First 53 prediction

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
we saw exactly what we had when Arod went down. Keep Flynn as 2nd. When it comes to game time, at least we KNOW he is proven. Tolzein is still to green and lacks real time experience to put him as our 2nd if Arod goes down.

D

Deleted member 6794

we saw exactly what we had when Arod went down. Keep Flynn as 2nd. When it comes to game time, at least we KNOW he is proven. Tolzein is still to green and lacks real time experience to put him as our 2nd if Arod goes down.

I agree that Flynn has proven to be a capable backup. I would hate to lose Tolzien though as he has more upside than Flynn. That´s why I would like the Packers to keep both of them on the 53.

While it´s highly probable some team would have claimed Tolzien of the Packers practice squad I would have liked the Packers to keep him off the active roster in week 17 vs. the Bears so he would still be eligible for it.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I agree as well, 3 would be good with the bad luck we seem to have. It would keep TT from having to shop the streets like last season and we all know how well that turned out......a big bite in the *** is what it was. Tolzein will be an asset in the fact that he will know the offense better than a street QB, but something about him just does not say NFL material or future GB QB to me......heck, he really does not have the look.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree as well, 3 would be good with the bad luck we seem to have. It would keep TT from having to shop the streets like last season and we all know how well that turned out......a big bite in the *** is what it was. Tolzein will be an asset in the fact that he will know the offense better than a street QB, but something about him just does not say NFL material or future GB QB to me......heck, he really does not have the look.

I´m curious about seeing him play in preseason games as I expect spending the entire offseason with the team has helped him cut down on his mistakes. I hope though none of them will see any meaningful snaps during the next few years.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh, heard from a few guys who were at practice that Tolz was looking as good as Matt. If security is equal, you go upside. Not like anybody but NYG is banging down Flynn's door if we cut him.

Looking as good in practice and looking as good in crunch time and game time are two different things. We don't know how Tolzien would respond if 2013 repeated itself.

I have yet to see any convincing reason that Flynn shouldn't be Rodgers' cheaply paid backup for Rodgers' entire career. Good for Flynn because it keeps him employed. Good for the Packers because it gives them reliability and consistency at backup QB.

Rodgers is only 30. It's not like we need a developmental QB for at least another 5 years or so.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A jsonline blog entry today by Tom Silverstein says Flynn's arm is stronger than it was last season.
This year, observers at camp might have noticed he's throwing the ball with more velocity. Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt, who is as honest with the media as any coach on the Packers' staff, said Thursday morning he's seen the same thing.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/270334021.html

IMO arm strength was the biggest knock on him last season so it's great news he's throwing the ball with more authority. That's even more important in McCarthy's O than some others in the league. That will make the hill Tolzien has to climb even higher. Interesting comment about Van Pelt being honest with the media - wonder if he'll get in trouble with McCarthy about that? :D

H

HardRightEdge

Don't forget Flynn was really struggling with an elbow injury when he got here last year.
Right. And he denied it at the time. Now he says he's pain free for the first time since he came down with elbow tendonitis in 2012 with Seattle.

Some of us conjectured last season that his quick exit from Oakland and less than a week in Buffalo (despite being down to their 4th. QB) had to do with this injury. Now we know. Maybe.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Right. And he denied it at the time. Now he says he's pain free for the first time since he came down with elbow tendonitis in 2012 with Seattle.

Some of us conjectured last season that his quick exit from Oakland and less than a week in Buffalo (despite being down to their 4th. QB) had to do with this injury. Now we know. Maybe.
It was clear to anybody with half a brain who watched the tape. His mechanics were a mess.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see Rettig play. He's the wild card here. I think it's likely that either Flynn or Tolzien would be at least adequate #2's. I would like to some day see Tolzien as a Packer's assistant coach.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see Rettig play.
Until they make a decision about Flynn and Tolzien, I hope Rettig doesn't get anything other than "garbage time" snaps in the last half of the fourth quarter. IMO Rettig's goal should be to play well enough to get to the PS.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd lay 20-1 odds Rettig will not make the 53 assuming no injury to Flynn or Tolzien.

Tolzien will need to do some surprising things to pass Flynn. While trying to portray the situation as a contest between relative equals has it's merits, we have, after all, seen both of these guys play in the recent past. Tolzien has a small mountain to climb, not a rolling hill.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction:

QB: Rodgers, Flynn & Tolzien
RB: Lacy, Starks and Harris (Perkins or Neal)
FB: Kuhn
TE: Bostick, R.Rodgers & Quarless (R.Taylor or Stoneburner)
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, D.Adams, Dorsey and White (Janis)
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, L.Taylor and Linsley
DL: Daniels, Raji, D. Jones, Boyd, Thornton, and Pennel
ILB: Hawk, B. Jones, Lattimore, Thomas (Barrington)
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Neal, Palmer and Bradford (Elliot or Mulumba)
CB: Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
S: Burnett, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, Richardson, Banjo
ST: Crosby, Masthay, Goode

PS: Perkins, Perillo, Janis, A.Adams, Tiller, Gray, Elliot and Rolle

TE: R.Taylor lost his spot over other special teams guys (Banjo and Dorsey). He might still make the team though.
WR: Dorsey is having a great camp + is a great special teams guy. He is #5 now in my prediction. We might keep a sixth receiver, although I am not so sure. Right now that would be White, although his special teams gaffes aren't helping him. Janis speed and size are intriguing, but he still has to show that he can run routes and catch footballs properly.
DL: Pennel has a great shot to make the team due to injuries. We might keep only 5 lineman however.
LB: I kept 10 linebackers here, which is a lot. There is a LOT of talent a this position. However Peppers and Neal can still play some D-line. I even doubted about a 11th guy (Elliot, or Mulumba or Barrington) but that might be too much.
DB: Banjo is solid 5th safety and a great special teams player. Goodson has a disappointing camp.

In/Out versus June 3:
In: Tolzien, Dorsey, Pennel, Thomas, Palmer
Out: R. Taylor, Abbrederis, Worthy, Barclay, Mulumba

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

My prediction:

QB: Rodgers, Flynn & Tolzien
RB: Lacy, Starks and Harris (Perkins or Neal)
TE: Bostick, R.Rodgers & Quarless (R.Taylor or Stoneburner)
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, D.Adams, Dorsey and White (Janis)
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, L.Taylor and Linsley
DL: Daniels, Raji, D. Jones, Boyd, Thornton, and Pennel
ILB: Hawk, B. Jones, Lattimore, Thomas (Barrington)
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Neal, Palmer and Bradford (Elliot or Mulumba)
CB: Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
ST: Crosby, Masthay, Goode

PS: Perkins, Perillo, White, Janis, A.Adams, Tiller, Elliot and Rolle

TE: R.Taylor lost his spot over other special teams guys (Banjo and Dorsey). He might still make the team though.
WR: Dorsey is having a great camp + is a great special teams guy. He is #5 now in my prediction. We might keep a sixth receiver, although I am not so sure. Right now that would be White, although his special teams gaffes aren't helping him. Janis speed and size are intriguing, but he still has to show that he can run routes and catch footballs properly.
DL: Pennel has a great shot to make the team due to injuries. We might keep only 5 lineman however.
LB: I kept 10 linebackers here, which is a lot. There is a LOT of talent a this position. However Peppers and Neal can still play some D-line. I even doubted about a 11th guy (Elliot, or Mulumba or Barrington) but that might be too much.
DB: Banjo is solid 5th safety and a great special teams player. Goodson has a disappointing camp.

In/Out versus June 3:
In: Tolzien, Dorsey, Pennel, Thomas, Palmer
Out: R. Taylor, Abbrederis, Worthy, Barclay, Mulumba

Didn't you listen to Thompson telling everyone it's unfair to the players making roster predictions???

