1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

[FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as GM

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Ted Thompson's NFL career:
    Houston Oilers, 1975-'84 - Linebacker.
    Signed by Bum Phillips as non-drafted free agent out of Southern Methodist University.
    Played in 146 of 147 games over 10-year NFL career.
    Green Bay Packers, 1992-'99 - Assistant director of pro personnel (1992), director of pro personnel (1993-'97) and director of player personnel (1997-'99).
    Seattle Seahawks, 2000-'04 - Vice president of football operations

porky's questioning of the contract got me to look this up and I read a bit of it and thought I'd share it.
    I question if Sherman still backs the decision of hiring Ted now?

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    probably not. Who backs a decision that ended up with you getting fired?

Who says, "yeah, that was a good move." lol. Even if it was the right one. poor sherm.

3. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay a 5 year deal. I would assume year 5 is an optional year for Green Bay too pickup. None the less 3-4 years is what a GM needs. If Thompson has this team winning, I bet he get an long term deal. If not then I could see him getting fired. Actually the guy who hired TT is no longer the team president. Ironic Thompson fires Sherman who he brought in and in 2 years, the same could be done too him.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    nah, the new owner man will honor that. he seems the type.

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Re: [FLASHBACK] Packers sign Thompson to five-year deal as G

I didn't think they had 'option' years on GM's.

I address the same question in another thread about Ted having the same thing happen to him, POTENTIALLY.

6. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

They do for coaches and if coaches can be GM's so... I'm not sure. If this team is 4-12 in 2007 then I think he's gone. Once again TT better watch Rodgers carefully as his job is probably tied to him.

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

If we can get Brady Quinn next years draft, what do you think we do? Draft'em? or pass because we have Rodgers.

8. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Pass.

I think a RB would be the choice if we get #1 pick.

9. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

Oh, I'm sorry AADP. I was asking knowledge Packer fans.

:p heh Got PM?

10. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    lol zero.

I honestly don't think from a specific standpoint that having Quinn and Hawk on the same team would be good. Sure Quinn and Hawk will be brother-in-laws, but the thing is if Hawk's marriage breaks apart and they get divorced, that would make things VERY wierd between the two.

11. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

Yep. I thought about that when I posted it and here's an article with similar situation.
    JASON TAYLOR'S WIFE FILES FOR DIVORCE

In a development that could create a strange dynamic in the Miami Dolphins' locker room during the 2006 season, Greg Bedard of the Palm Beach Post reports that the wife of defensive end Jason Taylor has filed for divorce. Taylor's wife is also the sister of Dolphins middle linebacker Zach Thomas.

Bedard reports that Taylor has not responded to his wife's petition for divorce. Citing unnamed sources, Bedard also reports that the Taylors are attempting to reconcile. The couple has three young children.

"My wife and I love each other very much and with our focus being on our children, we would like to keep this as a personal matter," Jason Taylor said in a statement. "We appreciate everyone's respect for our privacy."

Thomas and Taylor have been teammates since 1997. Thomas is under contract through 2008, and Taylor through 2009.

It's got the potential to be a huge mess, in our view, if the Taylors can't reconcile and if the proceedings become contentious.

Think of it this way -- how awkward would it be this season in the Giants' locker room if Michael Strahan's estranged wife had a brother on the team?

12. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

It's hard to pass on a guy who was developed by Charlie Weis and Weis developed the best QB this decade has seen currently. If Thompson believes in Rodgers and has liked what he’s seen then you pass. If it was me, I’d probably take him. Rodgers never impressed me in college or any of his workouts. He hasn’t as a Packer yet either.

If I'm GB, I might be hard to pass Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson if they enter. I'd also think strong about Joe Thomas and move Tauscher inside to RG. I have a good hunch GB looks to add to the line and Running game next year with the Draft and Free Agency. D-Line could use some bulk too.

People realize TT has added over 20 players in 2 years with the Draft and he's added Pickett and Woodson and we still have money for next year. Young team with potential and a futuer HOF QB is what I see. That potential needs to step up if we're to win this season.

13. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Draft him.

I am still in the "give Rodgers a chance" camp (after all, it is hard to judge a guy based on 4 preseason games behind a garbage o-line in his rookie year). However, I personally believe Quinn is going to have a phenomenal career in the NFL. Draft him, and let the best man lead the Pack.

Then again, I am probably biased being a Notre Dame fan. :wink:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

14. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

Unless of course you get 6million + to go along with the firing :lol:

AADP.....yes you take Brady Quinn if you get a shot at him.

15. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0

I'm not sure I pass up the RB's that have so much potential in next years draft. I think with Green on the downside of his career, Davenport not being able to stay healthy, and Gado not getting this new scheme fast enough for my liking, I would think a RB would be a need next year.

My choice would be Adrian Peterson. That guy had a sub par year because of the bad o-line and inexerienced QB he had to work with. He has all the tools to be a damn fine back, the speed, power, and field vision. IMO in a zone blocking system, AP would do great things with having to make one cut and then just letting it rip.

