Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is now closed until yet another Rodgers/ offense thread iscreated and this discussion moves there where it should be.

NCcheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say fire him and replace him with someone like Gene Chizik, the UNC coordinator that turned around that defense in his first year with the same personnel.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say get better players and have the ones we have now get their heads out of their arses.

realist4pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers? I only question his late game calling where he backs off the pressure. I blame players and OFFENSE. Best defense is a great offense

gsopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive showed my frustration with him. This game showed how horrible he is. Put your input
Can't disagree more - while the 'D' has not been outstanding, the offense is doing nothing at all to help the team. Its been 5 games since our Offense clicked, that puts the 'D' behind the 8 ball each game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't care for the defensive breakdowns at the most inappropriate times, but still, if someone had told you before the game that we'd be (1) playing the Lions (2) at home and (3) holding them to 18 points, how many of your kids would you have bet on a Packer W? :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This was not the game to support the idea of firing Capers. The defense didn't give up the longest KOR in Lions' history: Six of those points weren't on the D, so IMO Capers' D gave up 12 points. Hold the opponent to 12 points at home... (or even 18).

OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't disagree more - while the 'D' has not been outstanding, the offense is doing nothing at all to help the team. Its been 5 games since our Offense clicked, that puts the 'D' behind the 8 ball each game.

You do realize I made that statement back in 2012, right? Sad thing is we are still having the same discussion and Capers is still employed and his defense continues to be sub par.

OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest issue with this defense is they never play big situational football. They will play good at times, but when it matters, they fail.

Just to name a few examples as of recent. Last week, they held the lions, but the last drive when if mattered. They let then drive down the field and score.

Against Carilina, 3rd and long and they allow them to convert. It can be 3rd and 20, and Capers will call something that allows a guy to run free. Instead of keeping the players in front of them to stop the conversion.

Then the playoffs games when they blew games.

It's all about when they show up. You can have all sacks and int during a game and season. But making them at crunch time is when they matter.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In his preview of the game today, Rodney talks about how good the Vikings defense is and then writes:
Coach Mike Zimmer’s footprints are all over the Minnesota defense. A predictable and poorly prepared unit that allowed the second-most yards per game in 2013 under coach Leslie Frazier and coordinator Alan Williams is now extremely solid against both the run and the pass. That’s because Zimmer and coordinator George Edwards do a really good job of preparing during the week, adjusting during the game and getting the most out of their players. Do the Vikings have more talent on defense than the Packers? Maybe, but that’s at least debatable. What’s not debatable is how much better coached the Vikings are than the Packers.
http://packersnotes.com/2015/11/preview-packers-vs-vikings/

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest issue with this defense is they never play big situational football. They will play good at times, but when it matters, they fail.

Just to name a few examples as of recent. Last week, they held the lions, but the last drive when if mattered. They let then drive down the field and score.

Against Carilina, 3rd and long and they allow them to convert. It can be 3rd and 20, and Capers will call something that allows a guy to run free. Instead of keeping the players in front of them to stop the conversion.

Then the playoffs games when they blew games.

It's all about when they show up. You can have all sacks and int during a game and season. But making them at crunch time is when they matter.

It's crazy to me how fans continually think Capers calls plays that allows guys to be wide open. No play by any coordinator is designed to do that.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still way to many missed tackles, poor tackling technique, blown coverages, players not knowing where/what they're supposed to be doing. This all comes down to Capers. He's got the personnel for a good defense he's just gotta call the right plays and teach these guys the right ways.
I do not agree Capers is a lot better DC then most teams have in this league where they don't let you play defense anymore rules all are for the OFF!

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's crazy to me how fans continually think Capers calls plays that allows guys to be wide open. No play by any coordinator is designed to do that.
Amen someone who gets it they need some better players on that side of the ball !

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not agree Capers is a lot better DC then most teams have in this league where they don't let you play defense anymore rules all are for the OFF!
Easy argument to make when the defense is coming off some of its best two weeks of play in 4+ years, compared to when I wrote this. Though the topic of Capers at this point has literally been beat to death from both sides and I have found myself tired of flipping on the topic a number of times myself. As long as they keep the good play up, he's got my support:tup:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the last 5 years, we've continually attempted to address the position with high draft picks (Perry, Jones, Randall, Thornton, Worthy, Hayward, HHCD), and any efforts to improve this team through free agency have been focused almost exclusively on defense. (Peppers, Guion).

If there are no issues with the defensive coaching, it's fair to question TTs talent evaluations on defense. If it's not a coaching issue, it's a talent acquisition issue. It can't be neither.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the last 5 years, we've continually attempted to address the position with high draft picks (Perry, Jones, Randall, Thornton, Worthy, Hayward, HHCD), and any efforts to improve this team through free agency have been focused almost exclusively on defense. (Peppers, Guion).

If there are no issues with the defensive coaching, it's fair to question TTs talent evaluations on defense. If it's not a coaching issue, it's a talent acquisition issue. It can't be neither.

Agreed, and taking a look at the non-existent production of defensive players leaving the Packers to play somewhere else I think it's fair to assume the reason for the unit's mostly poor performances over the last few years should be attributed to a lack of talent.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, and taking a look at the non-existent production of defensive players leaving the Packers to play somewhere else I think it's fair to assume the reason for the unit's mostly poor performances over the last few years should be attributed to a lack of talent.

Good point, it's fair to look at the careers of our guys on D after they leave GB. There are plenty.

Doc Jennings, Jerron McMillian, DJ Smith, Terrell Manning and Robert Francois are all out on the street. Jerel Worthy just got signed to the Bills practice squad.

CJ Wilson is on the Lions' 53, albeit far down on the depth chart.

Not sure how Davon House is doing in Jacksonville. I know he was starting, then benched, then I think he got his job back.

I think Tramon is doing alright in Cleveland, but I'm really not sure. No idea how Hawk is doing in Cincinnati. He starts, I think.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good point, it's fair to look at the careers of our guys on D after they leave GB. There are plenty.

Doc Jennings, Jerron McMillian, DJ Smith, Terrell Manning and Robert Francois are all out on the street. Jerel Worthy just got signed to the Bills practice squad.

CJ Wilson is on the Lions' 53, albeit far down on the depth chart.

Not sure how Davon House is doing in Jacksonville. I know he was starting, then benched, then I think he got his job back.

I think Tramon is doing alright in Cleveland, but I'm really not sure. No idea how Hawk is doing in Cincinnati. He starts, I think.

It seems like House is doing fine in Jacksonville as he's second in the league in passes defensed with 17 and has two interceptions. Tramon has six passes defensed and no interceptions while playing 98.4% of the defensive snaps for the Browns.

While Hawk has started six games for the Bengals he has only played 29.2% of all snaps, recording 12 solo tackles and a sack.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy argument to make when the defense is coming off some of its best two weeks of play in 4+ years, compared to when I wrote this. Though the topic of Capers at this point has literally been beat to death from both sides and I have found myself tired of flipping on the topic a number of times myself. As long as they keep the good play up, he's got my support:tup:
Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless !

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Dom really needs to go. We can't win a SB with him. Him and his damn zones cost us greatly

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dom really needs to go. We can't win a SB with him. Him and his damn zones cost us greatly

The defense is finally getting good so we should let go of the coordinator and start over?

Actually analyze that long play to Fitz too. The line got pressure and missed the sack on a slow QB. Fitz was covered at first and then the secondary just let him go. Then they missed like 4-5 tackles.

That play was loaded with mistakes and is not on Capers.

The defense also made a good goal line play that ended up a TD and Shields dropped a possible pick 6.

Capers did not lose this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts