Future of the O-Line

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many lts were drafted from the two years before clifton retired. And up through til now? Because imo, we have been looking for our future corner stone that long, and bahk has been the only one worth a crap.

While Bakhtiari is solid and we did have to wait through some bad ones to get to him I wouldn't call Bakhtiari a cornerstone LT and as such wouldn't pay top dollar to resign just a solid player "if" the guy waiting in the wings looks like he could be just as good.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Bakhtiari is solid and we did have to wait through some bad ones to get to him I wouldn't call Bakhtiari a cornerstone LT and as such wouldn't pay top dollar to resign just a solid player "if" the guy waiting in the wings looks like he could be just as good.
Where would you rank Bak in the LT category? Because you've said he is solid and adequate and that a rookie who you've only see play at the NFL level in preseason could be as good. It sounds you have Bak in the bottom 10 LTs when he is a top 10 LT.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where would you rank Bak in the LT category? Because you've said he is solid and adequate and that a rookie who you've only see play at the NFL level in preseason could be as good. It sounds you have Bak in the bottom 10 LTs when he is a top 10 LT.

In the area of 12-15 most likely. Definitely NOT top 10. Just above average. People need to stop acting like he's some irreplaceable cornerstone LT.

Yes. Spriggs "potentially" can be as good as Bakhtiari as soon as next season. That's not a guarantee but acting like it's far fetched is overrating Bakhtiari.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the area of 12-15 most likely. Definitely NOT top 10. Just above average. People need to stop acting like he's some irreplaceable cornerstone LT.

Yes. Spriggs "potentially" can be as good as Bakhtiari as soon as next season. That's not a guarantee but acting like it's far fetched is overrating Bakhtiari.
In the words of Cinderella...You Don't Know What You Got, Till It's Gone.

D

Deleted member 6794

How many lts were drafted from the two years before clifton retired. And up through til now? Because imo, we have been looking for our future corner stone that long, and bahk has been the only one worth a crap.

The Packers drafted two offensive tackles in the two years before Clifton retired in Bulaga (who's still starting for the team) and Sherrod (whose career was cut short by a terrible injury). I have no idea which busts you're referring to.

I would really be interested in your plan on how the Packers should manage the limited cap space available next offseason.

It seems you want Bakhtiari, Lacy and Hyde back at all costs. With the numbers being tossed around that would likely leave the Packers with around $15 million of cap space. The team will have to use approximately $7-9 million of that to sign the 2017 draft class, account for players #52 and #53 on the roster, assemble a practice squad and save some cap space for players replacing guys being put on IR.

That leaves the Packers with $6-8 million to spend. In this case I would be curious about how you plan to address the outside linebacker position where currently only Matthews and Fackrell are under contract for the 2017 season as well as both guard spots with Sitton and Lang gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merrideth, newhouse, datko... We could also easily consider the sitton, lang, sherrod picks as failed lt prospects...

Fact is none of them came close to being a starting lt except bahk.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers drafted two offensive tackles in the two years before Clifton retired in Bulaga (who's still starting for the team) and Sherrod (whose career was cut short by a terrible injury). I have no idea which busts you're referring to.

I would really be interested in your plan on how the Packers should manage the limited cap space available next offseason.

It seems you want Bakhtiari, Lacy and Hyde back at all costs. With the numbers being tossed around that would likely leave the Packers with around $15 million of cap space. The team will have to use approximately $7-9 million of that to sign the 2017 draft class, account for players #52 and #53 on the roster, assemble a practice squad and save some cap space for players replacing guys being put on IR.

That leaves the Packers with $6-8 million to spend. In this case I would be curious about how you plan to address the outside linebacker position where currently only Matthews and Fackrell are under contract for the 2017 season as well as both guard spots with Sitton and Lang gone.
It's going to be fun watching it all shake out. McGinn thinks a trade or two is possible. I find the uncertainty, speculation and intrigue very appealing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Merrideth, newhouse, datko... We could also easily consider the sitton, lang, sherrod picks as failed lt prospects...

Newhouse amazingly enough has actually played a fair amount of LT if I remember correctly. We have a history of our castoffs playing elsewhere for a fair amount of time.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be fun watching it all shake out. McGinn thinks a trade or two is possible. I find the uncertainty, speculation and intrigue very appealing.
Guards are easier to find replacments. Get a big lt and convert him. Done deal.... Now replacing a lt? That seems to be a problem for us.

Thats my point. I feel 100x better with solid tackles and center, with a pair of rookie guards, than i do with a new lt and guard. Thats a recipe for rodgers to decide to retire early...

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Show me the quote where i said bring back Lacy at all costs. I've actually said i believe Lacy is going to have a great season and price himself out of GreenBay. Ive said the priority in my opinion is Hyde. And I would like for Bak to resign so we have a proven LT to protect Rodgers next year. I also said I hope they resign Bak early to a contract between 8-9 Mil, which sone disagree with and others don't.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guards are easier to find replacments. Get a big lt and convert him. Done deal.... Now replacing a lt? That seems to be a problem for us.

Thats my point. I feel 100x better with solid tackles and center, with a pair of rookie guards, than i do with a new lt and guard. Thats a recipe for rodgers to decide to retire early...

And the coaches will have an entire year with Spriggs in the system to come to a conclusion on whether he's capable of replacing Bakhtiari.

The point of contention is that some people want to pay top Bakhtiari top dollar no matter what the conclusion the coaches come to on Spriggs is.

This isn't a situation were they'd be going into a season with an unknown at LT, if they feel Spriggs is the real deal, but rather were they've have a year to look at a guy in their system and feel he's good enough to play.

Nobody is saying if Spriggs is bad then don't resign Bakhtiari. But there are people arguing it doesn't matter how good Spriggs looks and that they have to resign Bakhtiari. Why people arguing for the latter is a little befuddling when we have so many other guys in line for FA and that cap space could be spent elsewhere

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And how many of them were expected to be? I can't find anything on Meredith, but IIRC, he was a 5th rounder. Newhouse was a 5th. Datko was a 7th, admittedly a boom-or-bust pick from the get-go. It's been a while, so I can't confirm, but I don't remember Sitton or Lang ever being projected at LT. Sherrod certainly was never the factor at tackly that he was drafted to be, but given the injury, one might question his mental state after being cleared to play. Not a whole lot of busts there unless, as always, you define bust differently than most, which I believe is a player who doesn't come close to producing up to expectations.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how many of them were expected to be? I can't find anything on Meredith, but IIRC, he was a 5th rounder. Newhouse was a 5th. Datko was a 7th, admittedly a boom-or-bust pick from the get-go. It's been a while, so I can't confirm, but I don't remember Sitton or Lang ever being projected at LT. Sherrod certainly was never the factor at tackly that he was drafted to be, but given the injury, one might question his mental state after being cleared to play. Not a whole lot of busts there unless, as always, you define bust differently than most, which I believe is a player who doesn't come close to producing up to expectations.
Sitton and lang were both lt in school.

And i consider a bust, someone who isnt on the team after a couple seasons...
Newhouse amazingly enough has actually played a fair amount of LT if I remember correctly. We have a history of our castoffs playing elsewhere for a fair amount of time.
I keep seeing giacomini around too.
Maybe we should stop letting our lts that we groomed for 3 year, leave after their rookie deals...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe we should stop letting our lts that we groomed for 3 year, leave after their rookie deals...

Gaicomini wasn't groomed for 3 years and not resigned. He wasn't good enough to make the team in 2010 and the Seahawks signed him off our practice squad.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gaicomini wasn't groomed for 3 years and not resigned. He wasn't good enough to make the team in 2010 and the Seahawks signed him off our practice squad.
He was on the team for a couple years at least. I seen merideth on other teams too.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

The Packers seldom draft guys that played guard their senior year in college. The college guards are usually coming here as UDFA's. We tend to draft tackles and move them to guard. I suspect the reasoning is that LT's tend to be the most athletic guy on the o-line.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He was on the team for a couple years at least. I seen merideth on other teams too.
Yep, either the scouts or Campen or both is finding/developing these guys. Someone in the org deserves credit. I bet we are top 5 in producing players around the league.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers seldom draft guys that played guard their senior year in college. The college guards are usually coming here as UDFA's. We tend to draft tackles and move them to guard. I suspect the reasoning is that LT's tend to be the most athletic guy on the o-line.
That trend started after the giants lines destroyed us in the icebowl part 2. Went from 300 pound olinemen like college, to 315ish lts who are just a tad to slow to excell at the position in the nfl.
But the lt position we are developing, still seems to be 305 pounders who need to develope some strength yet... Bahk has grown into the lt we have been looking for imo.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse, Giocomini, and Merideth are all names I would not be happy to see back in GB, even as a back up. I'd rather give an unknown a shot

D

Deleted member 6794

Newhouse has mostly played right tackle since leaving Green Bay and has been terrible at it. Mostly the Packers castoffs aren´t productive with other teams.

Show me the quote where i said bring back Lacy at all costs. I've actually said i believe Lacy is going to have a great season and price himself out of GreenBay. Ive said the priority in my opinion is Hyde. And I would like for Bak to resign so we have a proven LT to protect Rodgers next year. I also said I hope they resign Bak early to a contract between 8-9 Mil, which sone disagree with and others don't.

Well, you disagreed with several of my posts suggesting the Packers should be extremely reluctant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long-term contract so I assumed you want to bring him back at all costs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Newhouse has mostly played right tackle since leaving Green Bay and has been terrible at it. Mostly the Packers castoffs aren´t productive with other teams.
Looks like mgmt made the correct decision in releasing them then. Goes to show I guess that other teams are having a difficult time identifying and developing their own offensive linemen.

Members online

Latest posts