Future of the O-Line

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im Curious to what others think of the offensive line after this season? With Bak,Sitton,Lang and Tretter all being free agents its hard not to wonder what will happen to these guys. Despite what some people think Bak is not garbage. He is the unsung hero of the Oline. He was thrust into the LT position his rookie season as a 4th round pick after former 1st round pick Bulaga blew out his knee. He did a fine job his rookie year and has locked down that LT spot since then. He is still young, 25 I believe. But he is going to see some big numbers from other teams I predict, which might be what management thinks also since they moved up to draft Spriggs. Some have said they dont see the packers being able to bring back both Sitton and Lang and resign other key players. I agree and believe it will be 1 or the other. Tretter is a player that is quietly valuable for a team. He can play all 5 spots. I see the packers resigning him to fill whatever guard spot thats open. What does everyone else have to say about our 4 linemen heading to free agency? Also any idea when we will get our first look at Tyler Murphy?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident we'll be losing at least one of our starters, and I am going to guess that 2 of them will not be returning next year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been brought up but if Spiggs keeps looking the part at LT we let Bakhtiari walk most likely and resign with Lang or Sitton.

Next year's line:

LT: Spriggs
LG: Lang (cheaper then Sitton most likely)
C: Lynsley
RG: Taylor (gotta believe the FO gave him his contract with this in mind)
RT: Bulaga

Tretter is a wild card but I'd expect him to be offered starting center money from some team next season but could "possibly" see us trying to retain him on a discount even though I don't feel that's likely. Sorry though. He's not a guard and shouldn't be retained if the hope is he can fill the vacated guard spot. His value is either as a starting/backup Center or a backup swing Tackle. But not at Guard

Really the Spiggs pick takes much of the worry away from me when it comes to next year's line as we won't have to worry about paying Bakhtiari the LT money he'll comand and I've figured this is the final year for our guard tandem for a while now. Probably will need to add another draft pick on the Oline for depth next year but all in all we're in solid shape heading forward and will welcome the 3 comp picks we get in 2 years

D

Deleted member 6794

Im Curious to what others think of the offensive line after this season? With Bak,Sitton,Lang and Tretter all being free agents its hard not to wonder what will happen to these guys. Despite what some people think Bak is not garbage. He is the unsung hero of the Oline. He was thrust into the LT position his rookie season as a 4th round pick after former 1st round pick Bulaga blew out his knee. He did a fine job his rookie year and has locked down that LT spot since then. He is still young, 25 I believe. But he is going to see some big numbers from other teams I predict, which might be what management thinks also since they moved up to draft Spriggs. Some have said they dont see the packers being able to bring back both Sitton and Lang and resign other key players. I agree and believe it will be 1 or the other. Tretter is a player that is quietly valuable for a team. He can play all 5 spots. I see the packers resigning him to fill whatever guard spot thats open. What does everyone else have to say about our 4 linemen heading to free agency? Also any idea when we will get our first look at Tyler Murphy?

Bakhtiari is a decent left tackle who excels in pass protection but struggles blocking for the run. But as has been mentioned before if Spriggs proves to be an adequate replacement I would be fine with the Packers letting him walk away in free agency next offseason.

The team most likely won't have the cap space to re-sign both Sitton and Lang. I guess the front office will go with Lang as he's younger and doesn't suffer from chronic back issues.

I agree with RRyder that Tretter isn't a fit to play guard and another team will most likely offer him more money than the Packers to start at center.

Kyle Murphy returned to practice on Monday so it's possible he plays tomorrow vs. the Raiders.

Next year's line:

LT: Spriggs
LG: Lang (cheaper then Sitton most likely)
C: Lynsley
RG: Taylor (gotta believe the FO gave him his contract with this in mind)
RT: Bulaga

Taylor might be a decent backup but I don't want him to be the starter entering the 2017 season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter is gone; he'll get more money and a chance to start elsewhere. I would think Bak would be next in line with what he'll demand / be offered elsewhere. If Spriggs can convince the coaches that he'll be a more than adequate replacement next season, I doubt Bak will even get an offer here.
Depending on a number of factors- health, what happens with the rest of the roster- I can see the team keeping both Sitton and Lang.

D

Deleted member 6794

Depending on a number of factors- health, what happens with the rest of the roster- I can see the team keeping both Sitton and Lang.

With only two outside linebackers in Matthews and Fackrell under contract for 2017 I expect Thompson to use most of the available cap space on that position. Therefore I don't see Sitton and Lang re-signing with the Packers.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With only two outside linebackers in Matthews and Fackrell under contract for 2017 I expect Thompson to use most of the available cap space on that position. Therefore I don't see Sitton and Lang re-signing with the Packers.

You see what the situation is at the time, you prioritize. They can keep both if they choose to; needing OLB's or not.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may end up Lacy, Bak, and Hyde all end up with offers too big for the Packers to match. I can see both Lang and Sitton resigning if that happens. I'm hoping they can keep Hyde and Lang best case scenario with Tretter also brought back to backup our tackles. Spriggs will be a capable left tackle when he puts on some weight to help neutralize bull rushers. But no reason why Spriggs couldnt jump in at LT this season and fare just as well as Bak his rookie season.

D

Deleted member 6794

You see what the situation is at the time, you prioritize. They can keep both if they choose to; needing OLB's or not.

The Packers will have enough cap space to re-sign both Sitton and Lang next offseason but that would result in the team not being able to spend that money at outside linebacker. In my opinion it's more important to either re-sign some of the team's own or bring in veteran edge rushers than keeping both guards.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have enough cap space to re-sign both Sitton and Lang next offseason but that would result in the team not being able to spend that money at outside linebacker. In my opinion it's more important to either re-sign some of the team's own or bring in veteran edge rushers than keeping both guards.
The OLB position has 3 free agents next year correct? I believe they are Peppers,Perry, and Datone Jones. Just my guess but Peppers retires after we will the SuperBowl this season. Then we resign whoever has the better season between Perry and Jones.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think guards are easier to replace. Especially with good tackles and center. You have to have a good 3rd tackle!!! When one goes down the last few years, the whole offense had to change. And rodgers got pounded....
I think we keep bahk, and let the guards go. Draft some bruisers next year. Tretter is good. He should be strongly consideredm as insurance for both center and tackle spots...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think guards are easier to replace. Especially with good tackles and center. You have to have a good 3rd tackle!!! When one goes down the last few years, the whole offense had to change. And rodgers got pounded....
I think we keep bahk, and let the guards go. Draft some bruisers next year. Tretter is good. He should be strongly consideredm as insurance for both center and tackle spots...

The thing though is you don't pay 9 million a year to have that third Tackle if you don't have too. Bakhtiari is gone if Spiggs keeps looking good and we can just welcome a 4th round comp pick in two years

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing though is you don't pay 9 million a year to have that third Tackle if you don't have too. Bakhtiari is gone if Spiggs keeps looking good and we can just welcome a 4th round comp pick in two years
How about we sign bahk and figure out if we still want 3 ots in 4 years from now. Til then we can be comfortable at lt for the first time in a decade plus...

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody really talks about him, but Matt Rotheram is a young guard that should make the 53. I dont see why he wouldn't? I would rather see him on the roster before Josh Walker. Wasn't that Walker playing RT most the 2nd half vs Cleveland?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting a young and solid left tackle go is risky. It's possible Bahk is resigned and either him or Spriggs slides inside to guard. We know the Packers aren't afraid to shift around lineman in order to get the best five on the field and it would offer a good insurance policy as a tackle back up.

Thompson also very rarely lets good players walk after a rookie deal. I can't remember any other than Hayward, who was surpassed by better rookies. With many guys to resign next off season though, it could be an exception to his normal.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bak will see some big numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a 5yr 40+mil type deal because he's still young. No way the Packers can pay that amount and still resign other key players. Spriggs may have to start at LT next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

The OLB position has 3 free agents next year correct? I believe they are Peppers,Perry, and Datone Jones. Just my guess but Peppers retires after we will the SuperBowl this season. Then we resign whoever has the better season between Perry and Jones.

If Spriggs proves to be an adequate replacement for Bakhtiari it makes a lot of sense going with the cheaper player and draft another backup tackle. Kyle Murphy might turn into a decent third option at the position.

Nobody really talks about him, but Matt Rotheram is a young guard that should make the 53. I dont see why he wouldn't? I would rather see him on the roster before Josh Walker. Wasn't that Walker playing RT most the 2nd half vs Cleveland?

I expected Rotheram to compete for a roster spot as well but according to repirts he hasn't been able to impress so far in camp. You're correct about Walker playing right tackle for most of the Browns game.

It's possible Bahk is resigned and either him or Spriggs slides inside to guard.

I'd rather have the Packers re-sign Sitton or Lang than move Bakhtiari to guard while paying him like a left tackle.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we sign bahk and figure out if we still want 3 ots in 4 years from now. Til then we can be comfortable at lt for the first time in a decade plus...

No. You don't pay a guy north of 9 million a year for depth purposes.

And it's not about whether they want 3 quality Tackles. OF freaking course they do. It's whether they can afford it if they don't have to and with the number of guys set to hit the market hell no they can't

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. You don't pay a guy north of 9 million a year for depth purposes.

And it's not about whether they want 3 quality Tackles. OF freaking course they do. It's whether they can afford it if they don't have to and with the number of guys set to hit the market hell no they can't
You act like Bahk is going to be a back up?!?! 9 mil a year is for a starting veteran lt. What ever we pay spriggs the next 4 years is for the depth...

Right?

D

Deleted member 6794

You act like Bahk is going to be a back up?!?! 9 mil a year is for a starting veteran lt. What ever we pay spriggs the next 4 years is for the depth...

If Spriggs is capable of adequately replacing Bakhtiari there's no reason to pay the starter $9 million a year as the difference in performance doesn't justify spending that kind of money.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Spriggs proves to be an adequate replacement for Bakhtiari it makes a lot of sense going with the cheaper player and draft another backup tackle. Kyle Murphy might turn into a decent third option at the position.

I expected Rotheram to compete for a roster spot as well but according to repirts he hasn't been able to impress so far in camp. You're correct about Walker playing right tackle for most of the Browns game.

I'd rather have the Packers re-sign Sitton or Lang than move Bakhtiari to guard while paying him like a left tackle.

Bak recently made it clear that he is a LT, period, and will not consider playing another position.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Right?

If you pay Bakhtiari when you have a more then adequate replacement just simply then to have Spriggs as the backup then yes you're paying to have the luxury no matter whos starting.

That 9 million can and should be spent in MUCH better places than ensuring that the Packers have depth on the Oline. That's what the draft is for.

Paying 9+ million to a player when you have a younger, cheaper and "possibly" better player waiting in the wings is NOT a good idea just to ensure depth

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how any of you can take the quality of the online players so lightly. We have the best QB in the league and he needs good protection. This discount journeymen players you mention don't do it for me. I say sign BAK. Bulaga will get hurt, he always gets hurt. We need a quality backup.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how any of you can take the quality of the online players so lightly. We have the best QB in the league and he needs good protection. This discount journeymen players you mention don't do it for me. I say sign BAK. Bulaga will get hurt, he always gets hurt. We need a quality backup.

So pay 9 million to ensure you have a backup? That's what the draft is for.

No one is discounting the importance of the position. It's why many of us loved the Spriggs pick. Because now you don't have to worry about a dropoff for not wanting to spend big bucks to retain Bakhtiari.

Having 3 starting caliber Tackles is an extreme luxury that the Packers, or any other team of that matter, can afford to have if it can be avoided

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs hasn't even played a regular season game yet. How do you even know he can do the job? I don't believe the line is a place to be chintzy. Especially with Rodgers now in his thirties.

Do you want to rely on Bulaga staying healthy? You guys seem to forget what happened when he got hurt. Bad news, is what happened. Rodgers getting creamed is what happened. The same could be said when Bak got hurt. The packers had to double team the DE on that side and Rodgers still was getting chased in about one second.

Members online

Latest posts