Favre will go down as the best QB in history.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your love affair with Favre is distubing Hauschild. Nobody is dissing on Favre but Football is way offensive minded today when you had those days of Starr, Tarkenton, Griese. For one the passing game and all the penaltys are crazy to back then. The Defenders could put their hands on the receiver. Tarkenton held many passing records for years so if you want to talk stats would you put him up there?

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre spent 7 seasons with both Holmgren and White. So you're saying that from 92-98 only the 96 Packers were a good team? And they only won 1 SB.

Conjectures... Fact is Starr has 5 NFL championships, 2 SBs, and in both was named SB MVP, and has 1 NFL MVP; Favre has 2 SB appearances, 1 win, and 0 SB MVPs, and 3 NFL MVPs. Coulda Woulda Shoulda aren't parameters. What if we had a great running game now?

I agree that if Holmgren spent more time in here, we probably would've win at least one more SB. But he didn't. Starr did.

So if we go by rings, does that mean trent dilfer is as good a qb as Favre?

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last couple weeks I have been apart of packer Nation on the Forum. I have heard how he was going to go down in flames and take the Vikings with him and he was traitor Etc...... Now people can defend him as the greatest QB of all time when Bart Starr put more hardware into the packer trophy case? Bart Starr was raised to play football in that era and brett favre was raised to play football in his era. To say neither could adapt in each others era is short sighted if you ask me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is something that can NEVER be settled...

It is a personal preference on who you think is best...SB wins or records, or regular season wins

All will be different

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You basically said that just because a QB has the most rings it doesn't mean that he's the best. You said the same thing goes for kickers. The difference is that your QB play is often the thing that wins or loses you the game. Not your kicker. It's two different things. The QB-ring argument has merit. The kicker-ring argument does not.

Let's say that we - at some point - are arguing which NFL kicker is the greatest of all time (Key point here - the position is IRRELEVANT) and I argue that it has to be Roy Gerela because for no other reason, my criteria is Super Bowl rings and not the venue kicked in, career percentages, game winners, etc.

Do you understand what I was getting at now? And, while quarterbacks are the most important players on a team, they're still part of the team and need every other member on that team to play at a high and consistent level in order to achieve team success.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW I am old enough to say that I saw bart Starr play in Person. Twice at milwaukee county stadium when the packers played there some games. He was something to watch.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the whole deal: Wins, postseason wins, stats, awards, it's the whole thing IMO. But LT is right...
Could most likely have a good size list of canidates with strong arguements for all I guess. To each his own.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the whole deal: Wins, postseason wins, stats, awards, it's the whole thing IMO. But LT is right...

So, you're arguing for Starr who I have never heard mentioned by talking heads as being the greatest QB ever - even greatest Packers QB ever. Not that I put much credence into what Talking Heads have to say, but people generally follow these types blindly and regurgitate whatever they say as fact.

However, it's really far too subjective. If you went by numbers, Favre would certainly come out ahead. The only thing Starr has better numbers on is INT's and winning Championships. While QB's are important, they're not the ONLY reason teams win the Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer? Doug Williams? Eli Manning? Jim McMahon? Offense sells tickets, defenses wins games and special teams wins championships.