First 53 prediction

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah we will 100% keep 6 WR on opening day 53. So of theses four, two make the team Janis, Aberdarius, Harper, Dorsey. I think White is as good as gone as he got a chance to play last season and did nothing impressive with that opportunity. And I don't think its early to realize Franklin will be starting on pup. The packers are known to be one of the most careful teams when it comes to neck injuries. And on top of that it benefits them by saving a roster spot while keeping Franklin for injury insurance later in the season.

There´s no guarantee the Packers will keep six WRs, we just don´t have enough information about it to be 100% sure, just take a look at the Franklin situation. If they do I think White does have a chance to make it.

D

Deleted member 6794

We could be pretty deep on OL barring camp injuries. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson start the season with 7 OL again. Especially if Bulaga wins back his starting spot. Although I think it is more likely they'll start the season with 8.

Tretter is getting great reviews from a lot of people in the organization, but even the team can´t be sure about him being the answer at center as long as he hasn´t lined up in any meaningful snaps. I think the Packers do have some quality backups in Sherrod and Barclay, but other teams won´t line up to pick up somebody else being cut by the Packers at the position.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100%???? Wow, you must be clairvoyant. I would bet that Thompson isn't even 50% sure of that yet.

Doesn't take a clairvoyant to see we will keep 6 WR, just common sense. And if TT wasn't sure he was keeping 6 on the 53 he would not have spent 3 of his draft picks on the WR position. Adding to a group that already contained 3 locks Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and 3 strong contenders for roster spots Harper, Dorsey, White. So now as of today we have 4 locks Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams and five strong contenders for roster spots Aberdarius, Janis, Harper, Dorsey, and White. You really think TT will give up on 4 of those 5 guys ? I'd bet he keeps 7 over him keeping 5 and the chances he keeps 7 are virtually nil.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO it's extremely likely the Packers will keep 6 WRs but not a 100% certainty. I think Harper and Dorsey will seriously challenge Abbrederis and Janis for a roster spot. If I had to guess right now I'd guess one of those two second year players plus one of those two rookies will join Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, and Adams on the 53. But it's a wild *** guess at this point.

H

HardRightEdge

Barring injury, there are probably 40-45 spots that are solid if one bothered to go through and count them. As for the rest, until I've seen these guys in exhibition play it's pure guess work.

For instance, the available college highlight tapes on Janis and Abbredaris show them doing a lot of body catching in the middle of the field. That's a non-starter in the NFL. There's no way of knowing if they can be quickly cured of this bad habit until we see them running over the middle with their backs to the threat of closing safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Doesn't take a clairvoyant to see we will keep 6 WR, just common sense. And if TT wasn't sure he was keeping 6 on the 53 he would not have spent 3 of his draft picks on the WR position. Adding to a group that already contained 3 locks Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and 3 strong contenders for roster spots Harper, Dorsey, White. So now as of today we have 4 locks Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams and five strong contenders for roster spots Aberdarius, Janis, Harper, Dorsey, and White. You really think TT will give up on 4 of those 5 guys ? I'd bet he keeps 7 over him keeping 5 and the chances he keeps 7 are virtually nil.

It's highly probable the Packers will keep six WRs but far from a given. Injuries on camp could play a part in how many receivers the Packers will keep on the 53.

It's close to impossible to predict what is going to happen, just take a look at your prediction about Franklin starting the year on the PUP list just hours before MM's announcement.

H

HardRightEdge

It's highly probable the Packers will keep six WRs but far from a given. Injuries on camp could play a part in how many receivers the Packers will keep on the 53.

It's close to impossible to predict what is going to happen, just take a look at your prediction about Franklin starting the year on the PUP list just hours before MM's announcement.

I agree that 6 is likely but not certain. There are usually three or four swing spots that go to guys who show special team prowess or flash raw talent or project for depth in the following season if some FAs are pending.

We have FAs pending at the WR spot.

Who ends up on the roster instead of being redshirted on the PS will depend partially on PS eligibility and whether there's a sense that a particular player will be snagged by somebody else for their 53 man roster if we try to PS him.

For instance Myles White is not eligible for the PS. He could be #5 or #6, with perhaps Abbrederis, while a couple of the other contenders including Janis could be redshirted without much risk.

Injuries, preseason games, then injuries. Too soon to talk about it in more than generalities.

H

HardRightEdge

Tretter is getting great reviews from a lot of people in the organization, but even the team can´t be sure about him being the answer at center as long as he hasn´t lined up in any meaningful snaps. I think the Packers do have some quality backups in Sherrod and Barclay, but other teams won´t line up to pick up somebody else being cut by the Packers at the position.
Recent interviews with McCarthy and Rodgers have revealed that Rodgers is being given more responsibility this year, without any specifics provided. Since Rodgers already calls the no huddle and seems to have carte blanche to audible (within the limitations of the personnel package as is always the case), these comments beg the question, "what more responsibility can he be given?" It probably has to do with a commitment to Tretter at C, a position where he's never taken a snap.

D

Deleted member 6794

Recent interviews with McCarthy and Rodgers have revealed that Rodgers is being given more responsibility this year, without any specifics provided. Since Rodgers already calls the no huddle and seems to have carte blanche to audible (within the limitations of the personnel package as is always the case), these comments beg the question, "what more responsibility can he be given?" It probably has to do with a commitment to Tretter at C, a position where he's never taken a snap.

I agree that Tretter will be the starting center but it´s impossible to know how that will work out as of now.

D

Deleted member 6794

He'll be OK. But he may need some help for awhile calling the line.

I'm not worried about him being able to make all the calls. The guy played in the Ivy League and seems to be a pretty smart guy. It's more about the physical traits with him.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not worried about him being able to make all the calls. The guy played in the Ivy League and seems to be a pretty smart guy. It's more about the physical traits with him.
He may be smart but there is no substitute for experience.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My prediction of Franklin starting on pup was going in the right direction, I should have included a "packers are notoriously cautious with neck injuries and he may not play for them again" if I didn't. But my base prediction was he will not be on the opening 53 and he will not be. And yes I should have included a barring serious injuries to 4 WR, the packers will keep six. And now if that happens I will be blaming you wimm because the injury thing goes without saying its the nfl.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Tretter MM said he has all the calls down. It's a matter of seeing if he can handle 340 pound dlinemen when the pads are on.

D

Deleted member 6794

My prediction of Franklin starting on pup was going in the right direction, I should have included a "packers are notoriously cautious with neck injuries and he may not play for them again" if I didn't. But my base prediction was he will not be on the opening 53 and he will not be. And yes I should have included a barring serious injuries to 4 WR, the packers will keep six. And now if that happens I will be blaming you wimm because the injury thing goes without saying its the nfl.

Whatever makes you feel better. ;)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I blame you.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He may be smart but there is no substitute for experience.
I agree. I'm hoping he picks up the nuances of his position quickly. He needs to be serviceable this year. He's going to lose some battles as he learns. I suspect the play calling early in the season will have a lot of quick developing plays to minimize Rodgers chances of getting blown up and give Bulaga and Trettter some time to get their feet under them.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Rodgers Tolzien 2
Lacy Starks Harris 3
Kuhn 1
Nelson Cobb Boykin Adams Abbrederis Janis 6
Quarless Rodgers Bostick Lyerla 4
Bakhtiari Bulaga Sherrod 3
Sitton Lang Barclay 3
Tretter Linsley 2
Raji Boyd Guion 3
Daniels Jones Thornton Worthy 4
Matthews Peppers Perry Neal Bradford 5
Hawk Jones Lattimore Barrington 4
Shields Williams Hayward House Bush Goodson 6
Burnett Clinton-Dix Hyde Richardson 4
Crosby 1
Masthay 1
Goode 1
Rettig
Perkins
Harper
Dorsey
Perillo
Hubbard
Thomas
Clay

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers Tolzien 2
Lacy Starks Harris 3
Kuhn 1
Sitton Lang Barclay 3
Tretter Linsley 2
Raji Boyd Guion 3
Crosby 1
Masthay 1
Goode 1
Rettig
Perkins
Harper
Dorsey
Perillo
Hubbard
Thomas
Clay

Pretty much spot on with what I have, except for backup QB. I see no way the Packers don't keep Flynn unless he completely bombs pre-season. After last year's debacle, security will trump upside. It would be a PR nightmare if they dump Flynn for Tolzien, suffer another Rodgers injury, and then repeat the middle of last season again.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Some good luck for a change on the injury front I think would improve everyones outlook.

Totally agreed.

We can only imagine what this team would have been had we kept several key players healthy who have been lost over the past few years to freak neck injuries, etc. Yes, all team get hit with injuries, but it's hard to believe that the Packers haven't been one of the unluckiest teams these past few years.

In addition to the key players that have been lost, how many 1st round selections have spent the bulk of their rookies contracts on IR? It's been ridiculous.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As
Rodgers Tolzien 2
Lacy Starks Harris 3
Kuhn 1
Sitton Lang Barclay 3
Tretter Linsley 2
Raji Boyd Guion 3
Crosby 1
Masthay 1
Goode 1
Rettig
Perkins
Harper
Dorsey
Perillo
Hubbard
Thomas
Clay
As good a guess as any but after camp/preseason games, we'll have a few guys on pup/IR, so there will be a few surprises for us on the opening 53 roster.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Pretty much spot on with what I have, except for backup QB. I see no way the Packers don't keep Flynn unless he completely bombs pre-season. After last year's debacle, security will trump upside. It would be a PR nightmare if they dump Flynn for Tolzien, suffer another Rodgers injury, and then repeat the middle of last season again.
Meh, heard from a few guys who were at practice that Tolz was looking as good as Matt. If security is equal, you go upside. Not like anybody but NYG is banging down Flynn's door if we cut him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Totally agreed.

We can only imagine what this team would have been had we kept several key players healthy who have been lost over the past few years to freak neck injuries, etc. Yes, all team get hit with injuries, but it's hard to believe that the Packers haven't been one of the unluckiest teams these past few years.

In addition to the key players that have been lost, how many 1st round selections have spent the bulk of their rookies contracts on IR? It's been ridiculous.

No doubt the Packers have been one of the teams hit the hardest with injuries, but I don´t think all of it can be attributed to bad luck.

Taking a look at Football Outsiders´s adjusted games lost over the last four seasons only the Colts (378.0) and Giants (363.7) had more injuries over that period than the Packers (357.6). There are only two other teams which have lost more than 300 games to injuries over that span (Patriots - 344.6 and the Panthers - 332.5). Looking even closer it is pretty obvious that a lot of teams stay in the bottom half of the stat, while other teams end up in the top half of it constantly. There´s even proof for a coaching change having significant influence on injuries.

With all that being said, I was disappointed the Packers didn´t make any change to their strength and conditioning staff this offseason. While it´s fine to believe we´re in for better luck this season I don´t see any reason to believe in it.

BTW for those interested, the Bears have been the least injured team since 2010.

D

Deleted member 6794

Meh, heard from a few guys who were at practice that Tolz was looking as good as Matt. If security is equal, you go upside. Not like anybody but NYG is banging down Flynn's door if we cut him.

I still think it´s possible the Packers will keep three QBs on the 53.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts