Get ready for another boring off-season...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and that probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course there are areas where this team needs to improve, at least in terms of depth. CB, TE, guard, and linebacker come to mind. But this team does not have any glaring weaknesses. And there is room for the young guys to improve, possibly enough to put the Packers over the top in 2008. The bigger question is whether vets like Favre, Clifton, Tauscher, Harris, and Woodson can continue to play at a high level. With the possible exception of Favre, none of them have backups who look ready to step in quickly.

Until this past off-season, the Patriots hadn't made a lot of moves in free agency. They kept most of their vets and brought in younger players who could be coached up to fit the scheme. That's what I'm expecting to see in Green Bay. If Thompson continues to bring in good young talent, the Packers should be fine.

A lot of people will point to the Patriots revamping their WR corps with trades and a free agent before this season, but this was the exception for them, and they did it only because their lack of receiving talent was such an obvious shortcoming for them in '06. Also, they had some luck, with Randy Moss becoming available for a low price and the Dolphins being stupid enough to trade Wes Welker (in their own division, for crying out loud!) for a second round pick.

Try as I might, I just can't see any trades or free agent acquisitions that would have such a big impact on the Packers next year. If some good opportunities come along, that's great and I hope Thompson takes advantage of them, but I think growing from within is still the model. It worked pretty well this past year.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there will be much dissent if no big moves are made this offseason. I really like the core guys we have, but we just need a little more depth at CB, Guard as well. I think we're good with depth at LB, especially if Hodge can come back from injury with more confidence and really step it up. What happened to that Bishop kid? He was a stud in preseason.

Anyways, I see more free agents taking a closer and more interested look at Green Bay, but I don't necessarily see us making any big deals. I was wrong last offseason thinking we needed to make a big move, so I'm just going to sit back this time and watch how it all turns out.

Reaction score
Interesting question you posed in general Greg, will Ted change his philosophy now that this team has experienced success?

If I'm not mistaken, Ted said that he had tried to go after some players last year (Raiders FB Griffith, WR Moss) but eventually those two players didn't want to come to Green Bay (or so the rumors go).

The year before, there were rumors that the Packers had offered K Adam Vinatieri a contract that would have made him the highest paid K in the NFL. A rumour none-the-less, but one that might hold some truth considering the Packers needed a K.

Ted's first off-season netted him Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett.

If you acknowledge that the rumors regarding Griffith, Moss, Vinatieri are true, and look at the signings of Woodson and Pickett, you could argue that Ted doesn't mind getting involved in the war to sign a big name guy.

With the Packers looking like an emerging team that has the talent and youth to contend for years, if Ted decides to go after some of the more marquee players this off-season (like G Alan Faneca), the players might be willing to take a little less in money for the chance to be a part of this quickly emerging team.

In which case, the off-season might not be as boring as most people (including myself) expect it to be.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
If I'm not mistaken, Ted said that he had tried to go after some players last year (Raiders FB Griffith, WR Moss) but eventually those two players didn't want to come to Green Bay (or so the rumors go).

The year before, there were rumors that the Packers had offered K Adam Vinatieri a contract that would have made him the highest paid K in the NFL. A rumour none-the-less, but one that might hold some truth considering the Packers needed a K.

Vinatieri was last year. We also showed interest in the guy who was considered the best OG in his FA class in Reggie Wells. Donnie Edwards was another guy rumored to be going to GB for quite awhile.

Arrington was another guy we targeted the year we signed Pickett and Woodson.

I expect TT will target some players like he has the past few years. Who that will be and who may sign I really have no idea. I could definitely see him going after an OG if one peaks his interest.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Interesting question you posed in general Greg, will Ted change his philosophy now that this team has experienced success?

Ted's first off-season netted him Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett.

If you acknowledge that the rumors regarding Griffith, Moss, Vinatieri are true, and look at the signings of Woodson and Pickett, you could argue that Ted doesn't mind getting involved in the war to sign a big name guy.

With the Packers looking like an emerging team that has the talent and youth to contend for years, if Ted decides to go after some of the more marquee players this off-season (like G Alan Faneca), the players might be willing to take a little less in money for the chance to be a part of this quickly emerging team.

In which case, the off-season might not be as boring as most people (including myself) expect it to be.

I think it's highly likely that players are going to want to come here. It's just whether or not the Packers feel they have pieces in place. I think they do. I don't look at linebacker as a glaring need. I think Poppinga played much better down the stretch. I think the Packers needs are basically a starting guard and team depth.

The Patriots took offence to losing to Indy last year. I think that's what motivated them to spend more. The Packers I think will have an off season that isn't as active as 06 in which you saw Pickett and Woodson but not as boring as last years in which we signed only Frank Walker. Though it's anyone's guess.

You know the #1 priority is probably to retian their own players. Guys like Corey Williams and Koren Robninson.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another boring(yet successful) offseason.

and another LOUD and RANTING offseason on the forum.

"WHY ISN'T CHEAPWAD SIGNING ____!?"
"DID WE REALLY JUST SIGN ______? WHO IS THAT!?"
"ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER NO-SIGN."
"KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, TIGHTWAD, ______ SIGNED WITH THE _____"

good times ahead.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I really don't know too much about Faneca, but would he really fit our zone blocking scheme?

Doesn't Pittsburg run more of a power, drive blocking system?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

good times ahead.
LOLOL!!! Good one Trom!!! :wink: :lol:
Hey....the nice thing is........they can just "copy and paste" what you wrote, and fill in the blanks!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg.. for the first time in a couple of seasons, I will be excited to hear news about the OTA, minicamps and we should be able to focus on key areas of need both in the draft and free agency.

I understand what you are saying about the offseason though, it is a hard part of the year between then end of the Superbowl and March. The weather up here isn't productive to spend outside and cabin fever sets in. Today was the first really long day of many weekends to come. Then the long haul between the Draft and training camp.

But I have already started looking at college players and have a decent idea of where we might focus the draft, based on precieved need only. I am sure the scouting department and personnel will surprise us along the way with a move or two no one seen comming.

But overall I am excited about this offseason, another productive one like last... and we will take another huge step to bringing the title home to Green Bay. Or least another good shot at it.

By the way.. pick a home project to do.. today I started to re-tile the bathroom and install a new shower bay. Ahh the dog days of winter suck.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg.. for the first time in a couple of seasons, I will be excited to hear news about the OTA, minicamps and we should be able to focus on key areas of need both in the draft and free agency.

I understand what you are saying about the offseason though, it is a hard part of the year between then end of the Superbowl and March. The weather up here isn't productive to spend outside and cabin fever sets in. Today was the first really long day of many weekends to come. Then the long haul between the Draft and training camp.

But I have already started looking at college players and have a decent idea of where we might focus the draft, based on precieved need only. I am sure the scouting department and personnel will surprise us along the way with a move or two no one seen comming.

But overall I am excited about this offseason, another productive one like last... and we will take another huge step to bringing the title home to Green Bay. Or least another good shot at it.

By the way.. pick a home project to do.. today I started to re-tile the bathroom and install a new shower bay. Ahh the dog days of winter suck.

Thanks for your response, Pack93z. My thread title was tongue-in-cheek, of course. With the Packers coming off such a solid season (one of only two NFL teams to be in the top four during both the regular season and the playoffs), it will be an interesting off-season even if there aren't a lot of moves.

I don't follow college football very closely, so now I will be reliant on other forum members such as yourself to let me know which players might be good draft picks.

Meanwhile, I have some painting to do in my house, which I plan to do at a leisurely pace on these upcoming winter weekends. Tomorrow morning I'm going snowshoeing with a friend along the Little Garlic River.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score

good times ahead.

I've liked TT for the last couple years. But every year there is always a time in FA, where I am just begging for a signing. Any signing!!!

Then when we finally signed someone last year it was FRANK WALKER!

I think a lot it has to do with fans getting antsy with no football to watch.

After the SB, we need to have an official "If I were TT thread..." Where posters can post only their dream offseason plans and no other comments.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

good times ahead.

I've liked TT for the last couple years. But every year there is always a time in FA, where I am just begging for a signing. Any signing!!!

After the SB, we need to have an official "If I were TT thread..." Where posters can post only their dream offseason plans and no other comments.
GREAT idea millertime!
I think you hit the nail right on the head!!! Fans get antsy, and figure because they don't SEE whats going on at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, that means nothing is happening.
I bet they are right now looking over what their possible moves might be in the draft, who might be a FA, and so on. But we don't see whats going on behind closed doors, so some get impatient.
I guess i have a little more patience then some, as it doesn't bother me. Although when they picked Harrell i was in my car going "WHO!?!?!?"LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying as hard as I can to divert my energy from the Packers to the Twins, like i do every year. It's a hard start, especially with all the Johan hype. BUT, Mauer, Cuddyer, Morneu are locked up. And Delmon Young is a hot young player. Things are looking ok. Francisco Liriano is coming back, and he'll win Cy Young this year.

Twins in '08! 173-0 World Series!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I'm trying as hard as I can to divert my energy from the Packers to the Twins, like i do every year. It's a hard start, especially with all the Johan hype. BUT, Mauer, Cuddyer, Morneu are locked up. And Delmon Young is a hot young player. Things are looking ok. Francisco Liriano is coming back, and he'll win Cy Young this year.

Twins in '08! 173-0 World Series!
Nah!!! The Brewers will beat the "Twinkies" at least once, so they will be 172-1.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was an unhappy camper with my Brewer-fan-friends TWICE at the Metrodome last year!

Game 1
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

and Game 2

Notice I'm MUCH grumpier in the second pic. Damn Twins, they broke my heart.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I was an unhappy camper with my Brewer-fan-friends TWICE at the Metrodome last year!

Game 1

and Game 2

Notice I'm MUCH grumpier in the second pic. Damn Twins, they broke my heart.
I don't see any pictures. Just red "X's".

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, those red x's are me! anyways, i don't now why they don't show up. i see them on my computer. Maybe someone could help me figure out how to get them to show up, if anybody really cares to see these pics

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
yeah, those red x's are me! anyways, i don't now why they don't show up. i see them on my computer. Maybe someone could help me figure out how to get them to show up, if anybody really cares to see these pics
Now.....that i don't know how to fix. I never had that happen, and i'm not exactly a puter wizz.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I could see quite a few "If I were TT threads" coming up. I'll start with saying we need depth and I pretty much agree with what Greg C said. It would be cool to pick up some kind of defensive playmaker, if one is out there. Or maybe Bigby will develop into one. He keeps showing signs of it. Maybe in one or two years, we'll see Bigby develop into one.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is plenty to keep one-self entertained during the NFL Off Season.

MARCH MADNESS. I can not wait to have my bracket pinned to the wall, and take my Thursday and Friday off of work the first week.

Trip to Spring Training. Tempe AZ and the quaint Diablo Stadium.

THE MASTERS! It does not get any better than that.

Then of course mix in The Stanley Cup Playoffs. Go Canucks Go!

Moving right on to the NFL Draft... That is not a day of interest it is a full two week build up, reading, searching, guessing, questioning, and it is all passionate.

July and August... Fishing.

Life is great.