H

HardRightEdge

I thought Tolzien played well tonight against the Titans. I know it's just one preseason game,
But I think he locked up a roster spot.
Tolzein is not eligible for practice squad and Rettig is obviously a long way from playing regular season football if he can ever get there at all.

Tolzien would have to be on the 53 man roster, short of a series of performance disasters. For him not to make the 53 we'd have to bring in somebody new for the roster or PS as the #3, and that's highly unlikely at this late date regardless.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated 53 with last pre season game left to play

QB (3) Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
RB (5) Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn
WR (5) Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
TE (4) Bostick, Rodgers, Quarless, Taylor
OL (8) Baktiari, Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Bulaga, Taylor, Sherrod, Linsley
DL (6) Daniels, Jones, Boyd, Thorton, Pennel, Guion
ILB (4) Hawk, Jones, Lattimore, Barrington
OLB (6) Peppers, Matthews, Perry, Neal, Elliot, Mulumba
CB (6) Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush, Rolle
S (4) Burnett, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, Richardson
K (1) Crosby
P (1) Masthay
LS (1) Goode

PS (10)
WR Dorsey
OLB Hubbard
+8 more

Rolle makes it over Banjo at DB but it could easily go the other way. Mulumba makes it over Hubbard and Palmer. Guion makes as 6th DL over Neal as 5th RB.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated 53 with last pre season game left to play

QB (3) Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
RB (5) Lacy, Starks, Harris, Neal, Kuhn
WR (5) Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
TE (4) Bostick, Rodgers, Quarless, Taylor
OL (8) Baktiari, Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Bulaga, Taylor, Sherrod, Linsley
DL (5) Daniels, Jones, Boyd, Thorton, Pennel
ILB (4) Hawk, Jones, Lattimore, Barrington
OLB (6) Peppers, Matthews, Perry, Neal, Elliot, Mulumba
CB (6) Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush, Rolle
S (4) Burnett, Hyde, Clinton-Dix, Richardson
K (1) Crosby
P (1) Masthay
LS (1) Goode

PS (10)
WR Dorsey
OLB Hubbard
+8 more

Rolle makes it over Banjo at DB but it could easily go the other way. Mulumba makes it over Hubbard and Palmer. Neal makes it at RB over a 6th WR. nothing else is really close in my opinion.
Imo, they would keep a 6th d-lineman over Neal at RB. I think Neal is definitely headed for the PS.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this same post in a different topic, but I will post it again in this topic. I made one change, since Guion is apparently practising.

My prediction for the initial roster (fat is a lock or looking good):
QB: Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
RB: Lacy, Starks, Harris
TE: R.Rodgers, Quarless, Bostick, R.Taylor (Stoneburner)
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis (Dorsey, White, Gillett)
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, Linsley, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, Taylor, Tretter*
DL: Daniels, Boyd, D.Jones, Pennel, Thornton, Guion
ILB: B.Jones, Hawk, Barrington, Lattimore
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Elliot, Palmer (Mulumba, Bradford, Hubbard)
CB: Shields, Williams, House, Hayward, Bush (Rolle)
ST: Crosby, Mastay, Goode
* might be on IR designated to return

QB: The question is whether Flynn makes the team.
WR: I'am not really impressed by any candidates for the nr. 5 spot. Janis is really raw, but has the athletic ability. Therefore they might want to protect him on the 53. Dorsey is probably the most polished one, and would be my front runner for the # 6 spot. Other candidates are White and Gillett.
TE: Taylor or Stoneburner, that's the question. Stoneburner has more potential, Taylor is the better blocker and special teams player.
OLB: Eliot played impressive and is my nr 5. The number 6 spot is a coin toss between Palmer and Mulumba. Hubbard also has shown some nice things. The only reason why Bradford might be kept, is because he is a fourth round pick. He hasn't shown anything yet. They still might want to keep him to move him inside next year.
DB: Bush is a important special teams ace. Banjo is a also good special teams player. Rolle is just a promising corner. My guess is that if we keep 10 DB's, Rolle would be out.

Last edited:

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this same post in a different topic, but I will post it again in this topic. I made one change, since Guion is apparently practising.

My prediction for the initial roster (fat is a lock or looking good):
QB: Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
RB: Lacy, Starks, Harris
TE: R.Rodgers, Quarless, Bostick, R.Taylor (Stoneburner)
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis (Dorsey, White, Gillett)
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, Linsley, Lang, Buluga, Sherrod, Taylor, Tretter*
DL: Daniels, Boyd, D.Jones, Pennel, Thornton, Guion
ILB: B.Jones, Hawk, Barrington, Lattimore
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Elliot, Palmer (Mulumba, Bradford, Hubbard)
CB: Shields, Williams, House, Hayward, Bush (Rolle)
ST: Crosby, Mastay, Goode
* might be on IR designated to return

QB: The question is whether Flynn makes the team.
WR: I'am not really impressed by any candidates for the nr. 5 spot. Janis is really raw, but has the athletic ability. Therefore they might want to protect him on the 53. Dorsey is probably the most polished one, and would be my front runner for the # 6 spot. Other candidates are White and Gillett.
TE: Taylor or Stoneburner, that's the question. Stoneburner has more potential, Taylor is the better blocker and special teams player.
OLB: Eliot played impressive and is my nr 5. The number 6 spot is a coin toss between Palmer and Mulumba. Hubbard also has shown some nice things. The only reason why Bradford might be kept, is because he is a fourth round pick. He hasn't shown anything yet. They still might want to keep him to move him inside next year.
DB: Bush is a important special teams ace. Banjo is a also good special teams player. Rolle is just a promising corner. My guess is that if we keep 10 DB's, Rolle would be out.

My best guess...
Flynn out...who did he beat last yr? ARod goes down again the season is over anyway.
Coin flip for 4 th TE.
Agree with the Janis move, won't make it to PS(have you seen some of the WRs teams are putting on the field) and I like last yrs pick of Dorsey for #6.
Elliot's in Bradford to PS if no one else wants him. I like Hubbard over Palmer and Mulumba.
Time to let the Bushman go. Either Banjo or Rolle is fine.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how proven Flynn is. Had this in a different post so here goes again. Remember Flynn was a 3 yr back so he knew the system...Tolzien was a street signee during the first few weeks of the season.

After ARod goes down and Wallace bombs..

Tolzien
61.5% / 280 yds / 1 TD 2 INT against Phily D that finished 14th in % at 60.9 came in cold for Wallace
70.6 / 339 / 0-3 against NYG 16th at 60.1
41.2 / 98 / 0-0 against MN...pulled

Flynn
58.3 / 218 / 1-0 in the comeback to make him the savior against MN 7 th worst pass D at 64.7
50.0 / 139 / 0-1 at Det 21st at 59.1
75.0 / 258 / 1-1 against a terrible Atl D ranked 5th worst at 66.1 But a 1 pt WIN
66.7 / 299 / 4-1 in a Dal shoot out D tied with MN at 64.7 (7th worst)
53.8 / 232 / 1-1 against Pitts D ranked 28th ( or 5th best) at 57.8

So against the 2 quality pass Ds Flynn was below their average. Against the 2 poor he was above in both starts and below on the comeback tie.

Again, given the let him walk and brought him back in desperation last year does tell me proven, just fits the system better than a street walk on. Bad plan last year, better options this yr to find the right backup. But if Det and Chi don't disappear and refuse to take the NFC North last year, we finish 3rd much like this year if ARod goes down again.

H

HardRightEdge

Flynn's a gamer. He will be on this roster, and he will be the #2 QB. Tolzien has not proven he can beat anybody and he's had a couple of chances..

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention this PS..

Tolzien
8-12 / 124 / 66.7
10-15 / 107 / 66.7
8-11 / 107 / 72.7

Flynn
5-10 / 49..49 yds! / 50.0
2-3 / 44 / 66.7
4-10 / 37 / 40.0

If Flynn is given the #2 spot based on this comparison then I should be running a team.