Favre > Rodgers > Love

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt say Lombardi wouldn't be successful, but that he wasn't after he left and yes, sadly, limited data.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that great coaches need great players, as much as great players need great coaches to obtain successful team results. In the case of BB and Brady, things aligned for them both quite well In New England. Sure Brady won a SB without BB, but I wouldn't put it past BB to do the same.
Ironically his record for that one year in Washington was the same as his first year in Green Bay (although he did add a pair of ties in Washington).

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so. I mean how was Lombardi after he left Green Bay? How would he have been without Bart Starr and several other stars?

Lombardi coached the Redskins for one season and then died of cancer. He led them to a record of 7-5-2 for a .583 winning percentage, which was the best record the Redskins had over the previous 15 seasons. He took a moribund franchise and turned them into winners in one season. His coaching in 1969 was a success by any reasonable measure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We never really found out because he passed away shortly after. So while you say he wouldn't have been as successful, it's only conjecture.
The Redskins under Lombardi suddenly believed they could win every Sunday according to Sonny Jurgenson who was his uber gifted QB. Lombardi's coaching talent and leadership was his hallmark. He wasn't any better or more innovative at schemes and X's and O's than most coaches. He knew how to produce the will to win.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Lombardi as GM also set them up to be successful a few years later? Instilled the winning attitude?

The team regressed to 6-8 in 1970, which was right after Vince passed away.

From 1971-1977 the team was run by George Allen (both head coach and GM). He turned the team around winning at least 9 games every season during that run (in a 14 game season) making the playoffs 5 out of 7 years.

I would say their success was more due to George Allen than the inspiration of Lombardi. Allen famously hated rookies and was always happy to trade draft picks for veterans. During his 1971 to 1977 run he traded every 1st round pick he had. In 1971 he did make a 2nd round pick.

From 1972 to 1976 he never made a pick before the 5th round. In 1977 his first draft pick was in the 4th round.

As crazy as that seems today, there was a certain logic to his plan given that salaries were controlled for veterans and there was no free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I do "LOVE" seeing this! 2 guys, working on their craft, when it isn't mandatory for them to do so.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought off season timing sessions have zero place in GB????
LOL....I knew that would come up. :D

But I happen to semi-agree with this "tweeter", even though I do think the Packers would have been better off, as a team, if Rodgers had done things like this, as well as OTA's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....I knew that would come up. :D

But I happen to semi-agree with this "tweeter", even though I do think the Packers would have been better off, as a team, if Rodgers had done things like this, as well as OTA's.

Absolutely the truth there. This is more about Love and honestly Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Absolutely the truth there. This is more about Love and honestly Jones.
Just like I do not see Love skipping OTA's. Fans are going to naturally want to compare what Rodgers did and what Love does. While I get that, people need to see that they are 2 very different people, in very different points in their careers.

Love has to be on cloud 9, as it appears he is finally going to get a chance to play. I couldn't blame him one bit if he does a backflip, if and when a Rodgers trade becomes official.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like I do not see Love skipping OTA's. Fans are going to naturally want to compare what Rodgers did and what Love does. While I get that, people need to see that they are 2 very different people, in very different points in their careers.

Love has to be on cloud 9, as it appears he is finally going to get a chance to play. I couldn't blame him one bit if he does a backflip, if and when a Rodgers trade becomes official.

Love is a grade A human being. He will be very courteous and honestly I wouldn't expect anything from him unless it is a very short and precise thank you and tribute to Aaron for all he's been to him. Even if they have a terrible relationship, Love is not the type to do anything otherwise - he and his camp know this isn't the moment to celebrate, earning what is given is when that moment is for.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Love is a grade A human being. He will be very courteous and honestly I wouldn't expect anything from him unless it is a very short and precise thank you and tribute to Aaron for all he's been to him. Even if they have a terrible relationship, Love is not the type to do anything otherwise - he and his camp know this isn't the moment to celebrate, earning what is given is when that moment is for.
Agreed. If nothing else, Love should have learned mostly positive things from Rodgers. I am guessing that he also learned what doesn't sit well with the FO and fans (most).

I also acknowledge that Rodgers, unlike Favre, did Jordan a solid by being a good mentor. AR might have been unhappy with the selection of Love, but apparently never used that against Jordan. As much as some of us throw shade on Rodgers, I for one have and will continue to praise and acknowledge all the good things he did as a Packer.

Sometimes I feel like a kid in a divorce. Liking and seeing both sides, but eventually having to live with the results and one of those sides.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just like I do not see Love skipping OTA's.

Love should definitely show up for OTAs. He's a first year starter and not a veteran who has played in the league for over a decade.

If nothing else, Love should have learned mostly positive things from Rodgers. I am guessing that he also learned what doesn't sit well with the FO and fans (most).

I'm pretty confident it's only a small portion of the fan base which is upset with Rodgers.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironically his record for that one year in Washington was the same as his first year in Green Bay (although he did add a pair of ties in Washington).
He added several players to that team but they had a long abysmal record for many years in the NFL. Washington saw the Giants, Browns, and Cowboys enjoy good years during the 60s. But not them. Just like in GB a great coach needs great players but a great coach can " make " great players. And he can certainly make a difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All in all, I am really happy with the season that Jordan Love has had. I expected a lot more rookie type mistakes and less command at the LOS than he has shown. I think that as long as he keeps progressing, we have our QB for another 10+ years.

I know some of you wanted to make one more run at a Lombardi with Rodgers behind center, which probably would have meant giving up on Love. I am just fine with the way it worked out for the Packers.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect he had good parenting.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect he had good parenting.

For sure likely. Love's demeanor and character is for sure one of his greatest aspects his parents instilled in him for sure. Not to go the religious angle, but the young man actually first caught my eye when he came to Washington and lit the world unfire...I was watching a game and they showed him on the sideline wiping his mouth after a drink of water and I caught his bracelet. He, like I, constantly wears (me for more than decade now) an IAmSecond bracelet - which is a life lived with the perspective of putting God and others first....I knew then the character he at minimum was pursuing, even if he wasn't there yet like me.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure likely. Love's demeanor and character is for sure one of his greatest aspects his parents instilled in him for sure. Not to go the religious angle, but the young man actually first caught my eye when he came to Washington and lit the world unfire...I was watching a game and they showed him on the sideline wiping his mouth after a drink of water and I caught his bracelet. He, like I, constantly wears (me for more than decade now) an IAmSecond bracelet - which is a life lived with the perspective of putting God and others first....I knew then the character he at minimum was pursuing, even if he wasn't there yet like me.
Remind you of a QB that wore #15 that played at Lambeau Field?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win this game Jordan Love will become the first Qb in history to lead the team to the playoffs in their first year as the full time starter

Huge Opportunity!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win this game Jordan Love will become the first Qb in history to lead the team to the playoffs in their first year as the full time starter
Not only that, we want him to establish early that he is going to continue the dominance over the Bears that Favre and Rodgers had. Don't want to get knocked out of the playoffs by a division rival at home in the last game of the year again either.

Members online

Latest posts