Ferguson could be ready

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From FoxSports.com ------

Ferguson could be ready for Vikes
Arnie Stapleton / Associated Press
Posted: 3 hours ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - There's a slight chance that Packers wide receiver Robert Ferguson could play Sunday, just three weeks after a clothesline hit by Jacksonville's Donovin Darius left him temporarily paralyzed.

Green Bay coach Mike Sherman upgraded Ferguson from doubtful to questionable for the playoff game against Minnesota after Ferguson performed well at Friday's practice, his first full workout since the injury.

Ferguson, however, hasn't had any contact yet, and that will probably prevent him from suiting up Sunday. The more likely scenario is for him to play next week at Atlanta should the Packers beat the Vikings.

Even if he were to play against the Vikings, Sherman said there's no way Ferguson would return kicks.

Ferguson is still experiencing headaches but has regained sensation and strength in his extremities, and team doctors cleared him this week to return to the field.

His new helmet was equipped with a visor to cut down on the glare that continues to bothers him. His chin snap and face mask was broken on the old helmet, which was stripped from his head when he was hit Dec. 19 by Darius, drawing a 15-yard penalty, an ejection and a $75,000 fine from the NFL.

Ferguson said he appreciated a phone call from Darius in the hospital, but he didn't like Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio referring to him as "that guy" instead of by name while defending his safety over the vicious hit.

As late as Monday, the Packers were doubtful Ferguson would play again until next summer.

"When he's laying there on the field, and you see him in the MRI machine, you're just hoping he's going to be OK as a person, not as a football player," Sherman said. "And you know, with Fergie, he just is a fast healer and a tough, tough kid. So, you just expect once he's back on his feet he's going to get out there somehow some way."

Ferguson said he can't wait to get hit again and that this whole experience will make him a better player.

After catching 43 passes for 593 yards and six touchdowns a year ago, Ferguson had 24 receptions for 367 yards and one score this season while playing in the shadows of 1,200-yard receivers Javon Walker and Donald Driver.

"When you're down and you're thinking this is it, I might not walk again or whatever, you want to leave your mark on the game," Ferguson said. "You don't want to be one of those guys who just came in and played and never tapped into their talent. And I feel I haven't tapped into my talent at all right now."

So, he said he'll be more assertive about a bigger role in the offense.

"Since I was young, I've always been the ultimate team player, but I feel like now I've learned you have to be selfish in some ways," he said. "I think every great player is selfish in a way."

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure like the thought of Ferguson playing this week. But truthfully the smart thing to do is make him sit. When he is 100% i say let him play. The last thing you want to do is rush a injury to the spine. Hats off to Robert for showing the courage, heart and desire in wanting to play, but we all would be heart broken if he got a career ending injury coming back too soon. :mrgreen:

Darius_Rules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
na it doesnt really bother me. i didnt expect them to make the playoffs this year anyway. although i did expect them to get better and they did just that. and as for the packers, sorry better luck next year :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts