First 53 prediction

D

Deleted member 6794

I could see that, and Goodson is probably the guy I cut for Tolz. I have Janis simply because I like the upside (Julio Jones) and I completely see him getting Charles Johnson-ed though, but possible that White or Dorsey make it over him though Abby only made it over him because of ST value. Boyd is the only legit Base LDE we have, he wins that battle fairly easily for me. You can cut Lyerla for Elliot if he really is the new camp OLB, Lyerla will make a PS.

IMO five guys (White, Harper Abbrederis, Janis and Dorsey) will battle for two spots at WR in camp, should be the most intriguing one in camp. It´s possible some of them will be picked up by other teams if we want to put them on the practice squad but we can´t keep them all on the 53.

I still think Worthy could be productive, but he has to show major improvement in camp to make the team.

Lyerla will make the team if he can stay out of trouble, there´s no doubt about that IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you have some inside information on Perillo, I can't imagine bostick being cut at all and especially in favor of Perillo. Rest I can see Flynn could get beat out by Tolzien, Tolzien a younger more talented Flynn. TE group can replace Kuhn at FB. Not sure they keep Harper over Janis although I liked Harper coming out, thought he had some James jones in him. But now we have Adams who looks to be a better version of jones. Obviously TT liked Harper coming out but I think he liked Janis more to pick Janis after he had already taken 2 other WR to me means TT really likes Janis a lot and he will likely not risk getting him through to the ps.

I don´t think there´s a TE on the roster right now capable of replacing Kuhn. If Lyerla turns into a receiving threat at TE I can see them having Rodgers bulk up and be a blocking first TE, but we´ll have to wait and see how that works out.

Tolzien has way more arm strenght than Flynn but he has to get a better knowledge of the playbook and cut down on his mistakes. Don´t see Perillo make the team either.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... seems like the Packers like Elliott at OLB as well.
What makes you say that? Demovsky reported that he, along with 5 other UDFAs got the highest signing bonuses ($5K) among the UDFAs, but Hubbard also received $5. I looked for someone on the staff commenting on him and didn't find it.

Over the weekend I saw a link to KSK NFL Draft Coverage which listed the grade for each first round pick in the draft. After each draftee, they wrote, "This player has yet to play in an NFL game, and thus, it is impossible to determine the success or failure of this pick at this time. Grade: Incomplete"
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com...-grading-first-round-picks.html#ixzz32vNFnLU9

IMO that's relevant to this thread since we have zero information regarding how the draftees and UDFAs adjust to the NFL, except everyone was able to find and get to Green Bay. It may be fun to guess who will make it and who won't but at this point it's a complete guess.

D

Deleted member 6794

What makes you say that?

Wilde talked about it either on Green and Gold or on one of the other shows he's on.

IMO that's relevant to this thread since we have zero information regarding how the draftees and UDFAs adjust to the NFL, except everyone was able to find and get to Green Bay. It may be fun to guess who will make it and who won't but at this point it's a complete guess.

Agreed. But if we would only talk about what we know for a fact this forum would be mostly quiet.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed. But if we would only talk about what we know for a fact this forum would be mostly quiet.

One might also have watched how they've played, assess strengths and weaknesses, and make judgements about who fits best in the mix. Or just wait around for the cut downs. The latter approach has the benefit of never being wrong. ;)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What makes you say that? Demovsky reported that he, along with 5 other UDFAs got the highest signing bonuses ($5K) among the UDFAs, but Hubbard also received $5. I looked for someone on the staff commenting on him and didn't find it.

Over the weekend I saw a link to KSK NFL Draft Coverage which listed the grade for each first round pick in the draft. After each draftee, they wrote, "This player has yet to play in an NFL game, and thus, it is impossible to determine the success or failure of this pick at this time. Grade: Incomplete"
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com...-grading-first-round-picks.html#ixzz32vNFnLU9

You know who else got a 5K bonus? Tommy Draheim and every UDFA who was on the fence about signing here.

Last edited:

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think a 2nd round pick is not going to make it into the receiving core and onto the practice squad?

am I missing something here?

