Finley: a Packer for life?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also:
http://www1.skysports.com/american-football/news/12118/7070973/Peyton-happy-with-pay-cut

"While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player," Manning told The Indianapolis Star "I told him I'd rather he save that money and keep whoever it is - Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy said himself he settled for less because he wanted to be in GB. He didn't hit FA because he re-signed. When he signed it was the 27th biggest contract amongst active receivers, he knew he could get more in Free Agency.

Again take what players say to the media with a grain of salt. Fact is he didnt hit FA. Maybe his agent didnt like what he saw from JJ hitting FA. Neither of us can speculate what he would have gotten in FA compared to what he got from GB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again take what players say to the media with a grain of salt. Fact is he didnt hit FA. Maybe his agent didnt like what he saw from JJ hitting FA. Neither of us can speculate what he would have gotten in FA compared to what he got from GB.
Yep, the only thing we can take is his word for it. I trust it. There are also reports of what his demeanor is, particularly with money (he's a cheapskate)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BB would have been cut, taking a pay cut in order to get a check is different than having multiple opportunities and going somewhere and taking less money than you could have got somewhere else. See D. Fisher example with his daughter.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/7/...ose-ryan-diem-on-us-renegotiates-for-one-year

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the point isn't whether players would take paycuts, it's whether players would take less to remain with a team, or to sign with a certain team. Asomugah said he took less money to sign with the Eagles. But you don't take a players' word for it, so there's no way to prove it either way.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the point isn't whether players would take paycuts, it's whether players would take less to remain with a team, or to sign with a certain team. Asomugah said he took less money to sign with the Eagles. But you don't take a players' word for it, so there's no way to prove it either way.

If you can find an example of a GM or owner saying they offered said player more money that would be a great example. Or even a coach. You might be right with Asomugah, I feel like a GM or owner said something.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how can you say he took market value?

Really? Thought that was obvious.

overall the contract matches up with Tom Bradys, but the contract is front loaded so he actually gets more than brady for awhile. Brady and Manning a year ago were the 1A and 1B of QBs. Seems like market value.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's almost always about the money, but not always. Absolute statements are almost always wrong. :D

Gilbert Brown is the example that leaps to mind when this is brought up. He took a pay cut to stay on the Packers and so did LeRoy Butler. I believe LeRoy did so more than once.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Thought that was obvious.

overall the contract matches up with Tom Bradys, but the contract is front loaded so he actually gets more than brady for awhile. Brady and Manning a year ago were the 1A and 1B of QBs. Seems like market value.
Who's to say he wouldn't get much more in Free Agency? You don't believe a team like Miami or Oakland could completely overpay in a bidding war for that guy???? Really? With those crazy guys running the show? Seymour is getting $16MI/year for crying out loud.

Market value doesn't depend only on values of similar "products". Timing plays a huge factor into it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank Winters and Dorsey Levens took significant pay cuts to get Brett Favre his contract to "keep" him a Packer for life also making brently the first 100 mill dollar man in the NFL

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=99808&page=1

Why would you give up money so another man can get rich? I assume they just restructured the deals around the team. Without contract numbers available its hard to prove.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's to say he wouldn't get much more in Free Agency? You don't believe a team like Miami or Oakland could completely overpay in a bidding war for that guy???? Really? With those crazy guys running the show? Seymour is getting $16MI/year for crying out loud.

Market value doesn't depend only on values of similar "products". Timing plays a huge factor into it.

I cant imagine the cap allowing much more. Brady and Manning are the highest paid players in the league.

Miami is pretty cheap and I believe Oakland let Nnamdi go bc they couldnt afford him.

Brett Favre moaned and complained about not having TT and management surround him with talent but I never heard him say "hey I'll play for league minimum if you spend the difference on offensive players." Its always about the $. Reggie White was one of the classiest players the league has ever seen and for him it was about the $ as well.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
restructuring is different than taking less money between two teams. I thought it was general knowledge he took that pay cut in order to make their roster. No one offers up their contract to help the team. You have to look out for yourself first.

LT was already in NY for a year this was not the year he left SD and went to NY that was this year and he took the paycut so santonio homles plax and cromartie to get thiers.
It was Sanchez that said he would rework his contract to get more big name guys

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Also, LT still had a year left on his contract

"To help free up cap room, NewYorkJets running back LaDainian Tomlinson has taken a pay cut from $2.625 million to about $1.1 million, according to a ESPN.com report"

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LT was already in NY for a year this was not the year he left SD and went to NY that was this year and he took the paycut so santonio homles plax and cromartie to get thiers.
It was Sanchez that said he would rework his contract to get more big name guys

(facepalm) again, another team was not involved and he needed to take a pay cut in order to make the team. No player takes a paycut so someone else can get rich. Would you? of course not.

Castle Of Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is an article that take a pretty interesting angle on Finley and the possibility of franchising him. Potentially, he could argue that he is a WR and not a TE based on the number of snaps he takes split out from the line. If he were to succeed with that argument, it would change is franchise number from about $5.5 million to about $9.5 million.

I still think they only franchise him long enough to work out a longer deal. With Grant's money coming off the books, Ted likely moving on from Clifton and possibly even Driver, there should be enough money to get deals done for Wells and Finley. The bigger issue is whether or not they can leave enough for Raji and Matthews in 2013.

Assuming Rotoworld's contract info is accurate...

Current cap space: $7.5 million
Grant: $2.5 million
Clifton: $5.25 million
Driver: $2.6 million
Rough Total: $17.85 million (depending on what the cap moves to next year)

That said, there's a reason I'm not an NFL GM ;) I'm sure Ted will make the right call.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oming-between-finley-packers/#comment-1376374

Latest posts