First Round Recap

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Which picks did you love? Which did you hate?

Which one's surprised you, and which one's did you see coming?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Loved:
  • Trey Lance @ #3: I think his skill set and willingness to execute an offense without freelancing will make him a perfect fit for Shanahan.
  • Justin Fields @ #11: Hate to say it, but I think the Bears got a really good QB. He must have rubbed some teams wrong, and hopefully he flops, but he's a great QB.
  • Jamin Davis @ #19: I had mocked JOK to them, but I think Davis will be better. With his talent, guided by Rivera, he could be really, really good.
  • Payton Turner @ #28: Turner is an athletic marvel with as much upside as any defender in this class. We could be talking about Chandler Jones here.
  • Jayson Oweh @ #31: If there's a team capable of getting the most out of Oweh's immense talent, it's the Ravens.
Hated:
  • Ja'Marr Chase @ #5: Not the player, but the pick; adding skill weapons when you have the option to lay a great foundation at the LOS (and you need to!) is a no for me.
  • Penei Sewell @ #7: NOT the player-- they added a great player, by all accounts. But passing on Justin Fields when Jared Goff is your QB is foolish to me.
  • Zaven Collins @ #16: The Cards keep drafting these tweener types going back a few years (Deone Bucannon, Robert Nkemdiche to an extent, Haason Red****, Isaiah Simmons) and don't seem to know what to do with them. Collins is another one. He's an off-ball player in an edge rushers body (the inverse of Red****).
  • Kadarius Toney @ #20: Toney's path to success involves a really creative OC. The Giants have one of the least creative OC's in the league (Jason Garrett).
Saw Coming (beyond the obvious ones):
  • Travis Etienne @ #25: When I mocked the first round, I felt like Jax would be looking to add a weapon for Lawrence; after Pitts and the top receivers, Etienne struck me as the best pure offensive weapon in the class.
Surprised:
  • Christian Darrisaw @ #23: I'm not surprised that Minny took him, but that he slid that far. The rumors are that his commitment level to football is questionable. Hopefully he doesn't pan out for the Vikings.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which picks did you love? Which did you hate?

Which one's surprised you, and which one's did you see coming?

I kinda had an inkling that the Jaguars were going to take Trevor Lawrence but other than that had no idea.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loved:
  • Trey Lance @ #3: I think his skill set and willingness to execute an offense without freelancing will make him a perfect fit for Shanahan.
  • Justin Fields @ #11: Hate to say it, but I think the Bears got a really good QB. He must have rubbed some teams wrong, and hopefully he flops, but he's a great QB.
  • Jamin Davis @ #19: I had mocked JOK to them, but I think Davis will be better. With his talent, guided by Rivera, he could be really, really good.
  • Payton Turner @ #28: Turner is an athletic marvel with as much upside as any defender in this class. We could be talking about Chandler Jones here.
  • Jayson Oweh @ #31: If there's a team capable of getting the most out of Oweh's immense talent, it's the Ravens.
Hated:
  • Ja'Marr Chase @ #5: Not the player, but the pick; adding skill weapons when you have the option to lay a great foundation at the LOS (and you need to!) is a no for me.
  • Penei Sewell @ #7: NOT the player-- they added a great player, by all accounts. But passing on Justin Fields when Jared Goff is your QB is foolish to me.
  • Zaven Collins @ #16: The Cards keep drafting these tweener types going back a few years (Deone Bucannon, Robert Nkemdiche to an extent, Haason Red****, Isaiah Simmons) and don't seem to know what to do with them. Collins is another one. He's an off-ball player in an edge rushers body (the inverse of Red****).
  • Kadarius Toney @ #20: Toney's path to success involves a really creative OC. The Giants have one of the least creative OC's in the league (Jason Garrett).
Saw Coming (beyond the obvious ones):
  • Travis Etienne @ #25: When I mocked the first round, I felt like Jax would be looking to add a weapon for Lawrence; after Pitts and the top receivers, Etienne struck me as the best pure offensive weapon in the class.
Surprised:
  • Christian Darrisaw @ #23: I'm not surprised that Minny took him, but that he slid that far. The rumors are that his commitment level to football is questionable. Hopefully he doesn't pan out for the Vikings.

Low-key wanted Jamin Davis. I think he's going to be very good player in the league for a very long time. Minnesota definitely got a steal in Darrisaw. I was surprised the Eagles got a trade done with Dallas, but both teams got their guy and I think both were excellent picks. Didn't see Parsons sliding that far. Pittsburgh was silly to draft a running back over offensive line, but they got their Bell 2.0.

For those thinking we reached, the biggest reach in the draft so far has to be the Saints. Could be a good call though... definitely a weak edge class.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Low-key wanted Jamin Davis. I think he's going to be very good player in the league for a very long time. Minnesota definitely got a steal in Darrisaw. I was surprised the Eagles got a trade done with Dallas, but both teams got their guy and I think both were excellent picks. Didn't see Parsons sliding that far. Pittsburgh was silly to draft a running back over offensive line, but they got their Bell 2.0.

For those thinking we reached, the biggest reach in the draft so far has to be the Saints. Could be a good call though... definitely a weak edge class.

Intra-division trades are rare, but this one makes sense as they were collaborating to screw another rival (the Giants, who clearly were taking Smith if he was there).

Parsons basically ***** freshmen on the Penn State roster if the reports are accurate. He did not fall far enough-- again, if that's accurate.

It's easy to say that Pit was silly for not taking an OL, but there also wasn't another OL selected from that point out in the draft. So it seems likely to say they would have if the value was right. It's funny, two of the most common narratives around the draft totally contradict each other: "Team X needs to take position X" and "Don't reach to take a position of need."

I really like this edge class. There weren't any prime studs, like the Bosa's or Garrett or the WFT kid, but it's deep with high potential projects.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Intra-division trades are rare, but this one makes sense as they were collaborating to screw another rival (the Giants, who clearly were taking Smith if he was there).

Parsons basically ***** freshmen on the Penn State roster if the reports are accurate. He did not fall far enough-- again, if that's accurate.

It's easy to say that Pit was silly for not taking an OL, but there also wasn't another OL selected from that point out in the draft. So it seems likely to say they would have if the value was right. It's funny, two of the most common narratives around the draft totally contradict each other: "Team X needs to take position X" and "Don't reach to take a position of need."

I really like this edge class. There weren't any prime studs, like the Bosa's or Garrett or the WFT kid, but it's deep with high potential projects.

I didn't know that about Parsons... screw him if that's the case.

As far as OL goes, I have Jenkins and Cosmi ranked above Leatherwood, yet Leatherwood went earlier than most expected. I think both Jenkins and Cosmi are at least fringe 1st round prospects. However, I could see how a team would have the top two running backs ranked above them on their board.

Edge is pretty much exactly what you said. A lot of projects, no sure things, but it has depth I guess. Not super excited about any of these edge rushers. I think defensive line has even less depth, but I'm actually more excited about some of those players like Barmore, McNeil, Brown, Tonga, Tufele, Stills, Twyman, Nixon, Basham, and Williams.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jamin Davis went way earlier than I figured.

Kwity Paye had zero business falling to the Colts

With Farely back issues I honestly wrote Stokes off for us at 29 and while I still am unsure if I'd have taken him, I smiled when we did.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I feel bad for the wokesters today. Mac Jones (rightfully) going after Lance and Fields screws up their narrative. They’re going to have to drum something else up.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wow seriously?

Yes. ESPN has run for weeks on a systemic racism narrative because of the rumors that Mac Jones would be #3 overall, and Justin Fields was going to fall way down the board.

That desired narrative fell apart on them. But I'm sure they'll find other avenues for stirring up hatred and division with baseless speculation.

Reaction score
I didn’t think Zaven Collins would go top #16. I saw back of the 1st round and making it to GB’s lap.

I also thought Kadariua Toney would be in that late 1st, early 2nd. He would’ve been a great chess piece for the Offense. Thought he was a slight reach there at #20.

I’m wondering if our FO are holding off a bit more in Offense until they solve the mystery under Center. They may need to go after a few players to build around Loves’ strengths or even trade for another QB later on.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if our FO are holding off a bit more in Offense until they solve the mystery under Center. They may need to go after a few players to build around Loves’ strengths or even trade for another QB later on.
Good OT and good WR work with whomever is under center.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pretty surprised that smith fell to 10 and 2 other receivers were picked ahead of him, but then I remembered this the NFL and the NFL loves their prototypical player at all costs even though so many of the fail.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely love the CB we got at 29. Reach? Who cares.... he has elite measurables and played in sec. He will be developed...

Worst timing ever.... EVER!.....

The center pick also is my prototype. Big strong nasty..... a great move.

The wr in the 3rd is a great prospect also. With that stature as a rookie. He will develope into a real bruiser in the second level. Give him some trick plays and see how he handles it....

Overall I'd be stoked if rodgers wasn't asking to be able to leave. I still am super pissed GB brass allowed it to come to this. Unforgivable. They better fix this ****. Today was a good first step.

PackersonEastCoast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the first time in a long *** time, I actually liked our pick of Eric Stokes..

I don't get the comparisons to Ahmad Carroll I've been hearing, except for the track background.

Stokes is 3 inches taller, has better balls skills, played in much better competition (Georgia vs Arkansas), etc.

I heard some outlets wanting to pair him with Tre'Davius(sp?) White...

I mean the Top 3 CBs in the NFL are J'Aire, Tre'Davius and Jalen Ramsey.... no shot at Howard who's good but mostly got 1st team All Pro honors due to 10 interceptions

https://withthefirstpick.com/2021/04/02/bills-eric-stokes-top-target/

So if we have the potential for the top CB duo in the NFL in the near future, that's great.

D

Deleted member 6794

Majkowski started 16 games only 1 season. Never more than 9 any other year. Add Blair Kiel, Mike Tomczak and Anthony Dilweg to the equation. And the early Favre had lower completion % then Majik.

Sharpe only put up elite numbers in the one season Majkowski played 16 games until Favre arrived. In addition Favre never had a lower completion rate than Majkowski had during his stint in Green Bay.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Majkowski started 16 games only 1 season. Never more than 9 any other year. Add Blair Kiel, Mike Tomczak and Anthony Dilweg to the equation. And the early Favre had lower completion % then Majik.
I thought Dilwig had a chance to be good. Unfortunately, it turned out he had real small hands and if the ball was wet; he had big problems. At least I think that was his problem. Can be tough to hang on to the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sharpe only put up elite numbers in the one season Majkowski played 16 games until Favre arrived. In addition Favre never had a lower completion rate than Majkowski had during his stint in Green Bay.
Favre's 1st year, Majik was running a higher% when he got injured than Favre ended the season with. Sample size was small though. I thought you said Sharp had a good QB in Majik? If he wasn't good, you've proved my point. What are your feelings about john Kitna? He threw to Megatron his first few years.

Members online

Latest posts