Favre: Pack Should Let Me Play Elsewhere

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brett Favre should honour his contract if he decides to come back. He signed it, and if he loses his job in competition, he has got no right to demand his release. This is professional football, you don't get handed a job, even if your name is Brett Favre. Since Brett Favre has been 'retired' by his own decisions so far in the offseason, Aaron Rodgers has been our no. 1 QB so far, and so far the job is his, if Brett wants to be no. 1 again, he will have to come into camp and prove he really is no. 1. I don't care who's cousin you are, I don't care who you know or who's c**** you're sucking on. You have to prove yourself worthy even if you're name is Brett Favre.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
I am liking Brett less and less the more i hear.

Uh, yes. Can't believe some of what I am picking up here and there.

just in general, im really disappointed. Favre was the constant. By now you can't really be suprised when a celebrity or athlete messes up or does something selfish or evil or even something that just lacks basic human kindness. But i never wanted to see Favre be part of that. I always wanted to think he was above it.

I am not sellin Favre out yet though. I still love the guy and i will wait till every leaf has turned over. but so far it isnt looking good.

just seems like all this could have been avoided by just staying put.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brett Favre should honour his contract if he decides to come back. He signed it, and if he loses his job in competition, he has got no right to demand his release. This is professional football, you don't get handed a job, even if your name is Brett Favre. Since Brett Favre has been 'retired' by his own decisions so far in the offseason, Aaron Rodgers has been our no. 1 QB so far, and so far the job is his, if Brett wants to be no. 1 again, he will have to come into camp and prove he really is no. 1. I don't care who's cousin you are, I don't care who you know or who's **** you're sucking on. You have to prove yourself worthy even if you're name is Brett Favre.

he *****ed Javon Walker out for the same thing... If he doesnt do that... then i will lose most respect for him. you know how when Bart Starr talks... people in Green Bay and Packer fans still listen and genuinely want to know what he thinks. I wont be able to say the same for Favre.

God i didnt see this coming.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am not sellin Favre out yet though. I still love the guy and i will wait till every leaf has turned over. but so far it isnt looking good.

just seems like all this could have been avoided by just staying put.

+1 ... agreed.. 16 years of mostly joy, success and fun.. that means something..

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy wants to Unretire, understands the team may not want him back because of that, so wants to play elsewhere. Tell me what is wrong with that?

So they are saying you are not good enough to play on our team, but at the same time we won't release you to play elsewhere because you are too good?

If you are SCARED to play against Brett, like Ted is, Why wouldn't you take him aboard your team over a injury riddled maybe and 2 rookies? It defies logic, but reeks of Ego.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy wants to Unretire, understands the team may not want him back because of that, so wants to play elsewhere. Tell me what is wrong with that?

So they are saying you are not good enough to play on our team, but at the same time we won't release you to play elsewhere because you are too good?

If you are SCARED to play against Brett, like Ted is, Why wouldn't you take him aboard your team over a injury riddled maybe and 2 rookies? It defies logic, but reeks of Ego.
My thoughts exactly. There is nothing wrong with what Favre is doing here at all. He's accepted the Packers want to move on, so he now wants the chance to play elsewhere, and the Packers won't let him? Ted looks very bad right now. He won't let Brett play for the Packers or the chance to play for another team. What a tool.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:

My thoughts exactly. There is nothing wrong with what Favre is doing here at all. He's accepted the Packers want to move on, so he now wants the chance to play elsewhere, and the Packers won't let him? Ted looks very bad right now. He won't let Brett play for the Packers or the chance to play for another team. What a tool.

It's either Totally Ego Driven or one of the more Bizarre moves ever made.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are welcoming him back to compete for the job, he has no right whatsoever to demand a release or trade. By doing so, he would be no better than Javon Walker.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The keys for me were that Brett and Greta actually think that he deserves the right to go negotiate with anyone he wants. That just doesn't happen in any pro sport. I'd run Thompson out of town if he did that. However, if I were Thompson, I'd also have said, "are you really serious about coming back? If you are, you will have to compete with Aaron and the new offense because we put that in because you told us you were retiring." And I would have also said, are you going to live out the remainder of your contract or are we going to go through this again next year? And if not, I would have told Brett, then you're done. We will retire you and you can come back and play in three years when your contract is up with us. We're not going to let you come back and beat us.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings85 said:
dd80forever said:

im pretty sure he'll get dealt, but he's definitely not getting released. so he'll get to play, just not completely on his own terms.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are welcoming him back to compete for the job, he has no right whatsoever to demand a release or trade. By doing so, he would be no better than Javon Walker.

you can't compare Walker's situation with Brett's. thats a huuuge stretch and they're really nothing alike in my opinion. it's not even close.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we get a second round pick and a player for a 38 year old QB, it would be the trade of the decade.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

you can't compare Walker's situation with Brett's. thats a huuuge stretch and they're really nothing alike in my opinion. it's not even close.

Both under contract, both demanding to be released/traded because the management doesn't want to give them what their big egos demand/ed.

I think the situation is very comparable. Brett Favre is under contract, and that is something he will have to respect. He shouldn't expect to be handed a job. This is professional football, these are professional athletes and they have to fight for their job every day.

Brett Favre seems to think he can have it any way he'd like with the Packers, and that the Packers owe him the world.

However, no single player is bigger than the Green Bay Packers franchise, not even if you're name is Brett Favre.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
Jennings85 said:
dd80forever said:

im pretty sure he'll get dealt, but he's definitely not getting released. so he'll get to play, just not completely on his own terms.

Favre can take away any leverage they have in a trade. Example.

Packers want to trade Favre to the Dolphins. Favre talks to Parcels and says, "no way, i dont think so" and "trade for me but you will be paying me 13 million and giving up a draft pick to sit on the bench till i retire at the end of the year"

This is why Favre has all the leverage in any trade he might not like. The only option is to give him a fair shot at playing or release him or trade him to somewhere he wants to go. There are a limited number of teams that can carry his salary and nobody will want to do it if Favre would be unhappy so nobody will trade for him unless Favre gives the go ahead.

I have a feeling they will be talking about this 40 years from now how the Packers forced Favre out if in fact they do.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

Its not really a stretch. Favre would rather retire or be released than to play with the Packers. that sounds like an exact direct quote from Javon Walker... which Favre quickly and unneccesarily commented on.

I realize Favre has given a lot to this place, and Javon had given barely anything... BUT in the end they all get paid to play the game and they all have to abide by contracts. no one is above the team and the very second you let a player become bigger than a team and its rules... then you lose all credibility.

but i understand... this is a much more emotionally charged situation.

still wish he would have rode off into the sunset like he should have.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Brett had a great season last year, but... so did the Packers. I seem to recall defense bailing Brett out a handful of times last season. People say well this team is primed and ready for the Super Bowl. Well last season we didn't get there. We got a ball lobbed up for a pick. Who is to say that won't happen again with Brett around.

I don't see what is so egotistical about moving on. I think its risks are balanced firmly with the risks of saying "Hey Brett you want to come back now well hey sure here is your starting job!" It is no walk in the park dealing with a situation like this, so I think we need to cut some slack to both sides of this situation.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Bertram said:

Both under contract, both demanding to be released/traded because the management doesn't want to give them what their big egos demand/ed.

I think the situation is very comparable. Brett Favre is under contract, and that is something he will have to respect. He shouldn't expect to be handed a job. This is professional football, these are professional athletes and they have to fight for their job every day.

Brett Favre seems to think he can have it any way he'd like with the Packers, and that the Packers owe him the world.

However, no single player is bigger than the Green Bay Packers franchise, not even if you're name is Brett Favre.

i just find it funny that you would put Brett in the same light as Javon Walker...and not see anything wrong with that. as players they are WORLDS apart, the scenarios are WORLDS apart.

we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a lose lose situation the the Packers Management. I think there is no way, after all this commotion, Favre will be a Green Bay Packer next season. Either he will stay retired because the situation drags out untill august and the Packers say he will be stacked behind Rodgers and Brohm in the queue because he hasn't participated in the offseason activities. Or the more unfavourable alternative, he is traded to a different team.

If the Bucs are in fact willing to ship a 2nd rounder and Simms for Favre, I would jump the gun because it's a quick and an easy solution to a huge distraction.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
dd80forever said:
Jennings85 said:
dd80forever said:

Favre can take away any leverage they have in a trade. Example.

Packers want to trade Favre to the Dolphins. Favre talks to Parcels and says, "no way, i dont think so" and "trade for me but you will be paying me 13 million and giving up a draft pick to sit on the bench till i retire at the end of the year"

This is why Favre has all the leverage in any trade he might not like. The only option is to give him a fair shot at playing or release him or trade him to somewhere he wants to go. There are a limited number of teams that can carry his salary and nobody will want to do it if Favre would be unhappy so nobody will trade for him unless Favre gives the go ahead.

I have a feeling they will be talking about this 40 years from now how the Packers forced Favre out if in fact they do.

not really man.

if Favre pulls the "TO to Baltimore" stunt, he'd still be on the bench in GB. and thats not even considering what that will do to his reputation.

the leverage is with the Packers, easily.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Bertram said:

i just find it funny that you would put Brett in the same light as Javon Walker...and not see anything wrong with that. as players they are WORLDS apart, the scenarios are WORLDS apart.

we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I don't care if you're Javon Walker, Terrell Owens or Brett Favre. Every player has to honour his contract. These guys get payed the big bucks, Brett Favre has made more in one year than most people make in a lifetime. I don't think the Packers owe him a release.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if you're Javon Walker, Terrell Owens or Brett Favre. Every player has to honour his contract. These guys get payed the big bucks, Brett Favre has made more in one year than most people make in a lifetime. I don't think the Packers owe him a release.

I was a supervisor over a shift for a bit and I had to lay off a number of people once. One thing I heard several times was "All the time I have put in here this company owes me more than this (meaning just laying me off)." I thought about that for a while wondering if they may be right. Then I realized that everything the company owed them they got at the end of every week in the form of a check. The Packers are a buisness just like the one I worked for and all they owe Brett they have given him in the form of a check. Pay for services rendered.