Free Agent Considerations

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again with the defense. Every year for the past 5 or 6 years it's been the defense. Something has to change there. All 5 OL starters have played exactly one game this season. I will not panic about that.
the D still sucks so you have to keep going there. the o-line depth was so bad they couldn't use bennett the way they, and he, wanted. this caused him to suck and now he wants to retire. those are the two areas of concern for me.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you didn't read why I said he was having an impact. Tell me the last time you've seen Jordy Nelson so wide open in the endzone? How was our redzone offense last year? How is it this year? notice any change? It was probably increased by the fact we're playing back up guards all across the line LOL

You people ******* kill me. But PFF says........ Sometimes I wonder if people even watch games or just read stats.

BTW, i'll give you a hint, we're about 10% points higher this year and the best redzone team in the league, still. Despite playing 2 games with an abysmal performing back up QB. But it's probably all the back up guards playing that's been the difference. LOL
The offense obviously wasn't right for much of the season last year. It picked up at the end when Bennett wasn't around, and had been more or less the same this year with Rodgers in spite of Bennett dropping everything that hit his hands.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense obviously wasn't right for much of the season last year. It picked up at the end when Bennett wasn't around, and had been more or less the same this year with Rodgers in spite of Bennett dropping everything that hit his hands.
and yet the targets and receptions and TD's were almost identical between Bennett and his dropping everying that hit his hands and Jard set the world on fire Cook up until the Packers bye week. LOL

and people, like you, come on here acting like he hasn't done anything good for this team. LOL Jordy Nelson, wide open while 3 defenders crash on Bennett. must've been the guards LOL

and regardless, before this somewhat disappointing season for Bennett, nobody considered him a 2nd Tier free agent, which was the point.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
oh, I'd say Bennett was not considered a 2nd tier guy. Kendricks has the same skill set as Cook. Evans is a multi time prowbowler who looks to have a bit left in the tank and is having a fine year. Underrated if y ou ask me.

But what impact players should we have gotten? Has Graham been an impact player for Seattle when they gave away their best offensive lineman to get him? what's been the weakness of that team since before they did that? (hint: it's from the same group they moved their best player from) Is Gilmore an impact player for the Pats for his 40 Million guaranteed and 65 million dollar contract? Things happen.

Every year it's the same though, if a guy isn't a super star it's a reason to complain about the Packers organization. They never sign FA's until they do. and when they did, people were excited about the individuals they signed, but since things haven't gone like they thought, now those FA's aren't good enough. Never mind that all the ones they wanted earlier haven't panned out for their respective teams either, but they'll scan the list till they find one that "would have " helped us had Ted only loosened his purse strings a little and actually tried to make us better. Like they aren't always trying to make us better.

This notion that "This orginisation will NEVER spend money to improve." is false. Picked a bad year to make that proclamation. all these teams aren't better. I've actually watched more games this year than usual and so many teams are giving up yards in bunches. QB's that aren't that good. Injuries to key players that take them from very good to very bad in a play. Teams are so close that it is the playmakers that make a difference, but those players aren't plentiful. and it's not as easy as saying, see, he's good, let's sign him.

The guys I wanted "Conner Barwin" and "Mo Claiborne" have panned out. AJ Bouye ballin too who many wanted.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
the D still sucks so you have to keep going there. the o-line depth was so bad they couldn't use bennett the way they, and he, wanted. this caused him to suck and now he wants to retire. those are the two areas of concern for me.
Nuthin ever effin changes with the defense so STOP going to the well. TT hits on offensive players so in his last offseason or two, load up the offense. Let someone else worry about the defense later. If TT picks for the defense, you won't have either a defense OR an offense left when he leaves!

BTW, the OL depth was missing the top two or three backups early in the season and was playing PS players to fill the roster slots. I do not worry about the lack of depth if the 3rd string is on the field. Those are development guys, not pro bowlers filling those spots.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guys I wanted "Conner Barwin" and "Mo Claiborne" have panned out. AJ Bouye ballin too who many wanted.
Panned out doesn' mean improvement.

Connor Barwin has 3 sacks so far. Clay has 2.5 and perry has 3.5. Not an improvement in the pass rush dept.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All are second tier, depth guys. No impact players. Combined you wouldn't have one impact player.

That's mostly what teams get out of free agency.

Not going to find an impact player without spending way more than he's worth, which teams show over and over again it's not worth it.

The dumpster fire of the Giants is the most recent example.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season what a completely different opinion about the Giants FA spending, esp. the defense side.

Last season, their spending got them to a beat down in the Wild Card round to a team that didn't overspend.

Yes, it helped, but it sure didn't make them contenders.

Evaluating the signings now, they would be much better off with the cap spend since they seem headed for a rebuild.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HE'S

He's been drawing attention and blocking well. He'll come around in the passing game.
I don't read or care about PFF.

Fine. Would you care to offer some way to quantify production? Drawing attention and blocking well don't seem to do it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Marty B retires, I could definitely see TT going after Jimmy Graham. I'm not going to go as far to say he's underwhelmed with Seattle but he clearly isn't the player he was known to be in New Orleans; which I allocate to a scheme issue. The fact that there were trade rumors surrounding him before the deadline is proof of that. Graham is coming up on his last chance for big payday so Schneider may have been trying to "do right" by Graham by possibly giving him a chance to earn a big contract with another team if he had a great second half to the season, but if he remains in Seattle it won't be for anything similar to the $10M he's getting paid this season.

As an alternate(and probable long shot, but not as much as you might think), I also like Tyler Eifert. Yes, his injury history is terrible. But with the emergence of Tyler Kroft, Eifert will probably generate only backup level interest from the Bengals with the contract to match. Eifert is only 27, and when healthy(and if he can stay that way), he can definitely make our passing attack better, and not just from the red zone either. TT can most likely obtain Eifert for only a few more pennies on the dollar compared to the Bengals by adding the promise of a starting gig.

Two players I could also see TT possibly roll the dice on are Ziggy Ansah and Kony Ealy.

The oft injured Ansah will probably get some type of tender from Detroit, but it will be based off his inconsistent production and recent injury history. For the "right" number Ansah could be flipped to Lambeau. Don't get me wrong, it's sort of a longshot, but I just don't see Ansah just automatically inking up with the Lions. I expect him to make a few trips first, then make a decision. One of those trips could be to Green Bay.

Kony Ealy is a boom or bust candidate. The Jets probably feel like they could easily replace him so outside of a memorable back end of the season I expect him to be available. We could do a lot worse for additional depth along the defensive line....and who knows, maybe he finds a home on the team and takes off.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
With Eli Manning being benched I think Odell Beckham will leave New York in this upcoming off-season. I'd love to see him be able to play for Aaron, just cut Cobb to make room for him or something.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
With Eli Manning being benched I think Odell Beckham will leave New York in this upcoming off-season. I'd love to see him be able to play for Aaron, just cut Cobb to make room for him or something.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Duh, how can he leave?
The Giants picked up the fifth year option on Odell Beckham for 2018. The one year $8.459 million contract is guaranteed for injury and will become fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2018 league year.
Easily verifiable comments like this seriously hurt the concept of knowledgeable Packer fans.

Reaction score
I’m most concerned about our OLB and Perimiter CB positions. We need to prioritize that by getting one or both through FA.
We have a plethora of needs but if you turned those 2 positions into areas of strength they would have the greatest immediate impact.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nuthin ever effin changes with the defense so STOP going to the well. TT hits on offensive players so in his last offseason or two, load up the offense. Let someone else worry about the defense later. If TT picks for the defense, you won't have either a defense OR an offense left when he leaves!

Maybe the GB front office should reshuffle the GM/talent evaluation hierarchy. TT is the Offensive GM (if he doesn't step down because his contract is up), and GB appoints someone to be a Defensive GM. 2018 plays out, evaluate the results. This could be a league wide trend. Most offenses and defenses perceive themselves as separate units anyway.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was suggested elsewhere. I asked there how/who the cap split and draft choices are determined between the OGM and DGM. Still don't see how that could happen.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hell no !!

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m most concerned about our OLB and Perimiter CB positions. We need to prioritize that by getting one or both through FA.
We have a plethora of needs but if you turned those 2 positions into areas of strength they would have the greatest immediate impact.

Agreed. The offense will perform at an elite level as long as Rodgers is the starting quarterback. Just get a general manager and a defensive coordinator capable of putting a decent defense on the field.

Maybe the GB front office should reshuffle the GM/talent evaluation hierarchy. TT is the Offensive GM (if he doesn't step down because his contract is up), and GB appoints someone to be a Defensive GM. 2018 plays out, evaluate the results. This could be a league wide trend. Most offenses and defenses perceive themselves as separate units anyway.

That's a creative approach but most likely wouldn't work as there has to be someone making final decisions regarding cap space, roster spots and other things for the entire team.

I have concerns about how many seasons Rodgers has left. Two? three? There needs to be a succession plan.

Rodgers has repeatedly mentioned that he wants to play into his 40s. There's no reason to worry about his successor at this point.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have concerns about how many seasons Rodgers has left. Two? three? There needs to be a succession plan.

I think Rodgers has four more years of elite MVP-level play. If management was proactive instead of reactive, they would shore up the offensive skill positions with veterans for the next few seasons, re-sign Adams, and target blue chippers along the O-Line. I have to say Dallas got it right when building the offense for Romo, he just was broken down like Officer Murphy before he became Robocop. I think LT, LG, and Center is set. I would target blue chippers @ RT and RG. Rodgers must be protected if the window is to remain open. The defense is fine, they just need to focus on a defensive scheme is sustainable. 2-4-5 doesn't work, Psycho, Hydro, Nitro, Toto, Pluto...whatever, don't get cute, and establish a true defensive identity.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a creative approach but most likely wouldn't work as there has to be someone making final decisions regarding cap space, roster spots and other things for the entire team.

I think that's where Mark Murphy or someone of his ilk should step in and provide that clarity. I'm not gonna get into cap split, cap allocation, blah blah blah. But with two GMs, focusing on defense and offense respectively, allows for a better concentration of resources. Many times a GM has been fired, and the unit that was successful due to his picks, suffered the next season. I do agree, there should be a final "voice", but that's when one of the suits up in the suites needs to earn their money.