Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not going to pretend I watched a lot of Golden Tate, and I’m not going to box score scout. A few of the people I follow that are generally quite knowledgeable with football have noted that Tate has dropped off, especially athletically.

I think there are better options out there, personally.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not going to pretend I watched a lot of Golden Tate, and I’m not going to box score scout. A few of the people I follow that are generally quite knowledgeable with football have noted that Tate has dropped off, especially athletically.

I think there are better options out there, personally.

And therein lies the importance of working him out. See what he can do in person.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course there are better guys than Golden Tate, but again we are not a team atm going out and able to buy anyone like Fuller. Funchess type guys are about what we can do.

I think Tate is the type of slot guy you sit and wait on, see how the draft goes first.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There seems to be some indication out there that the Packers would be open to bringing back Marcedes Lewis.

I'd love to see that, as his ability to play in-line is a big help to the offense.

However, the release of Kyle Rudolph by the Vikings means there's finally an option out there that could play that "Y" role in this offense. He'd be a good addition if they don't retain Lewis. And he has more left as a receiver as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL roster cuts tracker from Spotrac. You have to set the dates. Quite a few were Covid sit outs and not being a big name at the time. Doesn't bode well for Funchess if trends hold.

If im Funchess im going in and saying give me the minimum with incentives if I hit. Bet on himself. Cat is still young enough and Rodgers could make him succeed

D

Deleted member 6794

Tate was brought in and paid to be a #1 receiver after they traded Odell. You don't get targeted, you don't have stats to back up your contract and hence being released. If expectations are set, and obviously they would be because he's not Adams, then it's reasonable to expect he'd settle in to being a #2 or#3.

And nobody knows how good he could be with Rodgers. With Stafford he was a YAC monster and had multiple 1000 yard seasons. I wouldn't expect that, but I think he'd be a better slot receiver than anyone we have and may come cheap.

My point was that if Tate complained that he didn't receive enough targets with the Giants I'm afraid he would do the same in Green Bay with Rodgers mostly looking for Adams.

I don't believe he's good enough anymore to warrant signing him despite the move possibly resulting in locker room issues.

However, the release of Kyle Rudolph by the Vikings means there's finally an option out there that could play that "Y" role in this offense. He'd be a good addition if they don't retain Lewis. And he has more left as a receiver as well.

True, Rudolph would definitely be more expensive than Lewis though.

If im Funchess im going in and saying give me the minimum with incentives if I hit. Bet on himself. Cat is still young enough and Rodgers could make him succeed

Funchess will already pay for close to the minimum next season as he's slated to earn a base salary of $1.05 million in 2021.

It seems his contract includes a huge amount of possible incentives as well.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero is reporting that Linsley is expected to be one of a handful of offensive linemen that will receive huge contracts this offseason.

That will obviously mean he's ruled out for a return, much like Bulaga last off-season.

It looks like center will be figured out between Lucas Patrick, Jake Hanson, and a rookie. Jenkins can also play there but I would expect him to more likely factor in at LG or maybe RT.

Giving Patrick that 2/3M extension was pretty darn savvy!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero is reporting that Linsley is expected to be one of a handful of offensive linemen that will receive huge contracts this offseason.

That will obviously mean he's ruled out for a return, much like Bulaga last off-season.

It looks like center will be figured out between Lucas Patrick, Jake Hanson, and a rookie. Jenkins can also play there but I would expect him to more likely factor in at LG or maybe RT.

Giving Patrick that 2/3M extension was pretty darn savvy!

Good. If he’s gonna leave, then get paid. I want those comp picks!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good. If he’s gonna leave, then get paid. I want those comp picks!

Yep! And hopefully the Packers can bring in some help via roster cuts that won't impact the comp. formula.

Linsley and Jones carry the potential to bring GB some decent picks in 2022. Maybe a 3rd and a 4th, or a 4th and a 5th.

Overthecap is projecting that we will have an extra 4th, 5th, and 6th this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of us here hinted at it, but there is a very good chance Linsley gets us a 3rd round compensatory pick while Jones only gets us a 4th.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overthecap is projecting that we will have an extra 4th, 5th, and 6th this year.

And that was for Bulaga, Martinez and Fackrell if memory serves...Personally I say Linsley, Jones and King are higher caliber players...

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And that was for Bulaga, Martinez and Fackrell if memory serves...Personally I say Linsley, Jones and King are higher caliber players...

Yes, that's right.

Martinez's deal averaged 10.25M and he's projected to bring a 4th.
Bulaga's deal averaged 10M and he's projected to bring a 5th.
Fackrell's deal was 1/4.6M and he's projected to bring a 6th.

Based on picks awarded in the 2020 draft, ~11M was the cut-off between 3rd and 4th round picks.

So if that held up, there's a good chance that Martinez and Bulaga would bring 4th rounders.

And it also would mean that Aaron Jones has a chance to bring a 3rd, while Linsley is probably more likely to bring a 4th.

I have no idea what King will end up doing. But I'd be mildly surprised if his APY beat Fackrell's after the year he had.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Funchess has taken a pay cut. Only saw the headline. Sitting in for jury selection and it wont load NFL.com so I can read the article.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to brag....but I called this: Funchess takes pay cut to stay.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-wr-devin-funchess-bills-c-mitch-morse-take-pay-cuts

I'm telling you guys, I truly think there is potential Funchess is the Ace-in-Hole Gute feels he has. I still am targeting a slot/YAC type guy if I'm him in the draft for sure (WE HAVE NONE). Funchess in the off season seems to have pulled himself together more than he has been both mentally and physically...VERY low cost with potential HIGH payoff for us and him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Funchess has taken a pay cut. Only saw the headline. Sitting in for jury selection and it wont load NFL.com so I can read the article.

we had to been typing at same time. It isn't a huge savings for us but appears to save us about $750,000

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just means we can keep him through camp and see if he’s any good or not, and have it not hurt fiscally if we cut him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just means we can keep him through camp and see if he’s any good or not, and have it not hurt fiscally if we cut him.

Well of course. However, IF Funchess provides himself dependable still - I could see a world where he signs a 2-3 year deal after the year as I predict we have a significant turnover in the WR room after 2021. I see his presence WORST case being a push for growth out of Lazard - both are bigger possession type WRs and arguably Lazard has had zero-competition there. Very low cost/risk vs potentially high reward - I've loved it from the start and it just got better.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's a bargain bin idea at corner: Desmond Trufant.

Trufant completely fell apart in Detroit last year. So he should be very inexpensive.

However, the entire secondary completely fell apart under Matt Patricia. Everyone was terrible, whether they had a history of good play or not.

And here's one big factor-- the Lions ran a ton of man defense under Patricia. The Packers have been a much heavier zone defense, and should continue to be under Barry.

So at 29, it's possible that Trufant could rebound outside of that system, not to the heights of his prime, but to respectability.

I wouldn't sign him and consider the CB2 spot fixed, but in tandem with a relatively high draft pick, he would be a nice dart throw in my opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a bargain bin idea at corner: Desmond Trufant.

Trufant completely fell apart in Detroit last year. So he should be very inexpensive.

However, the entire secondary completely fell apart under Matt Patricia. Everyone was terrible, whether they had a history of good play or not.

And here's one big factor-- the Lions ran a ton of man defense under Patricia. The Packers have been a much heavier zone defense, and should continue to be under Barry.

So at 29, it's possible that Trufant could rebound outside of that system, not to the heights of his prime, but to respectability.

I wouldn't sign him and consider the CB2 spot fixed, but in tandem with a relatively high draft pick, he would be a nice dart throw in my opinion.

Trufant mixed with a draftee that perhaps is not ready to slide outside quite yet, and would serve well to work inside a year (Campbell comes to my mind first).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly if you're the Jets, Jags and especially the Dolphins....rebuilding a team with their draft equity, cap luxury and Covid causing a slew of solid FAs to be out there has never been more possible in one off season.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly if you're the Jets, Jags and especially the Dolphins....rebuilding a team with their draft equity, cap luxury and Covid causing a slew of solid FAs to be out there has never been more possible in one off season.

Dolphins could have really done this last year if Tua had panned out. Not sure what they have with Tua at this point.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Not sure it was worth starting a new thread but passing along.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much expected. No surprise this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts