Favre's rumored comeback has players buzzing

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre's future may be written all over the retired (as of now) quarterback's face.

Recently retired quarterback Brett Favre appears ready to return to football, but will it be with the Packers? NFL.com columnist Pat Kirwan examines the thorny issue. Full story ...

And Warren Sapp may just be the man to translate. Last season, Sapp utilized a trick that may hold the key to Favre's next call.

"We played (Favre) last year at Lambeau (a 38-7 Packers victory), and he went to the huddle and called a play. I read his lips and called the play ... We whacked him.

"(Favre) looked at me. I said, 'What? If you let me read your lips, I'm definitely going to.' He went back and covered his mouth the next time."

No one, not Sapp or several other NFL icons have been able to pry Favre's hand from his mouth in this latest round of "Will he or won't he" speculation.

Still, Cowboys QB Tony Romo seems pretty confident in his assessment of Favre's plans. Asked Thursday on NFL Total Access if he felt Favre was coming back, he had this to say:

"Oh yeah, he's coming back for sure. Are you kidding?" Romo said.

"He's a guy who played at a high, high level last year. (Teams) always want a good QB. They're hard to come by.

"I'm sure the organization wishes he didn't retire if he wanted to come back. As an athlete, you go through different feelings all the time. Sometimes you feel you need a break; sometimes you feel you can do it forever. ... If anyone has earned that right to make those choices, (Favre) has."
Photos ...
Favre through the years
-

» Retirement announcement
» All-time winningest QBs
» More photos

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler also spoke with NFL Total Access' Jamie Dukes and Rod Woodson about Favre's future on Wednesday, but was less convinced.

"I was just talking to (Favre's agent) Bus Cook a few hours ago and I don't think anyone knows what he is going to do," Cutler said before teeing off at the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe.

"I think he still wants to play football but it's complicated up there in Green Bay with Aaron (Rodgers) and what they've got going on. So we'll have to wait and see.

"I don't know. I mean I really don't know. I've heard a lot of rumors. I don't think Bus and Brett know exactly what direction they're going to go in. I think Brett still wants to play, it's just whether or not Green Bay is going to take him back or whether they're going to release him."

Even the quarterback who defeated Favre in Super Bowl XXXII, John Elway, isn't quite sure what he will do.

"I think it is probably hard for the whole organization as well as Packer Nation just because they all love Brett and love watching him play," Elway said. "But to be on the fence all the time, kind of not knowing where they're going, I'm sure it is tough for all of them."

Nearly as difficult as reading someone's mind.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big difference not seen here by many fans is your average fan is not responsible for nor do they have to look beyond THIS year. The rub with this subject is the Packer Organization DOES have to look beyond this year.
Brett coming back now puts this year in a limbo year as far as progress for the future. It's stuck and the hell of it is this is a one year stuck-in-the- mud position because Brett's not playing beyond that in all likelyhood.

They've planned for three years now for this and it finally happens and then there's talk about a reversal. I just don't understand how people can expect the organization to appear any other way than a deer in headlights and then start BLAMING them for it on top of it all?

TT never did want him, wants his own team, blah, blah, blah.

Fans need to remember they have not put one drop of energy, time, or planning into the changeover that was mandated when Brett said he was done. Pretty easy for you to say "hell yeah, bring him back" and throw all the work and progress towards a new beginning in the toilet.

I don't look at this organization as slighting Brett or slapping him in the face as I see a team going full steam ahead and then looking up seeing this now and saying "what the hell?"

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans need to remember they have not put one drop of energy, time, or planning into the changeover that was mandated when Brett said he was done. Pretty easy for you to say "hell yeah, bring him back" and throw all the work and progress towards a new beginning in the toilet.

Just a simple answer will suffice. What is this work and progress you are speaking of?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

Just a simple answer will suffice. What is this work and progress you are speaking of?

As in Mike McCarthy philosophy that "we will put our players in the best position to win" work and progress.

Do you think everything they worked on this spring was exactly like they did it last year because it worked for Brett or that they tailored their plans to fit what it is ARod can do best?

These coaches know exactly what ARods strengths and weakness' are and how the playbook and gameplan needs to be shaped to have the greatest chance of success with him running the offense.

When the Packers had installed a very young offensive line we saw TE help, running back help, different formations to pass protect. You don't think they haven't completely poured over this offense and made the adjustments Rodgers needs to make it work?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts