1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Favre to retire

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by digsthepack, Mar 4, 2008.

1. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, and that's what I'm wondering: why hasn't he scheduled a press conference? Why is there no official announcement? Maybe he wants to be persuaded back to the team.

It seems weird that if he is so intent to retire then why wouldn't he just hold an official press conference to say so? I'm sure he knows that everyone wants to hear it from him.

We'll see how this all plays out.

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    They might have been planning that, but someone let the news slip out.
    Now the cats outta the bag.

3. Packers_Finland

Packers_Finland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I for one will not remember the last throw in the Giants game. I'll remember the stumble pass vs the Hawks, seeing my first NFL game, where the Pack defeated the Pats in the Super Bowl, the great pass to G.J. in monday night football.

4. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the memories, Brett!

5. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He'll always be remembered by that shot of him running full tilt on the field of the Super Bowl holding his helmet, grinning and laughing on the way to his one Championship.

6. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Brett may have thought the Packers didn't want him to return:

Quarterback Brett Favre told Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy Monday night that he was going to retire.

But his agent, James (Bus) Cook, told me a few minutes ago that he believes Favre wants to play another year and didn't get the sense that the Packers wanted him back all that badly.

"It's my opinion," Cook said of the Packers' lack of interest. "I know he wants to play one more year. I do not know much conversation there was (between Favre and the Packers) and I don't think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don't know that anyone tried to talk him out of it."

Cook said that Favre feels physically and mentally capable of playing at least one more year.

"I think he wanted to play," Cook said. " I think he's still got it. He knows he's still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don't know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That's just the feeling I got."

Cook was asked whether he thought Favre could be talked into returning: "I don't know," he said.

McCarthy said recently that he and general manager Ted Thompson sat down during the bye week of the playoffs and evaluated tape of Favre to determine whether he could still play. McCarthy said that they came to the conclusion that he was still able to play the game at a high level.

During the off-season, there were reports that Thompson had not done much to encourage Favre to return and that Favre's feeling was that the Packers weren't fired up about bringing him back. After reports surfaced of Favre's uneasiness about Thompson's lack of communication, Thompson told reporters at the combine that he called Favre to talk about the future.

7. Packers_Finland

Packers_Finland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, at least we freed up 11 million of cap space.

8. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    May be Cook wants another BIG paycheck for being Brett Favre's agent?!

9. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd trade it back in a heartbeat.

10. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Is that how much it is? So 11 million going under Thompson's mattress, eh? Could get lumpy, might be bad for his back.

11. packersfan4life

packersfan4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I see the same Breaking News page that was leaked last week is now up at Packers.com

Linky

12. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    This seems pretty surreal. I knew Brett would eventually retire, I just didn't think he would do it after a career resurgence. He still has it in him. Thanks for the memories Brett!

13. packersfan4life

packersfan4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A sad day nonetheless. I really though for sure he'd stick around for one more year, but what do you do? Thanks for the memories Brett and you will be missed.

14. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Now we will see a great exodus of so-called fans. People who were Favre fans and not Packers fans will move on to other star players and be fans of those teams.

I shall call this "The Great Cleansing"

note: I don't blame anyone for being just a Favre fan. Favre was awesome, but don't pretend to be something you're not.

15. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    The pathetic thing is that even though Favre is retiring, the Packers still have the best quarterback in the division.

16. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Screw you man, when i was Five years old i saw Brett Favre on TV then i went and had a sandwich...IT WAS THE BEST SANDWICH I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE :cry:

But yah i totally agree unless these people convert from Favre worshipping to Jarett Bush hating, which did seem to be on the rise last season :-?

17. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You mean this one?

[​IMG]

Sorry, I seen this on another forum. Favre will be remembered for being a man-child who broke all the records and being one of the best and most exciting players to ever play the game.

18. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TT and McCarthy's presser is at 4 eastern. Just heard it on NFLN.

19. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    it's on packers.com now.

20. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Even though I'm pretty damn sad now, this made me laugh. Thanks.

21. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    No problem.

22. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've heard it was mainly due to the mental aspect of coming back which caused his decision. He knows physically that he can play, he just doesn't want to study so hard.
    After he has to eat this decision for a few days/ weeks, I'm guessing he gets real bored just spending time with his family/hunting/ and golfing. It would not surprise me if he changes his mind.

23. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there anything else to talk about? Was this Favre guy even very good?

24. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

25. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    He's like the Taco Wallace of QBs. People like to bring him up cuz his name is funny.

fahv-ruh