Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I could be talked into re-visiting it post draft. Look I live in Chicago so I see a lot of Bears games When Cohen went down they tried to incorporate Patterson in the offense in all kinds of ways. No success at all.

Of course, you are talking about the Chicago offense too. So not really a good comparison. I think he was more effective in New England and as a WR in Minnesota. I wouldn't expect him to be an offensive beast, but you get capable depth at both WR and RB, so whatever he does on offense is gravy. Hell, he might have been the Packers #4 or 5 WR last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Without good blocking? IMO, our returns blocking has been terrible for years now.

Except for Crosby, I would agree that our special teams stunk from coach all the way down. But I also think the guys they had returning both punts and kicks were just plain terrible. Not just in their skill sets, but their decision making abilities as well. Let's hope 3rd time is a charm on ST coach.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point taken. I just see a lot of WR depth in this draft. 5th, 6th, round.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be talked into re-visiting it post draft. Look I live in Chicago so I see a lot of Bears games When Cohen went down they tried to incorporate Patterson in the offense in all kinds of ways. No success at all.

Chicago didn’t have a lot of success on offense for multiple reasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I had Lewis down for 1 year $2M.
Still a good signing.

I like the Packers re-signed Lewis as well. Depending on how the contract is structured it might end up being a bit expensive though.

You realize he routinely returns kicks out past the 40 right? I doubt we had even 1 such return last season.

FYI, the Bears started a total of only two drives beyond their own 40 yard line after a return by Patterson last season.

GophersAndPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Based on last years stats Patterson would on the average add 10 yds. per kick-off return. So who is this new kicker who will be making 65 yarders?"

It's not the average that matters, it's when he gets a 30 or 40 yarder every now and then.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy was trying to justify C. Patterson using up $4.75Mil of cap and was he worth it for the Bears by comparing '18 (without Patterson) and '19 (with Patterson).
https://dabearsblog.com/2020/how-much-is-an-elite-kick-returner-worth

Summary: "The end result is that kick returns have mostly lost their value, and thus kickoff returners have too."

IF Gute can grab a WR/RB in later rounds who can be a decent punt/kick returner I'm OK with him using some draft capital. To spend a higher round pick OR signing Patterson (or similar vet) doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This guy was trying to justify C. Patterson using up $4.75Mil of cap and was he worth it for the Bears by comparing '18 (without Patterson) and '19 (with Patterson).
https://dabearsblog.com/2020/how-much-is-an-elite-kick-returner-worth

Summary: "The end result is that kick returns have mostly lost their value, and thus kickoff returners have too."

IF Gute can grab a WR/RB in later rounds who can be a decent punt/kick returner I'm OK with him using some draft capital. To spend a higher round pick OR signing Patterson (or similar vet) doesn't make much sense to me.

While I agree with what you are saying about it would be better to "do it cheaper", can you? I mean honestly, when was the last time the Packers had a decent kickoff guy? While you are also correct that in some cases their importance is nullified by the other team saying "F It, that guy is too good, kick it out of the endzone", the Packers had the opposite problem last year. Teams seemed to intentionally kick it high and short, forcing our returner to do something other than to be able to FC it in the EZ.

I think what the Bears paid Patterson was too much ($5M/year) but at $2M per, I would much rather have him as your return guy, #4/5 WR and #3/4 RB. Find me a mid to late round rookie that can do all that, because lately the Packers haven't been able to.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lancaster is the WORST DT in the league.... why tf did they do that!? It was the best news I heard they didn’t tender him. Now they resign him. He absolutely BLOWS d**k!! He isn’t even worth the bare minimum contract.... sighhh

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lancaster is the WORST DT in the league.... why tf did they do that!? It was the best news I heard they didn’t tender him. Now they resign him. He absolutely BLOWS d**k!! He isn’t even worth the bare minimum contract.... sighhh

While I agree with you that Lancaster isn't of much value, I am guessing that this was a pretty low end, little guaranteed contract for insurance/depth purposes only. Him making the actual 52 man roster would scare me more, unless of course he really developed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Overeactions, overcharacterization of the player....60+ rated PFF grade, and a depth type dude. How about we all just breathe till the cost of this is released.

My Lord some of you are vastly too quick to be absurd...he may not even make the roster by end of cuts.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention along the DL:

Rookie Drafted < Rookie Drafted + Tyler Lancaster signed cheap.

Details of that last word is crucial on whether I'll be a fan or not of the move but the equation above would still be true.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not to mention along the DL:

Rookie Drafted < Rookie Drafted + Tyler Lancaster signed cheap.

Details of that last word is crucial on whether I'll be a fan or not of the move but the equation above would still be true.

Agreed. I am more curious as to what is going on with Lowry. After King was resigned, the DL became the #1 priority IMO. They may have to use one of their first 2 picks, as well as a FA signing and then the questions with Lowry and Lancaster can be addressed. But I will take Lancaster for near Vet Min. over what Lowry is scheduled to make, as long as they can find better players, which seems to be the big IF.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I am more curious as to what is going on with Lowry. After King was resigned, the DL became the #1 priority IMO. They may have to use one of their first 2 picks, as well as a FA signing and then the questions with Lowry and Lancaster can be addressed. But I will take Lancaster for near Vet Min. over what Lowry is scheduled to make, as long as they can find better players, which seems to be the big IF.