What I've seen of Adams he's a slow Greg Jennings. He'll go across the middle, catch everything, but he won't beat a corner on a double move and get seperation so if we need a TD in OT like we did in Denver back in '07 or like we did last year against the Bears we gotta go to someone else. And yet he was a 2? WOW

D

Deleted member 6794

What I've seen of Adams he's a slow Greg Jennings. He'll go across the middle, catch everything, but he won't beat a corner on a double move and get seperation so if we need a TD in OT like we did in Denver back in '07 or like we did last year against the Bears we gotta go to someone else. And yet he was a 2? WOW

Yeah, I always get mad as well when Thompson drafts a receiver without a great track record in overtime. :rolleyes:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: Rodgers, Flynn (2)
RB: Lacy, Starks, Franklin, Harris (4)
FB: Kuhn (1)
TE: Quarless, Lyerla, Bostick, Rodgers (4)
WR: Cobb, Nelson, Boykin, Adams, Abbrederis, Janis (6)
OL: Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Bulaga, Bahktiari, Sherrod, Barclay, Linsley (8)

DL: Raji, Worthy, D Jones, Daniels, Thornton, Boyd (6)
LB: Matthews, Perry, Peppers, Neal, Hawk, Jones, Lattimore, Bradford, Barrington (9)
CB: Shields, Williams, Hayward, House, Hyde, Goodson, Bush (7)
S: Clinton-Dix, Burnett, Richardson (3)

ST: Masthay, Crosby, Goode (3)

- I don't buy the hype that they will keep 3 QBs to avoid last year. How would that even help? Last year wasn't a problem of quantity. We lost Rodgers and then lost Wallace. We were down to our 3rd string almost immediately which no team can really plan for. Flynn is obviously the safer choice and a capable backup. If it got past him they would be just as well off looking at practice squad guys or street guys anyway. Rodgers is our star and Flynn gives us a chance to tread water if Rodgers is out. Getting all the way down to 3rd string is a rarity. Hopefully it will never happen again in Rodgers' career.

- I didn't want to keep 4 RBs, but I couldn't find a cut. Franklin still has nice upside. Harris if healthy can be a weapon.

- I can't see them keeping less than 4 TEs. Lyerla makes it on upside if he stays clean and has a good training camp. If Finley comes back, Bostick or Lyerla goes.

- I gave Worthy a nod, but I'm torn 50/50 between Worthy and Guion. I think one makes it and one gets cut.

- LBs were a tough one near the bottom. I think they like Barrington, but I don't think Palmer has shown enough to stick. I see Francois as a tough luck "coming off a bad injury cut".

- Richardson beats out Banjo on upside. No way they keep more than 3 true safeties if they plan on using Hyde in a hybrid role which I think they do.

- I have every drafted rookie making the roster which I realize is unlikely. I just couldn't find a cut. I think they are very high on Janis. I think he can contribute right away on returns and ST, and I don't think he would last long on the practice squad if he even made it there without getting claimed. I think Goodson has the better shot of winding up on the practice squad. If they want to just keep 6 corners and keep an extra lineman or linebacker, I could see any of Goodson, Bush, or even House as the odd man out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't buy the hype that they will keep 3 QBs to avoid last year. How would that even help? Last year wasn't a problem of quantity. We lost Rodgers and then lost Wallace. We were down to our 3rd string almost immediately which no team can really plan for. Flynn is obviously the safer choice and a capable backup. If it got past him they would be just as well off looking at practice squad guys or street guys anyway. Rodgers is our star and Flynn gives us a chance to tread water if Rodgers is out. Getting all the way down to 3rd string is a rarity. Hopefully it will never happen again in Rodgers' career.

I´m hopeful as well that we don´t have to worry about the backup QB situation anymore at any point in Rodgers career, but as of right now I would prefer them to keep both Flynn and Tolzien as Scoots has more upside but Flynn has proven to be capable of winning some games as the backup.

I didn't want to keep 4 RBs, but I couldn't find a cut. Franklin still has nice upside. Harris if healthy can be a weapon.

I´m worried about Franklin´s neck inury. While we haven´t heard anything about it him not being able to practice months after it happen during OTAs has me wonder about the severity of the injury.

LBs were a tough one near the bottom. I think they like Barrington, but I don't think Palmer has shown enough to stick. I see Francois as a tough luck "coming off a bad injury cut".

Francois is a free agent at the moment and I don´t see the Packers bringing him back.

I have every drafted rookie making the roster which I realize is unlikely. I just couldn't find a cut. I think they are very high on Janis. I think he can contribute right away on returns and ST, and I don't think he would last long on the practice squad if he even made it there without getting claimed. I think Goodson has the better shot of winding up on the practice squad. If they want to just keep 6 corners and keep an extra lineman or linebacker, I could see any of Goodson, Bush, or even House as the odd man out.

I have a hard time believing the Packers will keep three rookie WRs on the 53.[/quote]

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing the Packers will keep three rookie WRs on the 53.

I don't. Adams is a lock for sure. I think Abbrederis is pretty close to being one too. He'd have to have a complete disaster of a training camp to lose his job right out of training camp as a 5th round pick, especially in a draft so deep at WR that they consider him more of a 2nd-3rd round talent.

Janis could be cut. Maybe his Division 2 dominance doesn't translate to the NFL very well. But again, he has really great tools and upside. He's not a typical 7th round pick and even if we did manage to sneak him onto the practice squad, I doubt he would stay there all year.

I wouldn't say it's certain that we keep all of Adams/Abbrederis/Janis, but I would say close to 50/50 -- barring no injuries to the WR corps in training camp.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if we sign Finley and he makes the cut with a good bill of health, that he takes Harris' spot on the roster most likely.

But then again, that gives us 5 TEs. That is a lot.

So who knows I guess.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't. Adams is a lock for sure. I think Abbrederis is pretty close to being one too. He'd have to have start muffing kicks to lose his job right out of training camp as a 5th round pick, especially in a draft so deep at WR that they consider him more of a 2nd-3rd round talent.

Janis could be cut. Maybe his Division 2 dominance doesn't translate to the NFL very well. But again, he has really great tools and upside. He's not a typical 7th round pick and even if we did manage to sneak him onto the practice squad, I doubt he would stay there all year.

I wouldn't say it's certain that we keep all of Adams/Abbrederis/Janis, but I would say close to 50/50 -- barring no injuries to the WR corps in training camp.
FIFY. Abby is anything but a lock if he's not a viable return man. Multiple concussions in TC or Preseason might also do it.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction:

QB: Rodgers & Flynn (Tolzien)
RB: Lacy, Starks and Harris (Neal)
FB: Kuhn
TE: Quarless, Rodgers, Bostick and Taylor (Lyerla)
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, White and Abbrederis (Janis)
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Barclay, Sherrod, Linsley (Taylor)
DL: Daniels, D. Jones, Raji, Thornton, Boyd and Worthy (Guion)
ILB: Hawk, B. Jones, Lattimore, Barrington (Thomas)
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Neal, Bradford, Mulumba (Palmer and Hubbard)
CB: Williams, Shields, Hayward, Hyde, House, Bush (Goodson)
S: Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Richardson, Banjo
ST: Crosby, Masthay, Goode

- I think that Franklin's neck injury is serious, so right now I expect him on the PUP list. If not, he should make the team.
- Kuhn is a lock in my opinion. Good blocker + solid special teams player. He might lose some snaps to the RB's though.
- The tight end battle is also a special teams battle. Especially Bostick and Lyerla have to prove their value on special teams. If they do, they might cut Taylor.
- I expect us to keep 6 WR's because of the contract situation of Jordy and Randall. Right now, I think White is the #5, but competition with Abbrederis, Janis, Dorsey and Harper is fierce. Abbrederis would help himself if he wins one of the kick return jobs. Janis would help himself by proving he can play the gunner position.
- I think Guion and Worthy are fighting for a roster spot. Although we might even keep only 5 defensive lineman, since Neal and Peppers can play on the defensive line as well.
- There isn't a lot of competition inside unless someone moves from the OLB position.
- There are 4 locks for the OLB position. Bradford, Mulumba, Palmer and Hubbard are probably competing for two spots (keep in mind that Peppers and Neal could play on the D-line as well).
- Shield, Hayward, Hyde, Burnett and Clinton-Dix are locks. I think Williams is a near lock as well, although the cap savings of cutting him would be significant. I like Richardson, so I think he will win the number 3 safety job. The other defensive back jobs might come down to special teams. Both House and Bush are an important part of our special teams, so I guess they will make it. Banjo as 10th DB is really on the edge here, but I picked him for his special teams ability. My guess is that if we keep an extra running back or linebacker that would be in expense of Banjo.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't. Adams is a lock for sure. I think Abbrederis is pretty close to being one too. He'd have to have a complete disaster of a training camp to lose his job right out of training camp as a 5th round pick, especially in a draft so deep at WR that they consider him more of a 2nd-3rd round talent.

Adams is a lock to make the team. Abbrederis has to get stronger to be able to deal with NFL corners, has to stay healthy and provide something in the return game to make the team. Janis may have a lot of upside but I really don´t see him moving past White and Harper on the depth chart this season. It´s possible he would be claimed by another team if we want to put him on the practice squad but it´s far from a sure thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

The tight end battle is also a special teams battle. Especially Bostick and Lyerla have to prove their value on special teams. If they do, they might cut Taylor.

I really liked your 53 aside of Taylor making the team at TE. IMO there´s no way Lyerla doesn´t make the team if he´s able to stay out of trouble.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I think if we sign Finley and he makes the cut with a good bill of health, that he takes Harris' spot on the roster most likely.

But then again, that gives us 5 TEs. That is a lot.

So who knows I guess.

I don't see the Pack resigning Finley. And I don't see them cutting Harris. Lacy/Starks/Harris is a great combination-- three backs, all with different styles, all capable of being 3 down backs.

Franklin is out- either on IR/PUP due to his neck injury, or out. IMO.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked your 53 aside of Taylor making the team at TE. IMO there´s no way Lyerla doesn´t make the team if he´s able to stay out of trouble.

Clearly if Lyerla stays out of trouble and is his old self he will make the team. That is a big "if" though. I'am cheering for him! But right now I don't want to have too high expectations for an undrafted rookie.

I also don't like Taylor too much myself, but he is an important part of our special teams. The Packers like their tight end to play a lot of special teams so that will be an important part of the equation. I guess that he will be out if Bostick and/or Lyerla show that they are solid contributors on special teams. He might also be out if we want to keep someone extra at another position.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also don't like Taylor too much myself, but he is an important part of our special teams. The Packers like their tight end to play a lot of special teams so that will be an important part of the equation. I guess that he will be out if Bostick and/or Lyerla show that they are solid contributors on special teams. He might also be out if we want to keep someone extra at another position.

I agree that Taylor is a pretty good contributor on special teams and the Packers put a lot of value into that within the TE position, I just think Lyerla and even Bostick have way more upside than him. Especially with no proven receiving threat at the position.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
- The tight end battle is also a special teams battle. Especially Bostick and Lyerla have to prove their value on special teams. If they do, they might cut Taylor. Both House and Bush are an important part of our special teams, so I guess they will make it.
I'm not sure Taylor makes the team if one of the LB (likely Bradford) show enough ST ability to replace him.

Also, Hyde makes Bush expendable, so it's really Goodson vs House for the backup perimeter CB roster spot.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FIFY. Abby is anything but a lock if he's not a viable return man. Multiple concussions in TC or Preseason might also do it.

Multiple concussions in TC/Pre-season would probably make him a IR candidate. Anyone could be susceptible to that, but I'd be shocked if he gets cut.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this exercise is so dependant on pre-season injuries that it is almost futile to even guess. I think it's very possible that we'll again start the season with 7 offensive lineman and 3 RB's with Franklin on PUP. That would leave room for 6 Wr's , 5 TE's/FB and 3 QB's for total of 24 on offense. That leaves 26 for defense. It may come down to who they think they can cut and hide on practice squad. Guys like Goodson, Janus, Lyerla may fall into this category.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts