Future of the O-Line

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I thought we were talking about your opinion. Of course we don't have a say in what the coaches decision is, that's a given.

Well in that case I'd trust the talent evaluators on the team to decide whether Spriggs was capable of stepping into the starting lineup

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of us don't like to hear them, but for someone in Spriggs' situation, that's a pretty good one. Do we get to say 'no excuses' for Bak if he has trouble with an All-pro defender?

No excuse for Bak either, but he has been pretty darn good lately, when healthy.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Khalil Mack is one of the best edge rushers in the league. Spriggs struggling against him at this stage of his career shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.

The knock on Spriggs in the draft reviews, was that his compete level could be higher. Spriggs has a tendency to mail it in, (lose interest) or give up on plays. I hope he can improve in these areas. We really do need another good LT.

H

HardRightEdge

I took a second look at Spriggs pass blocking against Mack in the first half, and a first look at the second half.

I observed earlier in the game thread that I didn't understand why Spriggs was taking a 3-point stance on passing downs, especially against a guy like Mack. Upon further review, thanks to one replay from an end zone view, Spriggs was in a 2-point stance on at least one play and probably more if not all passing downs. At the same he wasn't taking that 1/2 step deeper set typical of LTs.

From the standard sideline shot when the Packers were moving left to right his 2-point and 3-point sets were indistinguishable.

This may be the first instance in the McCarthy era where an O-Lineman played with too low of a pad level. That's a lot of travel for a 6'6" guy to get in proper position with good balance especially against a guy with elite burst. The inclination is to stand up, going from too low to too high, getting off balance, losing fluidity and being unable to deliver a good punch. Besides Mack, it can also make lesser players look better than they are.

Perhaps this is some kind of overcompensation for being coached away from too high a pad level, but it's something that requires adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No excuse for Bak either, but he has been pretty darn good lately, when healthy.

No argument. The post that started this implied that the level of competition (in this case, for Spriggs) couldn't be used as an excuse/reason/explanation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lt is much harder to replace than guards. That should be the logic imo.

If Spriggs proves to be a decent left tackle the Packers already have Bakhtiari's replacement on the roster.

Tretter probably could play guard but he'd need to bulk up a little, get to around 315 which is where MM likes his OLs to be now adays. Of course maybe he's not enough of a savage to play that position, kinda like Darryn Colledge.

Colledge started 137 games at guard during his career.

I'm starting to feel better about the future of our OL now with these young guys we have coming up.

I'm feeling better about the offensive line entering this season but am worried about the future with Bakhtiari, Sitton, Lang and Tretter headed towards free agency in 2017.

Thats a groovy answer, I can dig it. What did you think of Murphy at RT?

Murphy played pretty well, especially considering he missed the first two weeks of training camp.

The knock on Spriggs in the draft reviews, was that his compete level could be higher. Spriggs has a tendency to mail it in, (lose interest) or give up on plays. I hope he can improve in these areas. We really do need another good LT.

I can't remember any experts questioning Spriggs' motors before this year's draft.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREEN BAY –" Just six days after Jason Spriggs looked every bit the part of an outstanding young tackle against Cleveland he wasn’t even the Green Bay Packers’ best rookie tackle Thursday night in their 20-12 victory over the Oakland Raiders at Lambeau Field.

Instead, that would be Kyle Murphy, who by subjective judgment had only two minus plays in 36 snaps at right tackle while Spriggs had 12 in 51 on the left side.

Spriggs’ performance level actually dipped markedly in the fourth quarter of the Browns game, which was surprising because almost all those defenders won’t be in the league.

Now, with the warts in his game that surfaced against Oakland, it’s clear Spriggs will need considerable development before the Packers can be confident he could be a reliable starter at either tackle this season"

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm praying for an early 5year 44million deal for Bak. If they dont resign him early he'll fetch above 9million for sure.

And myself and others hope Spriggs continues to progress exactly because we would prefer not to pay 9+ million per year for a slightly better then average LT

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would need to progress massive amounts in little time or rushers like Mack will be running down Rodgers from his blindside!

LT isn't a position you can just plug in a man and hope for the best. I hope Spriggs becomes a better tackle than Bak. But that will take time. Good LT are like needles in a haystack. Very difficult to find!

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody know when Matt Rotheram is going to be healthy? I didnt even hear of him being injured. It would be a shame if he misses this preseason then misses the 53 cut. Early signs showed this guy has talent.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would need to progress massive amounts in little time or rushers like Mack will be running down Rodgers from his blindside!

LT isn't a position you can just plug in a man and hope for the best. I hope Spriggs becomes a better tackle than Bak. But that will take time. Good LT are like needles in a haystack. Very difficult to find!

There's an ENTIRE season plus another offseason for him to progress. It's not like we're arguing for Spriggs to start over Bakhtiari this season. They have a whole season to groom and evaluate him. It's not at all a plug and play while hoping for the best scenerio which is what your implying it would be.

And your right. Good LTs are hard to find. And that's why the PACKERS traded UP for one high in the draft to nab Spriggs. To hopefully finally have a good one and not have to pay through the nose for one who's a little better then average who while a solid LT is not so good that it would be shocking in the least for Spriggs to be better then come his second season.

