1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

First 53 prediction

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by thequick12, May 19, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    There´s no guarantee the Packers will keep six WRs, we just don´t have enough information about it to be 100% sure, just take a look at the Franklin situation. If they do I think White does have a chance to make it.

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    Tretter is getting great reviews from a lot of people in the organization, but even the team can´t be sure about him being the answer at center as long as he hasn´t lined up in any meaningful snaps. I think the Packers do have some quality backups in Sherrod and Barclay, but other teams won´t line up to pick up somebody else being cut by the Packers at the position.

3. thequick12

thequick12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Doesn't take a clairvoyant to see we will keep 6 WR, just common sense. And if TT wasn't sure he was keeping 6 on the 53 he would not have spent 3 of his draft picks on the WR position. Adding to a group that already contained 3 locks Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and 3 strong contenders for roster spots Harper, Dorsey, White. So now as of today we have 4 locks Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams and five strong contenders for roster spots Aberdarius, Janis, Harper, Dorsey, and White. You really think TT will give up on 4 of those 5 guys ? I'd bet he keeps 7 over him keeping 5 and the chances he keeps 7 are virtually nil.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,104
    IMO it's extremely likely the Packers will keep 6 WRs but not a 100% certainty. I think Harper and Dorsey will seriously challenge Abbrederis and Janis for a roster spot. If I had to guess right now I'd guess one of those two second year players plus one of those two rookies will join Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, and Adams on the 53. But it's a wild a$$ guess at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Barring injury, there are probably 40-45 spots that are solid if one bothered to go through and count them. As for the rest, until I've seen these guys in exhibition play it's pure guess work.

For instance, the available college highlight tapes on Janis and Abbredaris show them doing a lot of body catching in the middle of the field. That's a non-starter in the NFL. There's no way of knowing if they can be quickly cured of this bad habit until we see them running over the middle with their backs to the threat of closing safety.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    It's highly probable the Packers will keep six WRs but far from a given. Injuries on camp could play a part in how many receivers the Packers will keep on the 53.

It's close to impossible to predict what is going to happen, just take a look at your prediction about Franklin starting the year on the PUP list just hours before MM's announcement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,476
    I agree that 6 is likely but not certain. There are usually three or four swing spots that go to guys who show special team prowess or flash raw talent or project for depth in the following season if some FAs are pending.

We have FAs pending at the WR spot.

Who ends up on the roster instead of being redshirted on the PS will depend partially on PS eligibility and whether there's a sense that a particular player will be snagged by somebody else for their 53 man roster if we try to PS him.

For instance Myles White is not eligible for the PS. He could be #5 or #6, with perhaps Abbrederis, while a couple of the other contenders including Janis could be redshirted without much risk.

Injuries, preseason games, then injuries. Too soon to talk about it in more than generalities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Recent interviews with McCarthy and Rodgers have revealed that Rodgers is being given more responsibility this year, without any specifics provided. Since Rodgers already calls the no huddle and seems to have carte blanche to audible (within the limitations of the personnel package as is always the case), these comments beg the question, "what more responsibility can he be given?" It probably has to do with a commitment to Tretter at C, a position where he's never taken a snap.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    I agree that Tretter will be the starting center but it´s impossible to know how that will work out as of now.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,476
    He'll be OK. But he may need some help for awhile calling the line.

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    I'm not worried about him being able to make all the calls. The guy played in the Ivy League and seems to be a pretty smart guy. It's more about the physical traits with him.

12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,476
    He may be smart but there is no substitute for experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Elite measurables, so, yeah, it really is about the calls.

14. thequick12

thequick12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    My prediction of Franklin starting on pup was going in the right direction, I should have included a "packers are notoriously cautious with neck injuries and he may not play for them again" if I didn't. But my base prediction was he will not be on the opening 53 and he will not be. And yes I should have included a barring serious injuries to 4 WR, the packers will keep six. And now if that happens I will be blaming you wimm because the injury thing goes without saying its the nfl.

15. thequick12

thequick12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    As for Tretter MM said he has all the calls down. It's a matter of seeing if he can handle 340 pound dlinemen when the pads are on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    Whatever makes you feel better. ;)

17. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I blame you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +228
    I agree. I'm hoping he picks up the nuances of his position quickly. He needs to be serviceable this year. He's going to lose some battles as he learns. I suspect the play calling early in the season will have a lot of quick developing plays to minimize Rodgers chances of getting blown up and give Bulaga and Trettter some time to get their feet under them.

19. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Rodgers Tolzien 2
    Lacy Starks Harris 3
    Kuhn 1
    Nelson Cobb Boykin Adams Abbrederis Janis 6
    Quarless Rodgers Bostick Lyerla 4
    Bakhtiari Bulaga Sherrod 3
    Sitton Lang Barclay 3
    Tretter Linsley 2
    Raji Boyd Guion 3
    Daniels Jones Thornton Worthy 4
    Matthews Peppers Perry Neal Bradford 5
    Hawk Jones Lattimore Barrington 4
    Shields Williams Hayward House Bush Goodson 6
    Burnett Clinton-Dix Hyde Richardson 4
    Crosby 1
    Masthay 1
    Goode 1
    Rettig
    Perkins
    Harper
    Dorsey
    Perillo
    Hubbard
    Thomas
    Clay

20. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Pretty much spot on with what I have, except for backup QB. I see no way the Packers don't keep Flynn unless he completely bombs pre-season. After last year's debacle, security will trump upside. It would be a PR nightmare if they dump Flynn for Tolzien, suffer another Rodgers injury, and then repeat the middle of last season again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +875
    Totally agreed.

We can only imagine what this team would have been had we kept several key players healthy who have been lost over the past few years to freak neck injuries, etc. Yes, all team get hit with injuries, but it's hard to believe that the Packers haven't been one of the unluckiest teams these past few years.

In addition to the key players that have been lost, how many 1st round selections have spent the bulk of their rookies contracts on IR? It's been ridiculous.

22. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +228
    As
    As good a guess as any but after camp/preseason games, we'll have a few guys on pup/IR, so there will be a few surprises for us on the opening 53 roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Meh, heard from a few guys who were at practice that Tolz was looking as good as Matt. If security is equal, you go upside. Not like anybody but NYG is banging down Flynn's door if we cut him.

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    No doubt the Packers have been one of the teams hit the hardest with injuries, but I don´t think all of it can be attributed to bad luck.

Taking a look at Football Outsiders´s adjusted games lost over the last four seasons only the Colts (378.0) and Giants (363.7) had more injuries over that period than the Packers (357.6). There are only two other teams which have lost more than 300 games to injuries over that span (Patriots - 344.6 and the Panthers - 332.5). Looking even closer it is pretty obvious that a lot of teams stay in the bottom half of the stat, while other teams end up in the top half of it constantly. There´s even proof for a coaching change having significant influence on injuries.

With all that being said, I was disappointed the Packers didn´t make any change to their strength and conditioning staff this offseason. While it´s fine to believe we´re in for better luck this season I don´t see any reason to believe in it.

BTW for those interested, the Bears have been the least injured team since 2010.

25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,556
    I still think it´s possible the Packers will keep three QBs on the 53.

• Agree Agree x 2