Fußball-Bundesliga

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yepp, thats what I thought - but they recently published a research study in a US science magazine where the proved that size matters ! But I guess thats another topic :eek::D

Jaap Stam was a beast, what a player and one of the very few Dutch world class defenders.

I think it still depends on the position, centre-backs like Japp Stam were and still are tall guys. But nowadays they can play football as well, just think of Sergio Ramos or Gerard Piqué, Mats Hummels or Holger Badstuber to name two German players.
For wingbacks for example speed and technical skills are more important than size.
To me another reason why players are getting taller is just beause everybody is getting taller.
Im 1,78m (5''10), quite average for my generation, but look at these teenagers nowadays, they are all at least 6''1 or taller and wearing shoes with size 9 1/2 and even larger :eek::D

The game is evolving and yes seems the players are getting bigger, a combination of skill speed and intelligence is the ultimate, or Zidane as he was called. Supreme!
I know Stam a rare thing a brilliant Nederlander defender, here is the test if he'd have qualified for Germany you would have had him right? ;) Much like me with someone like Bobby Moore.
I think so, i'm reasonably tall 6ft+ and 10 in boots (UK) but i think that's kind of average now. I remember a good number of years ago a school kid walked passed me. And i swear he was nearly a foot taller than i was. :eek: Seems that every generation is getting bigger no question.

Drogba as someone said was big and ''in real life you would struggle to put him down with a hammer, but touch him in the box and he would go down like a sack of potatoes.'' Yes another debate, but true.:rolleyes:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game is evolving and yes seems the players are getting bigger, a combination of skill speed and intelligence is the ultimate, or Zidane as he was called. Supreme!
I know Stam a rare thing a brilliant Nederlander defender, here is the test if he'd have qualified for Germany you would have had him right? ;) Much like me with someone like Bobby Moore.
I think so, i'm reasonably tall 6ft+ and 10 in boots (UK) but i think that's kind of average now. I remember a good number of years ago a school kid walked passed me. And i swear he was nearly a foot taller than i was. :eek: Seems that every generation is getting bigger no question.

Drogba as someone said was big and ''in real life you would struggle to put him down with a hammer, but touch him in the box and he would go down like a sack of potatoes.'' Yes another debate, but true.:rolleyes:

For sure ;)

A 10 in boots ? :eek:
Wow thats huge, I do have small feet, UK 7 1/2 .
Thats definitely not average for my generation, I just have inherited my fathers feet. ;)
But I didnt care, small feet meant better ball control on the field :D

Indeed, my nephew is 18 years old, 6''3 tall, shoe size 11 1/2..... he quit football and joined an
American Football team.....

Agree, thats a shame and embarrassing although I quite like him. :rolleyes:
Because of him I bought me an Ivory Coast shirt during WC 2006....

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
For sure ;)

A 10 in boots ? :eek:
Wow thats huge, I do have small feet, UK 7 1/2 .
Thats definitely not average for my generation, I just have inherited my fathers feet. ;)
But I didnt care, small feet meant better ball control on the field :D

Indeed, my nephew is 18 years old, 6''3 tall, shoe size 11 1/2..... he quit football and joined an
American Football team.....

Agree, thats a shame and embarrassing although I quite like him. :rolleyes:
Because of him I bought me an Ivory Coast shirt during WC 2006....

Yep i'm pretty much 10 in everything in that department, mabey in a little bigger than most there although i'm a dwarf in comparison to the swimmer Ian Thorpe. I kid you not size 17! :eek:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The worst part of his game, i secretly hated it because i've been on the receiving end of all that. Not nice, although how many players do you know would give all their £3m Pepsi contract money to set up a hospital in their home town.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep i'm pretty much 10 in everything in that department, mabey in a little bigger than most there although i'm a dwarf in comparison to the swimmer Ian Thorpe. I kid you not size 17! :eek:

The worst part of his game, i secretly hated it because i've been on the receiving end of all that. Not nice, although how many players do you know would give all their £3m Pepsi contract money to set up a hospital in their home town.

Size 17 :eek: No wonder that he is one of the best swimmers worldwide ;)

That says something about the person Drogba, impressive that he obviously did not forget where he came from.
Didnt know that :tup:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Size 17 :eek: No wonder that he is one of the best swimmers worldwide ;)

That says something about the person Drogba, impressive that he obviously did not forget where he came from.
Didnt know that :tup:

He also got Abramovich to match the amount pound for pound which was quite special, good to see large amounts of football cash going on worthy causes instead of mansions and luxury boats for once. :cool: To put that into perspective that's the same as six visits to the petrol station for Abramovch's boat. :eek:

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Right, this is abit of a strange request, looking for abit of help from one of you guys who follows Bundesliga alot.

I'm looking for a german club to follow, i'd liked Schalke but i think that was due to the stadium rather than the team tbh. Looking for a passionate club, rich in history, good set of fans etc. I'm basically looking for the German equivalent of Wolves, doesnt have to be Lg1, could be Lg2.

Not looking to follow Borussia or Bayern, nothing against those two, but teams i follow dont tend to be THAT successful - again see Wolves ;).

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, this is abit of a strange request, looking for abit of help from one of you guys who follows Bundesliga alot.

I'm looking for a german club to follow, i'd liked Schalke but i think that was due to the stadium rather than the team tbh. Looking for a passionate club, rich in history, good set of fans etc. I'm basically looking for the German equivalent of Wolves, doesnt have to be Lg1, could be Lg2.

Not looking to follow Borussia or Bayern, nothing against those two, but teams i follow dont tend to be THAT successful - again see Wolves ;).

O.K., that means Werder Bremen and FC St. Pauli are out of the race and Hamburg should be your choice :sneaky:;)
I hope you guys dont expect me to suggest teams like Pauli or Werder for obvious reasons, do you ? :D

But a eqivalent of Wolves....difficult...but Eintracht Braunschweig, 1860 Munich, 1.FC Kaiserlautern or 1.FC Cologne could be possibilities.
All teams have a lot of tradition and a fickle club history.

In League 1 the teams with the richest history are Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Monchengladbach, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, 1. FC Nurnberg, Schalke 04 and of course my team, Hamburg.

Maybe interesting as well if you are looking for a good set of fans - the teams that bring the most fans with them on away games are Cologne, Schalke, Dortmund, Hamburg, Frankfurter, Kaiserslautern and Bayern.
In my opinion this says a lot about the passion of the fans when so many are travelling with their team although I must admit that you can find a lot of bandwagoners in Dortmund and Munich.

But I think you should have a closer look on Einracht Braunschweig, they recently promoted ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eintracht_Braunschweig

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also got Abramovich to match the amount pound for pound which was quite special, good to see large amounts of football cash going on worthy causes instead of mansions and luxury boats for once. :cool: To put that into perspective that's the same as six visits to the petrol station for Abramovch's boat. :eek:

Thats decadent :rolleyes:

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
O.K., that means Werder Bremen and FC St. Pauli are out of the race and Hamburg should be your choice :sneaky:;)
I hope you guys dont expect me to suggest teams like Pauli or Werder for obvious reasons, do you ? :D

But a eqivalent of Wolves....difficult...but Eintracht Braunschweig, 1860 Munich, 1.FC Kaiserlautern or 1.FC Cologne could be possibilities.
All teams have a lot of tradition and a fickle club history.

In League 1 the teams with the richest history are Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Monchengladbach, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, 1. FC Nurnberg, Schalke 04 and of course my team, Hamburg.

Maybe interesting as well if you are looking for a good set of fans - the teams that bring the most fans with them on away games are Cologne, Schalke, Dortmund, Hamburg, Frankfurter, Kaiserslautern and Bayern.
In my opinion this says a lot about the passion of the fans when so many are travelling with their team although I must admit that you can find a lot of bandwagoners in Dortmund and Munich.

But I think you should have a closer look on Einracht Braunschweig, they recently promoted ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eintracht_Braunschweig

Einracht Braunschweig, with a running track round the pitch? Hell no, hate running tracks on football stadiums, haha.

Think i'll go for Hamburg seeing as i already follow their results (mainly to track the progress of Michael Mancienne who had 2yrs on loan at Wolves), plus i like their new shirt which was posted the other day. I also like the simplicity of the badge, again like the wolf head on Wolves badge. The stadium is nice too, if i remember rightly thats where W.Klitschko beat D.Haye two years ago right.

Hamburger SV :)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Einracht Braunschweig, with a running track round the pitch? Hell no, hate running tracks on football stadiums, haha.

Think i'll go for Hamburg seeing as i already follow their results (mainly to track the progress of Michael Mancienne who had 2yrs on loan at Wolves), plus i like their new shirt which was posted the other day. I also like the simplicity of the badge, again like the wolf head on Wolves badge. The stadium is nice too, if i remember rightly thats where W.Klitschko beat D.Haye two years ago right.

Hamburger SV :)

Good choice :D
But be aware of the fact that we didnt win anything since 1987 :rolleyes:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Bayer Leverkuesen would be a good possibility too. They are fun to watch, have some quality, but not overloaded, hang at the bottom edge of the top pack.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bayer Leverkuesen would be a good possibility too. They are fun to watch, have some quality, but not overloaded, hang at the bottom edge of the top pack.

Thats true Croak, they have a very good team and solid management, much better than we have in Hamburg for example.
But he was looking for a team with rich history and passionate fans. ;)
I've been there when they played Hamburg, they have radiant heaters everywhere in the stadium.:eek:
Maybe their fans should visit an opera house instead a football stadium. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Thats decadent :rolleyes:

It is totally beyond all reason. If it was not for nessie i think id have come out as a Dortmund fan long ago. Not because they just so happen to be in the CL Final this year, but because of their fans the ott whatever colour shirts they have and Paul Lambert (a Scot) used to play for them. And he man marked Zidane in the CLF when they beat Juve. I just like the German league and ill stay neutral, with slight leanings towards certain teams you know who they are. ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hows his stock is he passed it? or could he still do a job somewhere else. HSV a possibilty or a dream?
I dont think we will see him at another German club soon, maybe somewhere abroad and there es no way that he could be the manager of Hamburg.
He wouldnt be accepted by the vast majority of fans ! The reaction would be similar to Benitez at Stamford Bridge or even worse.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I dont think we will see him at another German club soon, maybe somewhere abroad and there es no way that he could be the manager of Hamburg.
He wouldnt be accepted by the vast majority of fans ! The reaction would be similar to Benitez at Stamford Bridge or even worse.

Ahh comprende i understand, but you wish you had him before he moved there. :( With a clean slate Benitez and no history behind him, id have quite liked Rafa i do as a person but not as a coach because of what hes said about my team. Even if he wins tonights game ill feel the same.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh comprende i understand, but you wish you had him before he moved there. :( With a clean slate Benitez and no history behind him, id have quite liked Rafa i do as a person but not as a coach because of what hes said about my team. Even if he wins tonights game ill feel the same.
Oh, yes sorry - I just meant that though I am a Hamburg fan I respect was he has achieved with Werder and that he is doubtless one of the top managers in the league. And I like him because he is a man of few words and if he is talking it makes sense, never heard him talking b***sh** like so many others.
And I wish Hamburg had signed a manager like him because if so we would have won some more titles since 1987 :rolleyes: . In my opinion Werder is a perfect example what you can achieve when there is a concept, patience and a highly professional environment.
Something we are missing 100 km north of Bremen, during 14 years of Schaaf in Bremen we had 14 managers, including 3 caretaker manager. Anymore questions why we are still waiting for another title....? :rolleyes:;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Oh, yes sorry - I just meant that though I am a Hamburg fan I respect was he has achieved with Werder and that he is doubtless one of the top managers in the league. And I like him because he is a man of few words and if he is talking it makes sense, never heard him talking b***sh** like so many others.
And I wish Hamburg had signed a manager like him because if so we would have won some more titles since 1987 :rolleyes: . In my opinion Werder is a perfect example what you can achieve when there is a concept, patience and a highly professional environment.
Something we are missing 100 km north of Bremen, during 14 years of Schaaf in Bremen we had 14 managers, including 3 caretaker manager. Anymore questions why we are still waiting for another title....? :rolleyes:;)

He sounds like the type of coach i like, does his talking with actions not words. I seriously had no idea its been that long since HSV has won the league thats too long for a historical great club. It can only be the ones in charge who are getting it wrong, but one day all that will change and everything will be forgotten. Do i care about 1982 when CFC were in the old Div 2 on a night we have won a European trophy nope its all wiped away. Keep the faith. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sounds like the type of coach i like, does his talking with actions not words. I seriously had no idea its been that long since HSV has won the league thats too long for a historical great club. It can only be the ones in charge who are getting it wrong, but one day all that will change and everything will be forgotten. Do i care about 1982 when CFC were in the old Div 2 on a night we have won a European trophy nope its all wiped away. Keep the faith. ;)
It even has been longer since we won the league, PackerFan71.
1987 we won the DFB Cup (our "FA Cup"), last time we were "Deutscher Meister" was in 1983 :rolleyes:
Hope dies last :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You know, reading all the posts between you guys about mediocrity a Bayern fan could think he was spoiled. ;):eek:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You know, reading all the posts between you guys about mediocrity a Bayern fan could think he was spoiled. ;):eek:

Winning alot is nice but gets boring after a while. It can breed a certain kind of fan, of the fairweather variety. I hate them more than the **** Black Spiders from Mars, ''Where were you when we were *****'' sums them up to a tee.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
It even has been longer since we won the league, PackerFan71.
1987 we won the DFB Cup (our "FA Cup"), last time we were "Deutscher Meister" was in 1983 :rolleyes:
Hope dies last :D

I would say HSV from your report, are the German equivalent of Everton. A club with a great history and great teams but for years sleeping giants. Indeed hope dies last, being a Scotland fan i know what you mean. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice video presentation of the new Hamburg home shirt.... ;)

At 0:58 Marcell Jansen makes a bad mistake ("schwerer Fehler") and you can see a green shirt for a few seconds, guess what team is meant ;)

Members online

Latest posts