Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw something interesting yesterday. I was reading a mock where the thought behind each pick was explained. The guy picking for GB said he expects the defense to play a 5-1-5. The 3 lineman with their hands on the ground. The 2 OLB/Edge guys close to if not on the line of scrimmage, 1 LB and 5 DBs.
Thoughts?
This is good explanation of Baltimore's 5-1-5, GB may have some of the front 5 personnel but not sure that we've got the 1-5 on the back end (or will have after this draft). https://mgoblog.com/content/neck-sharpies-ravens-5-1-5-defense

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not at all; but it would be a miracle for them to go from rookie to KJ Wright or Jurrell Casey in one off-season.
PFF scored Casey 4 points better than Keke for 2020 season.

I’m not sure how much credibility PFF has though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw something interesting yesterday. I was reading a mock where the thought behind each pick was explained. The guy picking for GB said he expects the defense to play a 5-1-5. The 3 lineman with their hands on the ground. The 2 OLB/Edge guys close to if not on the line of scrimmage, 1 LB and 5 DBs.
Thoughts?
1st round or 2nd round pick would have to be a DL and probably one more in the draft. Or play all 3 of our established Edge guys. Then hold your breath that we have enough front 5 depth.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF scored Casey 4 points better than Keke for 2020 season.

I’m not sure how much credibility PFF has though.

I tend to look at them as a reliable way to gauge player tiers. Also, they're the only professional scouting service that makes their grades available to the public that I know of. I always get a chuckle from fans that pretend to know more when the chances of them watching every play for every player is pretty much nil.

Also, I'm surprised at the closeness of those scores but the dline still needs at least guys so Casey would still be an upgrade on the dline.

Edit: I forgot Casey only played 3 games last season because of a torn bicep so the grade isn't that shocking.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gone.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Probably Gone.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ervin was alright when healthy..but they could definitely get better there.
I hope they at least get a dt in free agency..even if it means bringing back Snacks..would love to see Reed though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gone.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corderelle Patterson has hinted at interest in the Packers. He would be a HUGE get for us. He would breath life into the return game, and be a much better replacement in the Tyler Ervin role on offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Possibly. Have to ask him that. Would have preferred to spend Lewis' money on Patterson instead.

I would have been fine with spending at least part of Lewis' salary on Patterson. With that being said I would prefer a returner capable of handling both kickoff and punts though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't dislike Patterson, but I don't like having a guy that truly his real only contributable value is returning. Give me a RB or WR with returning chops preferrably. Preferred even more is a rookie contract draftee with such. :D In a perfect world.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Other than kick-off returns he contributed absolutely nothing last year for DA Bears.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are vastly underrated what Patterson does for an offense. Having to only gain 20 yards to be in FG range or 50 to 60 for a TD is vastly different than having to gain 80 every single drive or get 50 yards just to get into FG range...

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on last years stats Patterson would on the average add 10 yds. per kick-off return. So who is this new kicker who will be making 65 yarders?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Other than kick-off returns he contributed absolutely nothing last year for DA Bears.

I would definitely kick the tires on this guy. Matt LaFleur has shown he can get production from gadget players like this, in addition to what you can get out of him on ST.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have been fine with spending at least part of Lewis' salary on Patterson. With that being said I would prefer a returner capable of handling both kickoff and punts though.

Yeah, I had Lewis down for 1 year $2M.
Still a good signing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Depending on the price, I would love to have C. Patterson in Green Bay. The guy has averaged 1 Kickoff return for a TD every season and you really don't know when he is just going to break one. Given the crap returners that the Packers have had for far too long, I would love this. I would no longer be yelling "down it in the endzone!" and/or "just don't fumble!" His career average is 30 yds/return. While I wouldn't call him a super dynamic player on offense, he does add versatility but more important, depth in a pinch. As some have alluded to, he hinted that he would come to Green Bay by liking a fans tweet about that idea.

Did Cordarrelle Patterson leave a hint about where he’ll be playing in 2021? (usatoday.com)

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on last years stats Patterson would on the average add 10 yds. per kick-off return. So who is this new kicker who will be making 65 yarders?

You realize he routinely returns kicks out past the 40 right? I doubt we had even 1 such return last season.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't dislike Patterson, but I don't like having a guy that truly his real only contributable value is returning. Give me a RB or WR with returning chops preferrably. Preferred even more is a rookie contract draftee with such. :D In a perfect world.

He could play the Ervin role.

If they don’t draft a returner, he’d be a good post draft option.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be talked into re-visiting it post draft. Look I live in Chicago so I see a lot of Bears games When Cohen went down they tried to incorporate Patterson in the offense in all kinds of ways. No success at all.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You realize he routinely returns kicks out past the 40 right? I doubt we had even 1 such return last season.
Without good blocking? IMO, our returns blocking has been terrible for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.