Future of the O-Line

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there are infinitely better ways to spend cap space than to protect Rodgers.
Exactly! I just now finally got confidence in out lt for the first time since clifton! Now if "if spriggs adequately fill the position" .
All i hear is if.... And adequately. Which to me translates to barely... And we dont know if he is injury prone yet.....

And what do you call a new lt. One of the guards gone assumed. And the top nack up most likely getting a starting job elsewhere... And taylor who is a bandaid. ..... Because i call it a rebuild of the oline.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think there are infinitely better ways to spend cap space than to protect Rodgers.

There's no reason to spend an additional $8+ million of cap space if there's a replacement on the roster capable of performing on the same level though.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly! I just now finally got confidence in out lt for the first time since clifton! Now if "if spriggs adequately fill the position" .
All i hear is if.... And adequately. Which to me translates to barely... And we dont know if he is injury prone yet.....

And what do you call a new lt. One of the guards gone assumed. And the top nack up most likely getting a starting job elsewhere... And taylor who is a bandaid. ..... Because i call it a rebuild of the oline.

Well then why pay Bakhtiari 9+ a year? He's just an adequate LT. People need to stop acting like he's Joe Thomas

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Binary thinking is always a problem on message boards so I shouldn't be shocked but the options are NOT simply resign Bakhtiari at 9+ a year or have Rodgers running for his life with zero depth.... Just sayin

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then why pay Bakhtiari 9+ a year? He's just an adequate LT. People need to stop acting like he's Joe Thomas
I think he has been an adequate lt... As a rookie thrown to the wolves he was adequate , which was great in a way... Year 2 he was good. The whole oline was very solid that year. Which is why i am a bit suprised lindsley got benched. But back to bahk. Year 3 he was hurt and under whelming... This year i suspect he will catch stride, and put all those early lessons to work...

I always say the oline and dlinemen need a hand full of years to become dominant... Bahk is there and spriggs is just starting the journey.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BahkT was hurt last year, so I'm giving him this year to prove it, but he needs to be better than he was. To me, he's never been strong enough and it results in him having to rely on beating guys to a spot so he can gain leverage, and when he can't he's tossed around. It also leads him to commit a lot of holding penalties because if he doesn't have position, he doesn't have much else. He's simply OK so far for me. OK isn't good enough to get top dollars. This is a prove it year and if he does, I think he'll get his money. Here in fact. If he doesn't prove it, or he merely maintains adequate levels, we have a plan to move forward. In between we'll have an entire season from which to draw conclusions from. Lots can and will happen.

and Linsley was not "benched" for any other reason than he's on the PUP and Tretter has taken over. Just like Linsley did the year before.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has been an adequate lt... As a rookie thrown to the wolves he was adequate , which was great in a way... Year 2 he was good. The whole oline was very solid that year. Which is why i am a bit suprised lindsley got benched. But back to bahk. Year 3 he was hurt and under whelming... This year i suspect he will catch stride, and put all those early lessons to work...

I always say the oline and dlinemen need a hand full of years to become dominant... Bahk is there and spriggs is just starting the journey.

I get that and don't have any problems if Bakhtiari takes his game to a near Pro Bowl level, (which is what I feel you're implying be saying "catch his stride"), and stays healthy then sure I could see shelling out top dollar for him. I put that in the long shot category even though I do agree lineman normally do take longer to develop. I'm just not sure Bakhtiari is one of those guys.

But in the far more likely scenerio, at least imo, where Bakhtiari continues to simply be just a solid to slightly above average LT, is forced to miss a game or two to injury AND Spriggs either looks the part in limited time and/or is developing in the coaches eyes then I see little reason to use up 9 million a year in cap space for no better reason other then depth. Which has been my stance all throughout this thread

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he was steady and has progressed slightly. That puts him at a slightly better then solid player playing a position that commands a premium price in FA. He isnt a great LT by any stretch and not nearly as irreplaceable as is being played up.

If there was no such thing as a hard cap then sure I'd be all for paying a premium price, cause hell it isn't my money, simply to ensure depth but that isnt the NFL world we live in. In that world if the high second round pick that you traded up for to select looks the part, can step in to play the position on a rookie deal with little to no drop off while still having significant potential to improve then no you don't spend top dollar, at a premium position, on a player that in a best case scenerio world is simply described as just good. (Even though I'd describe Bakhtiari as solid)

There are infinitely better ways to spend that cap space when a replacement is in place. If Spriggs doesn't look good to the coaches after his rookie season, (I say that cause hoping for zero injuries), then yes they should bring Bakhtiari back. That isn't what your arguing though. Your arguing that no matter what they should bring him back. A stance I completely disagree with
Here is a simple question! Do you believe if he had to play this year Spriggs would do as well as Bak did his rookie year? My answer probably not. From the looks it, Spriggs needs to move into the weightroom. He is going to be really good when he gains experience and add a few lbs. Same with Murphy, he actually played well vs Mack and Irvin. All I want is a packer superbowl. I know Bak is capable of doing his job. Spriggs is a total question mark!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

So your saying Spriggs is on the same level as Bak?

Geez, it's really not that diffucult to understand. Right now there's absolutely no doubt Spriggs isn't on a level with Bakhtiari. If the coaching staff feels comfortable with the rookie being on par with the incumbent starter at this time next year there's no reason to spend an additional $8+ million in cap space to re-sign Bakhtiari.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a simple question! Do you believe if he had to play this year Spriggs would do as well as Bak did his rookie year? My answer probably not. From the looks it, Spriggs needs to move into the weightroom. He is going to be really good when he gains experience and add a few lbs. Same with Murphy, he actually played well vs Mack and Irvin. All I want is a packer superbowl. I know Bak is capable of doing his job. Spriggs is a total question mark!!!

To answer your question. Most likely yes. Bakhtiari wasn't great his rookie year. He was just a lot better then garbage.

So your saying Spriggs is on the same level as Bak?

After a year of seasoning and a 2nd offseason I see no reason he can't be. It's not like Bakhtiari is even a borderline Pro Bowler

D

Deleted member 6794

I really have a hard time understanding why some posters are convinced that a second round pick couldn't end up being a decent left tackle after watching Bakhtiari performing on an adequate level as a rookie fourth rounder.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really have a hard time understanding why some posters are convinced that a second round pick couldn't end up being a decent left tackle after watching Bakhtiari performing on an adequate level as a rookie fourth rounder.
Yeah its possible a 2nd round pick is better than a 4th but its not a given. Would you like some examples? I can give you a handfull of 1st round tackles that suck.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah its possible a 2nd round pick is better than a 4th but its not a given. Would you like some examples? I can give you a handfull of 1st round tackles that suck.

You're right about that being an early round draft pick doesn't guarantee any success in the NFL but the chances are higher getting an impact player within the first two rounds.

The Packers trading up for Spriggs indicates the team is planning on him becoming a decent starter rather sooner than later.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where does WIMM even suggest it's a given? He asked if there's any reason not to believe it's a reasonable assumption. Sight unseen, despite your plethora of examples, I'd still bet that all the 2nd round linemen have produced more than all the 4th rounders.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who says BAK will get 9 mil, if he is a s0-s0 LT? Perhaps TT can sign him early for less.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who says BAK will get 9 mil, if he is a s0-s0 LT? Perhaps TT can sign him early for less.

With limited cap space available next offseason it would be a waste of money to re-sign Bakhtiari as long as Spriggs can perform on a similar level starting in 2017. Even if Bakhtiari would agree to a deal for less than $9 million a season.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where does WIMM even suggest it's a given? He asked if there's any reason not to believe it's a reasonable assumption. Sight unseen, despite your plethora of examples, I'd still bet that all the 2nd round linemen have produced more than all the 4th rounders.
Okay call it an assumption. Well you still can't assume a higher draft pick will be better than a later draft pick. I admit that higher draftpicks are supposed to better prospects, but you just never really know. You can only hope. By the way did you want a plethora of examples? There are plenty to give. If you don't know them yourself I would be glad to educate you. All you need do is ask!

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay call it an assumption. Well you still can't assume a higher draft pick will be better than a later draft pick. I admit that higher draftpicks are supposed to better prospects, but you just never really know. You can only hope. By the way did you want a plethora of examples? There are plenty to give. If you don't know them yourself I would be glad to educate you. All you need do is ask!

While there are numerous examples of a fourth round pick being more successful than a second rounder the percentage of starters acquired later in the draft is lower than within the first two rounds.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well the thing is LT is a premium position so even average players get PAID. That's the problem. Nobody is arguing if you can lock him up for 4-5 a year you don't do it. It's just not the reality

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft status means nothing. How many teams drafted LT with first pick and still missed. Hey I like Spriggs also. He was fun to watch blocking for Jordan Howard and Nate Sudfield. And should be a fine Tackle in a year or 2. But I do believe Bak is much better than average. Did you not watch his rookie season when he replaced Bulaga for the year? He was thrown to the wolves and has steadily improved since.

To add to your draft status comment, Bahk has been a better pick and much better deal than the first two picks of his draft class who were both LTs.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many lts were drafted from the two years before clifton retired. And up through til now? Because imo, we have been looking for our future corner stone that long, and bahk has been the only one worth a crap.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was the 2nd round pick Jerel Worthy better than 4th round pick Mike Daniels?

A: Daniels is a MUCH better DE then Bakhtiari is a LT

B: NOBODY is guaranteeing that Spriggs will be better then Bakhtiari. Just that if Spriggs looks good then move on and don't pay top dollar for a solid player.

Members online

Latest posts