In fact I'll go as far to say if Spriggs, going into year two, isn't better then Bakhtiari is right now then they most likely made a pretty big mistake in trading up to select him in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's an ENTIRE season plus another offseason for him to progress. It's not like we're arguing for Spriggs to start over Bakhtiari this season. They have a whole season to groom and evaluate him. It's not at all a plug and play while hoping for the best scenerio which is what your implying it would be.

And your right. Good LTs are hard to find. And that's why the PACKERS traded UP for one high in the draft to nab Spriggs. To hopefully finally have a good one and not have to pay through the nose for one who's a little better then average
Draft status means nothing. How many teams drafted LT with first pick and still missed. Hey I like Spriggs also. He was fun to watch blocking for Jordan Howard and Nate Sudfield. And should be a fine Tackle in a year or 2. But I do believe Bak is much better than average. Did you not watch his rookie season when he replaced Bulaga for the year? He was thrown to the wolves and has steadily improved since.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft status means nothing. How many teams drafted LT with first pick and still missed. Hey I like Spriggs also. He was fun to watch blocking for Jordan Howard and Nate Sudfield. And should be a fine Tackle in a year or 2. But I do believe Bak is much better than average. Did you not watch his rookie season when he replaced Bulaga for the year? He was thrown to the wolves and has steadily improved since.

Yes he was steady and has progressed slightly. That puts him at a slightly better then solid player playing a position that commands a premium price in FA. He isnt a great LT by any stretch and not nearly as irreplaceable as is being played up.

If there was no such thing as a hard cap then sure I'd be all for paying a premium price, cause hell it isn't my money, simply to ensure depth but that isnt the NFL world we live in. In that world if the high second round pick that you traded up for to select looks the part, can step in to play the position on a rookie deal with little to no drop off while still having significant potential to improve then no you don't spend top dollar, at a premium position, on a player that in a best case scenerio world is simply described as just good. (Even though I'd describe Bakhtiari as solid)

There are infinitely better ways to spend that cap space when a replacement is in place. If Spriggs doesn't look good to the coaches after his rookie season, (I say that cause hoping for zero injuries), then yes they should bring Bakhtiari back. That isn't what your arguing though. Your arguing that no matter what they should bring him back. A stance I completely disagree with

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm praying for an early 5year 44million deal for Bak. If they dont resign him early he'll fetch above 9million for sure.

Thompson traded up in the second round to select Spriggs expecting he will be the starter at left tackle in 2017. The idea of that move for sure wasn't to have him sit on the bench for all of his rookie contract.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Spriggs proves to be a decent left tackle the Packers already have Bakhtiari's replacement on the roster.

This logic is flawed. Just because we drafted a player who we are confident will develope into a above average player at lt. Doesnt mean you start a whole rebuild.

You ever wonder why other teams lose a top tier tackle and never seem to miss a beat????? I do. All the damn time. Every year i do.
My conclusion is that we dont put enough weight in our oline depth. And in the past, dline depth either....

Other teams. Especially with premiere qbs! Always have depth...our depth is a lame barclay. Under sized young tretter. And a couple practice squad guys... Vikes lose their all pro rt last year and dominate still..... All the time. Always the same.

So now we actually develope a lt from scratch, and you want to let him walk at 25? Why, because we found another project player?!?!

And no plan for backup except draft some mid rounders mext year....

Boooooooooo!

D

Deleted member 6794

Vikes lose their all pro rt last year and dominate still..... All the time. Always the same.

This actually proves my point as the Vikings replaced Phil Loadholt with T.J. Clemmings, who happened to be a rookie fourth round draft pick.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
captainWIMM said:

Eli said: This logic is flawed. Just because we drafted a player who we are confident will develope into a above average player at lt. Doesnt mean you start a whole rebuild.

Half Empty says: Huh? The logic was IF Spriggs can play, he replaces Bak, not the level of confidence in that happening. And, whether or not anything happens at LT, how does one leap to a 'whole rebuild'?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are infinitely better ways to spend that cap space when a replacement is in place. If Spriggs doesn't look good to the coaches after his rookie season, (I say that cause hoping for zero injuries), then yes they should bring Bakhtiari back. That isn't what your arguing though. Your arguing that no matter what they should bring him back. A stance I completely disagree with

I don't think there are infinitely better ways to spend cap space than to protect Rodgers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This logic is flawed. Just because we drafted a player who we are confident will develope into a above average player at lt. Doesnt mean you start a whole rebuild.

You ever wonder why other teams lose a top tier tackle and never seem to miss a beat????? I do. All the damn time. Every year i do.
My conclusion is that we dont put enough weight in our oline depth. And in the past, dline depth either....

Other teams. Especially with premiere qbs! Always have depth...our depth is a lame barclay. Under sized young tretter. And a couple practice squad guys... Vikes lose their all pro rt last year and dominate still..... All the time. Always the same.

So now we actually develope a lt from scratch, and you want to let him walk at 25? Why, because we found another project player?!?!

And no plan for backup except draft some mid rounders mext year....

Boooooooooo!
My oh my! With such an awful situation, will we ever win another game??? I just hate being mired at the bottom of the heap all the time. We're completely woeful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts