Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like to see 2 of this group signed
Jadaveon clowney approx 16 million per over 4
Dee Ford approx 14 million per over 4
Anthony Barr approx 12 million per over 4

Along with
Earl Thomas approx 10 million per over 3

If you get that done you're pretty much free to draft the best guy regardless of position and that's how you draft great players consistently

Admittedly have no idea what I'm doing, other than filling in the blanks, but adding Clowney, Ford, and Thomas to Sportrac's 'manage the roster' feature puts them roughly $10 mil over the cap.

H

HardRightEdge

Like to see 2 of this group signed
Jadaveon clowney approx 16 million per over 4
Dee Ford approx 14 million per over 4
Anthony Barr approx 12 million per over 4

Along with
Earl Thomas approx 10 million per over 3

If you get that done you're pretty much free to draft the best guy regardless of position and that's how you draft great players.
3 of those guys at that money? That ain't happening.

Thomas, with age and injury history? No way. There's high risk of a Graham redux in that kind of contract. I'd much prefer they go after Amos.

Barr is not worth that kind of money, by the way. He has his spash plays but is pretty average in between.

If the Packers are going big for one player, Ford would be a reasonable choice. It would free up Perry's release and not resigning Matthews, if that is not already a fait accompli, while the available at OLB's at #12 will not represent good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Admittedly have no idea what I'm doing, other than filling in the blanks, but adding Clowney, Ford, and Thomas to Sportrac's 'manage the roster' feature puts them roughly $10 mil over the cap.
You know more than you think.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If PFF is close in projecting 4 yrs., $60 mil, $33 mil guaranteed in a Bell contract, that's a big pill to swallow with a huge dead cap overhang leading to major regrets if, like many running backs, he hits an early wall in what will be his 6th. season.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...LeVeon-Bells-best-free-agent-offer-128773441/

Spending this kind of money on a RB is not an efficient use of resources and strikes me as a short term solution to longer term issues. It would be better go day one or two on a RB and use this cap to shore up another position or two, though I can't say I'd endorse that move either.

How short did Gutekunst really come up with Mack? I'd surmise way short, in a "wait, what!" moment when Oakland told him the offer he'd have to top.

About the only good thing I could say about such a signing is Bell's year off after high touch seasons might have refreshed his legs deferring the wall. It would be a "win now" move without the complementary horses with a big cap overhang in 2020 and beyond.

Wouldn't pay more than 3 years 30 million with 15 million guranteed for bell which is what I was able to sign him for in a simulation. But even then I had second thoughts and don't think I'd even want him for that, let alone twice that

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
3 of those guys at that money? That ain't happening.

Thomas, with age and injury history? No way. There's high risk of a Graham redux in that kind of contract. I'd much prefer they go after Amos.

Barr is not worth that kind of money, by the way. He has his spash plays but is pretty average in between.

If the Packers are going big for one player, Ford would be a reasonable choice. It would free up Perry's release and not resigning Matthews, if that is not already a fait accompli, while the available at OLB's at #12 will not represent good value.

While I like Thomas I have to agree that the Packers have been on the bad side of too many contracts with players 30 or older. I think Lamarcus Joyner has some tread left on the tire though.

From what I am hearing in KC Dee Ford won't be coming available but Justin Houston most likely will.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I like Thomas I have to agree that the Packers have been on the bad side of too many contracts with players 30 or older. I think Lamarcus Joyner has some tread left on the tire though.

From what I am hearing in KC Dee Ford won't be coming available but Justin Houston most likely will.

Joyner had only one great season and Houston is 30 years old as well. The Packers should rather pass on both of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather see the money spread around and sign 3-5 "decent" FA's. Blowing most of it on 1 guy isn't appealing to me for a few reasons. First, we aren't just short one guy. Second, locking up big bucks in one guy creates the situation where an injury or just that one guy under performing, having a bigger negative impact on the team, a situation we are all too familiar with.

The Packers almost signed Fuller to a big contract last year, great player, but would he have made a big difference to the defense that we saw? Khalil Mack, an even better player, but just to big of an investment for a team needing more than one guy and again, Mack alone probably wouldn't have been enough to make the Packers Super Bowl contenders.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I think Lamarcus Joyner has some tread left on the tire though.

I like Amos better than Joyner and I don't like Joyner all that much to start with.

KC paying Ford and letting Houston go makes so much sense that even talking about Ford is probably going to be a waste of time. Houston gives KC $14 mil in cap savings if released. It's an instructive example. Keep the young guy and let the old guy go if the dead cap is not prohibitive. You don't want to be the guy who does the opposite, signing those old guys instead of focusing on second contract possibilities.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Joyner had only one great season and Houston is 30 years old as well. The Packers should rather pass on both of them.

Any of these free agents are somewhat of a gamble. Joyner is 28 and coming off a season as one of top rated safeties. If we could get him to play up to his ability he would be better then anyone we have had back there for years. I don't want to throw a rookie back at safety for this stretch run were in. Adding him would be the final piece to the secondary.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
John Dorsey seems to have put the Chiefs into some cap issues and cutting Houston would make a lot of sense. My only concern with Houston is that he is a 30 year old player, that has been racking up the injuries. Still a better player than Nick Perry, but if he can't stay on the field, how much would he be worth?

D

Deleted member 6794

Any of these free agents are somewhat of a gamble. Joyner is 28 and coming off a season as one of top rated safeties. If we could get him to play up to his ability he would be better then anyone we have had back there for years. I don't want to throw a rookie back at safety for this stretch run were in. Adding him would be the final piece to the secondary.

Joyner performed at an elite level in 2017 but regressed last season. As HRE mentioned I would prefer the Packers signing Amos instead.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
John Dorsey seems to have put the Chiefs into some cap issues and cutting Houston would make a lot of sense. My only concern with Houston is that he is a 30 year old player, that has been racking up the injuries. Still a better player than Nick Perry, but if he can't stay on the field, how much would he be worth?

The Chiefs would probably keep Houston but there are going through a scheme change which makes one of Houston/Ford expendable and not worth the massive cap allocation.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At Safety, Amos and Tre Boston are players I'd like to see. Earl Thomas just doesn't seem likely.

At Edge, I would think we will see one of Preston Smith/Shaq Barrett/Smith (Baltimore) sign in GB. Barrett has indicated he'd like lots of playing time, and we have that available. None of those guys are premier edges, but they're better than what we have and affordable.

I hope we sign a slot WR like Adam Humphries. DeSean Jackson would be fun too. Is John Brown available?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
John Brown could be available, he was on a 1 year $5M contract with the Ravens. He said he will be seeking a long term deal. Not sure if he is any better of a solution than Cobb though and probably will be asking around the same price. While he has missed less games than Cobb, he still has some injury concerns, as well as 5th last year in the # of dropped balls (14.3 %). He also has the same sickle-cell trait that Montgomery has, which can slow up recovery from injuries.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He graded in the 70's on PFF. If you keep it the context that T. Williams was our starter at end of season I believe he is.

More specifically, 70.9. Which would place him as their 35th ranked safety.

I guess if you are going to compare who we currently have at Safety, there isn't much question that upgrading will be easy. Same could be said about OLB and RG. But settling for Joyner wouldn't be my idea of improving enough.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
More specifically, 70.9. Which would place him as their 35th ranked safety.

I guess if you are going to compare who we currently have at Safety, there isn't much question that upgrading will be easy. Same could be said about OLB and RG. But settling for Joyner wouldn't be my idea of improving enough.

If they can pay significantly less and get Amos, Boston or a starting quality safety for that matter i'm fine with it. Whatever they have to do to not have to draft one early.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If they can pay significantly pay less and get Amos, Boston or a starting quality safety for that matter i'm fine with it. Whatever they have to do to not have to draft one early.
Given the current perceived need at S, it wouldn't surprise me to see Gute do both, sign a FA S and draft one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Amos better than Joyner and I don't like Joyner all that much to start with.

KC paying Ford and letting Houston go makes so much sense that even talking about Ford is probably going to be a waste of time. Houston gives KC $14 mil in cap savings if released. It's an instructive example. Keep the young guy and let the old guy go if the dead cap is not prohibitive. You don't want to be the guy who does the opposite, signing those old guys instead of focusing on second contract possibilities.

My brother in law says its been on Chicago sports radio that Amos is seeking around 9 million a year. I know asking isn't getting but its a starting point. Probably also means we can give up the "if we can get him cheap" talk. Not saying anyone here has said this just that its how a lot of fans think. They want the best players but they don't wan to pay them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My brother in law says its been on Chicago sports radio that Amos is seeking around 9 million a year. I know asking isn't getting but its a starting point. Probably also means we can give up the "if we can get him cheap" talk. Not saying anyone here has said this just that its how a lot of fans think. They want the best players but they don't wan to pay them.
I can see the Bears letting him walk at that ask, they have a lot tied up in that defense and I think Eddie Jackson's contract is due up after 2020. I'm hoping for another soft Safety market like we saw last year. Some decent options to choose from off of this "Top 10".

1. Earl Thomas
2. Tyrann Mathieu
3. Lamarcus Joyner
4. Landon Collins
5. Adrian Amos
6. Tre Boston
7. Eric Reid
8. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
9. Ron Parker
10. Kenny Vaccaro

H

HardRightEdge

$9 mil seems a little high but I don't know why anyone would think Amos would be cheap.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't mind the Packers paying that kind of money to Amos to solidify the free safety position.