Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% could be worse, especially in the 5th. Lancaster is an extremely cheap, still somewhat young depth guy along a defensive front. Much rather have our depth built with the likes of him than UDFAs.

His signing doesn't change anything draft wise, you still most likely are grabbing a DL or even two before our 6th/7th pick out of our 10.
Yeah I mean it’s fine it’s a roster spot I just hope they get better. Idk if anybody else is thinking this but I think the guy they covet is Greg newsome. Another mark murphy northwestern guy. I mean don’t get me wrong it’s fine but I think that’s there number 1

D

Deleted member 6794

I think after 3 years and no much to show for it they can move on. Snag a DL in the 5th round and plug him in can’t be any worse..

There's no guarantee Lancaster ends up making the roster. The Packers could still end up drafting a defensive lineman on day three or even sign an undrafted free agent who ends up grabbing a spot instead of him.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no guarantee Lancaster ends up making the roster. The Packers could still end up drafting a defensive lineman on day three or even sign an undrafted free agent who ends up grabbing a spot instead of him.
Hopefully that’s the case! Lol

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy was trying to justify C. Patterson using up $4.75Mil of cap and was he worth it for the Bears by comparing '18 (without Patterson) and '19 (with Patterson).
https://dabearsblog.com/2020/how-much-is-an-elite-kick-returner-worth

Summary: "The end result is that kick returns have mostly lost their value, and thus kickoff returners have too."

IF Gute can grab a WR/RB in later rounds who can be a decent punt/kick returner I'm OK with him using some draft capital. To spend a higher round pick OR signing Patterson (or similar vet) doesn't make much sense to me.

If the Packers can get him for at or close to the minimum that would be a good signing he's the kind of role player, mainly special teams, that can make a difference

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They only problem is any guy they draft, either dl..cb or ot probably won't contribute much. I hope they get a stud dt..but it seems other teams find those guys and we get the guys that aren't ready right away. Why don't we ever trade for anyone? Every other team does it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They only problem is any guy they draft, either dl..cb or ot probably won't contribute much. I hope they get a stud dt..but it seems other teams find those guys and we get the guys that aren't ready right away. Why don't we ever trade for anyone? Every other team does it.

I don't believe that...

I think there's a decent chance they draft dt christian barrmore alabama at 29. And either nc state dt alim mcneil or usc jay Tufele. In the 2nd/3rd round. I think any of those 3 would be major contributors as rookies. Starting players

At cb I think they could get caleb farley vt in first or Eric Stokes, greg newsome,aaron robinson in 2nd. Amber thomas, shakur brown in 3rd. Trill Williams, olaijah griffen, israel mukamu in 4th. All could be starters as rookies possibly

OL they could get any number of day one starters...

Usc alijah vera tucker, tevin jenkins ok state, christian darrisow, in first. Liam eichenberg, wyatt davis, jaylen mayfield, walker little in 2nd. James hudson, quin meriez, brady christensen in ,3rd all could be day one starters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

They only problem is any guy they draft, either dl..cb or ot probably won't contribute much. I hope they get a stud dt..but it seems other teams find those guys and we get the guys that aren't ready right away.

The Packers have drafted Alexander, Savage and Jenkins since Gutekunst took over who had an immediate impact as rookies. It's true that last year's draft didn't add any players that had a decent impact in their first season but let's hope that was an exception.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watching what's left of the free agency top 100 on NFL Network. Still a lot of very good players out there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just watching what's left of the free agency top 100 on NFL Network. Still a lot of very good players out there.
And they are getting cheaper with every day that passes.

Reaction score
The Packers have drafted Alexander, Savage and Jenkins since Gutekunst took over who had an immediate impact as rookies. It's true that last year's draft didn't add any players that had a decent impact in their first season but let's hope that was an exception.
I agree. I think you can find immediate production through rounds 4, then it seems to wane with rare exceptions.
I like CB, OT or DT in round 1, WR, S or OLB by round 2-3 and you can get RBs, LBs or Interior OL all the way through rounds 4-5 that can win starting roles. Look at Linsley, Martinez, Jones as recent examples (although Aaron Jones got snuffed out by injuries early, they all started relatively fast though).

I wouldn’t mind signing a veteran OT on a 1yr deal. Veldheer played decent I’d be content if he would come back one more season if they can’t get Wagner on the cheap. Then we should go out and draft another OT inside Round 4 to groom.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You named 3 positions as possible round 1 then 3 more positions by round 2-3. That is 6 guys. They only have 3 picks through the 1st 3 rounds. My question is who do you prioritize with those 1st 3 picks?

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had stated that I wish the Packers could land Willie Snead on the cheap. Apparently a week ago the Raiders signed him. Does anyone know his contract details?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang. Any incentives? I believe he will be there #1 receiver this year and would have been # 2 in GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dang. Any incentives? I believe he will be there #1 receiver this year and would have been # 2 in GB.

If Snead is your #1 receiver you're in trouble. That might even be true for the #2 at this point in his career.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Snead is your #1 receiver you're in trouble. That might even be true for the #2 at this point in his career.

Not if he has 1600 yards and 16 TDs. That's kind of tongue in cheek because I know what you are saying. I thought Snead might have been an OK option when he was coming out of NO three years ago but now I don't see him with any more upside than Funchess.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time will tell. But going from L. Jackson to D. Carr as a WR is an upgrade. Going to A. Rodgers big upgrade. I am still hoping they sign J. McKinnon on the cheap. I could live with Rex Burkhead or Wayne Gallman also. If they got one of these guys on a value deal they could wait until the 6th round to draft a pass catching/gadget type/KR/swiss knife type of guy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised if Dennis Kelly wasn't in consideration. He played really well at RT when LaFluer was in Tennessee

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what his number would be.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Gute creates additional cap space by canning Lowry and or Josh Jackson, there won't be the space to sign any meaningful free agents. Maybe restructuring Rodgers or extending Adans could free up some cash but it looks like those two scenarios are not happening anytime soon.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured as much but one can only hope. So I'm going to assume there's an open competition in camp between Patrick Taylor, Mike Weber, and Dexter Williams for the #3 back spot. I'd rather they not "waste" a pick on a RB late in the Draft.

What the Packers have going for them though in the case of Bernard is that the Bengals screwed him over and the market for him is thin to say the least. Vet minimum might work in this particular scenario, and we know he wants to play for a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.