Favre needs glasses!!!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought. Yesterday, while I am tickled that we are 5-1. I am concerned by the trend that Brett had yesterday. 4 long balls, 4 badly underthrown balls. two intercepted.

Easily, Jennings would have scored on his had the ball flown another 10 yards. Brett admited he just underestimated the distance.

We all know Brett's age. And some of us also know that right around 40 (give or take a couple of years) our eyes, almost over night, get bad. Could this be the case for Brett? Should we all pitch in and pay for him to get his eyes examined?

From far out in left field....just a thought.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
As long as they don't look like these...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was more a product of bad foot work(throwing off his back foot), that cause the bad throws. His accuracy so far this year has been better than it has been in years. So I don't think eyesight is the issue.

A wet ball, throwing off his back foot, and an unnecessary pump fake on the Jennings throw, were what caused the bad throws.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His long ball accuracy has never been good. I also think it's gotten worse. However, his throwing form (as mentioned above) could have a lot to do with it.

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His long ball accuracy has never been good. I also think it's gotten worse. However, his throwing form (as mentioned above) could have a lot to do with it.

Favre is actually one of the better long ball throwers. He has a hell of an arm.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck, age? You guys see vinny testaverde tearin it up yesterday? What a guy 43 years old and still goin strong. I dont think its favres eyes. This game reminded me a lot of the Philly game that we opened the season with. We ended up winning barely and our offense wasnt even close to par. So I think it is safe to say that our defense and special teams are able to step up when the offense is down and pull out a win. That is something good teams do.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why GJ could not have seen the ball was underthrown, and made an adjustment to at least make a play on the ball.
heck, a saftey sprints 30 yrds and jumps up and makes a grab b/f a Packer receiver can make a play ???!!!!!!

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is actually one of the better long ball throwers. He has a hell of an arm.

He "had" a hell of an arm. Yesterday was the first time i really noticed that his arm isnt what it used to be. 3 or 4 of his deep balls were noticeably short

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if part of it is not being really familiar with his young WR's, and really how fast they can run? Jennings and Jones are both pretty new, and maybe Favre doesn't really know and is afraid of over throwing them?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if part of it is not being really familiar with his young WR's, and really how fast they can run? Jennings and Jones are both pretty new, and maybe Favre doesn't really know and is afraid of over throwing them?

I defend Favre to no end but on a couple of those long throws he reared back and gave it all he had, he just didnt have enough juice in the shoulder i think. I hope im wrong.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

I defend Favre to no end but on a couple of those long throws he reared back and gave it all he had, he just didnt have enough juice in the shoulder i think. I hope im wrong.
Well....he IS getting old, by football standards. The rain might have been a factor too. I still think he just doesn't have the timing down with the kids yet. I HOPE thats what it is. Even if it's not...........he still has the zip on the shorter ones.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought that the long ball was not one of the better parts of Favre's game. Of course he has a very strong arm, but his accuracy is not the best on those throws. I'm not knocking him, because there are very few QB's who can throw a really accurate deep ball, and none of them have been nearly as good as Favre in other aspects of the game.

Favre's arm still looks very strong on all his other throws, so I think yesterday's underthrows were just a glitch. Maybe he wasn't able to plant his foot right on the wet field, maybe the wind caught the ball, or maybe he just made a couple of bad throws, plain and simple.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May just be a case of a bad game. QB's do have those you know and the good news is we won and usually after a bad one Brett comes back strong especially on a primetime game.
I'll admit the long balls looked bad yesterday but it seems hard to believe he's losing arm strength when he still throws the slant harder then anyone. I think the long ball could have to do with a few faults but arm strength is definately not one of them.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....he IS getting old, by football standards. The rain might have been a factor too. I still think he just doesn't have the timing down with the kids yet. I HOPE thats what it is. Even if it's not...........he still has the zip on the shorter ones.

Wow cheesey, I thought you were going to blame the "refs" for that too! :D

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

He was falling back as he threw. for sure, they were ugly throws, but a few ugly throws does not a dead arm make.

packfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could the conditions ( raining/ wet ball) had any effect? We saw Redskins receivers dropping a lot of passes, the conditions played a role in that. Crosby missed two kicks and fell on a kickoff... Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit the long balls looked bad yesterday but it seems hard to believe he's losing arm strength when he still throws the slant harder then anyone. .

I agree with that. Nobody throws a harder slant pass but still, those slant passes used to break the receivers fingers all the time. Now its usually just a sprain or they only break a finger once in a while :)

He did show excellent touch on one sideline pass and the Bubba TD they took away, something Favre isnt known as much for.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could the conditions ( raining/ wet ball) had any effect? We saw Redskins receivers dropping a lot of passes, the conditions played a role in that. Crosby missed two kicks and fell on a kickoff... Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Nice to see some sense in this thread !!!

bakler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
um do you guys think that is the first time they ever ran those plays? they do practice all week and if the coaches saw that favre didn't have the arm strength to get it there or the timing down they wouldn't be running those plays. I think it was just a case of favre not knowing how good sean taylor really is, and on the jennings underthrow a. he waited far too long to throw it and b. jennings should easily made some sort of play on the ball, it was almost as if he gave up cause of the poor throw.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
um do you guys think that is the first time they ever ran those plays? they do practice all week and if the coaches saw that favre didn't have the arm strength to get it there or the timing down they wouldn't be running those plays. I think it was just a case of favre not knowing how good sean taylor really is, and on the jennings underthrow a. he waited far too long to throw it and b. jennings should easily made some sort of play on the ball, it was almost as if he gave up cause of the poor throw.

that's what I'm saying, a saftey runs 30 yards across the field and leaps up to make a catch b/f GJ can make a play.

why?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings could have gotten his body in position where the DB has to run him over to make a play. ESPECIALLY as long as it was taking the ball to get to him. He may very well have not seen the guy coming but that's no excuse IMO for not protecting the throw.

Favre had two choices and he chose the third which was a mistake.

He could have zipped it in there early which probably means the DB gets there before the WR can get in the end zone OR he leads them FURTHER down the field where the DB can't catch up to it.

I think BF THOUGHT he had done the later and just underthrew the ball both times causing the WR to wait on it.

Arm strength? Not a problem. He didn't use a quarter of his arm strength in either of those throws. He could have gotten(and should have gotten it) much further downfield.