Favre vs. Packers: Throwing TDs or Throwing Games

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a load of crap. Retiring from the Jets in order to play with the queens was, indeed, a move plotted by him. But to say that he lost on purpose so he could look bad, so the Jets and any other team wouldn't want him, and he could go to the vikings for free is just paranoid. If he had won the SB he could have retired anyway and gone to the queens. And the 1st round pick we would have gotten wouldn't be close to compensate him winning a SB not playing for us. If that had happened, believe me, TT wouldn't be calling the shots right now. Favre is, indeed, washed up. If he can control himself, he is an improvement over anything the queens have, though. He wasn't just a gunslinger, like his stereotype. But if he thinks he can win games with his arm again, GB will have one less contender on the division.
-
But most of the article is good. He laid out the scenario of his years with TT in GB pretty well IMO.

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually thinking this same thing. What if he did? I have a hard time believing the injury is fake though.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying he couldn't do it because of his character. He has shown enough to me to doubt everything he says as being true. But i think it would be better for him to rub a great campaign in TT's face, specially with a Lombardi at the end, than just to denie us a 1st round pick, and play against us. Because his chances diminish as the years go by. Yeah, the vikings are a better team than the jets were, but he's not the same. If he goes out throwing picks, it'll crush'em.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he retired only so he could come back for Minnesota, I also dont think he lost so the Jets wouldn't want him. I think he still thought he could play football and Minnesota is the team that wants him, no vengeful thoughts, but maybe I'm naive.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't think he retired only so he could come back for Minnesota,

I do. Why secure your release if you plan on staying retired? The Jets would've put him on the Reserve/Retired List or whatever it's called, Favre would've rode his tractor into the sunset, and everyone would've been happy. Instead, he gets released, which would literally be for no reason if he were to stay retired, and thus begins the speculation and now here we are.

I think he retired with the intention of getting himself to Minnesota, I think Sanchez fell to the Jets so they didn't really care what he did, and the whole situation makes me sick.

Say Mark Sanchez was a Seahawk right now, I think the Jets probably wouldn't have been so willing to let Favre go. They had to have known when they released him that a Vikings comeback was a possibility. In a weird way, I think Mark Sanchez really triggered this whole deal.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way, he could of gone to the Vikings last year then couldn't he? Sadly, the Vikings make a perfect fit for Favre. They have a good defense and good offense but are lacking ONLY a decent QB. He goes there and makes an immediate impact. What other team would be a better fit for Favre?

Just to much reading into it. Yes it sucks, but the best option for Favre is the Vikings. But as a Packer fan, I wish he would just retire...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way, he could of gone to the Vikings last year then couldn't he? Sadly, the Vikings make a perfect fit for Favre. They have a good defense and good offense but are lacking ONLY a decent QB. He goes there and makes an immediate impact. What other team would be a better fit for Favre?

Just to much reading into it. Yes it sucks, but the best option for Favre is the Vikings. But as a Packer fan, I wish he would just retire...

Top 10 D of last year scoring allowed and with ? at q/b (Minnesota didnt even make top 10 )

Washington

Tampa

While I am a firm believer he tried to get to Minny last year, I do not think his entire plane all last year and part of this off season was just to make the jets release him

* speculation*
During a meeting with Jets and he sometime after the season they might had said, we want to go in another direction and that is when he asked to be released...

I do think that he only will play for Minny, cuz he has the need to stick it to Ted...Is that need the biggest dirving force? I doubt it, but its still there

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, it just seems weird. A guy I cheered on for so long, currently has the mindset to stick it to the Pack.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, it just seems weird. A guy I cheered on for so long, currently has the mindset to stick it to the Pack.

Not stick it to the Pack, just TT. Unfortunately we're collateral damage that he seems willing to allow. Let the chips fall where they may, just like TT did last season, gambling that more GB fans would side with him than #4.

I personally like watching #4 play football. He's not 26 anymore but still a talented athlete. If his presence in the division makes GB a better team then I'm on board, Vikings or otherwise.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I would like to watch him play, but I would never go against the Pack because he plays for Minnesota.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he retired only so he could come back for Minnesota, I also dont think he lost so the Jets wouldn't want him. I think he still thought he could play football and Minnesota is the team that wants him, no vengeful thoughts, but maybe I'm naive.

This is the most reasonable post I've read thus far.

The ridiculousness of the anti-Favre crowd is breath-taking and many of us seem to be "wet behind the ears" when it comes to a professional football player's desire to remain competitive.

I've read many clamoring that Favre is "washed-up" (God, I LOVE that one!) - yet in the same sentence they claim that even so, he's still better than anything Minnesota currently has.

So, a rational mind would then expect to utter the word, "Duh?!?!?", ya know? What exactly are some of you people trying to accomplish here? The man has moved on and there's nothing more painful than watching fans destroy themselves because they can't get over this fact.

Let it go, men. I think Brett has made it pretty clear that he doesn't give a rat's *** what the haters have to say about his "declining" skill set. He'll return if he wishes and the chips will fall where they may.

One point I'd like to emphasize is that you've got a rich Vikings' owner willing to bet the farm on Brett, and disgustingly rich guys don't make all that money by making poor decisions.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read many clamoring that Favre is "washed-up" (God, I LOVE that one!) - yet in the same sentence they claim that even so, he's still better than anything Minnesota currently has.
How is that contraditory? He's better than Tjack and Sage, but is worse than most qbs out there, and for sure is worse than he used to be, hence the washed up. Where's the contradiction???????

So, a rational mind would then expect to utter the word, "Duh?!?!?", ya know?
Love the "rational mind" part. Sure makes one sound intelligent, and every other that don't agree with him, idiotic.
What exactly are some of you people trying to accomplish here? The man has moved on and there's nothing more painful than watching fans destroy themselves because they can't get over this fact.
Yes, there is. Watching "fans" attack their own team and proclaim that they're gonna cheer for one of the biggest rivals just because of one man.

Let it go, men. I think Brett has made it pretty clear that he doesn't give a rat's *** what the haters have to say about his "declining" skill set. He'll return if he wishes and the chips will fall where they may.
Oh, so Brett says he doesn't care? The same Brett that said he would retire if the team ever considered trading him? The same Brett that EVERY year says he's gonna retire? The same Brett that said he wanted to "stick it" to the Packers? No, you're right, it's just football, I'm sure of it...

One point I'd like to emphasize is that you've got a rich Vikings' owner willing to bet the farm on Brett, and disgustingly rich guys don't make all that money by making poor decisions.
WHAAAAAT!!! So William Clay Ford Sr. doesn't make poor decisions, I guess... neither does Al Davis. Let alone Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones. And all those superbowls Wilf has also prove that he only makes good decisions... The only reason he want's Favre is so he can sell more tickets so the city buys him a new stadium (at the expense of taxpayers) and the team doesn't have to move to LA. If you think of it, monetarily, it is a good decision! Too bad the SB doesn't go to the team that has better profit...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, so Brett says he doesn't care? The same Brett that said he would retire if the team ever considered trading him? The same Brett that EVERY year says he's gonna retire? The same Brett that said he wanted to "stick it" to the Packers? No, you're right, it's just football, I'm sure of it...

First of all #4 never called a press conference to tell anyone that he was considering retirement until March of '08. The media instigated every story about the "will he/won't he" crap every year.

If #4 wanted to retreat to MS every off-season to do whatever, that was his prerogative. When the media queried him at a charitable event or golf tournament about his future he'd politely decline comment, not wanting to make that particular event about himself. Then that unscrupulous "journalist" would publish a "No-comment #4 keeping Pack in the dark about future" story & the haters would run with it.

How does that make it #4's fault?

Secondly, I'd like a clarification about when & where #4 said he wished to "stick it to the Packers". I recall him saying he wished to stick it to TT but never the Packers as a whole. If I'm wrong I'll admit it but I really can't recall a direct quote from #4 as you've stated it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about the media part. They sure love the speculation. It's not about the truth, it's about selling the news. But he's to blame. Like Donald's Designated Driver said in his blog a l l : k i n d s : o f : t i m e , it's the nondenial-denial declaration.

About the stick it to the packers, you're kind of right too. He said he DIDN'T want to do it just to "stick it to 'em" FREEDOM EDEN: Favre Wanted to Stick it to Ted Thompson But then again, he brought it up by himself.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant "stick it" to TT and not Green Bay that was a typo on my part.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts