1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

First Round swings and misses.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Packerlifer, Feb 6, 2014.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,464
    When one actually analyzes the Packers' draft history in the first round, you'll find that the higher the pick the worse we've done. Over the last 30+ years, AJ Hawk has been our highest successful draft pick. Our highest draft picks have been:

#2 Tony Mandarich (failure)
    #4 Brent Fullwood (failure)
    #4 Bruce Clark (failure)
    #5 Terrell Buckley (failure)
    #5 A.J. Hawk (success)
    #6 Rich Campbell (failure)
    #7 Ken Ruttgers (success)
    #7 Sterling Sharpe (success)
    #9 BJ Raji (success)
    #10 Jamal Reynolds (failure)

One could say that we should be drafting studs with our top ten picks, but based on Packers history, Thompson is doing better than anyone else.

2. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Drafting late doesn't make it more difficult to select better players? Here's the percents of bust by pick. upload_2014-2-7_9-41-4.png
    All you're doing is using hindsight to say who they should have picked instead. I could say that about all other 31 teams that didn't take Sherman before the 5th round or didn't take Brady before the 6th.

With comparing Daniels and Jones, Jones was 1st round and Daniels was a 4th and right now Daniel is better. I don't see how it matters that Daniels was picked later. If you look at such a small sample size of two picks and 50% work out, that's actually well above the draft pick success rate and not an argument in your favor.

Raji and Hawk have been solid contributors, not great, but solid and certainly not busts. Plus, the were picked right where they were rated to go. It's not like the Packers ignored their board and reached on guys. They could have also picked much worse players like Ernie Sims in 2006 and Aaron Maybin in 2009.

The expectation you have that most first round picks have to be very good players is extremely unrealistic. That's not the norm by any means.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +343
    Spot on!

4. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Word to the wise..dont say anything negative about Teddy haha.

5. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    word to the "wise"...that's pretty funny.

6. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Yes, yes it is.

7. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,464
    Actually, the moral of this thread is that backing up your statements with sound data makes the difference between a successful argument and a non-successful one

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Was thinking the same thing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +343
    This is my problem with a majority of Packers fans, at least the ones I listen to on the radio.

10. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    The biggest problem like many have very accurately pointed out many times, is that for some people their "data" goes back a few years or less. Packers suck because it's been three years since they won it all. What the H' is Ted doing?!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,851
    It isn't a majority, its a minority, but they are extremely vocal or 'type a lot' (?). I suppose you are talking local radio, out of the market I hear only NFL radio. Occasionally an anti-TT caller will get on the air and start with many of the arguments presented here. They are pretty much ridiculed or put in their place by the host. Its actually kind of embarrassing.

12. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +343
    Yes, and I probably should have stated that. The majority in the Milwaukee area are really clueless to be perfectly honest and not just when it comes to the Packers and TT but all Wisconsin sports. Their thoughts are usually very uneducated and offer no value to the conversation more often then not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Like the crazies I found today complaining about the Packers signing a no-name TE and not a better free agent like Byrd or Graham, even though free agents from other teams aren't available for weeks yet.

Some people cannot be argued with.

14. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    this

15. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,104
    Better yet: