Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on Poker, you know what he meant.;)

Packer management clearly dropped the ball in the evaluation of Fulgham ...or did they?
There were some of us that argued that there was probably a reason he lasted only 10 days in Green Bay. Poor work ethic was possibly very noticeable to the Packer staff. This franchise looks for professional characteristics in its employees.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There were some of us that argued that there was probably a reason he lasted only 10 days in Green Bay. Poor work ethic was possibly very noticeable to the Packer staff. This franchise looks for professional characteristics in its employees.
Didn't he spend most of his 10 days in Covid quarantine? Probably didn't crack the playbook until the day before his return. Similar to a college all-nighter before the exam. He wasn't ready when he returned.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Come on Poker, you know what he meant.;)

Packer management clearly dropped the ball in the evaluation of Fulgham ...or did they?

That was the point of me posting what is being said about Fulgham and his quick benching.

At first glance, when he was lighting it up for the Eagles, it appeared that the Packers whiffed on Fulgham. But after seeing that quote and I think I read a long time ago, that due to Covid, Fulgham never even practiced with Green Bay, his personality might have been why he only lasted 10 days in Green Bay. Let's face it, I think a good portion of how well a player does in the NFL is his mental makeup. We are seeing it more and more and I think the Packer front office puts a high price tag on maturity and mental chemistry. Hard to argue with their results.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The amount of time that's been spent debating this flash in the pan UDFA is completely absurd.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so we should cut/trade Rodgers now and go with Love for the forthcoming season?
not now. they gave him that bonus. so after 21 yes. it will save them $22 million on the the 22 season that they're already $20m+ over the cap. if they don't the big cap jump in 23 will be effectively washed away. they've got adams and alexander to extend too. tonyan and others. they need the space desperately.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao... like it will matter whether or not they have Adams or Tonyan after they lose Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This whole notion of "dump Rodgers to save money" is silly talk if Rodgers continues to play at a high level, unless one very important thing happens first.
  • Love looks like the future franchise QB that the Packers thought he was when they drafted him.
Otherwise, the only other scenario that I see the Packers moving on without Rodgers is a drop in his play, coupled with a not so successful season(s). At that point the Packers might say to themselves "time to rebuild, get what we can in a trade and use the money elsewhere to improve the team."

All these people that have spent the last several years trying to convince themselves and others that it's time to move on from Rodgers are right about one thing, at some point that will happen. What they have been very wrong about is the timing and reasons for. I feel very confident saying that, since there isn't an NFL QB other than Rodgers, that would have taken the teams the Packers fielded to the NFCCG for the past 2 seasons.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the "dump Rodgers" talk isn't silly, there comes a time when the return on investment outweighs the keeping of a player. IF Love looks like the franchise-future-QB AND trading AR nets multiple 1st & 2nd round picks I would hope Gute makes the smart choice, long-term.

There are many former high-end QB's that were involved in that same situation: Joe Montana (after winning 4 SB's & 3 MVP's), Drew Bledsoe (to make room for Brady), Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Peyton Manning, Archie Manning, Kurt Warner, Favre and others.

AR has accounted for 10-15% of the cap for his last 2 contracts and will count approx. 20% for the next 2 seasons... so financially should be a consideration for GB.
https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

There are so many teams searching for some stability/talent at QB a blockbuster trade too good to pass up may not be far away.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole notion of "dump Rodgers to save money" is silly talk if Rodgers continues to play at a high level, unless one very important thing happens first.
  • Love looks like the future franchise QB that the Packers thought he was when they drafted him.
Otherwise, the only other scenario that I see the Packers moving on without Rodgers is a drop in his play, coupled with a not so successful season(s). At that point the Packers might say to themselves "time to rebuild, get what we can in a trade and use the money elsewhere to improve the team."

All these people that have spent the last several years trying to convince themselves and others that it's time to move on from Rodgers are right about one thing, at some point that will happen. What they have been very wrong about is the timing and reasons for. I feel very confident saying that, since there isn't an NFL QB other than Rodgers, that would have taken the teams the Packers fielded to the NFCCG for the past 2 seasons.

Some people are taking the drafting of Love as a definite sign that Rodgers is expendable and that the Packers already have a plan in place to get rid of him.

About as far as I will go in that regard is to say that the front office knows he won't play like Aaron Rodgers forever and they are making plans just in case that day comes sooner rather than later.

Do people think the Patriots would have kept Tom Brady until he was 137 years old if he wasn't still playing like Tom Brady.

To me the drafting of Love doesn't neccessarily mean the Packers are planning on moving on from Rodgers. To me it means that they are starting to think about the day when they have to move on.

Yes Rodgers won the MVP last year and if the Rodgers we saw in 2017, 2018, 2019 was the same Aaron Rodgers we saw in 2020 I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe Gute would not have drafted Love. As it was Rodgers was starting to show he just might be a mere mortal and a plan needed to be in place in case he didn't revert to the Rodgers of old. Now that he has, for one season at least, maybe he sticks around for a lot long than many people are thinking.

Does that make the Love pick a waste? I guess in some ways it does but insurance is always a waste until you need it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There are so many teams searching for some stability/talent at QB a blockbuster trade too good to pass up may not be far away

Right and how are those teams doing every season? So now you want the Packers to join them?

I get your point and YES, if Love IS the next Franchise QB, it makes sense. However, until such time he actually takes a snap or 2, its just people playing "if and buts games" with a lot if unknowns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Some people are taking the drafting of Love as a definite sign that Rodgers is expendable and that the Packers already have a plan in place to get rid of him.

About as far as I will go in that regard is to say that the front office knows he won't play like Aaron Rodgers forever and they are making plans just in case that day comes sooner rather than later.

Do people think the Patriots would have kept Tom Brady until he was 137 years old if he wasn't still playing like Tom Brady.

To me the drafting of Love doesn't neccessarily mean the Packers are planning on moving on from Rodgers. To me it means that they are starting to think about the day when they have to move on.

Yes Rodgers won the MVP last year and if the Rodgers we saw in 2017, 2018, 2019 was the same Aaron Rodgers we saw in 2020 I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe Gute would not have drafted Love. As it was Rodgers was starting to show he just might be a mere mortal and a plan needed to be in place in case he didn't revert to the Rodgers of old. Now that he has, for one season at least, maybe he sticks around for a lot long than many people are thinking.

Does that make the Love pick a waste? I guess in some ways it does but insurance is always a waste until you need it.

I agree, it was a smart contingency plan based on what was known at the time. It is now a year later, Rodgers won an MVP in a season where he looked really good. So now what? You reevaluate your plan and come up with another one.

This reminds me a bit of Favre's final years in Green Bay. There was a faction of the media and fans that just couldn't tolerate Brett anymore, so they wanted him out. Will Love be what Rodgers was, a way out? Stay tuned.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Yes Rodgers won the MVP last year and if the Rodgers we saw in 2017, 2018, 2019 was the same Aaron Rodgers we saw in 2020 I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe Gute would not have drafted Love. As it was Rodgers was starting to show he just might be a mere mortal and a plan needed to be in place in case he didn't revert to the Rodgers of old. Now that he has, for one season at least, maybe he sticks around for a lot long than many people are thinking.
AR's already talking about he & Shailene having kids...nobody knows if/when he'll decide there are more important things in the world than playing football? Gute is planning for the future... just wish he'd done the same at ILB and RT. :(

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
AR's already talking about he & Shailene having kids...nobody knows if/when he'll decide there are more important things in the world than playing football?

Again, just more noise to the story. I think if you look around the league through history, there have been plenty of married men, with children that have had successful careers. Come on people, we can do better.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, just more noise to the story. I think if you look around the league through history, there have been plenty of married men, with children that have had successful careers. Come on people, we can do better.
How many QB's since 1980 made major life-event changes after a 16 year career? I fully understand that young men get married &/or have kids and continue playing but we all know AR's slightly different than most people.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How many QB's since 1980 made major life-event changes after a 16 year career? I fully understand that young men get married &/or have kids and continue playing but we all know AR's slightly different than most people.

Again, much like "AR fights with his family, AR broke up with so and so, AR doesn't like MLF, etc." it just seems more like speculative noise than concrete facts.

There appears to be a faction of media and fans that just want to throw anything into the Rodgers Rumors and see if it catches fire or turns out to be true. This isn't new, its been going on for a few years now. I guess that is the price you pay when you are not just successful, but you have the attitude that Rodgers has, which to me is "Really? Keep talking people, you aren't phasing me one bit."

I might as well start the rumor "Rodgers has decided to leave Green Bay because he is sick of all the drama being there has brought".

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not now. they gave him that bonus. so after 21 yes. it will save them $22 million on the the 22 season that they're already $20m+ over the cap. if they don't the big cap jump in 23 will be effectively washed away. they've got adams and alexander to extend too. tonyan and others. they need the space desperately.
My crystal ball says after the 22 season. Is there really a big difference with the cap with that and after 21 or isn't there something that can be done to make after the 22 season feasible? But if we win 21 and 22 and he is still playing great; then you gotta go for 3 in a row no matter what imho. And then what happens when/if that happens? Others know much more about how the cap works than me.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, much like "AR fights with his family, AR broke up with so and so, AR doesn't like MLF, etc." it just seems more like speculative noise than concrete facts.

