Five For The Defensive Line

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB will be a huge need next season, so I can understand drafting one in the early to middle rounds. Wouldn't want to go with Correa in the 1st though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans put way too much emphasis on sacks when it comes to rating a NT. What does the best NTs get in the NFL season? 6-8 sacks? That is less than 0.5 per game. Not that big of an impact over the course of the season. But a player who can repeatedly collapse the pocket and push the line of scrimmage into the QB will accomplish several things. He will take up blockers, free up ILBs, take away the QBs ability to step up into the pocket, and restrict him from stepping into his throws. In my opinion, a pocket collapsing NT will do more to shut down a passing game than a NT who sometimes sacks a QB. Now couple that with the fact that Reed is the best run stuffer coming into the NFL in some time, and he is a very easy choice for me.

Reed is my favorite pick for the Pack. If he is there, I would take him over every other player that has a chance of being there. The man is a force and is largely responsible for the success of the Alabama defense and some of the players around him. I think Ragland can attribute a portion of his success to Reed as well as Robinson. I think Reed will have a much greater positive impact than all those other DL picks being bantered about.

I heard the other day on the radio that Reed is playing at a pro bowl level as a run defender. Scout said he was amazed at his dominance against upper competition.

All this being said, I doubt he is available at the Packers pick. When I originally made my mock, he was being predicted mostly to be going to Denver as the last pick in the first. Now I see him being projected in the top 15. Anyway, it is looking more like he will be long gone by the Packers pick. He would be the one player I would advocate a move up in the draft to get.l

Exactly on a NT. NTs who live in the backfield, and have other great players around him, tend to get a few sacks by simply letting the other defenders chase the QB to him. A Nose pushes the QB out. Another defender stops him, and turns him back. That's when NTs need to be there still in chase mode. Gilbert Brown was amazing for a nearly 400 pounder, at chasing. Some NTs push and stop.... No sacks doing that, ever.

I liked Reed right away too. Even when Robinson was ranked higher, I said Reed was the one I thought did the heavy work. But I have a hard time not picking Ragland if he is there... It would be a real tough one.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans put way too much emphasis on sacks when it comes to rating a NT. What does the best NTs get in the NFL season? 6-8 sacks? That is less than 0.5 per game. Not that big of an impact over the course of the season. But a player who can repeatedly collapse the pocket and push the line of scrimmage into the QB will accomplish several things. He will take up blockers, free up ILBs, take away the QBs ability to step up into the pocket, and restrict him from stepping into his throws. In my opinion, a pocket collapsing NT will do more to shut down a passing game than a NT who sometimes sacks a QB. Now couple that with the fact that Reed is the best run stuffer coming into the NFL in some time, and he is a very easy choice for me.

Reed is my favorite pick for the Pack. If he is there, I would take him over every other player that has a chance of being there. The man is a force and is largely responsible for the success of the Alabama defense and some of the players around him. I think Ragland can attribute a portion of his success to Reed as well as Robinson. I think Reed will have a much greater positive impact than all those other DL picks being bantered about.

I heard the other day on the radio that Reed is playing at a pro bowl level as a run defender. Scout said he was amazed at his dominance against upper competition.

All this being said, I doubt he is available at the Packers pick. When I originally made my mock, he was being predicted mostly to be going to Denver as the last pick in the first. Now I see him being projected in the top 15. Anyway, it is looking more like he will be long gone by the Packers pick. He would be the one player I would advocate a move up in the draft to get.l

When I say pass rush, I don't just mean sacks. Not sure what others means but collapsing the pocket goes under the category of pass rush for me. Reed doesn't appear to do that. He's a great run stopper but he's a two-down player. Maybe that's worth a first-round pick, but it's a valid question.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly on a NT. NTs who live in the backfield, and have other great players around him, tend to get a few sacks by simply letting the other defenders chase the QB to him. A Nose pushes the QB out. Another defender stops him, and turns him back. That's when NTs need to be there still in chase mode. Gilbert Brown was amazing for a nearly 400 pounder, at chasing. Some NTs push and stop.... No sacks doing that, ever.

I liked Reed right away too. Even when Robinson was ranked higher, I said Reed was the one I thought did the heavy work. But I have a hard time not picking Ragland if he is there... It would be a real tough one.
Choice would be easy for me. I think Ragland looked better than he is because of Reed. I tend to get carried away on these evals. The more I think about a player the more I like. By draft time, in my mind, Reed will have deserved 3 Hiesemans and overall #1 pick and can perform emegency brain surgery in the huddle between plays.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I say pass rush, I don't just mean sacks. Not sure what others means but collapsing the pocket goes under the category of pass rush for me. Reed doesn't appear to do that. He's a great run stopper but he's a two-down player. Maybe that's worth a first-round pick, but it's a valid question.
Not sure what to tell you. His play that I saw was him pushing the line of scrimmage back consistently. They dont put that kind of play on youtube, only exciting sack plays. And remember, the more early down runs you stop, the more you put the offense in a passing situation, the more sack opportunities the whole team has.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you. His play that I saw was him pushing the line of scrimmage back consistently. They dont put that kind of play on youtube, only exciting sack plays. And remember, the more early down runs you stop, the more you put the offense in a passing situation, the more sack opportunities the whole team has.

Damon Harrison, one of the best run stuffers in the NFL, was an undrafted free agent for the Jets. Guys that stuff the run aren't guys that you look back on and say, "he was worth a first round pick". For dlinemen you need a guy that can apply some pressure on the QB in the first round (not just sacks). Sure, it's great to get the offense in 3rd-and-8 but then you take your first round guy off the field and replace him with a guy that can't apply much pressure and now the opposing team has an easier time completing the pass.

As for Reed pushing the pocket back, he did so but he did so in a way that doesn't translate very well to a pass rush in the NFL. He was physically stronger than most guys he played against and he also had a dominant guy in Robinson so he didn't face olines designed around stopping him. He doesn't show much in the way of any pass rushing technique. Just being stronger than the guy in front of you doesn't work so well in the NFL when it's your only move.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think if you don't like a guy's motor, 2nd. round is too high.

Not when he's as talented as Jones.

I don't see Reed being able to collapse the pocket at the pro level though. He's for sure a great run defender but because of his limitations as a pass rusher not my favourite choice for the Packers at #27.

OLB will be a huge need next season, so I can understand drafting one in the early to middle rounds. Wouldn't want to go with Correa in the 1st though.

I would be extremely disappointed of the Packers end up picking Correa at #27. I expect Thompson to draft an edge rusher to add depth to the position though.

Members online

Latest posts