Favre to retire

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Until Brett himself comes out and says it from his own lips... ah nevermind. ;)

The more I read and listen about.. the more I think there is a slight chance of hope that he yet could return.. something doesn't seem right about this whole thing.. maybe just wishful thinking.

Well, and that's what I'm wondering: why hasn't he scheduled a press conference? Why is there no official announcement? Maybe he wants to be persuaded back to the team.

It seems weird that if he is so intent to retire then why wouldn't he just hold an official press conference to say so? I'm sure he knows that everyone wants to hear it from him.

We'll see how this all plays out.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Pack93z said:

The more I read and listen about.. the more I think there is a slight chance of hope that he yet could return.. something doesn't seem right about this whole thing.. maybe just wishful thinking.

Well, and that's what I'm wondering: why hasn't he scheduled a press conference? Why is there no official announcement? Maybe he wants to be persuaded back to the team.

It seems weird that if he is so intent to retire then why wouldn't he just hold an official press conference to say so? I'm sure he knows that everyone wants to hear it from him.

They might have been planning that, but someone let the news slip out.
Now the cats outta the bag.

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one will not remember the last throw in the Giants game. I'll remember the stumble pass vs the Hawks, seeing my first NFL game, where the Pack defeated the Pats in the Super Bowl, the great pass to G.J. in monday night football.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll always be remembered by that shot of him running full tilt on the field of the Super Bowl holding his helmet, grinning and laughing on the way to his one Championship.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett may have thought the Packers didn't want him to return:

Quarterback Brett Favre told Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy Monday night that he was going to retire.

But his agent, James (Bus) Cook, told me a few minutes ago that he believes Favre wants to play another year and didn't get the sense that the Packers wanted him back all that badly.

"It's my opinion," Cook said of the Packers' lack of interest. "I know he wants to play one more year. I do not know much conversation there was (between Favre and the Packers) and I don't think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don't know that anyone tried to talk him out of it."

Cook said that Favre feels physically and mentally capable of playing at least one more year.

"I think he wanted to play," Cook said. " I think he's still got it. He knows he's still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don't know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That's just the feeling I got."

Cook was asked whether he thought Favre could be talked into returning: "I don't know," he said.

McCarthy said recently that he and general manager Ted Thompson sat down during the bye week of the playoffs and evaluated tape of Favre to determine whether he could still play. McCarthy said that they came to the conclusion that he was still able to play the game at a high level.

During the off-season, there were reports that Thompson had not done much to encourage Favre to return and that Favre's feeling was that the Packers weren't fired up about bringing him back. After reports surfaced of Favre's uneasiness about Thompson's lack of communication, Thompson told reporters at the combine that he called Favre to talk about the future.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett may have thought the Packers didn't want him to return:

Quarterback Brett Favre told Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy Monday night that he was going to retire.

But his agent, James (Bus) Cook, told me a few minutes ago that he believes Favre wants to play another year and didn't get the sense that the Packers wanted him back all that badly.

"It's my opinion," Cook said of the Packers' lack of interest. "I know he wants to play one more year. I do not know much conversation there was (between Favre and the Packers) and I don't think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don't know that anyone tried to talk him out of it."

Cook said that Favre feels physically and mentally capable of playing at least one more year.

"I think he wanted to play," Cook said. " I think he's still got it. He knows he's still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don't know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That's just the feeling I got."

Cook was asked whether he thought Favre could be talked into returning: "I don't know," he said.

McCarthy said recently that he and general manager Ted Thompson sat down during the bye week of the playoffs and evaluated tape of Favre to determine whether he could still play. McCarthy said that they came to the conclusion that he was still able to play the game at a high level.

During the off-season, there were reports that Thompson had not done much to encourage Favre to return and that Favre's feeling was that the Packers weren't fired up about bringing him back. After reports surfaced of Favre's uneasiness about Thompson's lack of communication, Thompson told reporters at the combine that he called Favre to talk about the future.

May be Cook wants another BIG paycheck for being Brett Favre's agent?!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers_Finland said:
Well, at least we freed up 11 million of cap space.

Is that how much it is? So 11 million going under Thompson's mattress, eh? Could get lumpy, might be bad for his back.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems pretty surreal. I knew Brett would eventually retire, I just didn't think he would do it after a career resurgence. He still has it in him. Thanks for the memories Brett!

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A sad day nonetheless. I really though for sure he'd stick around for one more year, but what do you do? Thanks for the memories Brett and you will be missed.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we will see a great exodus of so-called fans. People who were Favre fans and not Packers fans will move on to other star players and be fans of those teams.

I shall call this "The Great Cleansing"

note: I don't blame anyone for being just a Favre fan. Favre was awesome, but don't pretend to be something you're not.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we will see a great exodus of so-called fans. People who were Favre fans and not Packers fans will move on to other star players and be fans of those teams.

I shall call this "The Great Cleansing"

note: I don't blame anyone for being just a Favre fan. Favre was awesome, but don't pretend to be something you're not.

Screw you man, when i was Five years old i saw Brett Favre on TV then i went and had a sandwich...IT WAS THE BEST SANDWICH I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE :cry:

But yah i totally agree unless these people convert from Favre worshipping to Jarett Bush hating, which did seem to be on the rise last season :-?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will he be remembered for his so called errant pass vs. the Giants in his last throw?

You mean this one?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sorry, I seen this on another forum. Favre will be remembered for being a man-child who broke all the records and being one of the best and most exciting players to ever play the game.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Pack93z said:

TT and McCarthy's presser is at 4 eastern. Just heard it on NFLN.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've heard it was mainly due to the mental aspect of coming back which caused his decision. He knows physically that he can play, he just doesn't want to study so hard.
After he has to eat this decision for a few days/ weeks, I'm guessing he gets real bored just spending time with his family/hunting/ and golfing. It would not surprise me if he changes his mind.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't there anything else to talk about? Was this Favre guy even very good?

He's like the Taco Wallace of QBs. People like to bring him up cuz his name is funny.

fahv-ruh

Members online

Latest posts