There appears to be a faction of media and fans that just want to throw anything into the Rodgers Rumors and see if it catches fire or turns out to be true. This isn't new, its been going on for a few years now. I guess that is the price you pay when you are not just successful, but you have the attitude that Rodgers has, which to me is "Really? Keep talking people, you aren't phasing me one bit."

I might as well start the rumor "Rodgers has decided to leave Green Bay because he is sick of all the drama being there has brought".

Its not just with Rodgers or athletes, it can happen to anyone. When your value to your employer is more dependent on how many people you can drive to a website rather than providing relevant and accurate information things go downhill fast. I have never been a fan of the media but I do remember a time when when honesty and integrity within were at least paid lip service and if someone was caught in a lie they owned up to it and suffered the consequences. Now, like you said, its throw anything out there and if its wrong no big deal and if it does turn out to be right its all "look at us we said it first." Another big part of the problem is the public wanting to believe it. I call it the Kardashian effect. Give me more info about our celebrities. I don't care if its true or not I just want the dirt.

As far as that last little Rodgers bit I had no idea. I can't wait to tell all my friends and post it on my facebook page.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not just with Rodgers or athletes, it can happen to anyone. When your value to your employer is more dependent on how many people you can drive to a website rather than providing relevant and accurate information things go downhill fast. I have never been a fan of the media but I do remember a time when when honesty and integrity within were at least paid lip service and if someone was caught in a lie they owned up to it and suffered the consequences. Now, like you said, its throw anything out there and if its wrong no big deal and if it does turn out to be right its all "look at us we said it first." Another big part of the problem is the public wanting to believe it. I call it the Kardashian effect. Give me more info about our celebrities. I don't care if its true or not I just want the dirt.

As far as that last little Rodgers bit I had no idea. I can't wait to tell all my friends and post it on my facebook page.
Dirty Laundry. We all know that crap is king.

Don Henley

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did it matter the year after Favre that Rodgers had Driver and Jennings to throw to?
Ok then ...let’s just agree with Gary and get rid of Rodgers... I’m sure Jordan love will be the next HOF QB. I’d like to be optimistic, but that is pie in the sky. You know better than to expect that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still hoping the Packers sign either Brian Poole or Steve Nelson at corner. I think Hayward would have been a phenomenal signing and I'm REALLY hoping the Packers aren't really stupid enough to be valuing having a big corner to pair with Jaire over having a good corner to pair with Jaire,as some have speculated.

I also think Jurrell Casey or KJ Wright would be significant improvements for the defense at reasonable prices. Casey would be a great addition to a dline that features only one quality player while Wright would finally be an advice average inside backer that this team needs with its suspect dline.

I'd also be happy if the Packers could sign Sammy Watkins at WR or Okung or Schwartz at tackle, so long as any deals for those 3 are pretty cheap. Watkins isn't significantly better than Lazard but the Packers currently appear to lack the personnel needed for any 4 wide receiver threats and none of the tight ends on the roster are anything more than possession guys. Okung and Schwartz are getting up their in age but you're not really relying on them for a full season, just until Bakh comes back.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still hoping the Packers sign either Brian Poole or Steve Nelson at corner. I think Hayward would have been a phenomenal signing and I'm REALLY hoping the Packers aren't really stupid enough to be valuing having a big corner to pair with Jaire over having a good corner to pair with Jaire,as some have speculated.

I also think Jurrell Casey or KJ Wright would be significant improvements for the defense at reasonable prices. Casey would be a great addition to a dline that features only one quality player while Wright would finally be an advice average inside backer that this team needs with its suspect dline.

I'd also be happy if the Packers could sign Sammy Watkins at WR or Okung or Schwartz at tackle, so long as any deals for those 3 are pretty cheap. Watkins isn't significantly better than Lazard but the Packers currently appear to lack the personnel needed for any 4 wide receiver threats and none of the tight ends on the roster are anything more than possession guys. Okung and Schwartz are getting up their in age but you're not really relying on them for a full season, just until Bakh comes back.
So you think Keke, Barnes and Martin have topped out?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw something interesting yesterday. I was reading a mock where the thought behind each pick was explained. The guy picking for GB said he expects the defense to play a 5-1-5. The 3 lineman with their hands on the ground. The 2 OLB/Edge guys close to if not on the line of scrimmage, 1 LB and 5 DBs.
Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.