Lowry's contract pi**** me off, I've shared that many times. Not that I dislike what he can provide, but that I 100% believe his 2021 cost is asinine to pay a guy we basically have seen his ceiling on and it isn't worth that much.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lowry's contract pi**** me off, I've shared that many times. Not that I dislike what he can provide, but that I 100% believe his 2021 cost is asinine to pay a guy we basically have seen his ceiling on and it isn't worth that much.

I hear you. He wasn't even a 1 year wonder when they signed him to that contract either. It was a head scratcher then and still is. I think it is what happens when you don't have enough young and promising depth waiting in the wings. M. Adams was a complete 3rd round bust and who knows what Keke can do. Clark turned into a great draft pick, but is now costing us a lot of money, so finding a cheap productive rookie or 2 could be the key to this defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I had to go back to the Lowry thread to remember what I wrote when he was resigned. I remember now, thinking that we got him for a TOTAL of $6.775M for 3 years, not PER year, as I later found out. At $2M/year, would have been a good signing. lol

I think that it was also the year they cut Mike Daniels before training camp started.

#Packers DL Dean Lowry's extension is $6.775 million/3 years, per source.

Personally, I think this is a great deal for the Packers if its true.

Lowry isn't GREAT, but he has been solid.

Now I am seeing this, so guessing the original report was mistyped and is $6.775/year?

Rob Demovsky
·
43s

It’s a three-year extension worth a little more than $20 million with a $6 million signing bonus, a source said.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Find me a mid to late round rookie that can do all that, because lately the Packers haven't been able to.
Imhir Smith-Marsette (4th?, WR/Returner), Shi Smith (6th round?, slot WR/returner), Avery Williams (7th?, slot CB/returner), Kene Nwangwu (7th-UDFA, RB/Returner), or Jeremiah Haydel (7th-UDFA?, WR/Returner).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imhir Smith-Marsette (4th?, WR/Returner), Shi Smith (6th round?, slot WR/returner), Avery Williams (7th?, slot CB/returner), Kene Nwangwu (7th-UDFA, RB/Returner), or Jeremiah Haydel (7th-UDFA?, WR/Returner).

I'm bookmarking this list and hunting you down if you fail me! :roflmao::roflmao:

Now go get it done!

Again, lots of variables would make Patterson a good signing or possibly a bad one. Every guy you listed would definitely come cheaper, except for the draft pick cost of course. However, with Patterson, you pretty much know what you are getting. So for me, it would come down to the price of Patterson. If I get Patterson at a reasonable price, I may still spend that pick on one of your guys, but more aimed at a punt returner, with a bright future as a WR.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you put cones or a potato sack out there on Dline it would produce more production than Lancaster... don’t make me pull up his stats if I can even find any...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd still rather roll the dice on a young guy than pay even vet-minimum ($1.075Mil) on Patterson, who we know is a limited position player (WR or RB). We'll have better players to fill the WR4/5/6 spot and RB3 than Patterson. Coach him up with the foot-out-of-bounds situation and touchback IF it's in the endzone (no more Ty hero-attempts) and see what the kid can do.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you put cones or a potato sack out there on Dline it would produce more production than Lancaster... don’t make me pull up his stats if I can even find any...

Many have listed them here and there.

PFF 2020 grade was 64.08
Played 353 snaps (34.4%)
22 Tackles 5 of which were solos
1 Tackle per 16.8 snaps
0 sacks
0 FF
Played in 15 games
Started 3

For reference of comparability:
Keke's same stats:
PFF grad 69.1
Played 416 snaps (40.6%)
21 Tackles 12 of which were solos
1 Tackle per 19.8 snaps
4 Sacks
1 FF
Played in 15 games
Started 9

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many have listed them here and there.

PFF 2020 grade was 64.08
Played 353 snaps (34.4%)
22 Tackles 5 of which were solos
1 Tackle per 16.8 snaps
0 sacks
0 FF
Played in 15 games
Started 3

For reference of comparability:
Keke's same stats:
PFF grad 69.1
Played 416 snaps (40.6%)
21 Tackles 12 of which were solos
1 Tackle per 19.8 snaps
4 Sacks
1 FF
Played in 15 games
Started 9
I think after 3 years and no much to show for it they can move on. Snag a DL in the 5th round and plug him in can’t be any worse..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think after 3 years and no much to show for it they can move on. Snag a DL in the 5th round and plug him in can’t be any worse..

100% could be worse, especially in the 5th. Lancaster is an extremely cheap, still somewhat young depth guy along a defensive front. Much rather have our depth built with the likes of him than UDFAs.

His signing doesn't change anything draft wise, you still most likely are grabbing a DL or even two before our 6th/7th pick out of our 10.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wish list
29- either a OT-CB-DL
62- see above
92-see above
135-either a 2nd OL- 2nd CB or WR
142-see above
173- see above
177- RB or ILB
212- see above