Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft network nailed the 5th rounder, and missed the other two by just one pick. They've gotten very good at projecting these comp picks lately.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Vikings cut Reiff.

His market might price him out but it would be funny to solve RT with an NFCN cut for another season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Brown cut let go off the Bills roster...

I could easily see a cheap signee like a Brown give Gute an excuse not to feel pressed to draft someone OR say the draft doesn't fall the way he'd like WR wise be the type of guy to sign post-draft if there.

31 yes, but he's never had a season with less than 450 yards (even last year limited to 8 or 9 games) used to have some rough catch %s BUT last two season has broke 60% and could be a great cheaper signee.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Brown cut let go off the Bills roster...

I could easily see a cheap signee like a Brown give Gute an excuse not to feel pressed to draft someone OR say the draft doesn't fall the way he'd like WR wise be the type of guy to sign post-draft if there.

31 yes, but he's never had a season with less than 450 yards (even last year limited to 8 or 9 games) used to have some rough catch %s BUT last two season has broke 60% and could be a great cheaper signee.

For a mid-tier WR price he could help open the offense up quite a bit; having a reliable deep threat that could help teach MVS would be pretty valuable. Plus, I think the Packers REALLY need to focus on dline and CB more than WR in this draft, much as I hate to have to say that. Last year's draft didn't do much to address defensive weaknesses and upcoming needs. Packers could really use WR help to make Rodger's job easier (can you imagine Rodgers with the Bucs receiving group?) but Rodgers is good enough to keep this offense elite with the current receivers while the defense currently features some pretty terrible CB depth from CB2 on.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
For a mid-tier WR price he could help open the offense up quite a bit; having a reliable deep threat that could help teach MVS would be pretty valuable. Plus, I think the Packers REALLY need to focus on dline and CB more than WR in this draft, much as I hate to have to say that. Last year's draft didn't do much to address defensive weaknesses and upcoming needs. Packers could really use WR help to make Rodger's job easier (can you imagine Rodgers with the Bucs receiving group?) but Rodgers is good enough to keep this offense elite with the current receivers while the defense currently features some pretty terrible CB depth from CB2 on.
Do you think that Scantling will drop as many long passes as he did in the first half of 2020? Or do you think that his play in 2021 will more closely resemble the back half of 2020?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Kansas City just cut both of their starting offensive tackles. Fisher and Schwartz.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think that Scantling will drop as many long passes as he did in the first half of 2020? Or do you think that his play in 2021 will more closely resemble the back half of 2020?

I know not directly to me but I gotta share my thoughts.

I've banged the MVS drum hard both ways, honest in criticism and honest in praise - at times it is only the former for sure...but folks if you really go back and look at about the entirety of the second half of the season I swear something started clicking for that man like never before.

Week 12 the Chicago game was when I saw it personally, his blocking crossed another level, his routes weren't breaking off and his reads seemed better...

But that final 4-6 game stretch he had was a different type receiver as well...high pointing balls, using his hands not body catching...

Even if you HATE MVS, this man changed - will it stick? Not a soul can say, but if it does watch out fellas - the uncoachables have always been there, coachables have been improving yearly and his head seemed changed....if that sticks, 100% he will be end of 2020 and then some to this offense.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know not directly to me but I gotta share my thoughts.

I've banged the MVS drum hard both ways, honest in criticism and honest in praise - at times it is only the former for sure...but folks if you really go back and look at about the entirety of the second half of the season I swear something started clicking for that man like never before.

Week 12 the Chicago game was when I saw it personally, his blocking crossed another level, his routes weren't breaking off and his reads seemed better...

But that final 4-6 game stretch he had was a different type receiver as well...high pointing balls, using his hands not body catching...

Even if you HATE MVS, this man changed - will it stick? Not a soul can say, but if it does watch out fellas - the uncoachables have always been there, coachables have been improving yearly and his head seemed changed....if that sticks, 100% he will be end of 2020 and then some to this offense.

I would agree... He played with much more confidence. Another full offseason and MVS can be a bigger threat.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope for the back-half but I'm guessing he'll continue with the drops issue; advantage of Brown signing would be that the Packers could possibly field two deep threats. Worst case? MVS continues to be unreliable and Brown gives the team that consistent deep threat they've missed while helping tutor MVS.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope for the back-half but I'm guessing he'll continue with the drops issue; advantage of Brown signing would be that the Packers could possibly field two deep threats. Worst case? MVS continues to be unreliable and Brown gives the team that consistent deep threat they've missed while helping tutor MVS.
John Brown? He of the career 53.8% catch percentage per PFR? It was worse before he moved to Buffalo. Why'd he play in only half the games last season? IDK what injury he had.
BTW MVS was 52+% for the season, 62.5% last 8 games 15/24.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think that kid turned a corner the later part of the season. It was evident just in the way he walked out on the field. He may never be the super star, but if he just maintains that level of play, he'll do a lot for this offense with and without the ball.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Brown? He of the career 53.8% catch percentage per PFR? It was worse before he moved to Buffalo. Why'd he play in only half the games last season? IDK what injury he had.
BTW MVS was 52+% for the season, 62.5% last 8 games 15/24.

I guarantee that a defensive coordinator is more concerned about John Brown than MVS. Right or wrong, John Brown has a history of being a deep threat while MVS has not. Also, that's why John Brown is not going to be an expensive signing. I'll also point out that during his 2 years in Buffalo, Brown had a catch percentage over 60%. Final point, Brown has never played with a QB as accurate as Rodgers; not sure I'm going to compare catch % when we're talking about broken down Carson Palmer/Blaine Gabbert/Drew Stanton/Joe Flacco/Rookie Lamar Jackson vs Aaron Rodgers.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Brown? He of the career 53.8% catch percentage per PFR? It was worse before he moved to Buffalo. Why'd he play in only half the games last season? IDK what injury he had...
Brown had a nagging knee injury mid-season, then a late season ankle which they IR'd him. 2016-2019 he dealt with calf, quad, turf toe injuries as well as a concussion. He has Sickle Cell Trait to deal with, fatigue, and altitude-change issues as well as he's 31 yrs. old (as of April). Don't care if he's OK with vet-minimum, not available so I don't want him.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I guarantee that a defensive coordinator is more concerned about John Brown than MVS. Right or wrong, John Brown has a history of being a deep threat while MVS has not. Also, that's why John Brown is not going to be an expensive signing. I'll also point out that during his 2 years in Buffalo, Brown had a catch percentage over 60%. Final point, Brown has never played with a QB as accurate as Rodgers; not sure I'm going to compare catch % when we're talking about broken down Carson Palmer/Blaine Gabbert/Drew Stanton/Joe Flacco/Rookie Lamar Jackson vs Aaron Rodgers.
Scantling most certainly has a history of being a deep threat. Opponents ignore him at great risk of being hit with an instant long TD.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS continues to be unreliable and Brown gives the team that consistent deep threat they've missed while helping tutor MVS.
Why isn't MVS considered a consistent deep threat? In 2020 he's ranked #1 with 20.4yds/catch, whereas John Brown is #50 with 12.7yds/catch.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-yards-per-catch

2019 - MVS didn't have the requisite 30 catches, but his 17.4yds/catch would've ranked him #7. Brown's 14.7 would've ranked him #23.

2018 - MVS was #16 with 15.3yds/catch, Brown was #9 with 16.6yds/catch.

MVS is ascending, Brown is on the decline.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t imagine anybody saying MVS doesn’t have a history of being a deep threat. It’s quite literally his only skill as a WR.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t imagine anybody saying MVS doesn’t have a history of being a deep threat. It’s quite literally his only skill as a WR.

He was catching more intermediate throws towards the end of the season. I think next season will really tell us what we have with MVS. Traditionally, it's taken 3 years to see what a WR can do... MVS is progressing slowly, but there may be more to his game than we've seen. If we draft a WR early, I think MVS's potential gets capped to where it is now... at least with GB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is utterly false. MVS in his short career has literally been one of the if not the top pure deep threats in the entire league. We've illustrated this through tons of statistics which illustrate such.

I brought up Brown, and honestly am a fan of him, hence bringing him up, but stating MVS is not a deep threat is either choosing to ignore fact or letting your negative biasness towards him shine through reason.

Brown and MVS lined up at the same time with Adams is a defensive backs coach nightmare.....

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm wondering if he meant something else by that because it makes absolutely no sense.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is utterly false. MVS in his short career has literally been one of the if not the top pure deep threats in the entire league. We've illustrated this through tons of statistics which illustrate such.

I brought up Brown, and honestly am a fan of him, hence bringing him up, but stating MVS is not a deep threat is either choosing to ignore fact or letting your negative biasness towards him shine through reason.

Brown and MVS lined up at the same time with Adams is a defensive backs coach nightmare.....

Brown is ridiculously fast (4.34 40) and fairly well established. Adding him would definitely bolster our WR corps. I think that would probably push Lazard to the WR4, one of Funch/Lazard would be cut. It begs the question why a team just hasn't signed him long term though as their WR2. Maybe he's a weirdo. Or maybe he's just pushed out by younger talent... Which is I think what happened in Arizona... and probably Buffalo.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like the only players Green Bay will sign will be similar to what they did last year. Players that are cheap and won’t count against the comp picks. They are pinching pennies and are definitely not going “all in” with the salary cap the way it is. They are gonna use the draft to continue to build around Jordan love. I doubt they draft immediate help. I think there first 3 picks will be O Line corner and dl. Not mlb not wr. And Rodgers will be gone after next year

Status
Not open for further replies.