this week that the Packers ran something like a total of 5 offensive plays that involved crossing routes against the Giants. I don't have a brilliant offensive mind, nor do I get paid to have one, but to me that just seems crazy. When you have guys who are having problems getting open, start using all the tools available to try and shed some defenders.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this, in a nutshell, is a big part of the problem. The defense only needs to token cover everyone else since they are a decoy anyway and concentrate their coverage on these four. On the deep throw to Jordy when Janis ran the wrong route, Jordy hadn't beaten his guy. Janis' guy came over to assist late. Janis had beaten his guy deep as a decoy.

Reaction score
I've just tried searching online and for some reason it's surprisingly difficult for me to find the NFL helmet to helmet rule.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that helmet to helmet hits are not illegal on players who have become established runners.
What about players who are sliding to a stop on the ground? Don't get me wrong I'm old school but that hit was the epitome of why careers end. Im very very surprised he was able to walk off the field. I'm guessing runner or not, if that was Aaron Rodgers that would've started a riot with his O lineman
It's the worst Helmet hit I've seen this year from any game.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about players who are sliding to a stop on the ground? Don't get me wrong I'm old school but that hit was the epitome of why careers end. Im very very surprised he was able to walk off the field. I'm guessing runner or not, if that was Aaron Rodgers that would've started a riot with his O lineman
It's the worst Helmet hit I've seen this year from any game.

Players are protected if they slide feet first, but not head first. Don't remember how Cobb was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hadn't looked at Collins hit again until now, in my head I was thinking it was kind of a "cheap shot". But after further review, I don't think it was. Collins was coming in hard, but leading with his shoulder to make a tackle on Cobb who appears to be kind of falling awkwardly forward and getting his body positioned in such a way that exposed him to the hit. Brutal looking results, but it really does appear it was just a case of 2 bodies colliding at bad angles.

http://giphy.com/gifs/l0HlKe9omHSiARlT2/fullscreen

Members online

Latest posts