Taking nothing away from Quinn, but if we draft him and A-Rod does pan out, your stuck. Your surely not going to get anything close to fair value, because teams will always try to low ball you. And how long will you keep both QBs on the roster? A-Rod will earn his incentives and Quinn will command a high salary as a top pick. Eventually a trade will have to be made, and I think its impossible to get fair value in terms of trading Quinn a couple of years after drafting him.

16. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Having two very capable QB's is not a bad thing. Yes, it is obvious you will let one loose (See San Diego Chargers) however you can get something for them as they are proven which is very important and it takes away some of the 'risk' you have from drafting a rookie high in a round.

17. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If I had confidence that A-Rod was going to be a topnotch franchise QB I would agree. They only come around every so often. Obviously I think Quinn will be one.

If we do go with a back we should trade down because after 2 years working with Charlie Weis, teams are going to be creaming their pants to get Quinn.

18. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    When you're rebuilding like the Packers are, you can never have too many young QB's. Draft Quinn, let him go at it with Rodgers and whichever one wins, keep and trade the other one. You can still get fair value. Probably a 1st day pick for Rodgers and Quinn probably higher because he's the most recent draftee.

19. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

With the OL, WRs, RBs and TEs we currently have, I don't think it's going to make too much difference who we have at QB. It may be better to look at quantity at the position moreso than quality.

As to TT's tenure in GB, I think it may be time for him to look into hiring someone who can assist him in evaluating offensive players, both free agents and the draft. IMO he's failed miserably in that area thus far.

20. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Here is where i strongly disagree. How has he faired. He hasn't even been here for 2 years and last years Draft Class looks very promising. This years Draft Class hasn't seen the field yet so it's a wait and see. As for the Free Agents. I think he had a very solid off season. Charles Woodson is the only gamble I believe we took. Ryan Pickett is a very solid signing. Ben Taylor for a year as well. Manuel is a solid run stopping safety.

The only flaw I see with Thompson thus far (still too early too judge) and that is he overvalues the talent on the offensive side of the ball. Ahman Green for example.

Would you rather have Ted spend all the money this year and screw the future just too win for Favre? If Favre retired a year ago after the Vikings game, I think a lot of opinions would be different. Fans think this team owes something to Favre. They don't and Favre doesn't owe anything too the team either.

21. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

C'mon porky we all want TT to succeed but "Last years draft class looks very promising"?

How so? I see one starter from that class, Nick Collins. That's on a 4-12 team. I see more value in this years draft but who knows. I think we may have 4 immediate starters from this class but alot of that is because of our lack of success in last year's draft, and our lack of replacing offensive linemen with any quality at all. Right now, if it weren't for Nick Collins, I would say that last season was a total waste of a year as far as the draft and free agency goes.

22. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Anytime a team can have 14 rookies between Draft Picks and Undrafted Free Agents make a team, it's very promising.

Last years draft also appears too be producing Junius Coston as a starter as well. Whitticker did start (though I think he could be gone) Mike Hawkins is pushing for a nickel or dime role. Brady Poppinga could be the eventual starter at SLB. Collins is a given at FS. Rodgers is the wild card. If he's great, the that Draft could go down as one of the better Drafts GB has had in a while. If he fails (which I think he will) then it'll be average.

So to recap

Nick Collins
    Junius Coston
    Brady Poppinga
    Aaron Rodgers
    SamKon Gado

5 potential starters from one Draft is very successful. Add the fact that Marvel Underwood will be the top backup at safety in the coming years and Montgomery as the backup DE. Hawkins as a Dime Back. Yes that Class is very promising..

Last years team went 4-12 not because of the rookies but because of the previous Drafts that had no depth to them and the 2004 Draft might be the worse in the last 15 years.

23. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Collins....that's it. If Coston was the answer we wouldn't have gone after Colledge AND Spitz, who apparently have the inside track at the starting positions. Poppinga is a special teams player if he stays healthy, borderline starter at best. We drafted two lb's in the first 3 rounds and went after Ben Taylor. Rodgers hasn't shown anything YET and Gado isn't even a member of that draft class. Underwood, Montgomery and Hawkins have shown nothing so far. Just because someone says they looked great at camp, last season means nothing. I think Murphy's injury really hurt this draft but it is what it is. If we could only get one starter out of that class in a year that I could've started I don't think you can call it very successful. Of the five you mentioned as starters only 1 will start this season.

24. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

I thought Roman would be the top back up. Collins, Manuel for starters and Roman and Underwood as backups with Romam obviously being the top.

Guess I'm curious as to how its fact and where it was printed or acknowledged.

I would have to agree that our Draft class is pretty decent. Last year and I think this year is going to be good as well.

25. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I did put coming years for Underwood. Roman isn't going too be here probably after this year and I believe I also read (someone posted it on this board) that if GB feels strong about Underwood as the top backup, they'd release Roman.